HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1641  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 5:35 PM
The North One's Avatar
The North One The North One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,367
Wow, stunt queens.
__________________
Spawn of questionable parentage!
     
     
  #1642  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 5:35 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,394
To add to the skepticism all of the other condo towers seem to be doing amazing.
__________________
Dump Trump 2020
     
     
  #1643  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 5:39 PM
MAC123 MAC123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Deadend town, Flyover State.
Posts: 899
^ I agree with that. Wait for official word. Afterall they already have approval.
__________________
NYC - 20 Supertalls (including UC)
NYC - Future 2035 supertalls - 45 + not including anything that gets newly proposed between now and then (which will likely put it over 50)
     
     
  #1644  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 5:55 PM
JN12Franklin JN12Franklin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
From everything we heard it was, there's something off about all of this.

This isn't a shot directly at JN12Franklin, and I don't know why he would lie about this but he is a new guy on the forum with few posts.
Yea, I mean you're certainly welcome to stay optimistic. And I can assure you I'm not making it up. Even though I don't post often I've been a long time reader (much longer than the existence of my account). I want to see this get built just as much as everyone else. Any real reporting on this would require multiple sources and I'm just a guy who heard something from a very reliable source but in a very unofficial capacity. Who knows, maybe things will change and Golub will backtrack and it'll get built after all? I agree it's wise to wait for something official. I just won't be holding my breath.
     
     
  #1645  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 5:56 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 27,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
I feel devastated.
"Devastated"?

I would suggest taking a step back if this actually makes you feel devastated.

"Devastated" is a doctor telling you that you have inoperable brain cancer or first learning that a loved on has been killed in a car wreck.

This is just merely another in a LONG line of Chicago supertall proposals that might never get off the drawing board. As much as all of us scraper-nerds might've loved to see this one rise, it's hardly something to get "devastated" about.

Keep things in perspective.
__________________
"every time a strip mall dies, an angel gets its wings"
     
     
  #1646  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:06 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is offline
Show me the blueprints
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 8,889
I don't know...when The Phantom Menace came out I left feeling devastated. I'd put this on par with that.
__________________
He is a serpent.
     
     
  #1647  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:12 PM
twister244 twister244 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,395
Disappointed to hear this.... but not totally surprised. Even if they were serious about the proposal, the economy is not in good shape now, and proposals like this are no longer in a favorable environment. As Steely pointed out, this isn't the first sexy proposal to die, and it won't be the last.

More importantly.... How does one get into a networking event at the Tribune Tower were you get a tour of the sexy ass outdoor spaces? Asking for a friend......
     
     
  #1648  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 6:58 PM
left of center's Avatar
left of center left of center is offline
1st Ward
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Big Onion
Posts: 2,435
Very sad to hear the news. Hopefully it's not true at an official capacity, but even if this tower was to be developed, my guess is it probably would have had a substantial height chop anyway, which is par for the course when it comes to Chicago development.


The phantom skyline of Chicago proposals that never got built would most likely dwarf our existing skyline, which says a lot since our existing skyline already has some serious heft.
__________________
"Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world." -Frank Lloyd Wright
     
     
  #1649  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 7:00 PM
Sky88's Avatar
Sky88 Sky88 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 345
I don't understand the meaning of all this contraption for this project. The project is not dead, there is still no official indication regarding this alleged statement by Golub. But Golub is not the only owner of the project. CIM Group is. And therefore until further indications are given on possible cancellations or resizing of the tower, it is still in progress.
     
     
  #1650  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 7:06 PM
JN12Franklin JN12Franklin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
More importantly.... How does one get into a networking event at the Tribune Tower were you get a tour of the sexy ass outdoor spaces? Asking for a friend......
Our CEO was a big sponsor for PWC - Professional Women in Construction (not the other PWC). I was sort of a last minute fill in for one of our unused tickets. There was no way I was turning it down. We started in the 3rd floor event space (massive). Then they took us to their sales/showroom. We also got taken out to the 7th floor sundeck which is literally right behind the Chicago Tribune sign and wraps around to the back where they have space to grill out. We saw the indoor pool too. Then finally they took us to the 25th floor outdoor space for cocktails and hors'doeuvrs. Everything you see is jaw dropping - not to mention the views.

First time I've ever shared pictures on here so not sure if I'm doing this right. Anyway, that's Golub in the first picture with the model.





     
     
  #1651  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 7:18 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,394
Quote:
I don't understand the meaning of all this contraption for this project. The project is not dead, there is still no official indication regarding this alleged statement by Golub. But Golub is not the only owner of the project. CIM Group is. And therefore until further indications are given on possible cancellations or resizing of the tower, it is still in progress.
+1

Quote:
Yea, I mean you're certainly welcome to stay optimistic. And I can assure you I'm not making it up. Even though I don't post often I've been a long time reader (much longer than the existence of my account). I want to see this get built just as much as everyone else. Any real reporting on this would require multiple sources and I'm just a guy who heard something from a very reliable source but in a very unofficial capacity. Who knows, maybe things will change and Golub will backtrack and it'll get built after all? I agree it's wise to wait for something official. I just won't be holding my breath.
I'm really not that optimistic but not pessimistic enough to assume the project is outright cancelled without official word.
__________________
Dump Trump 2020

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 16, 2022 at 8:26 PM.
     
     
  #1652  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 7:31 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 6,488
What a dick. So he just let's this thing float around for a few years, never was serious about it, and never bothered to tell any of the news outlets which picked it up (i.e.Tribune) that it wasn't serious?

Dick move from Golub himself.
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...B0&usp=sharing
     
     
  #1653  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 8:03 PM
twister244 twister244 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN12Franklin View Post

     
     
  #1654  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 8:26 PM
thegoatman thegoatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 637
Thought this was the city that made no small plans smh
     
     
  #1655  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 8:28 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Riverview Estates Fairway (PA)
Posts: 42,449
This is a bad hit. Probably number one in the last ten years or so. The 1200' Waldorf Astoria was another one and the given, the Chicago Spire.

Although the cancelation of very prominent Chicago super talls tends to be followed by a nationwide recession... so we shall see.

The Groundhog saw its shadow on this one.
     
     
  #1656  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 8:50 PM
twister244 twister244 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
This is a bad hit. Probably number one in the last ten years or so. The 1200' Waldorf Astoria was another one and the given, the Chicago Spire.

Although the cancelation of very prominent Chicago super talls tends to be followed by a nationwide recession... so we shall see.

The Groundhog saw its shadow on this one.
It does suck, but I feel like this past cycle delivered some of the best new buildings in decades. We always want more, but I'm damn happy about where the city is now compared to the beginning of the cycle. We have had a huge amount of population growth in the city core, the West Loop establishing itself, St. Regis, OC, etc.

I guess I'm being glass half full here.
     
     
  #1657  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:05 PM
galleyfox galleyfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Thought this was the city that made no small plans smh
Come on now.

Chicago is just about the flattest city on the planet with practically infinite affordable, buildable lots, and you’re wondering why supertalls sometimes fall through?

The construction you see in the West Loop today is the exact process that created the original Loop. The ability to reliably accumulate large lots for bulk construction to achieve maximum cost efficiency.

And supertalls are not efficient. When they’re proposed in Chicago, it’s a sign of investor euphoria and an impending market peak.

Meanwhile, Cities with land shortages have to depend more on height to achieve returns.
     
     
  #1658  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:20 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Thought this was the city that made no small plans smh
It is, but there's the following through with said plans part...
__________________
Dump Trump 2020
     
     
  #1659  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:22 PM
galleyfox galleyfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
It does suck, but I feel like this past cycle delivered some of the best new buildings in decades. We always want more, but I'm damn happy about where the city is now compared to the beginning of the cycle. We have had a huge amount of population growth in the city core, the West Loop establishing itself, St. Regis, OC, etc.

I guess I'm being glass half full here.
As long as the 300-800 ft height range in the city still pens outs, I am not disappointed at all. Those are the buildings where the real social and economic changes are happening in the city.

The 1-2 projects like St. Regis each decade that are truly unique in the world are plenty for me as far as supertalls go. There’s always future generations to create experimental designs.
     
     
  #1660  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:23 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 27,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
It is, but there's the following through with said plans part...

To paraphrase jerry seinfeld:

"anybody can just make big plans, but you have follow through and build the big plans, and that's really the most important part of big plans, the build."
__________________
"every time a strip mall dies, an angel gets its wings"
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:18 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.