HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
来年日本に行くつもりければ東京にまた住んでいるよ。僕も来年関西に訪れると望む。だから、東京より関西のほうがいいと思うよ。でも他の物、名鉄がSEPTA Regional Railのようだけど作動のほうがいいだから、McGrathも名古屋に訪れさせる。どこかに会いたいかな?
多分!まあ、私は日本語を練習する必要があります。

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 6:26 PM

I definitely get a little envious of Boston when I visit. The streets are cleaner and there's so much less poverty! Their version of Market East (forgot what it's called) was super vibrant, clean, and full of shoppers (and this was in the winter, no less). And their subway system, while small, is highly efficient with frequent headways, even on Sundays. (Disclaimer: these things don't make Boston better and there's lots of areas where Philly excels.)

Yes, there are a lot of structural differences that give Boston a leg up (like being the state capital, being the regional capital, and not being resented by most of the state).

However, give credit where credit is due: Boston is simply a better run city whereas Philly is run by complete imbeciles who are petty, corrupt, parochial, and shortsighted. Yes, Rendell and Nutter were anomalies, but the issue runs deeper than the mayor; the entire political structure, down to the ward level is so corrupt and inept.

Put it this way: Boston owes a lot its success to its leadership whereas I think Philly's successes have come despite our leadership.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 6:33 PM

^ 100%

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:04 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^
Boston is surrounded by water. It has a harbor and lots of nice fancy boats to boot. Rich people like boating. Also, Fidelity is headquartered in Boston. Lots of money there and they have at least 11 fortune 500 companies in the Boston-Farmingham area.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:33 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^^
Boston is surrounded by water. It has a harbor and lots of nice fancy boats to boot. Rich people like boating. Also, Fidelity is headquartered in Boston. Lots of money there and they have at least 11 fortune 500 companies in the Boston-Farmingham area.
I think Boston Metro has ~15 Fortune 500's and Philadelphia Metro has ~13, so basically even.

But most of Philadelphia's largest companies, including the massive Vanguard (larger than Fidelity) are HQ'd in the burbs, hence the uneven suburban vs. urban distribution of wealth in the Philadelphia region.

But yea, boating a big thing in Boston.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
And their subway system, while small, is highly efficient with frequent headways, even on Sundays.
I wanted to avoid getting involved here because I don't want this to turn into city v city but I just want to point out that this is flagrantly false. The MBTA is one of the worst run transit agencies in the country and has spent the last year making the news almost weekly with derailments, accidents, and cancellations. The Orange Line is completely shut down at the moment (along with their brand new Green Line Extension) and the red/blue lines are running with frequencies worse than the Paoli Thorndale Line. The other week a subway caught on fire over the river and people had to evacuate.

The MBTA is not a selling point for Boston.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
^^
Lmao, I just wrote such a long response to this and exited out by mistake and don't feel like re-writing it lol...

Abbreviated version: while Philly and Boston has nearly the same amount of Fortune 500 companies, the types of industry those companies are in, matter. Boston has emerged as a center of finance in the last few decades, while from most perspectives, Philadelphia has contracted as a center of finance. Finance companies, money managers, consult companies are the types of companies that love being downtown.

Combine the fact that Philadelphia grew into a much larger industrial center as Boston, the "bottoming out of manufacturing" happened in Boston far before it did in Philadelphia. Boston has been gaining population every decade since 1990. Philadelphia registered positive growth for the first time in 2010. It's been 'gentrifying' for considerably longer. Think about it this way: Philly and Boston basically mirrored each other from 1900 to 1980. They grew from 1900 to 1930. Both registered population loses in the 1940, 1960, 1970, and 1980 censuses. However, Philadelphia was +600,000 residents still in 1980 vs. 1900. Boston's 1980 population was the same as 1900. That's a lot of industrial growth "left-over" in Philadelphia.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 10:15 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

We build our Riverfront area up we will 100% have a "Wealthy lifestyle" move in, and we will have yachts like how NYC does around the WTC area, and their riverfront area.

I remember seeing Million dollar Yachts at the docks in Battery park and I was amazed it was beautiful.

We can have the "Luxury playground" for millionaires in Philly we just gotta have the amenities for them. We can't just have Rittenhouse Square which is what I say the 1950's version of Luxury "Older people who have drivers, with little poodles and the people tend to be on the older end who are form a specific era (Think Aristocats)

But it's simply put Philly simply does not desire Luxury brands, YES they are worn, and bought, but as Ive said and others have said that's not one of the "Niches" of the city.

We shouldn't be upset that Walnut does not have Luxury brands, they will come, however luxury brands does not exactly show that your city is to do, and fancy, we have a whole areas of the city (Nolibs) (Brewerytown) (East Market) (S broad) (Gayborhood) where 1 Billion+ in construction and people just moved into and turned the area into a city, now that's Wealth.

Mainstream high end stores shouldn't be yearned for when we have boutiques that provide fancy stuff, and that's a personal business owned by someone in our city that's way more major then a couple companies who don't even care or know about Philly.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 10:25 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I wanted to avoid getting involved here because I don't want this to turn into city v city but I just want to point out that this is flagrantly false. The MBTA is one of the worst run transit agencies in the country and has spent the last year making the news almost weekly with derailments, accidents, and cancellations. The Orange Line is completely shut down at the moment (along with their brand new Green Line Extension) and the red/blue lines are running with frequencies worse than the Paoli Thorndale Line. The other week a subway caught on fire over the river and people had to evacuate.

SEPTA is an easy target for many valid reasons, but to their credit for the last decade or two they have resisted the call to expand without the funding being in place to service that increased footprint. As in the much talked about K of P expansion; even if the building and capital improvement is fully funded, a couple thousand, at best, new riders per day won't come anywhere close to covering the additional operating and maintenance costs. I'm glad SEPTA is concerned about such dirty little details. But SEPTA has spent time and money on slowly making improvements and updates to the existing system. Give them another 40 or 50 years and it might be a pretty smooth operation!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
SEPTA is an easy target for many valid reasons, but to their credit for the last decade or two they have resisted the call to expand without the funding being in place to service that increased footprint. As in the much talked about K of P expansion; even if the building and capital improvement is fully funded, a couple thousand, at best, new riders per day won't come anywhere close to covering the additional operating and maintenance costs. I'm glad SEPTA is concerned about such dirty little details. But SEPTA has spent time and money on slowly making improvements and updates to the existing system. Give them another 40 or 50 years and it might be a pretty smooth operation!
Please, for the love of god, fully renovate the underground at city hall station. It’s disgusting and a real deterrent for visitors. I didn’t even take my family on the BSL because I didn’t want them seeing underground at city hall station.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 3:54 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Great angle Tony. Wondering if you could get the angle behind the W and whether that would capture the Mellon Center Tower and Bell Atlantic Tower too in addition to those bldgs in the current shot.

I don't know if it is possible, but the holy grail shot would be all the prominent towers in our skyline as up close as possible.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:01 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Great angle Tony. Wondering if you could get the angle behind the W and whether that would capture the Mellon Center Tower and Bell Atlantic Tower too in addition to those bldgs in the current shot.

I don't know if it is possible, but the holy grail shot would be all the prominent towers in our skyline as up close as possible.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:02 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

If I take the shot from S PHILLY facing N I can defiantly get all the towers, or no wait from the East is the best angle to get all of them.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 4:28 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
If I take the shot from S PHILLY facing N I can defiantly get all the towers, or no wait from the East is the best angle to get all of them.
The last image above from university city above 30th st. station is the best in terms of getting the most prominent towers, but it's missing the W. I would reckon in this image from the SW angel it might pick up the W/element bldg along with the rest that you got. From the east angle some of the shorter bldgs adjacent to the taller one might block them. Not sure if height and angle down would overcome that. Give it a shot if you get a chance when you go out again.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:13 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
多分!まあ、私は日本語を練習する必要があります。
毎日、日本語を利用する練習するのほうがいいよ。I have an advantage because I need to whenever I talk to the cashier, but I think WaniKani and Bunpo are good ways to practice kanji, vocab, and grammar.

Naturally I'm sure you'll clean the manga stock out at the Akihabara Book Off when you're here!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 5:36 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
The last image above from university city above 30th st. station is the best in terms of getting the most prominent towers, but it's missing the W. I would reckon in this image from the SW angel it might pick up the W/element bldg along with the rest that you got. From the east angle some of the shorter bldgs adjacent to the taller one might block them. Not sure if height and angle down would overcome that. Give it a shot if you get a chance when you go out again.
I just looked at Google maps and the best two angles to capture all the towers will be Looking NE from Rittenhouse Square or Looking SW from the convention Center. I'm gonna try those to angles out the next shoot.

That's gonna really capture the skyline. Thanks as well

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:

I would trade Embiid, Maxey, Septa, and Patco for the T and consider it a steal.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I would trade Embiid, Maxey, Septa, and Patco for the T and consider it a steal.
I lived in the Boston area for a year starting August 2019, specifically in Revere Beach on the Wonderland line. The area residents were very vocal against the "T" my whole time there, and at first I didn't understand because I found the metro along the Wonderland line to be, well, wonderful. Then I realized the area residents called everything "the T" including the trolleys, and that one of the T "lines" was actually just a bus route. I experienced that all those other modes were layers of quality below the metro line. Then the pandemic hit and it didn't matter -- ain't nobody was going nowhere (except the essential workers traveling in near empty metro cars).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Would you? Would you really? Let me walk you through the headlines from this summer.

NTSB report: Door-system failure led to death of MBTA passenger

MBTA pulls cars from service after brake issue

More bolt issues found in MBTA railcars

MBTA operators injured in Green Line collision in Boston

No injuries reported in MBTA low-speed derailment

Federal Directives order MBTA to address safety issues

Dispatcher shortage leads MBTA to cut service on three subway lines

MBTA pulls newest cars from service over battery issue

MBTA halts service on two subway lines over structural concerns

MBTA Orange Line train catches fire on bridge

'Unintentional' move of MBTA train causes commuter delays

FTA orders 'safety standdown' for MBTA over runaway trains

MBTA to shut down Orange Line for a month

MBTA to close part of Green Line for four weeks, pushes back opening of new branch

All of these headlines are since May 3, 2022. SEPTA (knock on wood) has not had a major derailment on Regional Rail in over twenty years. The last El derailment was in 2014 with no one aboard. The last time someone died on an accident on the El/BSL was, by my recollection, in the 1990s.

SEPTA receives from PA half of the per-rider funding that the MBTA gets from MA, yet manages to keep everything running. The Trolley Blitz is the closest we come to any of this and even then, it's planned work that happens on a regular schedule. Imagine what we could do if we received the money that they're getting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations