HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 11:09 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek loves SD View Post
or the Office Depot? what an odd spot...

they shouldve built some residential levels above it or something...
if you are talking about Office Depot parcel (south-west of Electra):
they will build this

according to CCDC

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <ak/> View Post
they will build this

according to CCDC
...and just imagine that area with towers on the two parking lots across the tracks from Electra...and the NBC towers...and the Grande towers...and the Bayside tower...and Lane Field...etc...etc...

That part of downtown is going to ROCK!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 1:44 AM

Quote:
My main question/concern is if and when someone's going to rip out those gawd-awful low-rise apartments. IMO, someone should rip them down, rebuild the roads that used to go through that area, and turn some of it into parks and some of it into more high-rises.

BTW, does anyone know on which spot the new Pei/Cobb tower is to be built?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 4:42 AM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
My main question/concern is if and when someone's going to rip out those gawd-awful low-rise apartments. IMO, someone should rip them down, rebuild the roads that used to go through that area, and turn some of it into parks and some of it into more high-rises.
i know this is kinda off-topic, but ive often wondered the same thing myself. i hate how u see them in like every other downtown pic.

electra is sick tho. i love how theyre restoring the base part.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 5:07 AM

Those lowrises are sick (well, at least they got palm trees)

Overall though, I would probably indeed have them replaced as more substantial Downtown development.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 5:14 AM

As a resident of one of the low-rise condos in the area, I often laugh at those of you who want to level our homes. Folks, we were here first and it was those of us that put up with the bums and the vacant lots that made it possible for you latecomers to enjoy the rebirth of downtown.
As for the Electra, while I applaud the saving of the old SDG&E facade, the tower does not match. His original concept intergrated elements of the old structure and the tower so that they complemented one another.
The tower would be fine on its own, but this structure looks out of place sprouting from the base of a completely different style.
I think R.A. Stein's 10 Rittenhouse project in Philly is a better example of what can be done when using an older building as part of a development.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 7:11 AM
Category Five

Move or be killed by my bulldozer lol.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 7:40 AM

I was in San Diego about four years ago and it looks like things are heading in the right direction. I remember their skyline wasn't all that impressive, but what was there was nice. Looks like that might be getting worked on.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 7:41 AM
Unregistered User

Quote:
...and just imagine that area with towers on the two parking lots across the tracks from Electra...and the NBC towers...and the Grande towers...and the Bayside tower...and Lane Field...etc...etc...

That part of downtown is going to ROCK!
a lot of stuff has to be done for the next few years

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 8:00 AM
Unregistered User

Thumbs up

one more pic

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Again, does anyone know on which spot is the Pei/Cobb "signature" tower is planned?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPhil View Post
As a resident of one of the low-rise condos in the area, I often laugh at those of you who want to level our homes. Folks, we were here first and it was those of us that put up with the bums and the vacant lots that made it possible for you latecomers to enjoy the rebirth of downtown.
Unless you live in the massive apartment complex pictured, I personally don't want to level your home!! hahahaha

Seriously, I can imagine it would be annoying or insulting to hear people bad-mouth your home. Those apartments (and their pioneering dwellers) certainly did serve a purpose, but I don't think it is unreasonable to think that the area could be better utilized now that things have changed. It happens all the time.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 6:13 PM

Quote:
they will build this

according to CCDC
oh nice

thanks for the info

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 6:14 PM

Quote:

BTW, does anyone know on which spot the new Pei/Cobb tower is to be built?
i agree, those red roofs building are so hard on the eye

the Pei/Cobb site is the parking lot to the direct west of the Sante Fe station i believe

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Lane Field is basically screaming BUILD ME! in this pic

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress
Again, does anyone know on which spot is the Pei/Cobb "signature" tower is planned?
It's the lot directly below the train station and to the right of The Grande, in this pic. The site couldn't be better for something we hope will be iconic.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego_urban View Post

It's the lot directly below the train station and to the right of The Grande, in this pic. The site couldn't be better for something we hope will be iconic.
Oh wow - what a GREAT spot for a "signature" building!!!! Like I said before, I can't wait until the structures planned for this area get built. It will be INSANE!!!

edit -> I almost hope they don't end up proceeding with 2 America Plaza so that the spot could eventually become a super-tall.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 9:30 PM
SD/OC

I'm excited about the possibility of the IM Pei project for that location. I agree the location would be perfect for an iconic building. Although the Irvine Co does not have a reputation for backing innovative design, I think this time could be different. Since the Irvine Co is paying for Pei/Cobb to design the building, I think it will at least look very unique if not attractive.

Hopefully the Richard Meier courthouse will get underway! For anyone not familiar with Meier think Getty Center in LA. It's nice to be getting some big names to design San Diego buildings. I'd love to see more Mies Van der Rohe inspired buildings.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 9:47 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
...rebuild the roads that used to go through that area, and turn some of it into parks and some of it into more high-rises.
Undergrounding the trolley would enable many of those streets to be restored without the use of train crossings. Although some would appropriately argue that riding underground would change the ride quality, others would see the benefit of a quieter, less obtrusive, more aesthetically pleasing, and potentially quicker San Diego trolley. I had heard CCDC mention putting the tracks in a channel (open?) along Harbor Dr to benefit vehicle traffic. I believe that was 2 yrs ago. Anyone heard anything like this lately?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Undergrounding the trolley would enable many of those streets to be restored without the use of train crossings. Although some would appropriately argue that riding underground would change the ride quality, others would see the benefit of a quieter, less obtrusive, more aesthetically pleasing, and potentially quicker San Diego trolley. I had heard CCDC mention putting the tracks in a channel (open?) along Harbor Dr to benefit vehicle traffic. I believe that was 2 yrs ago. Anyone heard anything like this lately?
i couldnt wish for anything more than to put the trolley underground in the downtown area even all the way up to Escondido! put it under the 15 or something, with stops in Kearny Mesa, Mira Mesa, Scripps Ranch, Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Bernardo and more! and eventually stop at the Sprinter station in Escondido, where riders can transfer to the Sprinter or onto the appropriate buses...

what they really need to do (somehow ) is divert the heavy train cargo transit somewhere else...those definitly should not be going thru downtown anymore...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive