HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 1:55 AM

The odds of this happening seem near zero. On the plus side for the Sox this makes their asks look rather reasonable. The financials still need to be tweaked to sweeten the pot for the government but I'd much rather be them than the Bears.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
LMAO please be serious, the number of events that require that many seats is vanishingly small. Half the concerts at the smaller United Center don't sell out. Let's not act like suddenly this turd is gonna be full 365 days of the year.
I don't hate the idea of a new stadium, but I don't think the Bears need one. It should have been domed when it was remodeled.

If there is a new, domed stadium, if it's well connected to One Central (lol) and McCormick - meaning it's not absolutely necessary you step outside to travel between them - it could expand convention space meaningfully. Not every event would need to be a concert or sporting event. Lucas Oil stadium hosts conventions.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 9:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Statement from JB's spokesperson regarding today's meeting with Bears representatives:
Quote:

"Today, Chief of Staff Anne Caprara and Deputy Governor Andy Manar met with the Chicago Bears organization to discuss the team's stadium proposal. The Governor's Office appreciates the opportunity to discuss the Bears' proposal and appreciates the organization for taking the time to discuss it. As the Governor has said, the current proposal is a non-starter for the state. In order to subsidize a brand new stadium for a privately owned sports team, the Governor would need to see a demonstrable and tangible benefit to the taxpayers of Illinois. The Governor's office remains open to conversations with the Bears, lawmakers, and other stakeholders with the understanding that responsible fiscal stewardship of tax-payer dollars remains the foremost priority."
Source: https://abc7chicago.com/amp/chicago-...lans/14751471/

Thank Pizza God for Governor Pritzker!!!!

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 10:57 PM

Now the Clevland Browns want money too!

And now the Cleveland Browns want the public to pay $2.4 billion for a new stadium or $1 billion for upgrades of current stadium...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-...145509145.html

Last edited by DCReid; May 1, 2024 at 10:58 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:16 PM

I have lots of thoughts about the Bears stadium proposal. First of all let me be upfront with my bias.
I am a Bears fan, and I would prefer the Bears stay in Chicago proper and I think the setting of the current Soldier Field along the lakefront is the most spectacular setting in the NFL so I would prefer any future stadium to be similarly situated. I am also a fiscal conservative and would want to see minimal public funding go towards this and what does should demonstrate a benefit to the taxpayers specifically not just the government or private owners.

Here is what I like about the Bears proposal:
-I like the location by the lakefront downtown
-I like the actual design of the stadium. I don’t find it to be a rehashed design of the Raiders stadium in Las Vegas as some on here have suggested. There are some superficial similarities to it and I would also say the Cowboys stadium but there are sufficient differences that make this unique to the Bears and site specific. I think the design is elegant and looks of its time but won’t run the risk of looking outdated in 20 years. I like the columns that angle outward at the base showing some structural expressionism. I like the colors and materials used that give a warm tone and relate to the Bears without looking cartoonish. I like the design of the roof and lighting that show the Bears C. I love the large glass wall on the north that gives views to the skyline. I really like how the stadium steps down to the Lakefront on the east and connects to Soldier Field and eventually the Field Museum on the north.
-I like the building/s to the northwest of the new stadium that I assume is the Bears/football museum

Here is what I don’t like:
-What happened to the bridge connecting Northly Island that was mentioned in the past
-The buildings to the northeast of Soldier Field which I presume are for a hotel need to go. If hotels are built, they should be on the other side of LSD in the One Chicago area.
-I think the design of the redone Soldier Field looks good and provides an attractive gateway between the Field Museum and the new stadium but this seems such a waste of what Soldier Field could be in a new vision. As others have said, remove the western upper deck and north end zone seating to reduce the capacity and make it an MLS stadium for the Fire and use it as an outdoor concert venue to replace the one on Northly Island. That space on Northly Island can then be used as an extension of the natural area. All sorts of outdoor events that don’t need as much seating capacity or could be in conflict with the Bears could be hosted at a reduced capacity Soldier Field. I wonder if this proposed design of the Soldier Field area is what the Bears really want or if it is done to appease the Park District, City of Chicago, and or FotP?

Questions I have:
-What exactly are the infrastructure and connectivity improvements?
-How do you get to the site from LSD, from CTA, ride share/taxies, as a pedestrian?
-What improvements are being made to the 18th St Metra station?
-How will the McCormick Place busway be incorporated into this?
-What are the 2 buildings just south of the Field Museum?
-Is there some sort of parking structure between the new stadium and Lakeside Center?

Gov. Pritzker has come out and said this plan is a “non-starter” and I have heard many praise his remarks. However, I find his remarks to be confusing and contradictory because he goes on to say he wants to have future conversations and negations with the Bears. So, which is it… is it a non-starter, dead in the water with no future or is he open to some sort of negotiation/revised plan? I believe it is the latter and the Governor trying to look tough on the Bears to garner public favor.
If the Bears comeback with a revised proposal I think they should up the private contribution from $2.3 billion to at least $2.5, only focus on the $300 infrastructure that is needed to make the plan work initially and allow the city/state to get at least 25% of all revenue generated form all events including, ticket sales, parking, and concessions. This would reduce the cost of the entire project from $4.7 billion to $3.5 billion and reduce the public contribution from $2.4 billion to $1 billion while also giving the public more benefit from the income that is generated. Eventually, Soldier Field should be reduced in capacity as I describe above and used for the Fire, outdoor concerts, graduations, high school competitions, etc. The concert venue at Northly Island should be removed and converted into natural area.
I have heard a number of folks (not necessarily on this forum) suggest the Bears should just build their own stadium in Arlington Heights. I think the Bears pivoted back to the lakefront for a couple of reasons. One I think Kevin Warren and the Bears genuinely want to be in Chicago and like the lakefront setting but equally or maybe more importantly I think when KW came in and he looked at the plans in AH he realized there was almost no way the Bears could pull off building a doomed stadium without some public funding. He had recent experience getting the stadium in Minnesota built and with inflation and the cost of construction everywhere but Cook County Il in particular he realized there was no way that a doomed stadium could be built for around $2 billion. They would need public funding and there would be absolutely no appetite for public funding for a stadium in AH. The only option was for a publicly owned stadium in Chicago… we will see if even that is possible…

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:34 PM

Good analysis. I was just thinking... $300M seems about how much I think we'd be willing to spend for the Bears. Not sure if that includes the Northerly Island naturalization & bridge, but those can come down the line.

If we're really talking ideal scenarios:
- remove capacity from Soldier Field, keep as outdoor venue
- naturalize Northerly Island, add pedestrian bridge
- cancel Red Line Extension, use money for an Ohio-Columbus tunnel, expanding service to the Southside thru Metra Electric and adding better connectivity to our lakefront (Lakeshore East, Art Institute, Museum Campus)
- in the process of tunneling (cut & cover), remove Columbus Dr from Grant Park
- remove the hotel portion of the new stadium proposal, have Bears work with Bob Dunn to realize some iteration of One Central
- rework proposal to decrease car dependency and better integrate with the lakefront trail at the south end of the stadium

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development