HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 1:45 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

cuomo, christie and the port authority step up for their half of the gateway tunnel $$$:

TRANSIT
Gateway Tunnel Program funding deal between Cuomo, Christie puts pressure on Trump

By Vincent Barone vin.barone@amny.com December 14, 2017

Govs. Andrew Cuomo and Chris Christie on Thursday committed to pay for about half of a vital new train tunnel under the Hudson River, putting pressure on the Trump administration to fund the rest.

The governors announced that they’re budgeting a combined $5.55 billion through various agencies in order to cover half the cost of the Gateway Tunnel Program, a project to replace the 107-year-old Amtrak tunnel under the Hudson River that was badly damaged during superstorm Sandy in 2012.

The commitment represents a fulfillment of an Obama-era agreement establishing that the two states would fund half of the project, with the federal government picking up the rest of the tab.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/gateway...ing-1.15455694

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
They need to do something about the crippling traffic. Its getting to the point where "NYC Gridlock Alert" is being shown on those electronic billboards daily.

Something needs to be done to alleviate the traffic on the BQE.

I-278 (BQE/SI Express) is slow moving from the minute you pass the Goethals all the way up to where it interests with Queens-Midtown Express aka I-495. A giant parking lot. If it moved at 10 mph I'd be happy, but it doesn't.

I wonder if freeing up the HOV lane would help the flow? Just suspending it in general.

Getting rid of those barricades and increasing the speed limit through the cash-less tolls would help. Seems like folks slow down to a crawl and cause a jam even though you can just drive through it.

Lastly, the city needs to relook at the timing of traffic lights in busy intersections or neighborhoods.

Today it took me almost 40 minutes to go through Flatbush to Grand Army Plaza via the Manhattan Bridge. The lights are too short on major avenues. Not to mention the nightmare on the BQE. Add that with the double parked trucks, and aggressive kamikaze MTA buses, and its a shit-show.
If you really want to get rid of the traffic, they need to build the Robert Moses skyway freeway plan and expand the freeways around the core of the city. New mass transit lines will not be the cure all and congestion pricing is unlikely to be implemented--imo, it shouldn't be anyways.

If Trump's infrastructure plan comes into play(which I have my doubts), the subway system needs to go into overdrive expansion mode and start on everything and then some yesterday. As for ending the 24hr service, that is depressing, hopefully it doesn't happen. People's lives don't end at night. Here I am in Los Angeles wanting to see lines quad tracked so they can run 24 hour service.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 1:32 PM

New York’s Next Subway Chief Will Mull Closing Lines for Repairs

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/15/n...ing-lines.html

Quote:

- The veteran transit executive from Toronto hired to run New York City’s subway said he was considering a series of aggressive steps to shore up the city’s faltering system, including shutting down lines for long periods of work with the goal of modernizing the system in years, not decades. — Andy Byford, the chief executive of the Toronto Transit Commission, also said he would scrutinize how the subway spends money and consider overhauling senior management, and suggested that congestion pricing — charging fees to drive into the most crowded parts of Manhattan as a way to raise money for transit — was a worthy idea.

- But it is Mr. Byford’s openness to shutting down subway lines that is sure to attract attention, and condemnation, in a city where a 24-hour subway system is considered sacrosanct. Mr. Byford stressed that real progress would require hard choices. — “The only way to do that is to get in the tunnels and do the work, and you cannot do that when trains are running, period,” Mr. Byford said in a wide-ranging interview between meetings during his waning days in Toronto. “If we’re really serious we have to bite the bullet and to a certain extent inconvenience people while we get the work done, but I will hold myself accountable to New Yorkers to say it will be worth the pain.”

- While Toronto’s system is far smaller, those seeking a guide to what Mr. Byford might do in New York can look to his playbook here — he shut down the subway on weekends to repair switches and tracks and lay the groundwork for new signals. — Mr. Byford also focused on quick wins like cleaning subways, renovating bathrooms, creating rider-friendly signage and pushing train operators to make announcements about delays. He also took on the transit union over contracting out garbage collection and other services and instituting one-person train operations. — The system he inherited was rife with problems familiar to New Yorkers — constant delays, poor maintenance, aging equipment and a dim public image.

- The Toronto Transit Commission was named the 2017 Transit System of the Year by the American Public Transportation Association, citing the system for reducing delays and increasing customer satisfaction. — “He stopped the erosion of public confidence,” said Franz Hartmann, executive director of the Toronto Environmental Alliance. “He was up against huge structural problems, a lack of funding and politicization on how to expand the T.T.C. Could he have done a better job? Maybe, but you can’t fault him for politicians not willing to spend the money that was required.”

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 11:52 PM

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 2:41 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

there is no chance nyc is losing 24/7 subway service. everyone, including every politician, is against it.

i could see closing individual lines or partial lines for work though.

however, this trump tax breaks for the rich tax plan news isnt helping either situation:

GOP tax plan will jeopardize MTA funding, report says

By Vincent Barone vin.barone@amny.com December 18, 2017

“It’s kind of hard to escape that it’s just a middle finger to transit, generally,” Nicholas Sifuentes, executive director of the Tri-State Transportation Campaign, said of the plan.

more:
https://www.amny.com/news/gop-tax-pl...ing-1.15498136

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 3:03 PM

It was just certain segments of lines closing and only on weekends, replaced by shuttle bus service with at least 2 weeks notice.

Another feature was to employ station managers for all stations that would oversee 6-7 stations next to each other.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:27 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

C trains get upgraded to fit more riders

Quote:
All aboard the C train — there’s plenty of room now.

The MTA has added 40 extra-long cars to the C line to make more room for riders, officials said Monday.

The agency replaced some of its ancient R32 cars – which date back to the 1960s and are only 60 feet long – with 75-foot long R46 models. The cars will hold about 25 percent more riders, said MTA spokesman Jon Weinstein.

The move is part of the “Subway Action Plan” that MTA Chairman Joe Lhota announced in July.

“Lengthening C trains was a promise made – and kept – under the Subway Action Plan to increase capacity and improve service for our riders,” said Weinstein.

The longer cars started running Saturday.

Still, some transit advocates say the longer trains won’t do enough to help rider congestion on the line.

“They need to have more frequent service on the C line,” said Andrew Albert, an MTA board member who heads the New York City Transit Riders Council. “More frequent trains is the best answer.”
====================
NY Post

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
If you really want to get rid of the traffic, they need to build the Robert Moses skyway freeway plan and expand the freeways around the core of the city. New mass transit lines will not be the cure all and congestion pricing is unlikely to be implemented--imo, it shouldn't be anyways.
O dear lord. Absolutely not lol.

Did you ever see the full plans for the Robert Moses freeways? That would destroy whole neighborhoods.

What the city needs is increased frequency (trains), capacity (rail + trains), and rail track extension. The Robert Moses freeways would cut through the city and not in a good way...

We don't want NY to look like Houston lathered with highways in all directions.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 11:32 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

of course we have citibikes, but i did not know we had zagster.

this is at w61st/west end ave aka waterline square.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 1:31 PM

Quote:
O dear lord. Absolutely not lol.

Did you ever see the full plans for the Robert Moses freeways? That would destroy whole neighborhoods.

What the city needs is increased frequency (trains), capacity (rail + trains), and rail track extension. The Robert Moses freeways would cut through the city and not in a good way...

We don't want NY to look like Houston lathered with highways in all directions.
I'm not sure if I've seen the full plans but I have seen some of his proposed "skyway" routes and they would be beneficial. Mass transit won't solve everything. That is the problem. I do agree, as I said, the transit system needs a huge boost in funding to rapidly expand it.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
I'm not sure if I've seen the full plans but I have seen some of his proposed "skyway" routes and they would be beneficial. Mass transit won't solve everything. That is the problem. I do agree, as I said, the transit system needs a huge boost in funding to rapidly expand it.
Highways are not helpful in an urban setting. They simply fill with traffic that would have otherwise found an alternative route and cannot help ease congestion. They also destroy whole neighborhoods when built as mentioned before and the pollution from the exhaust causes increased rates of asthma and pollution related illness near them. Elevated highways are not a good or useful thing for a city.

For a real world example of what happens when you destabilize a neighborhood by building a highway through it just take a look at the South Bronx which after being built through the center of a working class neighborhood contributed to the destabilization and decline of the entire neighborhood.

Mass transit is the only way to efficiently move the numbers of people that are needed in a dense urban city and no they won't solve congestion because of induced demand. Building more highways doesn't help either though. The only way to prevent congestion in a major city is to use congestion pricing otherwise people will drive as long as congestion doesn't get worse than their personal threshold for being bad enough to push them to use transit.

I have seen his full plan and building it would be catastrophic for New York by destroying neighborhoods and increasing air pollution.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 6:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This just puts us to shame.

Earlier on you can see the doors or glass walls lining the elevated station. I think they could work here, especially among the elevated stations. To prevent folks from either jumping, being pushed, or falling onto the tracks.

On a side note... Tokyo is something else. Looks so damn clean, and look at those roads. Sparkly new. Like you could eat off them kind of clean. I can't go .4 miles without seeing some major repair wiping out a lane or two causing gridlock here. And the upgrades take forever.

Video Link

Its nice to not see graffiti either. I looked, and couldn't find any on this tour.

I watched one within Shinjuku Station and its much better than Penn Station. Cleaner, more modern.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 6:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Really what I'm alluding too is that America is not exceptional at everything. We can learn something from others.

I wish city politicians and MTA/PATH officials would take a trip abroad to see what the hell we are missing here.

Our system of roads and rail is rubbish here. Speaking general. Certain places are light years ahead in that regards.

Plus the imcompetance and delays. I'll give you an example. Here in NJ, on I-287, right when you get off of exit 9 onto River Road (heading towards Rutgers), they did a simple road modification adding an extra lane and a turning lane. That project took 3+ years and the span was only about 200 ft.

3+ years for that...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 1:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Really what I'm alluding too is that America is not exceptional at everything. We can learn something from others.

I wish city politicians and MTA/PATH officials would take a trip abroad to see what the hell we are missing here.

Our system of roads and rail is rubbish here. Speaking general. Certain places are light years ahead in that regards.

Plus the imcompetance and delays. I'll give you an example. Here in NJ, on I-287, right when you get off of exit 9 onto River Road (heading towards Rutgers), they did a simple road modification adding an extra lane and a turning lane. That project took 3+ years and the span was only about 200 ft.

3+ years for that...
I'm pretty sure they know that there are a lot of places which are much better, but in the US we have to contend with insane regulations and overly powerful unions that a lot of the world doesn't have to.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 1:31 AM
Show me the blueprints

Here we go again with the right wing talking points...

Considering how Japan has regulations and high wage skilled labor, you might want to reconsider that bogus explanation...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 6:05 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citylover94 View Post
Elevated highways are not a good or useful thing for a city.

The only way to prevent congestion in a major city is to use congestion pricing
Well, since we're talking about Tokyo, look at the expressways there. The city has a complete web of expressways running in every major direction, and the city actually built their equivalent of the Lower Manhattan Expressway and Mid-Manhattan Expressway running through heavily built-up areas.

The difference is, those highways are tolled heavily. All of them. Currently a standard size vehicle toll is $11.50, which is double what the tunnels in NY cost. Gas is double the price, too, and parking is scarce. It's just not cost-effective for commuting unless you're very wealthy.

However, the highways are still very important for goods movement. The high prices in New York shops and bodegas reflect the high cost that suppliers charge, which in turn reflects the countless hours that delivery drivers waste sitting in traffic. I'm sure plenty of NY businesses would gladly pay an extra $5-6 in tolls on each trip if it saves them an hour of the driver's time.

Last edited by ardecila; Dec 24, 2017 at 6:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 6:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Here we go again with the right wing talking points...

Considering how Japan has regulations and high wage skilled labor, you might want to reconsider that bogus explanation...
Yeah, and Japan also has had basically non-existent GDP Growth for the last 25 years and is the most in debt of any country in the world. So maybe they're not exactly the example you want to use of how to do things better? Japan is like the poster child for everything wrong with the first world these days.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 3:09 PM

Japans GDP growth issues lie in its fadng demographics, not their highway network. What an absurd claim.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 3:24 PM
Show me the blueprints

Or the fact that they have first world regulations (also known as "standards") and value the concept of paying the workers involved with building their stellar first world infrastructure a wage they can not only survive but prosper on. Those backwards pariahs.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 4:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Or the fact that they have first world regulations (also known as "standards") and value the concept of paying the workers involved with building their stellar first world infrastructure a wage they can not only survive but prosper on. Those backwards pariahs.
I don't know what they make in Tokyo, but NYC construction workers make more than the average doctor and they don't have to go to med school until their late 20s and get into debt either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation