HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 8:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

There was a truck fire on the GWB today. I thought I was gonna die because of the delays and my stomach situation. Beyond absurd the 2.5 hours it took to get to the Bronx from NJ Turnpike exit 13a.

The worst parts is I had the cold sweats midway, and I thought I would have to call work and be like I have to call out because I shit my pants and on the company pickup seat.

But I survived! Lots of inhaling and exhaling. Better than running into dirty swamp infested meadowlands and crapping in public.

So if you ever get the cold sweats, you're really of luck on the turnpike.

Chris recommends a healthy diet of non-spicey, non chinese food the day prior. Learn from my mistake!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 10:38 PM
Show me the blueprints

TMI my friend TMI

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 1:53 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

"we're gonna need a bigger boat!"

wow -- for the next round, the city orders new ferries that double the capacity of the current ones -- to 350 passengers:

http://www.amny.com/transit/city-ord...rry-1.14288922

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:44 PM

Cars on ferry? Drop it and get serious about traffic mess (editorial)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE EDITORIALS
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Staten Islanders are a rather nostalgic bunch.

Publish anything about the old days in these parts and the clicks just keep on coming.

Thus, it's no surprise when talk of allowing cars back on the Staten Island Ferry surfaces from time to time...
Read More: http://www.silive.com/opinion/index....ffic_mess.html

Cars leave the John F. Kennedy boat back in August 1994.(Staten Island Advance)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 1:09 AM
BANNED

Staten Island just needs a subway and it will take off.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 6:35 PM

Exclamation

When the Second Avenue Subway is finally in Harlem, will it be possible to link it to the 8th Avenue Line at 125th or 145th? That's the only way I see it seeing the Bronx without digging new track.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 7:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Staten Island just needs a subway and it will take off.
staten island has a subway.

a north shore extension to bayonne would be next - its talked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
When the Second Avenue Subway is finally in Harlem, will it be possible to link it to the 8th Avenue Line at 125th or 145th? That's the only way I see it seeing the Bronx without digging new track.

i would say probably not as the southern sas extensions are the priority.

perhaps when east side access is done and the work on the four new bx mnrr stations is done (thats the next big project) something could be extended north from 125st, but i would guess digging a crosstown extension along 125st would happen first. uptown and the bx are really begging for crosstown rail services!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 1:00 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
staten island has a subway.

a north shore extension to bayonne would be next - its talked about.

i would say probably not as the southern sas extensions are the priority.

perhaps when east side access is done and the work on the four new bx mnrr stations is done (thats the next big project) something could be extended north from 125st, but i would guess digging a crosstown extension along 125st would happen first. uptown and the bx are really begging for crosstown rail services!
The North Shore would continue onto Elizabeth , the Bayonne line would continue down the West Shore...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 1:35 AM
BANNED

No, when they connect Staten Island to the City properly with a train line, the area will finally take off and densify into a true part of NYC. It needs a cross harbor subway line to Manhattan.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 1:40 AM
Show me the blueprints

Tunneling tech gets better with every passing year. We will see a Brooklyn-SI subway or Triboro Express style service within 30 years. Wish I could say 10, but this is NY were talking about.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 1:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
No, when they connect Staten Island to the City properly with a train line, the area will finally take off and densify into a true part of NYC. It needs a cross harbor subway line to Manhattan.
If they built a line it would be to Brooklyn, not Manhattan. Look at a map, Staten Island to Manhattan makes no sense.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 2:22 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The North Shore would continue onto Elizabeth , the Bayonne line would continue down the West Shore...
st george to the bayonne light rail would be the most sensible as well as cheapest and quickest extension. however i do not believe the bayonne bridge or the goethals can handle rail, so that is a hurdle no matter the routing. of course, the will to cooperate and get anything going is actually the biggest hurdle.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 6:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
If they built a line it would be to Brooklyn, not Manhattan. Look at a map, Staten Island to Manhattan makes no sense.
A Brooklyn line would take too long for Islanders to get to the major job centers in Manhattan. It wouldn't be worth it.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 7:34 AM

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
A Brooklyn line would take too long for Islanders to get to the major job centers in Manhattan. It wouldn't be worth it.
A line straight to Manhattan would cost $30 Billion dollars. How is that going to be worth it? You'd have to have 3,000,000 riders a day to be even close to economical. That's many times more people than even live on Staten Island.

Last edited by BrownTown; Oct 3, 2017 at 2:36 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 11:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

Just for clarity by NYC do you mean Manhattan? While it is obviously nonsensical to have a tunnel literal run from the tip of SI to the tip of Manhattan and not the obvious solution of linking up with Brooklyn or PATH in NJ in some manner, I am not at all sure how 30 billion was decided on as the cost of such a route.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 12:31 AM
BANNED

I'm talking about in the distant future, not now, wise guy. If NY decides to up zone and re-develop Staten Island with large HY style projects (which I believe will happen some day down the road once other options are exhausted), and if land is needed for massive growth, the connection could be well worth it. Basically a new city within a city, a new CBD for NY. It would have to be tied in with a development plan. Something similar to that AECOM development plan for Red Hook that included a new subway tunnel.

Sooner or later Staten Island will be seen as the final frontier. Land is scarce in NYC and Staten Island is remarkably low density and underutilized. That's because it is inaccessible. The North Shore of the island has plenty of potential for massive redevelopment, but it just needs the connections to the current CBD.

The ride through Brooklyn to Manhattan from SI would be very long and if it were to be successful, just like HY, the place would need a direct connection to Manhattan. Anyway, the cost of tunneling in the future will most likely go down radically due to Elon Musk's new technology.

You ned to think big BrownTown. No bean counter stuff. What would Moses have thought of you? He wouldn't have been impressed.

Staten Island is obviously an island apart from the city of NY. To properly integrate it as a potential business hub you have to have transport that is adequate, and your plan of a line through Brooklyn wouldn't be that at all.

I believe you are the one who was against the CA HSR? If so, that tells me all I need to know right there.

Last edited by aquablue; Oct 3, 2017 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 12:47 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Anyway, the cost of tunneling in the future will most likely go down radically due to Elon Musk's new technology.
What exactly is Musk's breakthrough new tunneling tech? I feel like no one can really identify this phantom leap forward. Maybe 'cause it doesn't exist?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 12:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
What exactly is Musk's breakthrough new tunneling tech? I feel like no one can really identify this phantom leap forward. Maybe 'cause it doesn't exist?
The Boring Company will cut the cost of tunneling. And even if it doesn't, with the time frame I'm talking about, the cost of tunneling will surely have decreased due to incremental technology improvements. A hyperloop system from SI through NYC would be perfect though.

Last edited by aquablue; Oct 3, 2017 at 1:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 2:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The Boring Company will cut the cost of tunneling. And even if it doesn't, with the time frame I'm talking about, the cost of tunneling will surely have decreased due to incremental technology improvements. A hyperloop system from SI through NYC would be perfect though.
I don't know what planet you're living on, but here in the real world it takes longer and costs more to build tunnels than it did 100 years ago. Sure, the actual physical construction might not, but when you account for the 10 years of environmental studies, lawsuits and political/union corruption it does. Just look at how long and how costly it was to build the original subway lines and commuter rail and compare that the East Side Access, the Second Avenue Subway and Gateway Project.

Last edited by BrownTown; Oct 3, 2017 at 11:36 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation