HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:06 PM

The next metroplex in texas unfolds

I don't have access to the full article, but is saying Austin-San Antonio will become one metro:

In this special report, we delve into the certainty that Austin and San Antonio will grow together in a fashion similar to Dallas and Fort Worth, and point out the now-rural hotspots that are leading the way in the melding of the metros...

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-forecast.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:09 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

79 miles center to center... when do we get to call Chicago-Milwaukee a metroplex .

Last edited by SIGSEGV; Sep 29, 2022 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ but everything's bigger in Texas.

Anyway, I'll be cold and dead in the ground before I ever recognize Chicago/Milwaukee as a single thing, regardless of what anyone else says.

AND FUCK THE PACKERS!!!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
79 miles center to center... when do we get to call Chicago-Milwaukee a metroplex .
NYC-Philadelphia... 80 miles city hall to city hall.... the next metroplex?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and Cin-Day-Col is now a single metroplex of 5+ million! Using downtown to downtown measurement, Cincinnati and Dayton are ~40 miles apart, and Dayton and Columbus are ~70 miles apart. Hell, if you expand the mileage threshold to 120 miles, Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Akron, Cleveland, Pittsburgh would be a single diagonally connected metro of like 12 million people

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:02 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
NYC-Philadelphia... 80 miles city hall to city hall.... the next metroplex?
Yep. chicago-milwaukee is 81 miles, city hall to city hall.

We got goddamn "metroplexes" popping up everywhere!!!

Or, this is just stupid and absurd.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Yep. chicago-milwaukee is 81 miles, city hall to city hall.

We got goddamn "metroplexes" popping up everywhere!!!

Or, this is just stupid and absurd.
Yeah they are popping up like crazy man! Don't forget about the Buffalo-Toronto metroplex -- only 60 miles apart across the Big O!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:20 PM
Dryer lint inspector

ATX and SATX are too far from one another. Lots of new development along 35 but a lot of green nothingness too.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Whenever you want…

The DFW “metroplex” was coined by a marketing team to promote North Texas.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
ATX and SATX are too far from one another. Lots of new development along 35 but a lot of green nothingness too.
ASATX corridor?

All the green between South Austin and East San Antonio is rapidly vanishing. Pretty much from Austin to San Marcos is built up along I35 with a little bit of daylight between San Marcos and New Braunfels.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Whenever you want…

The DFW “metroplex” was coined by a marketing team to promote North Texas.
Interesting. I thought it was the US postal service. Mail sent to places in the Detroit area are postmarked as "Michigan Metroplex" now. There was a big uproar when they made that change: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...etro-residents

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:53 PM

I'd say NYC to Philly is easily a metropolis. When I take the train to NYC from Philly there is at least 5 skylines in between. Start at Philly, Trenton is next. New Brunswick has a small skyline, then Newark, then Jersey City and NYC, which you could count as the same skyline I suppose.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:00 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
ATX/SATX corridor?

All the green between South Austin and East San Antonio is rapidly vanishing. Pretty much from Austin to San Marcos is built up along I35 with a little bit of daylight between San Marcos and New Braunfels.
That 10 minute stretch between San Marcos and New Braunfels is all the remains. As an expat of both, I think these predictions are accurate but a bit overhyped.

For starters, for the actual math to work (I.E. the way the census bureau and OMB define, and calculate inclusion in, a metro area), one or both of San Marcos or New Braunfels would have to become a legitimate business center with their own corporate bases and suburban commuter belts. This is not outside of the realm of possibility, as those communities do not traditionally consider themselves to be bedroom communities, but rather satellite cities.

Even still, the greater likelihood (and it still requires San Marcos or New Braunfels stepping up the plate)is that the two MSAs stay separate but are combined into a single CSA.

An under appreciated possibility is that the Killeen-Temple-Belton MSA vanishes as a distinct entity and is folded into the Austin MSA. Points to consider:

1. Austin’s sprawl is stronger and more cohesive to the north than it is to the south. Similarly, San Antonio’s sprawl is strongest and most cohesive to the west. They are sprawling away from one another, not towards, development between the two consists of a narrow band of pearls along the I-35 necklace. Killeen, Temple, and Belton are sprawling collectively southerly toward Round Rock and Georgetown down both freeways: I-35 and SH-195. Just as the sprawl between San Marcos and New Braunfels is rapidly filling in green space, Jarrell is poised to be the next big boomburg with master planned developments stretching much further away from the interstate than anywhere between San Antonio and Austin.

2. Not only are the distances shorter between Austin and the three cities than between Austin and San Antonio (Austin-Belton: 61 miles; Austin-Belton: 68 miles; Austin-Killeen: 68 miles), but legitimate corporate bases in North Austin (the Domain, 60 minutes), Round Rock (Dell, 45 minutes), and soon-to-be Temple (Samsung, 45 minutes) are much closer and within a reasonable commuting distance. Georgetown has already distinguished itself as the regional suburban shopping location and a regional retirement center.

3. Commuting patterns are a complex system in reality, and one of the interesting artifacts of the way the census bureau calculates MSAs is that when considering dissolving one metro and adding its counties to another, metros with more highly dispersed employment patterns are more likely to be dissolved than those metros with a very tight core. Examples here include San Jose and the Inland Empire, Gainesville in Georgia, and others. Both of these metros are perpetually on the verge of being eliminated and combined with others into a single more multipolar metro. Contrast this with Milwaukee, Baltimore, and Philadelphia. These cities have dense cores and comparatively unipolar employment markets, and most people wouldn’t consider the possibility that they’d be combined with another metro. Killeen-Temple-Belton is the former and San Antonio the latter.

Of course, the math becomes harder for an Austin-San Antonio CSA if the Killeen, Temple, and Belton MSA is folded into the Austin MSA.

—————

My longstanding belief is that this pattern (whether documented at each step or not) is the most likely:

2020s:
• Austin MSA adds Milam and Lee counties.
• Marble Falls mSA recreated from Blanco, Burnet, and Llano.
• Austin CSA recreated from Austin MSA and Marble Falls mSA.

2030s:
• San Antonio MSA captures both the Kerrville mSA and Pearsall mSA.
• San Antonio CSA adds Fredericksburg mSA and Uvalde mSA.
• Austin MSA captures Marble Falls mSA.
• Austin and Killeen-Temple-Belton become a CSA.

2040s:
• San Antonio MSA captures Fredericksburg mSA.
• Austin MSA captures Killeen-Temple-Belton.

2050s:
• Austin-San Antonio CSA becomes a reality.

2060s:
• Single Metro?
• Mega-region with Waco?
• Fool’s errands?
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Last edited by wwmiv; Sep 29, 2022 at 10:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
ASATX corridor?

That doesn't mean there's any real cohesion between the two. If the Bay Area isn't considered a singular metro area, no way will SATX-ATX will anytime soon. San Marcos, New Braunfels have their own vibe. I do think that corridor will continue to fill out though. No doubt.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
That doesn't mean there's any real cohesion between the two. If the Bay Area isn't considered a singular metro area, no way will SATX-ATX will anytime soon. San Marcos, New Braunfels have their own vibe. I do think that corridor will continue to fill out though. No doubt.
I don’t see it being like the other Texas Metroplex for awhile but it’s just more a chain of continuous development from Kerrville to Georgetown.

Like I said, corridor is a better description. We can workshop ASATX!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:43 PM
Never Dell

The newspaper is hosting its annual SA-A growth summit. They're hyping the connection and the idea of the two sprawling together.

I'd therefore be skeptical, as well as wishing for better growth controls.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Interesting. I thought it was the US postal service. Mail sent to places in the Detroit area are postmarked as "Michigan Metroplex" now. There was a big uproar when they made that change: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...etro-residents
Might be?

But coining the DFW metro the “Metroplex” was just marketing.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Might be?

But coining the DFW metro the “Metroplex” was just marketing.
Indeed. Similar to the "Bay Area" and "Southland" in California. A unique term to describe the larger unique urbanized area. I wonder what other names there are out there for like these. Is "Chicagoland" a thing? I feel like I've heard that term before.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:08 PM

Anyone know what movies are playing at the Metroplex this weekend?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Anyone know what movies are playing at the Metroplex this weekend?
If that were a thing, Jerry Jones would definitely be the owner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions