HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:07 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ i hear what you're saying, but it think the term "dive bar" has gradually shifted to mean any old casual, low-key, unasssuming tavern that's not trying to specifically be anything beyond a place where people gather to drink (ie. no theme or "concept").

back in the day it more specifically meant those dark dingy places where 50+ year old men go to drown away their loneliness night after night after night....
yes as i said its quite clear this thread is mostly showing the modern version, the cleaned up yuppified old man bars that retained their lowbrow charms, god bless’em.

but its important to know there is such a thing as a true dive bar and what the distinction really is.

btw another thing that true dives had, or at least old man neighborhood bars had and that you don’t see anymore, are jars of pickled hardboiled eggs around the bar.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:13 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Oh yeah, I've definitely seen the pour of liquor stretched out beyond a double shot in pint glass... I may have even partaken in such a beverage once or twice at these choice dive establishments... not really my thing, but hey, when in Rome.

I was just saying that a lot of crappy bars will serve liquor in pint glasses with ice and a mixer or whatever. See it at college-type bars a bunch. More of a gimmicky thing for 20-somethings looking to get smashed and easier for the crappy bar to not have to deal with multiple types of glassware.
holy moley that last thing i would have associated a place like glackens in the bronx with is college bars, but now that you mention it they do have that kind of thing in common lol.

also come to think of it it is by a college, hostos. and they do get yankee game day fans too, you can walk from there to yankee stadium, so, yeah, kind of a schtick?

i guess true dives are about dead around nyc, at least the nicer ones (meaning not outright scary).

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:19 PM

The North Bronx has tons of of old man Irish dive bars, usually embalmed in amber. They're the kind of places with IRA flags on the wall, smoking still allowed, and median age around 80. Not sure if they'll be around in 20 years, given the customer base, and most of the neighborhoods are now Hispanic, West Indian, Orthodox Jewish or Bangladeshi.

Just walk along any commercial strip in the Bronx north of Fordham Rd, you'll see them. They always have obvious Irish names, like Paddy McCallisters, or something.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:23 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The North Bronx has tons of of old man Irish dive bars, usually embalmed in amber. They're the kind of places with IRA flags on the wall, smoking still allowed, and median age around 80. Not sure if they'll be around in 20 years, given the customer base, and most of the neighborhoods are now Hispanic, West Indian, Orthodox Jewish or Bangladeshi. Just walk around anywhere in the Bronx north of Fordham Rd.
fading fast and actually only a few as most of those are gone.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i dk about cinci, sounds like you needed to get out of your own neighborhood more,
As a kid? Yeah I went to bars a few times with my dad or with the baseball team's dads but you couldn't just...go to a bar as an 11 year-old. Actually I remember that bowling alley bars often merged with small arcade game sections, and you could sneak over and buy cigarettes out of the machine, but I never did since I didn't ever want to smoke.

One time when I was still riding a bike I remember there was a shooting up the street at a bar called Janelle's. Janelle owned the place and shot her own husband in the bar. I stole some of the "Police Line Do Not Cross" tape off the crime scene.

They used to take the front door completely off that place during the summer. I have no idea why they didn't just prop it open but instead went to the trouble of taking it completely off the hinges.

Not at that place but somewhere else I remember hearing from a roommate that he was there when someone walked into a bar while riding a horse. Obviously it's pretty rare to see anyone riding a horse in the city outside of a parade, so I don't know what the story was.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 5:53 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ those were not dive bars.

funny enough i remember janelle’s.

that might have been one i dk.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:45 PM

Quote:
fading fast and actually only a few as most of those are gone.
I agree these bars are fading very fast, but there are still a few dozen, sitting incongruously in neighborhoods with few remaining Irish. Norwood, Bedford Park, Kingsbridge Heights, etc. Even a few in neighborhoods where the current Irish population is near zero. I've seen Irish bars in the Jamaican areas of Northeast Bronx.

I remember Bainbridge Ave., in Norwood, where the D train ends, around 2005. It probably had a half dozen Irish bars. I'd be surprised if more than one or two remain. That area is Hispanic and Bangladeshi now. It was still white ethnic in the early 2000's.

But yeah, 20 years ago, there were far, far more, as there were far more old Irish dudes living in the North Bronx. The Bronx north of Fordham Rd. was mostly white until the 1980's or early 1990's, and had a large Irish minority until very recently. There's still one remaining Irish neighborhood, Woodlawn, but it's kind of a separate enclave. That area, which includes a big portion of adjacent Yonkers, is as Irish as ever, and still gets immigrants.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

a former co-worker's husband used to bartend at an old man dive bar over in albany park years ago.

i went there once because "free drinks!!! wink-wink", and it had a smattering of old ethnic white hold-outs in a neighborhood going ever more increasingly latino & arab.

i could feel it slowly dying even while i was in there.

it's of course gone now.

replaced by one of those off-brand cell phone/elctronics stores you commonly see in immigrant neighborhoods.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 7:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
I agree these bars are fading very fast, but there are still a few dozen, sitting incongruously in neighborhoods with few remaining Irish. Norwood, Bedford Park, Kingsbridge Heights, etc. Even a few in neighborhoods where the current Irish population is near zero. I've seen Irish bars in the Jamaican areas of Northeast Bronx.

I remember Bainbridge Ave., in Norwood, where the D train ends, around 2005. It probably had a half dozen Irish bars. I'd be surprised if more than one or two remain. That area is Hispanic and Bangladeshi now. It was still white ethnic in the early 2000's.

But yeah, 20 years ago, there were far, far more, as there were far more old Irish dudes living in the North Bronx. The Bronx north of Fordham Rd. was mostly white until the 1980's or early 1990's, and had a large Irish minority until very recently. There's still one remaining Irish neighborhood, Woodlawn, but it's kind of a separate enclave. That area, which includes a big portion of adjacent Yonkers, is as Irish as ever, and still gets immigrants.

bainbridge is all gone.

less than a handful scattered elsewhere up there these days.

of course woodlawn and wakefield and se yonkers are longtime adjacent modern irish immigrant neighborhoods, so that doesnt count. bars yes, actually mostly if not all taverns really, but certainly no dives.

the big thing is, young people really dont drink like that anymore, even the irish lol, so many, many more divey bars have closed than have survived or been gentrified.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
bainbridge is all gone.

less than a handful scattered elsewhere up there these days.
Yeah, Googling around Bainbridge Ave., you appear correct. I see tons of Mexican restaurants and groceries, and tons of halal bakeries and butchers, but the only Irish retail presence is a funeral home:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8734...7i16384!8i8192

There's a kosher deli still holding out, so maybe a handful of Jews still around:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8752...7i16384!8i8192

Here's a 1990's-era article on Irish immigrants on Bainbridge. Ave. That era is done, I guess:
https://www.city-journal.org/html/new-irish-12640.html

But yeah, still a big Irish presence in the Bronx, but to the north, along the Yonkers border. That's a newer immigrant wave.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 7:44 PM

I'll go over a few as a veteran binge drinker for the entirety of my 20's

There are plenty of dive bars in Phoenix but not many I would recommend unless you enjoy being stabbed. But there are some gems that should be fine for out of town guests. You can always know a real dive bar by the Smell.

First up is the true old girl of the bunch Bikni Lounge on Grand Avenue near downtown. Last time I was there in around 2017 it was cash only, No Idea if it still is but probably. Its been around since like 1950 or something.

One of my facorites although its become popular so it probably isnt even really a dive bar anymore, Pomeroy's. The picture makes it look cleaner than it is. Good vibes, good food, no natural light large selection of beers on tap. Can't go wrong with Pomeroy's

The Dirty Drummer, Good music shows and food, was never my favorite but A lot of people I know loved it.

And the classic timeless Seamus, right in the heart of downtown even surviving the 1975-2005 bleak years of downtown. Classic dirty Irish bar.

Venturing outside of Phoenix city limits we can start with Tempe but unfortunately my favorite dive bars from my college days are now dead but one still stands Yucca Tap room which has served as an alternative music venue for a long time.

Now most visitors to "Phoenix" will be staying in scottsdale so I feel the need to point out the premier fake "dive bar" in old town, Patties 3rd ave lounge. Dont stay for more than a drink. You can even smoke in there, legality of said smoking is up for debate.

Honorable mention from the Gone but not forgotten of my college days

Pranksters Gar and Brill (Get it) An awful place, I cant even find the original interiors that made it dark and dank. But as always a good dive bar has great food and cheap drinks, we spent many many nights in this shitty place and loved every minute of it. Even when they brought in Off Track horse betting and the interesting cliental that attracted RIP:

And not really a dive bar but an Irish place on Mill Ave that lasted for decades and was always a great hang. During covid that got into a rent battle with their building manager and after several years of decline they decided to call it quits. Such a shame. Now it sits empty as the building owner tries to push the city of tempe to let them redevelop the plot. What a waste. It had a great Patio, live music the whole deal:

Anyway, thats my selection, if you disagree you can shove it up your ass. Cheers.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 7:49 PM

The Bikini Lounge looks awesome

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 7:50 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ good finale -- that's just the kind of thing people say at dive bars!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 7:56 PM

Quote:
The Bikini Lounge looks awesome
It even front's a diagonal street! what More can you ask for !

https://goo.gl/maps/c2fyn9K3W5n5zxbA8

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 7:57 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Yeah, Googling around Bainbridge Ave., you appear correct. I see tons of Mexican restaurants and groceries, and tons of halal bakeries and butchers, but the only Irish retail presence is a funeral home:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8734...7i16384!8i8192

There's a kosher deli still holding out, so maybe a handful of Jews still around:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8752...7i16384!8i8192

Here's a 1990's-era article on Irish immigrants on Bainbridge. Ave. That era is done, I guess:
https://www.city-journal.org/html/new-irish-12640.html

But yeah, still a big Irish presence in the Bronx, but to the north, along the Yonkers border. That's a newer immigrant wave.

yes crawford, i appear correct because unlike yourself i am there on the ground on occasion.

we all well know your infamous mad googling around all day skillz lol.

but very good of you to include your actual links for once this time instead of playing it like you know something on your own. i hope you keep this up!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 7:57 PM

Quote:
btw another thing that true dives had, or at least old man neighborhood bars had and that you don’t see anymore, are jars of pickled hardboiled eggs around the bar.
Yes!

I remember always looking at those as a kid (my dad would sometimes take me along if he was out doing errands and stopping in to meet a buddy for a drink and I'd play the pinball machine or something), and wondering what they hell they were?

Quote:
i guess true dives are about dead around nyc, at least the nicer ones (meaning not outright scary).
Yeah, the type we're talking about seem to be a dying breed all over the place... even in rustbelt cities. Not that they're aren't plenty of shitty (and even dangerous) bars there... just that the old, family-owned mainstays that were there for generations are dwindling/changing their "business model".

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:00 PM

Quote:
yes crawford, i appear correct because unlike yourself i am there on the ground on occasion.

we all well know your infamous mad googling around all day skillz lol.

but very good of you to include your actual links for once this time instead of playing it like you know something on your own. i hope you keep this up!

Not sure what this is about, as I've walked these streets dozens of times. And actually used to own investment property nearby.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Yes!

Yeah, the type we're talking about seem to be a dying breed all over the place... even in rustbelt cities. Not that they're aren't plenty of shitty (and even dangerous) bars there... just that the old, family-owned mainstays that were there for generations are dwindling/changing their "business model".
i saw that there was a bar somewhere that specialized in pickled eggs. i mean that wouldn't be real dive these days, more a zoomer fetish, but it was a fun read. in minnesota maybe? i can't find the article, but i did find this from 2015:

Where Have All the Bar Eggs Gone?

We once tossed back eggs and booze in one sitting with fervor and delight. Talia Ralph on how the rise and fall of the bar egg.

JULY 28, 2015 story: TALIA RALPH

Eggs used to be standard fare at classic drinking holes throughout the Western world; in fact, they were often the free snack of choice, which likely sounds like an old-timey relic to most. At least, it did to me—milk used to come in glass bottles delivered to your door—but alas, the world of drinking back then was rounded out by far heartier snacks.

more:
https://punchdrink.com/articles/the-...gs-at-the-bar/

edit -- i still couldn't find what i originally read, but i did find this, it isnt exactly the same thing as a dive had, which was just a jar on the bar, but at least it's fun to see they still have and use pickled eggs in wisconsin (of course lol):

A Wisconsin Beer Bomb. That's a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer poured in an antique Pabst goblet with a pickled egg plunked in.

The Wisconsin Bloody Mary is made with the house bloody Mary mix and local vodka, garnished with cocktail straws spearing a Wisconsin pickle, Wisconsin-made beef jerky, Wisconsin cheese curds and a pickled egg. The cocktail is served with a PBR chaser.

Last edited by mrnyc; Nov 8, 2022 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:04 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

Not sure what this is about, as I've walked these streets dozens of times. And actually used to own investment property nearby.
its about you never providing links -- but yeah i was about to say unless you were plotting your trust fund money in property around there. lol turns out true!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 8:06 PM

Oh I guess being arizona I should give my favorite "In the middle of nowhere" bar.

On a lonely backroad between Wickenburg and Prescott lies a "Census Designated place" called .... I kid you not.... Skull Valley. In skull valley is the Kirkland Bar and Steakhouse on a rural corner across from some train tracks and feels like something right out of a western.

There are even cattle out back you can hang out with and warbley old country music playing on ancient juke box. Yes it is heated by wood stoves and yes its cash only.

https://goo.gl/maps/apoT89xyHyA4FPp9A

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions