HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 3:53 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
^Hotels/hospitality are definitely hurting. I'm astounded more haven't folded.
That's fair, given the current circumstances we are all in.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
That's fair, given the current circumstances we are all in.
Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see the pace of this construction pick up if the hotel industry rebounds.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 5:37 PM

Yeah I don't understand how it could possibly take an extra 4 years unless they can't work while Wawanesa is under construction...?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 5:42 PM

I'm glad that it's still a go, though. The last 2 years have been so wild it's easy to imagine a scenario where Northland pulled the plug on the project entirely.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 2:53 PM

One would assume that if northland was not able to make a go of it, someone surely would. With the building being at grade, makes things a bit easier. Glad to see they're still going to make an effort of it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 2:55 PM
the first stamp is free

IMO it's not a go until I see some construction activity re-commencing.

I imagine TN is none too impressed with the pace of that development, especially since PCL is going to swoop in there and plop up a 23-storey office tower in the meantime.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 3:45 PM
What could go wrong?

Is "plop up" an official engineering term.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 3:54 PM
the first stamp is free

^ yes, very much so.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
One would assume that if northland was not able to make a go of it, someone surely would. With the building being at grade, makes things a bit easier. Glad to see they're still going to make an effort of it.
My thought on this one was always that if Northlands couldn't get this up and running that the Chipmans would buy them out and take over the site. Then, if needed, bring in Northlands to run the property.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 4:09 PM

It's amazing how long and seemingly intractable this Convention Centre hotel project has been.

The Convention Centre announced its expansion plans in 2008, when the hotel was supposed to be incorporated into the complex itself. Some of you will recall this concept:

When that fell apart, Centreventure worked out a deal with Longboat to get something built on the old Carlton Inn site. (Remember when then-new mayor Bowman pissed off Chipman by implying that there was some kind of corruption involved in that deal? Good times)

Yet here we are almost 15 years later and all that there is to show for these efforts is a foundation for a hotel.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 6:47 PM

If The Hilton Garden Inn goes up before Sutton, what might that mean.
I know first & foremost The former BW Plus / Charterhouse has to be completed as a Hampton Inn before that.
I agree that this will have taken nearly 2 decades from conception of a new hotel for the RBC CC area.
The ALT went up quite quickly though.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Is "plop up" an official engineering term.
Bahahahahahah

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 7:00 PM

Looking way way ahead, I wonder what TN’s next ambition will be post completion of the 5-building square.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Looking way way ahead, I wonder what TN’s next ambition will be post completion of the 5-building square.
There is room for more once they're finished with the first 5... there is the lot next to the Cathedral which could possibly house another tower if the Archdiocese of Winnipeg can't get its conceptual complex off the ground.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 7:40 PM
What could go wrong?

To me, their next play would be:

- the obvious - St Mary Church parcel (closest proximity to their properties), I believe Chipman is friendly with the church
- the Lakeview lot at St Mary and Edmonton due to it's strategic location close to the convention centre
- The SW Donald and St Mary lot that was originally a part of the MPI lot development proposal
- maybe the Sky City lot?
- and lastly - Portage Place
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 7:45 PM

I honestly wonder if Longboat has exhausted all the possibilities for the time being, though... I mean, the downtown condo market is pretty cold. The office tenants are mostly relocations from within the downtown are and there probably only so many who are willing to do that. The one hotel can't get off the ground.

What more can they really build? Apartments, I guess? Maybe one more apartment tower? I don't know what else they could really do. Maybe things would be looking brighter if it weren't for the pandemic?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I honestly wonder if Longboat has exhausted all the possibilities for the time being, though... I mean, the downtown condo market is pretty cold. The office tenants are mostly relocations from within the downtown are and there probably only so many who are willing to do that. The one hotel can't get off the ground.

What more can they really build? Apartments, I guess? Maybe one more apartment tower? I don't know what else they could really do. Maybe things would be looking brighter if it weren't for the pandemic?
Yeah probably way early to begin to have any accurate idea but nice to see what people more in the know think. I do remember the media discussing that Archdiocese complex like 10 years ago and always wondered why that never ended up happening.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 10:00 PM

TNS office tower filled up quite quickly, I could see them doing another one – it's not their problem if the tenants just leave other downtown buildings to come to theirs.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
TNS office tower filled up quite quickly, I could see them doing another one – it's not their problem if the tenants just leave other downtown buildings to come to theirs.
Not so much about it being their "problem" as it probably is a lack of potential willing tenants. Tenants that are growing quickly need more space and are going to be motivated to find it. And there aren't a ton of those in downtown Winnipeg. I guess Skip the Dishes is one of the exceptions.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
To me, their next play would be:

- the obvious - St Mary Church parcel (closest proximity to their properties), I believe Chipman is friendly with the church
- the Lakeview lot at St Mary and Edmonton due to it's strategic location close to the convention centre
- The SW Donald and St Mary lot that was originally a part of the MPI lot development proposal
- maybe the Sky City lot?
- and lastly - Portage Place
Hmm, does this mean that Lakeview is slowly winding up?:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...575731522.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan