HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1661  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:29 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is online now
Show me the blueprints
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 8,915
So true.



_
__________________
He is a serpent.
     
     
  #1662  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:38 PM
Chicago_Forever's Avatar
Chicago_Forever Chicago_Forever is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-River North
Posts: 420
I follow Golub on LinkedIn and a couple weeks ago they had posted something about the Tribune Tower renovations. I can't recall if it was in the posting, or in response to a question in the comments, but someone from Golub stated more info about Tribune Tower East was coming soon. I forgot to post that info here and now can't seem to find the post/convo anywhere. So, I'll just wait for an official update from Golub, although with the word recession being thrown around so often these days, I don't see this tower coming to fruition any time soon.
     
     
  #1663  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 9:46 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
To paraphrase jerry seinfeld:

"anybody can just make big plans, but you have follow through and build the big plans, and that's really the most important part of big plans, the build."
Ha! I was actually going to post a Seinfeld meme but I didn't think enough people would get the reference.

"you just don't know how to hold the reservation, which is really the most important part."

Quote:
I follow Golub on LinkedIn and a couple weeks ago they had posted something about the Tribune Tower renovations. I can't recall if it was in the posting, or in response to a question in the comments, but someone from Golub stated more info about Tribune Tower East was coming soon. I forgot to post that info here and now can't seem to find the post/convo anywhere. So, I'll just wait for an official update from Golub, although with the word recession being thrown around so often these days, I don't see this tower coming to fruition any time soon.
The "more info" could be that the building is cancelled but maybe it's just postponed (hopefully).

Lee would know more about the project than me obviously, but what he was quoted saying here is certainly untrue. (not being a "real" proposal)

As far as a recession coming hopefully it will be shorter lived and less brutal than the last. The US has learned some lessons and hopefully coping mechanisms.
__________________
Dump Trump 2020

Last edited by Zapatan; Jun 16, 2022 at 11:37 PM.
     
     
  #1664  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 12:07 AM
rivernorthlurker rivernorthlurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
It is, but there's the following through with said plans part...
Haha this mad me chuckle. You can't argue this was a really big plan. As was the Spire. The city is quite excellent in the planning phase.
     
     
  #1665  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 12:54 AM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is online now
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Riverview Estates Fairway (PA)
Posts: 42,470
Well at least on the bright side there is more "of" than just a singular super tall. Chicago is still putting out many developments and a lot in the pipeline, so it's not the end of the world.

It does suck though from a design standpoint that it won't rise. I wish in this case, the developers would just sell the plans and build somewhere. Any city. Shame to see a good design stay in oblivion.
     
     
  #1666  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 12:58 AM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is online now
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Riverview Estates Fairway (PA)
Posts: 42,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
As long as the 300-800 ft height range in the city still pens outs, I am not disappointed at all. Those are the buildings where the real social and economic changes are happening in the city.

The 1-2 projects like St. Regis each decade that are truly unique in the world are plenty for me as far as supertalls go. There’s always future generations to create experimental designs.
I think in the end, total volume and frequency is key, with frequency being ideal. In other words, I'd rather have fifteen 300-400 ft high rises than one big super tall. Chock full of units with a good street interface. Like with the stuff going on in the West Loop. Might add more to the city and its aesthetics overtime versus Tribune. Eh... I'm trying to rationalize the loss. Part of the grieving process, as an old Chinese man hopped up on ether on the Number 7 train once told me.
     
     
  #1667  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 2:17 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 27,473
FYI, for those of you who continue to talk about other cities in this thread, you can continue to expect your posts to disappear.
__________________
"every time a strip mall dies, an angel gets its wings"
     
     
  #1668  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 2:21 PM
pianowizard pianowizard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SE Michigan, US
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
"Devastated"?
This is called hyperbole. "Super disappointed" would have been more accurate.

My disappointment was less about losing this particular 1422-footer, but more about the prospect that Chicago might not have another supertall for 20+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN12Franklin View Post
He considered the tower way too tall and grand and that it never made economic sense. Something will happen there someday but it won't be nearly so tall.
So there is still a tiny bit of hope, as a minimal supertall (e.g. 985') could still "happen there someday". And there is also LSE Site I, which could turn out to be a minimal supertall if we are very lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
FYI, for those of you who continue to talk about other cities in this thread, you can continue to expect your posts to disappear.
Okay, I have removed that last sentence from the deleted post.
     
     
  #1669  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 4:52 PM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 6,862
Another Chicago super-tall pipe-dream dead in the water. . . looks like it's suicide again for me!

. . .
__________________
Tom in Chicago
. . .
Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky.
     
     
  #1670  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 4:56 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 27,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
. . . looks like it's suicide again for me!
__________________
"every time a strip mall dies, an angel gets its wings"
     
     
  #1671  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 5:40 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,394
^^ Oh Moe, lol


Curious, did this tower ever appear on either of their websites? It doesn't seem to anymore.

Quote:
So there is still a tiny bit of hope, as a minimal supertall (e.g. 985') could still "happen there someday". And there is also LSE Site I, which could turn out to be a minimal supertall if we are very lucky.
I guess, I think this was a lesson to have really low expectations in this city though. But that sounds at least somewhat realistic and would still be really cool.

Quote:
What a dick. So he just let's this thing float around for a few years, never was serious about it, and never bothered to tell any of the news outlets which picked it up (i.e.Tribune) that it wasn't serious?

Dick move from Golub himself.
You'd think this would be bad for publicity. I certainly don't have a positive image of either G&C or CIM Group if this is all true.

Quote:
My disappointment was less about losing this particular 1422-footer, but more about the prospect that Chicago might not have another supertall for 20+ years.
20 years is a pretty long time and a lot can happen. Chicago's supertalls have been sporadic, like Trump Tower was the first supertall in nearly ~40 years but followed by Vista only ~10 later.
__________________
Dump Trump 2020
     
     
  #1672  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 6:19 PM
maru2501's Avatar
maru2501 maru2501 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,663
Never ever counted on it despite someone on that team telling me it would absolutely get built (this was before the pandemic)

so this would make tallest in the pipeline the LSD towers?
     
     
  #1673  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 6:52 PM
MAC123 MAC123 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Deadend town, Flyover State.
Posts: 900
Might just be my optimism and extreme want for this tower, but I'm saying it ain't over till the fat lady sings. I'll wait for official confirmation.
     
     
  #1674  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:03 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
FYI, for those of you who continue to talk about other cities in this thread, you can continue to expect your posts to disappear.
Noted, and I really don't mean to stir the pot or strike a nerve but why is it a bad thing to compare to others?


Quote:
Never ever counted on it despite someone on that team telling me it would absolutely get built (this was before the pandemic)
Golub or CIM?

Quote:
so this would make tallest in the pipeline the LSD towers?
Yea, Parcel I could be 950+ and 400LSD 875
__________________
Dump Trump 2020
     
     
  #1675  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 8:38 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 27,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Noted, and I really don't mean to stir the pot or strike a nerve but why is it a bad thing to compare to others?
Because it always just devolves into a bunch of idiotic city vs. city dick measuring.

If you're into that, I would suggest citydata.com.
__________________
"every time a strip mall dies, an angel gets its wings"
     
     
  #1676  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2022, 9:16 PM
DCReid DCReid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Might just be my optimism and extreme want for this tower, but I'm saying it ain't over till the fat lady sings. I'll wait for official confirmation.
I would not bet on it. Most Chicago condo development interest is local right now, and interest rates are way up and likely going higher. Now if international buyers become interested in Chicago, or domestic buyers from the coasts in search of cheaper local cities with good urban amenities...
     
     
  #1677  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2022, 10:19 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,394
^Yea, I would have agreed with MAC123 a day or two ago but after looking at the promotional videos for the renovated Tribune Tower without a single mention of this one, and the fact that it's nowhere to be found on either company's website probably seals the grave.

I wonder what other site could potentially yield a building so high in Chicago since I'm guessing CIM & Golub will just build a 600 footer here which is a total waste of riverfront real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Because it always just devolves into a bunch of idiotic city vs. city dick measuring.
That's toxic but I think there's a difference between that and normal comparison. It's human nature to compare how you're doing with others.
__________________
Dump Trump 2020
     
     
  #1678  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 4:30 AM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is online now
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Loop, Chicago
Posts: 5,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
^Yea, I would have agreed with MAC123 a day or two ago but after looking at the promotional videos for the renovated Tribune Tower without a single mention of this one, and the fact that it's nowhere to be found on either company's website probably seals the grave.
To be fair, they probably wouldn't put "large, loud construction project coming soon!" in their promotional material
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead.
     
     
  #1679  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 12:54 PM
Sky88's Avatar
Sky88 Sky88 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
To be fair, they probably wouldn't put "large, loud construction project coming soon!" in their promotional material
It certainly is. Now the builders have an interest in renovating the old Tribune Tower and sell luxury apartments. After this they will concentrate on the new tower. And that's why we don't see it on the promotional material for now. It will be at a later time. And that doesn't mean the project is dead.
     
     
  #1680  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2022, 5:36 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 5,394
Quote:
To be fair, they probably wouldn't put "large, loud construction project coming soon!" in their promotional material
I guess not, though potential residents of the existing Tribune Tower probably already know of this proposal as it's not a secret. But yea, maybe they're being discreet on purpose.

Quote:
It certainly is. Now the builders have an interest in renovating the old Tribune Tower and sell luxury apartments. After this they will concentrate on the new tower. And that's why we don't see it on the promotional material for now. It will be at a later time. And that doesn't mean the project is dead.
They've already finished the renovations to my knowledge though I'm not sure how sales are going.

Quote:
Supertalls on Chicago Yimby:
I wish that were a real proposal but I don't think it is.
__________________
Dump Trump 2020
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:26 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.