HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Pretty sure he's talking about Amtrak, not CAHSR ( obviously since it doesn't go to Vegas). At any rate if you look at the cost from LA to San fran I'd guess it will be somewhere between $500 - $1000. Then the question becomes how much will California subsidize it? I'm sure a lot, but still can't see a ticket costing less than $250. That's why it will only be for the rich. Those of more modest means will fly or drive.

A passenger is on a HSR train for much less time to cover the same distance. So staffing costs are much lower (although maintenance and electricity costs are likely much higher). The same train and same crew can make several cross-state trips per day whereas a traditional passenger train can hardly make it from LA to SF and back in 24 hours due to track conditions.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
A passenger is on a HSR train for much less time to cover the same distance. So staffing costs are much lower (although maintenance and electricity costs are likely much higher). The same train and same crew can make several cross-state trips per day whereas a traditional passenger train can hardly make it from LA to SF and back in 24 hours due to track conditions.
The problem isn't paying the crew, it's paying off the $100,000,000,000 capital costs.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure he's talking about Amtrak, not CAHSR ( obviously since it doesn't go to Vegas).
He was talking about flying from wherever he lives to Vegas. This is his quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
True. But airports are universally more usable to the average public. They are a necessity when traveling overseas. I can get a ticket under 200 dollars to vegas. A train ticket would be like 1500 dollars or something crazy.
And he has this unfounded idea that a high speed train ticket would cost 1500 bucks and only rich people would use it. Where is *that* coming from, I wonder?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
He was talking about flying from wherever he lives to Vegas. This is his quote:

And he has this unfounded idea that a high speed train ticket would cost 1500 bucks and only rich people would use it. Where is *that* coming from, I wonder?
He's talking about the difference between the two. And he's right. If I look at the price for a ticket from here to Reno (Amtrak doesn't go to Vegas so far as I can tell) it's $1000-$1500 round trip by rail or $500 by plane. Do you people ever even use HSR? You don't exactly see a lot of poor people on the Acela or Eurostar etc because they cost hundreds of dollars unless you get an off-peak time months in advance.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
The problem isn't paying the crew, it's paying off the $100,000,000,000 capital costs.
The authority has only spent a fraction of that sum so far, well under $10 billion, and they do not have to repay the federal grants, which to date comprise about $5 billion. The initial operating segment is going to cost about $6 billion. Obviously, the connection to Gilroy/San Jose is going to be much more expensive than that because of the big tunnel and because they will have to buy dedicated HSR trains, but the fact is that to date relatively little money has been spent relative to the doomsday figures trumpted by the haters.

Another factor ignored by the haters is the complication involved in acquiring the trains because of Made in USA stipulations from the federal grants. Getting Florida and Texas to build their systems to the same specs would help justify establishment of a HSR train and parts industry in the United States. Instead, California and Texas are almost certain to buy their trains from overseas but then have compatibility problems with the USA parts.

Where I live we have had chronic trouble with Spanish-made CAF vehicles that were outfitted with American parts that don't quite match the manufacturer specs.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
You don't exactly see a lot of poor people on the Acela or Eurostar etc because they cost hundreds of dollars unless you get an off-peak time months in advance.
So are you anti-airport because poor people rarely fly?

I took Amtrak two years ago from Ohio to Baltimore for like $200 round-trip. Yes, I bought the ticket in advance. You can get an advance Greyhound ticket from here to California for a similar sum.

When I rode the TGV in France I didn't spend a lot of time worrying about what sort of people were on or not on the train. I do recall a bunch of school kids boarding at one point.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
1. Just because you think it won't, doesn't mean it won't -- As I pointed out, there are plans to get interim service to the Peninsula from Madera, which is the only part that's up-in-the-air at this point. They have several options...

2. No...even by their most conservative ridership estimates, they can fully finance the rest of the system, because any credit they attempt to access will be based on the potential future ridership, not current. Or are you really saying that the Authority wouldn't be able to demonstrate the gains from completing the system to LA?

3. It isn't 50 years. It's been under construction for 3-4 years at this point... Timelines are fungible; they depend on financing schedules and public funding. China took more than 30-40 years to complete the Beijing-Shanghai line: They just planned and phased the entire national network in bits and pieces to complete these national lines. None of the major N-S, E-W corridors were completed in anything like 5 years.

What....? How does that even make sense?

You're saying that a statewide, inter-city system will only be used by...rich people?

As opposed to, what, the bulk of business travelers currently shuttling between LAX/SFO? Caltrain? Private/corporate bus shuttles?

Again...huh?
Nothing indicates fares being anywhere near $1500.
I am talking about Amtrak. A ticket from Norfolk to Vegas(according to their website) is 1050 one way.

And yes. Poor and lower middle class people either don't travel or use a car or bus.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The authority has only spent a fraction of that sum so far, well under $10 billion, and they do not have to repay the federal grants, which to date comprise about $5 billion. The initial operating segment is going to cost about $6 billion. Obviously, the connection to Gilroy/San Jose is going to be much more expensive than that because of the big tunnel and because they will have to buy dedicated HSR trains, but the fact is that to date relatively little money has been spent relative to the doomsday figures trumpted by the haters.
1. Whether they have to pay it back or not doesn't change the fact that it's a massive waste of money.

2. The fact they have spent so little money is an example of how terrible this project is, not how great it is. They're progressing at a snails pace which is the only reason so "little" money has been spent.

3. The "doomsday" scenarios you speak of are the projects own projections. Any any fools knows if they say 85 Billion then it's 100 Billion at a minimum. All big infrastructure projects blow their budgets out like this, only a fool would think CAHSR would be an exception (especially after all the cost increases so far).

4. The only reason the price hasn't been completely blown out is because they keep scaling back the scope of the project. They've already drastically reduced the speed of the overall system and the length of the trains it can handle. It's comparing apples to oranges to look at the original estimate and the current proposed system.

Quote:
Another factor ignored by the haters is the complication involved in acquiring the trains because of Made in USA stipulations from the federal grants. Getting Florida and Texas to build their systems to the same specs would help justify establishment of a HSR train and parts industry in the United States. Instead, California and Texas are almost certain to buy their trains from overseas but then have compatibility problems with the USA parts.
The costs of the trainsets themselves is more or less insignificant compared to the cost of the infrastructure. This is not any signification portion of the issue even if we can all agree FRA standards are stupid.

Quote:
So are you anti-airport because poor people rarely fly?
Huh?

Quote:
I took Amtrak two years ago from Ohio to Baltimore for like $200 round-trip. Yes, I bought the ticket in advance. You can get an advance Greyhound ticket from here to California for a similar sum.
That's nice and all, but that isn't a high speed route. Acela is much more expensive per mile and CAHSR will be vastly more expensive than Acela.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:38 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I am talking about Amtrak. A ticket from Norfolk to Vegas(according to their website) is 1050 one way.

And yes. Poor and lower middle class people either don't travel or use a car or bus.
Huh? I just looked for Friday and it's $349 (bus to Newport News, train to DC, train to Chicago, train to Kingman, bus to Las Vegas). Slightly more expensive than Greyhound, but not exorbitant. If you upgrade to a sleeper it's a different story, of course.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
2. The fact they have spent so little money is an example of how terrible this project is, not how great it is. They're progressing at a snails pace which is the only reason so "little" money has been spent.

3. The "doomsday" scenarios you speak of are the projects own projections. Any any fools knows if they say 85 Billion then it's 100 Billion at a minimum. All big infrastructure projects blow their budgets out like this, only a fool would think CAHSR would be an exception (especially after all the cost increases so far).

4. The only reason the price hasn't been completely blown out is because they keep scaling back the scope of the project. They've already drastically reduced the speed of the overall system and the length of the trains it can handle. It's comparing apples to oranges to look at the original estimate and the current proposed system.
While I really haven't posted in this thread much, I have been following it and wanted to offer a reply on these points. Not individually but as a group.

There have been numerous projects from across the country that have gone over budget. A few were slightly over budget and this can be possibly excused as incorrect estimation issues or minor budget issues possibly due to weather delays. There are other projects that were grossly over budget to the point where either the estimates were severely under actual costs to get public support.

Most of the time though, the estimates are correct and as the project is under way, it is the design changes and features that are added that start to increase the costs. Sadly, I think most Project Managers over the large projects come to rely on the contractors and their PM's to pass upward the budget impacts to change requests.

This in turn leads many of the changes to go to the Contractors directly rather than through the overall Project Manager, who is in charge of the overall budget for the project. The Contractors just think about the money and do the work, bill the project and boom, over budget even if it wasn't fully approved because it was requested by the people that hired the Project Manager.

With CAHSR, what we are seeing is that the contractors have been told who to listen to, the overall Project Manager, not local politicians or anyone else with regards to special projects. This is keeping the overall costs down on the project.

This is also why the speed of the project seems to be going slower, bids are able to be kept lower as the number of workers needed is lower. The same for the amount of concrete, steel, equipment, and so forth. The various contractors working on the project don't end up competing against each other for the items they are all needing.

So, while it may take potentially 2 years longer (estimated) doing it the slow and steady way, it can potentially save the project $3-$5 Billion (estimated) that can be used elsewhere.

Scaling back the scope is showing that the Project Manager is doing what they are supposed to be doing. Projects are game of give and take. You have a budget and a set of requirements. When someone comes in with a change request the Project Manager looks at the change, evaluates it and then gets feedback from the contractors about how it would impact the budget and timelines. They then present the information back in the form of a risk assessment.

This gives the person requesting the change a chance to withdraw the request, change the budget, or change the requirements. In this case, they felt going with shorter stations was worth the trade off.

I guess the presumption is that the longer stations will not be needed until many years after opening and they will be able to extend the stations before they are needed. I think they are also planning on running smaller train sets initially and gradually adding cars as ridership increases.

The idea here is that airlines don't start flying 400 seat planes between locations when estimates show only 20 people will fly between the cities daily. They start smaller and ramp up as passengers increase. The same with highways, and other forms of transit, including personal vehicles.

Overall, I just think it is counter productive to complain about projects that go vastly over budget and then talk about the scope scaling back when that shows that the budget is actually being watched closely and the project isn't scaling back, just the station size.

One thing to remember, the project is the first high speed rail line to be built from the ground up in North America. Once the initial segment is completed, it will be able to be studied by many other States and groups looking at bring HSR to their region. They will be able to see what worked and what didn't and can learn from what California has done.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:

4. The only reason the price han't been completely blown out is because they keep scaling back the scope of the project. They've already drastically reduced the speed of the overall system and the length of the trains it can handle. It's comparing apples to oranges to look at the original estimate and the current proposed system.
The project hasn't been scaled back at all. If anything, the opposite has occurred. The Palmdale alignment was an addition not required by Prop 1A, nor were the huge tunnels now planned for nocal and socal.

The project always from the beginning was going to have 200-220mph operation limited to the central stretch between Gilroy and Burbank Airport. This is how the TGV and most other HSR systems operate around the world...they enter cities on tracks that they share with conventional passenger trains.

What proposal for 200mph HSR operations ever existed for the approach to San Francisco? For the LA approach? For the line between LA and San Diego? The 10 year-old language of Proposition 1A explicitly says otherwise.

What's more, the time savings from boosting Burbank to LA Union to a brief spurt of 200mph would be *maybe* 5 minutes. Billions to save 5 minutes. Up north, tens and tens of billions to shorten the Gilroy-SF stretch by 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, the stations are still being designed for 1400-foot platforms. Of course they're not going to operate 1200-foot, 1,000-seat double trainsets on the IOS and probably not operate them until the full SF-LA connection is in place. There is no reason to physically build the full platforms until double trainsets are in testing.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Huh? I just looked for Friday and it's $349 (bus to Newport News, train to DC, train to Chicago, train to Kingman, bus to Las Vegas). Slightly more expensive than Greyhound, but not exorbitant. If you upgrade to a sleeper it's a different story, of course.
How many hours is that trip?

A flight, is cheaper and about 6 hours.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:23 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
How many hours is that trip?

A flight, is cheaper and about 6 hours.
Well of course it's longer. The point is that it's not $1000, not that flying doesn't make sense for cities 2000+ miles apart.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
He's talking about the difference between the two. And he's right. If I look at the price for a ticket from here to Reno (Amtrak doesn't go to Vegas so far as I can tell) it's $1000-$1500 round trip by rail or $500 by plane. Do you people ever even use HSR? You don't exactly see a lot of poor people on the Acela or Eurostar etc because they cost hundreds of dollars unless you get an off-peak time months in advance.
You see all sorts of people on Eurostar and other HSR, it's maybe a bit of an exaggeration to say that tickets are hundreds of dollars unless bought months in advance.

Eurostar is a fairly expensive one, I guess the fact it has a big tunnel under the sea increases costs but these are the one way London-Paris fares on the website at the moment.

Travel today £191 ($249)
Travel on Monday (4 days in advance) £101 ($132)
Travel on Thursday September 20 (3 weeks in advance) £84 ($110)
Travel on Thursday October 4 (5 weeks in advance) £44 ($57) which is the cheapest one way ticket. Return tickets start at £58 ($76)

If you turn up at the airport and ask for a ticket on the next plane you will also pay more than booking it in advance most of the time.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 2:04 PM

Perhaps more representative are Thalys tickets,, these are best prices one way from Cologne to Brussels

Travel today €66 ($77)
Travel Monday (4 days in advance) €54 ($63)
Travel on Thursday September 20 (3 weeks in advance) €28 ($33)
Travel on Thursday October 4 (5 weeks in advance) €33 ($39)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 5:01 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Perhaps more representative are Thalys tickets,, these are best prices one way from Cologne to Brussels

Travel today €66 ($77)
Travel Monday (4 days in advance) €54 ($63)
Travel on Thursday September 20 (3 weeks in advance) €28 ($33)
Travel on Thursday October 4 (5 weeks in advance) €33 ($39)
Cologne to Brussels is 222 kilometers (138 miles), Los Angeles to San Francisco using SH99 is 644 kilometers (400 miles). Please do not suggest CHSR will ever be able to match those fares, a direct ratio per distance would suggest fares being 2.9 (almost triple the amount) times higher.

Bakersfield is 113 miles away from Los Angeles, which is more representive of the Cologne to Brussels distance and what those fares listed would be than all the way from LA to SF.

I don’t mind the fare comparisons, but at least try to match distances slightly more closer than was done here. While I’ll admit distance travel isn’t the only component in setting train fares, it certainly is a significant one to consider.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 6:05 PM

I hope this project is not all or nothing. In other words, trains will be able to take advantage of the first completed section.

A few years ago, I took the train from Prague to Berlin. The portion of route between Dresden and near Berlin was designed for high speed. The fact that this portion of the track was designed for high speed allowed the full trip time to be reduced, maybe not to the degree as if the whole route was designed for high speed trains, but better than if the train had to run 60 mph the whole way.

Is this the plan in California? Will it be possible to use the first HSR portion completed to speed up overall trip times between SF and LA?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 6:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

Just throwing this out there but is there reason to believe there is definitive knowledge that a fare is always tethered to distance? Would the the fare really be 2.9 times more $ because the distance is 2.9 times longer? I'm not convinced it does or will work like that. I would suspect the fare economics could be more similar to what we are all familiar with while shopping for widgets.

Single widget costs x
2 widgets costs 1.7x
4 widgets costs 3x
12 widgets costs 8x and so forth...

In most retail cases of like consumer items, there is a value in bulk. No one expects a 12 pack of widgets to cost the same as 12 individual widgets. The value is in bundling. Is there any reason to think fares based on mileage could use a similar base + distance (diminishing cost per increased route mile) model?

Obviously I'm not economist so I'm sure there is probably a specific term for this. Anyways, I suspect CHSR fares will be much more reasonable than all the doubt peddling naysayers are freaking out over.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 6:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I hope this project is not all or nothing. In other words, trains will be able to take advantage of the first completed section.

A few years ago, I took the train from Prague to Berlin. The portion of route between Dresden and near Berlin was designed for high speed. The fact that this portion of the track was designed for high speed allowed the full trip time to be reduced, maybe not to the degree as if the whole route was designed for high speed trains, but better than if the train had to run 60 mph the whole way.

Is this the plan in California? Will it be possible to use the first HSR portion completed to speed up overall trip times between SF and LA?
Yes and no. There is a plan for an ISO (initial operating section) in the central valley to San Jose, but obviously without a completed SF terminal tunnel and base tunnels to the LA basin, the actual high speed trainset would stop at either end and require a transfer to conventional rail. Obviously under no circumstances would a hsr trainset capable of 200 mph switch off the hsr row and continue on regular rails. Two things are likely. True electrified hsr operating on the ISO until the full system ends are complete OR a more conventional interim trainset, diesel and slower speed using the hsr row until the endpoints are completed.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Yes and no. There is a plan for an ISO (initial operating section) in the central valley to San Jose, but obviously without a completed SF terminal tunnel and base tunnels to the LA basin, the actual high speed trainset would stop at either end and require a transfer to conventional rail. Obviously under no circumstances would a hsr trainset capable of 200 mph switch off the hsr row and continue on regular rails. Two things are likely. True electrified hsr operating on the ISO until the full system ends are complete OR a more conventional interim trainset, diesel and slower speed using the hsr row until the endpoints are completed.
I believe I once read that they are going to shift existing Amtrak service onto the HSR tracks between Madera and Bakersfield until the tunnel and connection to San Jose are built, at which time the line will be electrified. However, traditional diesel Amtrak will need to move back to the parallel freight tracks when they start testing the electric HSR trains.

Also, work on the Caltrans electrification has technically begun, so HSR trains might terminate at 4th & King before the connection to Transbay is built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation