HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 4:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Citadel Plots Out NYC Tower in Major Buildout After Banner Year:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uverify%20wall

January 9, 2023

Roughly 1350 ft they are saying. 51 office floors and 7 terraces. Following being 1.7 mil sq-ft.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 4:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 4:56 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...uverify%20wall

New tower and no spires!

A tower like this could also be built too in Empire Station District.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 5:08 PM
New Yorker for life

Basically the same height, minus the spires. Lookin 15 Pennish. I like it though, it fits Park Avenue.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 5:25 PM

Wow I'm actually really sad to see the old design go. I really hope this "stacked boxes with greenery every x amount of floors" fad fades out soon. Plus I have personal bias because the spires reminded me of John Hancock in Chicago. Really wish we were seeing that instead of this new design. In my ideal world we would keep the old design here and have this replace PENN15.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 5:54 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Wow I'm actually really sad to see the old design go. I really hope this "stacked boxes with greenery every x amount of floors" fad fades out soon. Plus I have personal bias because the spires reminded me of John Hancock in Chicago. Really wish we were seeing that instead of this new design. In my ideal world we would keep the old design here and have this replace PENN15.
Agreed, but I like this one too, especially the top. Imagine the views of Central Park from a high office.

If 51 is the total floor count it's annoyingly low but it may not be since it says 51 office floors.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 5:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Well, this aint Chicago. The crown could be more decorative. As far as the greenery and “stacks” goes, it’s all about anenities now, and which buildings can deliver. I don’t see that changing, especially in the work from home era.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 6:12 PM
New Yorker for life

More from the article….

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...er-banner-year

Citadel Plots Out NYC Tower in Major Buildout After Banner Year
Ken Griffin’s empire will occupy more than half of the office space at a new Manhattan skyscraper at 350 Park Ave., which is expected to be completed in 2032.

By Amanda L Gordon and Natalie Wong+Follow
January 9, 2023

Quote:
Ken Griffin’s Citadel, fresh off a banner year, is sketching out plans for a massive new Manhattan tower that will give his financial empire a concentrated New York footprint alongside Wall Street’s biggest firms.

Initial proposals call for a skyscraper that could rise to roughly 1,350 feet (411 meters) with 51 office floors and seven terraces, according to people familiar with the matter who asked not to be named discussing private information. Citadel will occupy about 54% of the office building, which will be designed by Foster + Partners, the firm founded by star architect Norman Foster. The tower is expected to be completed in 2032.
Quote:
The tower’s height would make it among the tallest buildings in the city, on par with JPMorgan Chase & Co.’s new headquarters in Midtown that is under construction, as well as One Vanderbilt, a skyscraper near Grand Central Terminal. The latest potential addition to the skyline is a sign that for all of New York’s struggles after Covid, finance firms are committing to the city.

…. Last month, Citadel confirmed plans to construct a tower at 350 Park Ave., a 1.7 million-square-foot (158,000 square-meter) building that would replace three properties in that area. The firm has been working with developers Vornado Realty Trust and Rudin Management Co.

The goal is to house the growing workforce for Citadel and Citadel Securities in one location. Currently, Griffin’s empire in New York is spread out across several locations, including the new tower at 425 Park Ave. and 350 Park Ave.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 6:25 PM

Appears to be a more refined version of the stacked boxes hanging from offset elevator cores design. They've done a better job of incorporating the elevator core than the PENN15 design in my opinion. I'm sure that penthouse office or auditorium at the top will have stunning views.

How old is this render? Central Park Tower is shown as unfinished in the background. Perhaps they just used an outdated image.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
If 51 is the total floor count it's annoyingly low but it may not be since it says 51 office floors.
I seem to see ~52 floors in the above rendering, which does not show the bottom of the building. So I suspect you are correct that "51" refers only to the number of office floors. The total floor count is probably 60+.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 6:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Appears to be a more refined version of the stacked boxes hanging from offset elevator cores design. They've done a better job of incorporating the elevator core than the PENN15 design in my opinion. I'm sure that penthouse office or auditorium at the top will have stunning views.

How old is this render? Central Park Tower is shown as unfinished in the background. Perhaps they just used an outdated image.

Well the backgrounds aren’t always updated. So this is the rendering that was released today. There will be some obvious refinement.

But if it continues, at this rate, it will become known as Lord Fister Avenue.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:21 PM

PennParkAve...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
But if it continues, at this rate, it will become known as Lord Fister Avenue.
Hey now!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Hey now!
Foster! Foster!

Anyway, the high quality of 425 Park, which led to Citadel signing the most expensive lease, leads me to believe this tower will be spectacular.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 1:48 AM

Not bad, that's the kind of render that you really need to wait for a better one or see the real thing. The greenery and transparent glass are always over represented in renders. But I do think it's decent. Very similar to Penn 15, but for some reason I much prefer this one to that one.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleu1117 View Post
Not bad, that's the kind of render that you really need to wait for a better one or see the real thing. The greenery and transparent glass are always over represented in renders. But I do think it's decent. Very similar to Penn 15, but for some reason I much prefer this one to that one.
Penn 15 is way too fat and is symmetrical, which is boring. I'm glad they got rid of the trapezoid and the fins for this one.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 4:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleu1117 View Post
Yeah, it's still a more conceptual phase, but they did say they wanted to start the approvals process "soon". That's a lengthy process, so they want to get it out of the way, even if construction is a few years off. But during that process we should get more details about the design. But again, I have no doubt it'll be top quality. Expensive, but top quality.

It reminds me of Foster's conceptual renderings for Penn Plaza East...

An earlier version with a distinct crown...

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 10, 2023 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 8:58 PM

From my 3d model:

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 9:33 PM

I like it. Norman Foster is really building a legacy on Park Ave, with multiple new landmarks.

Can't wait to see Park Ave in a few years, with these new trophy supertalls rising or completed.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 12:16 AM
Show me the blueprints

I understand that these sky terraces are the office tower amenity trend du jour and in some form is likely here to stay but I cannot help but say that I think they are somewhat detrimental to the verticality of the skyscraper form. I wish they would instead come in the form of a partially open, or partially glazed, patio level without the level being a stepped setback or protruding deck with overhang. This is moderately better than the PENNI5 but barely, and I'm not just saying that to sound like a crank or contrarian. I will say thank goodness the Honda trapezoids and silly spires are out. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but the original design was terrible.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals