HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:38 AM

Two plans for Tysons Corner diverge on walkability (Greater Greater Washington)

Here's an excellent post on Greater Greater Washington about two different approaches to developing Tysons. The LCOR development embraces smart growth while the Mitre office expansion (with parking garage) is stuck in the 1960s urban-renewal style development, centered around the automobile.

Two plans for Tysons Corner diverge on walkability

by Nikolai Fedak
July 28, 2011

"Several developers have submitted proposals to make parts of Tysons Corner more urban. Among the proposals for the Tysons East (or "Tysons-McLean" station, two stand out on either end of the walkable spectrum: an excellent project by LCOR and a terrible one by Mitre.

Rendering of LCOR plan. Image from Fairfax County. (provided via Greater Greater Washington)

Metro construction at Tysons East. Photo by fairfaxcounty on Flickr.
While not the most ambitious in scale, the proposal by developer LCOR for "The Commons of McLean" is certainly the most urban in scope. LCOR envisions an entirely residential development, and residents (plus ground-level retail) are what Tysons needs most..."

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...n-walkability/

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 2:56 AM
Paramoderator

I had no idea that Tysons Corner is booming so strongly right now. I assume this is because of the Metro extension. Speaking of which, does anybody have renders of the Metro extension and the current construction of it? I would assume that would fall under the category of Tysons Corner development.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:29 AM

@Illithid Dude:

Here are some photos of the Tysons extension. I think I posted the links earlier either in this thread or the DC transportation thread.

Tysons East
http://mysite.verizon.net/cambronj/w...-05-07_N02.htm

Tysons West
http://mysite.verizon.net/cambronj/w...-05-07_N06.htm

Other Silver Line
http://mysite.verizon.net/cambronj/#2011-05-07

Tysons is perhaps the largest suburban redevelopment in the US now. Since you're from Southern California, it would be the equivalent of redeveloping the area around the 405 in OC by Santa Ana/John Wayne. It is currently auto-oriented mid-rise office buildings with too much parking. If the redevelopment goes according to expectations, it Tysons will have more office space than downtown Seattle or Houston.

Here's another post in GGW about the Tysons redevelopment:

Tysons highlighted as global example for smart growth
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...-smart-growth/

My friend is a planner with Fairfax County. Send me an email and I'll forward you a PowerPoint about Tysons.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 5:02 AM
Paramoderator

Thanks! If I were to want to Powerpoint, what would your email be?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 9:35 AM

From Macerich's CEO:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2829...all-transcript

Quote:

As we’ve indicated to you we see about a $1 billion pipeline of development and redevelopment opportunities available on our pro rata share to us in the company over the next five years. The most visible of that right now would be Tyson’s Corner where we are proceeding with our office and residential expansion. The reception we have in the market there, we’ve engaged the Hines (ph) Organization as our key developer on the office and we’re engaging a local, very strong residential developer to lead the way for us on the residential, we’re in the process of picking a flag on the hotel (inaudible) for the hotel and we’re very bullish on that.
Given all the mentions I'm seeing of this project, it seems like a very imminent go (as mentioned above as well). This is notable both for being the beginnings of the building boom associated with the two malls (Tysons II's fifth tower is also now under construction), but the cluster around Tysons I will mark a new part of the skyline.

It's very odd how prominent the skyline in Tysons will likely be. Even if buildings are only allowed to 400' (I have my doubts the limit will hold--it makes no sense, Tysons is neither Rosslyn nor DC), the elevation around Tysons Central gives the buildings there an extra 100-200' relative to some surrounding neighborhoods. There are roughly 10 rough proposals for buildings in the 350-420' range in Tysons (the tallest was in the plans by SAIC, with Capitol One's flagship at 392' and NV Commercial's almost at 400' as well). At this point, I would expect 1-2 of those to begin construction by 2015 (among a bevy of 150-300' buildings).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 3:44 PM

http://clarendon.patch.com/articles/...#video-7264067

Great video on development in Arlington--Rosslyn/Courthouse/Clarendon are continuing to become much more urban with all of these infill projects.

Most exciting are 1812 N Moore and the Central Place project, which will redefine the Rosslyn skyline.

Besides the above, I believe the area surrounding the East Falls Church metro stop is about to see a bevy of activity as well, as plans continue to be finalized. It's all going to look like peanuts compared to Tysons though, where the skyline will literally be made up of cranes by this time next year.

I think a fair estimate of the number of highrises rising by August 2012 (in Tysons) will be roughly 7-8.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
http://clarendon.patch.com/articles/...#video-7264067

Great video on development in Arlington--Rosslyn/Courthouse/Clarendon are continuing to become much more urban with all of these infill projects.

Most exciting are 1812 N Moore and the Central Place project, which will redefine the Rosslyn skyline.

Besides the above, I believe the area surrounding the East Falls Church metro stop is about to see a bevy of activity as well, as plans continue to be finalized. It's all going to look like peanuts compared to Tysons though, where the skyline will literally be made up of cranes by this time next year.

I think a fair estimate of the number of highrises rising by August 2012 (in Tysons) will be roughly 7-8.
What is the status of the Central Place project ? I got the impression it was on hold.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 5:02 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
What is the status of the Central Place project ? I got the impression it was on hold.
It is to my understanding the commercial portion is waiting to sign a major tenant before construction.

-sb

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
It is to my understanding the commercial portion is waiting to sign a major tenant before construction.
I believe you are correct. I don't think the wait should be too much longer though, as companies are increasingly looking for space outside of DC proper due to how high rents have become. The spillover will be a boon for the Orange/Silver corridors.

It's still a little ridiculous that Rosslyn has the 400' height limit (or maybe not, those planes do fly awful close), but the skyline there will actually be moderately impressive soon.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 7:05 PM

August News in Tysons

A bunch of news articles have popped up this month I think are of note, not only on development but on the ground breakings on some of the projects mentioned already. Anyone who has driven on the west park bridge area the past month towards tysons has obviously seen the following two

All articles are from McLean Patch by Bobbi Bowman from August.

This one is the actual mall project with the 4 new high rise buildings of 26 stories (the tallest to date to break ground I believe). http://mclean.patch.com/articles/fou...ns-corner-mall

And the Lerner project is a big pit next to tysons boulevard right now but plans a skywalk to the Ritz across Tysons boulevard
http://mclean.patch.com/articles/new...-metro-station

And a new project breaking ground (although some might hate to see it) the Walmart development. Please consider the fact that because wal-mart has signed onto this project this is likely going to be fast tracked through the phases, and also consider that this isnt going to be a traditional rural walmart, it is more to feed a growing grocery need in downtown tysons and it replaces an ancient parking lot for the cadillac dealership.
http://mclean.patch.com/articles/con...-to-start-soon

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 7:24 PM

Park Crest Phase II

Here are a few pictures from my window of Park Crest phase II under construction (now being called Avalon Park Crest).

Photos were by me from my awful camera phone, soon to be upgraded.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66827757@N04/6083076913/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66827757@N04/6083082217/

It seems they are building a 6 story structure at the elevation of West Park Drive (in the following link), however this is deceptive as at this corner in the illustration the road climbs about 80 feet so I believe from the courtyard of park crest this building will still be 12-14 stories, not including the parking garage.

They have started the website already for the project as follows;
http://www.avalonparkcrest.com/

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 1:43 AM

Tysons Corner residents brace for redevelopment (Washington Post)

Tysons Corner residents brace for redevelopment

By Kafia A. Hosh
August 29, 2011
Washington Post

"More than a hundred people had turned out to hear the Tysons Corner developer’s proposal. Munching on cheese pizza and chicken wings, homeowners at Gates of McLean listened as the developer outlined his pitch to buy four acres of the community’s land.

Thomas D. Fleury of Cityline Partners sidestepped questions about a purchase price, telling homeowners that a sale would “create an income event for you.” Fleury’s words got the attention of some people, who looked up from their plates of food. Others sighed and rolled their eyes.

Near Route 123 in Tysons Corner, Gates of McLean is a low-rise condominium complex about a block from a future Metro station that is part of the transit system’s extension to Dulles International Airport. The four stations being built in Tysons Corner are driving redevelopment plans there. But it will be years before Tysons sees a sizable increase in population..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...JLK_story.html

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 3:17 AM

Tysons Corner: The building of an American city (Washington Post)

The Washington Post has a fairly extensive article about the redevelopment of Tysons Corner, with several renderings.

Tysons Corner: The building of an American city

By Jonathan O'Connell
September 24, 2011
Washington Post

Image courtesy of the Washington Post.

"Imagine, it’s a shivery January morning in 2014 and you are riding one of the first of Metro’s Silver Line cars to Tysons Corner. After you step aboard downtown, the train runs west out of the District and into Arlington County. It passes through the East Falls Church station, just as the Orange Line does, but then hangs a right away from the Dulles Toll Road and soars onto newly built tracks 50 feet in the air. It zips past the Capital One headquarters, rumbles over the icy Capital Beltway — check out the cars creeping along below! — and passes the two shopping malls and through two more stations before pulling onto the platform at Tysons West. It’s about 40 minutes after you boarded. As you step onto the platform five stories above Leesburg Pike, you look out over an area that Fairfax County officials imagine as a modern American city — a “walkable, sustainable, urban center.” In other words, nothing like Tysons Corner circa 2011. If all goes to plan by 2014, a 400-unit apartment building twice the height of buildings in downtown Washington is under construction beyond the tracks on one side. It’s next to an Exxon station, a McDonald’s and other single-use buildings surrounded by parking lots. Off the other direction, a new Wal-Mart sells fresh groceries. Still, when you get off one of those first trains, reaching either side requires shuffling along a pedestrian walkway above six lanes of traffic. And keep in mind that a “block” in Tysons can be a quarter-mile or more, lined with auto dealerships and strip malls. That next street is a long way off, and the only shopping you can expect to do between here and there is for a Honda or a Mercedes.

Tysons Corner today is unincorporated. It has no government of its own, and it didn’t even have an associated Zip code until April..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...atK_story.html

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 5:56 PM

It is interesting that people have been so negative on the Tysons redevelopment, specifically within the past 3 months. I attribute this to people having to drive through tysons (which I skirt around the bad parts daily on my commute). I think what people dont realize is the traffic situation has to be bad before things get better, otherwise if traffic was good there would be no incentive to improving it... now yes foresight is nice, but frankly the last opprotunity they had to do something like this in Tysons was back in the 80s and it would have seemed unnecessary to provide Metro and better transportation options to a place that was a second rate mall and a bunch of 1 story single use developments. Now that Tysons has actual commercial strength through non-retail companies it has the commuter draw to necessitate a metro system. I see the bad traffic as an incentive for all the people I know who live in Reston/Fairfax to one day get on a metro train to get to their job at Freddie Mac or Cityline or the other companies in Tysons by boarding at Wielhe or Vienna. Seems like it would be a better option than sitting on the tollroad or 66 for 45 minutes to go 6 miles. 10 years ago, commuting to Tysons wasn't that bad (relative to most of the beltway region), hence why putting a metro in would have hurt the entire metro system by adding unnecessary cost for a rarely used system. I'm still optimistic that corrected development allocation and connected transportation systems can make the region work.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2011, 3:02 AM

New housing to be considered in Tysons

New housing to be considered in Tysons

By Kafia Hosh
Washington Post
9/22/2011

"Some of the earliest redevelopment projects in Tysons Corner could be apartments, bringing thousands of new residents to the housing-starved business district.

The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors is scheduled to hold a public hearing Tuesday on permitting the McLean-based Georgelas Group to construct five residential towers near a future Metrorail station.

The company is asking to rezone land that is allowed for industrial uses. But to move forward, it must provide space for athletic fields within Tysons, a condition that is part of Fairfax’s new urban building plan for the area..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...dzK_story.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 3:57 PM

DC Mud[/I] notes that construction is beginning on JBG's Tysons West development.

Here is a good rendering of the development:
http://www.tysonswest.com/media/JBG_TW_Promenade.pdf .

Here is an aerial view of where the development will be located:
http://www.tysonswest.com/media/JBG_...Aerial_Map.pdf .

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 6:51 PM

There is now a crane up for 1775 Tysons Boulevard, so work there appears to be well underway. Macerich also appears to have begun preliminary work on the first office tower at the mall, and there is a mock-up of the facade in front of what used to be La Madeleine with graphics inside (didn't get a chance to look--it's a small room, but I assume the cladding is representative of the future building). It's really amazing that by this time next year there should be 5+ 20 story+ buildings u/c in Tysons.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 7:02 PM

Also, here's a post I made on GGW regarding Capitol One's plan (the specifics etc). More will soon follow on CityLine et al--one of my favorite proposals is actually by NV Commercial, and I will write about that one very soon.

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...-more-housing/

Quote:
Immediately adjacent to the new Tysons East Metro station on the under-construction Silver Line, the Capital One site sits in one of the most prime areas of Tysons Corner for redevelopment. Capital One's proposal certainly conforms to the new Tysons Corner master plan, which allows sites within a quarter mile of Metro stops to be built in a high-density fashion. Nevertheless, the plan put forth by Capital One has a major shortcoming in its lack of a significant residential component, which will be crucial for transforming Tysons Corner into a true urban center.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 7:08 PM

Quote:
It's really amazing that by this time next year there should be 5+ 20 story+ buildings u/c in Tysons.
With these buildings, Central Place and 1812 North Moore in Rosslyn, and there are a couple of 300-foot buildings that will be under constuction soon in the Eisenhower area of Alexandria, the 'skyline' of the DC region should change noticably in the next few years.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 1:39 AM

Residents weigh in on accessing Tysons Corner Metro stations

Residents weigh in on accessing Tysons Corner Metro stations

By Kafia A. Hosh,
Washington Post
10/5/2011

"The opening of four Metrorail stations in Tysons Corner is only a couple years away, and Fairfax County officials are still grappling with how to connect thousands of nearby residents to the stops.

When they open in about two years, none of the stations will have parking, in line with the county’s long-term goals to discourage driving and redevelop Tysons into a transit-oriented city. Instead, Fairfax officials have outlined other links, such as bicycle paths, sidewalks and bus routes to serve nearby communities.

But it is still unclear how Fairfax will pay for the connections and how many will be in place by the time Metrorail is running..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...DQL_story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations