HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
The Australia Embassy was demolished, and a new structure built at the same location.
I didn't realize-- I thought the Aussies just updated the facade.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 6:04 PM

I didn't feel like walking across to Anacostia but here is a development across the river in Anacostia that I took a photo of on Saturday.

This is the Stacks develop that is just south of Audi Field. It was previously a surface parking lot.

There was a big concrete pour at this development, which is just north of Audi Field, off of Q Street, SW.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 6:55 PM

Here are some photos I took yesterday of the second phase of the Wharf.

I am going to stay on this yacht the next time I visit Washington!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 6:03 PM

Podcasts and Pianos: 350-Unit Apartment Project Pitched Blocks North of Nats Park

By Urban Turf
Jan. 31, 2023

Rendering courtesy of Urban Turf.

Looking north on South Capitol Street. (Rendering courtesy of Urban Turf)

"The latest apartment development planned for DC's Navy Yard neighborhood comes with an interesting amenity.

UrbanTurf has learned that developer WC Smith has filed plans with the city for a new 13-story, 352-unit apartment building at 1 K Street SW. The building, designed by WDG Architecture, will front South Capitol Street and sit a few blocks north of Nationals Park. The K Street site is just south of the Capitol Skyline hotel, and is currently vacant except for a handful of parking spaces and an abandoned pool..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl..._of_nats/20564

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 6:24 PM

Off topic, but why is that city street essentially a divided highway? Would not expect to see that in a dense and growing area of DC. Any plans to fix it, to connect SW and SE for pedestrians?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Off topic, but why is that city street essentially a divided highway? Would not expect to see that in a dense and growing area of DC. Any plans to fix it, to connect SW and SE for pedestrians?
Yes, South Capitol Street is six lanes wide (three in each direction). I agree with your criticism that it is out-of-place in an otherwise walkable part of Washington. At its north terminus, South Capitol Street turns into I-395. In the other direction, once it crosses the Frederick Douglass Bridge, South Capitol Street leads into I-295.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 7:45 PM

Quote:
I stayed at the Thompson Hotel in the Navy Yard last year. Great hotel. The individual buildings are very interesting. The entire neighborhood is cut off from the rest of the city though. I had to take ubers everywhere. It was surprising and disappointing.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 7:57 PM

I took a look at Google maps and I see why they have it that way (connecting the new bridge up to 695) but it might as well be a wall through the neighborhood as far as pedestrians and cyclists are concerned. Looks like they could cap part of it around M street. East/west crossings at K street would be great too.

PS no hate to DC, I used to live there but it was before this area grew so much. I'm just surprised they haven't fixed some of the car-centric infrastructure.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 8:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post

Love me some curves

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 8:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That was the very same thought that I had when I saw this photo.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:20 AM

Just 20 years ago, the area around South Capital between I-395 and the river was completely industrial with a few low-income housing projects around the Greenleaf Center. The 6-lane highway style is kind of a relic of those days.

I don't really know what they can do about it, because that interchange at M Street makes it impossible to do any sort of road diet. It would be a huge undertaking to do anything.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonSkylines View Post
Just 20 years ago, the area around South Capital between I-395 and the river was completely industrial with a few low-income housing projects around the Greenleaf Center. The 6-lane highway style is kind of a relic of those days.

I don't really know what they can do about it, because that interchange at M Street makes it impossible to do any sort of road diet. It would be a huge undertaking to do anything.
Indeed. Here are some photos of the changes along South Capitol Street via JD Land, who chronicled the development in the neighborhood for much of the past two decades.

https://www.jdland.com/dc/photobrows...olm&toward=all

https://www.jdland.com/dc/photobrows...tolm&toward=20

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:10 AM

Salvation Army’s Regional DC HQ To Become Latest Office-to-Residential Conversion Joint Venture Buys West End Office With Plans for 49 Units

By Katherine Hamilton
CoStar News
January 25, 2023 | 1:16 P.M.

Behind a paywall and no renderings yet...

https://www.costar.com/article/94925...ial-conversion

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:13 AM

Still early
but here are some preliminary renderings of a new development proposal at 1507 9th NW. https://www.anc2g.org/s/1507-9th-St-...Submission.pdf

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 4:41 PM

Eastbanc, Jamestown advance major redevelopment atop U Street Metro station

By Tristan Navera
Washington Business Journal
Jan 31, 2023

"The project is among the most prominent development efforts on U Street, but it's taking a lot of community discussions to reach this point..."

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...ate=2023-02-01

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 10:05 PM

^^ It will be an annoyance for pedestrians for quite some time while the old building is demolished and the new one constructed (similar to the impacts from the 13|U redevelopment one block to the west), but in the end it will be worth it to have a higher quality building and hopefully a more welcoming Metro entrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Still early
but here are some preliminary renderings of a new development proposal at 1507 9th NW. https://www.anc2g.org/s/1507-9th-St-...Submission.pdf
This looks good to me. Nice infill!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 2:30 PM

47-Unit Boutique Lodging Development Planned in Middle of Chinatown

By Urban Turf
Feb. 2, 2023

"A new plan is on the boards for a group of five townhouses in the middle of DC's Chinatown.

Rift Valley Partners is proposing a 47-unit residential development with a hybrid lodging use for the properties at 509-517 H Street NW. This is not the first proposal for these addresses; Acumen Cos. pitched a "lifestyle" hotel for the same properties back in 2020..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...hinatown/20573

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 7:53 PM

This looks like a really nice development for Brookland.

Renderings Revealed for 337-Unit Brookland Bowling Alley Conversion

By Urban Turf
February 6, 2023

"The residential conversion at a former bowling alley in DC is moving forward, and new renderings provide a good sense of what the development will look like.

In mid-2022, UIP filed plans with DC's Historic Preservation Office for Brookland Lanes, a large residential development constructed around the site of a former bowling alley at 3726 10th Street NE (map) in DC's Brookland neighborhood. The development team will go before the city's Historic Preservation Review Board later this month to hopefully receive approval for the redevelopment..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...nversion/20586

Old Posted Feb 13, 2023, 9:45 PM

45-Unit Condo Development Pitched For Former Church Site in Shaw

Urban Turf
2/13/23

"A new condo development is in the works for a church-owned site in Shaw.

Last year, Shiloh Baptist Church selected Monarch Urban to redevelop the properties located at 1515 9th Street NW into a 45-unit condo development. The site currently consists of a two-story commercial building and a surface parking lot.

The new development, designed by KASA Architecture, will consist of a mix of one- and two-bedroom residences. The development team is pursuing a map amendment to rezone the site for higher density mixed-use development and is also pursuing concept approval from DC's Historic Preservation Review Board. Other than the amendment and HPRB concept approval, the project will be by-right..."

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl..._in_shaw/20618

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 12:41 AM

The Last Piece of Massive Union Market Project Comes Into Focus

February 16, 2023
Urban Turf

"The final piece of the Market Terminal development near Union Market is coming in to focus.

The development team of Kettler, Carr Properties, Grosvenor USA and Carmel Partners recently filed for a modification to the planned unit development (PUD) for the six-building project to change the use for the final building from office to residential. Interestingly, this was the original proposed use for Building C2 when the PUD was filed a few years ago, but a change to office use was pitched in 2020.

The plans for Building C2, designed by HKS Architects, include 232 residential units, 5,645 square feet for retail use, and approximately 95 on-site parking spaces. The building will have a maximum height of 130 feet, and approximately 11% of the residential units will be set aside as Inclusionary Zoning..."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations