HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 12:33 AM
Resident Jackass

This
is from TRAINORDERS.COM

Date:
10/09/09 17:20
Phila Rail Landmark to Come Tumbling
Down
Author: prr60

The old
PRR steam plant (now owned by Amtrak), located next to 30th Street Station in
downtown Philadelphia, is in its last month of existence. At 7:30am on Sunday,
November 8 (back-up date November 15), the plant's towering chimney, a landmark
behind Penn Coach Yard for over 70 years, will be dynamited and dropped by
Controlled Demolition, Inc. into a narrow opening between the CSX high-line
viaduct and the SEPTA tracks.

All rail service on CSX, SEPTA, NJ Transit, and Amtrak will
be halted for the implosion, as will traffic on local streets and nearby
Interstate 76 (the Schuylkill Expressway). Unlike typical building implosions,
this one will direct the chimney to rotate and drop sideways like a redwood
attacked by a chainsaw. Charge-up the cameras: this promises to be a fine
show.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 1:24 AM

Omg!!

Are you telling me that the Drexel Shaft will be no more??!!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 3:32 AM

I actually like the Drexel shaft, why are they demolishing it again?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 4:14 AM

That's too bad. There seem to be a lot of old power plant demolitions going on right now. Here in NYC the old ConEd plant near the UN and another in Williamsburg were recently demoed. There's now a campaign afoot to landmark one of the few left, the IRT power plant on the west side: http://www.landmarkwest.org/IRT_email.html

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 4:29 AM
Resident Jackass

I suppose it's being demolished because the stack/building have been disused for a very long time and the lack of maintenance is an insurance headache.

It's too bad that it's basically isolated by rail lines and there is no practical reuse for it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 11:42 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

There have been proposals floated for the air rights to parts of the railyards for decades now. This demo means nothing in terms of development but it does start to again make the wheels in my head turn concerning realistic options for all that land. It isn't as if such a thing is unheard of.

And I'll certainly be out with my camera that morning.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 12:59 AM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
New Septa ''Silverliner'' Rail Cars Begin Arriving in Phila.

by KYW's Al Novack

The first body shells of a new fleet of Septa railroad cars has arrived in Philadelphia.

A cargo ship was being unloaded at Packer Marine Terminal early Wednesday morning by longshoremen. The first three shells -- wrapped up to prevent any damage during transport -- from Hyundai Corporation in Korea were were being transported to a Hyundai subsidiary on Oregon Avenue in South Philadelphia, where they were to be outfitted and placed atop undercarriages, then delivered to Septa for use on the Regional Rail lines (see previous stories).

This is the first of 120 new rail cars for Septa to arrive over the next 18 to 24 months.

The new cars are part of a $244-million contract awarded to Hyundai to produce the new "Silverliners."
http://www.kyw1060.com/New-Septa---S...riving/5489651

Old Posted Oct 26, 2009, 2:12 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Potential SEPTA Strike - Just in time for the World Series.

Just in time for the World Series. Oh, TWU 234. Is there no end to your rampant selfishness and unwillingness to confront reality?

Transport Workers Union set to vote on strike today

Published: Sunday, October 25, 2009

By John M. Roman, jroman@delcotimes.com

PHILADELPHIA — Members of the Transport Workers Union Local 234, which represents about 4,700 workers in the City Transit Division, will vote on a strike authorization today.

The contract expired March 15 for operators and mechanics who work on the Broad Street Subway, the Market-Frankford Elevated/Subway Line, subway-surface trolleys and city bus routes.

Key issues are wages, job security, pension benefits and health care.

Union members will meet 11 a.m. today at the Sheet Metal Workers Hall, Columbus Boulevard and Washington Avenue, in South Philadelphia.

The purpose of the meeting will be to vote to authorize a strike and to set a date when a strike at SEPTA would begin.

TWU Local 234 president Willie Brown couldn’t be reached for comment Friday afternoon. Union spokesman Bob Wolper said the union and SEPTA were in negotiations Friday afternoon, but declined further comment.

At the time of the contract expiration, union president Willie Brown then said he would not “hold the riding public hostage” by striking in this down economy.

SEPTA spokesman Richard Maloney on Friday said, “we’ve been in continuing negotiations and we certainly hope for a settlement. There’s no need for a strike.”

He declined to discuss what contingency plans SEPTA would implement in the event of a walkout and would deal with that at that time. “I don’t want to get into any speculation,” he said. “I certainly don’t see any need for a work stoppage.”

SEPTA has a $1.13 billion operating budget, a 3.3 percent increase, which doesn’t include any fare increases or service cuts for this fiscal year.

Despite $50 million worth of projects in Delaware County over the next two years thanks to federal stimulus money, SEPTA General Manager in August said he expects a $120 million shortfall to hit the transit agency in 2011 when Act 44 dedicated funding dries up.

The largest anticipated cost increase, about $40.5 million, is for labor and benefits, which SEPTA predicted will rise 5.4 percent to $792.5 million.

Last Sunday, TWU 234 ran a newspaper ad addressed to SEPTA riders which stated that “SEPTA has been refusing to even discuss issues that we think are important — things like dignity and respect for our union’s members.” It has also taken out television ads.

The union said SEPTA refuses to discuss the ability of union members to have a say in their work assignments based on seniority. The union said this is an important civil rights and seniority issue.

The union stated “our patience is wearing out.” It indicated the members haven’t stopped working because in this recession SEPTA riders rely on them more than ever — “but enough is enough.”

SEPTA has a $1.13 billion operating budget, a 3.3 percent increase, which doesn’t include any fare increases or service cuts.

Contracts also expired in April for the United Transportation Union Local 1595, which represents 340 vehicle operators in the Victory Division (formerly Red Arrow) in Delaware County.

Contracts also expired in April for TWU units which represent workers in the suburban transit divisions in Bucks and Montgomery counties.

NBC10 has reported that if a deal isn't reached by Friday, they walk. Classy.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 2:34 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

If they walk, how am I supposed to get to school? Urgh...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 6:08 PM
Resident Jackass

^ it's just the city transit workers...the regional rail lines are a different union

Old Posted Oct 27, 2009, 8:34 PM

It really depends what you need to do. If you're staying near the airport, there is a train station right there that can take you directly into Center City. However, if you are doing anything involving the suburbs, you might want to look into a rental car.

Most SEPTA (public transit) fares here are around $2. The buses cost that much, the trains vary depending on where you are going. The real problem with the transit system is that everything goes directly in and out of Center City, and there is little to no option when going from one area outside the center to another.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 8:00 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

I posted this in P8 and will place it here for folks who haven't seen it there.

Three maps showing originally envisioned versions of the Philadelphia subway system.

This map depicts the originally proposed 1912 system. You can see certain ideas that were altered or never came to fruition including the full route of the South Broad Street subway to League Island (Navy Yard), an elevated route along Woodland Avenue as well as subway/elevated lines to Germantown & Chelten Avenue and the first phase of the Roosevelt Blvd. subway. Also shown are the routes for the Parkway/29th Street line (the Walnut Lane Bridge was built with provisions for the never built subway) and the originally envisioned route for the Frankford El to a terminal at Rhawn Street. You'll also note the Center City delivery loop and a Chestnut Street subway.

This map depicts the 1923 finalized system - after completion of the Market Street subway and Frankford El. The Broad Street subway was under construction at the time. You'll note the Walnut Street subway that would have fed into the Woodland Avenue El as well as the Eighth St/Ridge Avenue subway. Also, the Chestnut Street trolley subway is depicted along with the Parkway line feeding directly into the Broad Street Subway at City Hall as was originally intended (hence the odd turn the line makes north of City Hall - it was not to avoid the building foundations - it was to allow for an easier connection to the Parkway line.) The Chestnut Street line would have began at Franklin Square.

This is a more detailed look at one version of the Center City loop with a track map. This version was new to me when I saw it. Instead of the Parkway line feeding into the Broad Street Subway this version has it feeding into the delivery loop via 16th, Walnut and 8th Streets before taking Ridge Avenue to meet with the North Broad Street trunk.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 4:22 PM
America's Hometown

The SEPTA unions are a bunch of a-holes. They already are making pretty good money. Why don't they ask the people on their buses and rail cars if they make the same kind of money and benefits they currently receive. I bet most of the passengers are worse off.

This kind of crap is why unions have a bad name. They just don't get it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
The SEPTA unions are a bunch of a-holes. They already are making pretty good money. Why don't they ask the people on their buses and rail cars if they make the same kind of money and benefits they currently receive. I bet most of the passengers are worse off.

This kind of crap is why unions have a bad name. They just don't get it.
Any burger flipper can be trained to drive a bus in a few days. Let the college kids have these jobs. They don't need to be paid $80k per year to do it.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 12:48 PM
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Posted on Tue, Nov. 3, 2009

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br...on_strike.html

SEPTA workers on strike

By Robert Moran
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SEPTA's largest union went on strike early this morning - crippling a transit system that averages more than 928,000 trips every weekday in the city........
I can't believe the union walked away from an 11% raise.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 2:16 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Mmm strike.

And of course the track work between Penllyn and Gwynedd Valley is making my commute even more miserable...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 4:41 PM

Unions suck. They use the threat of force to coerce employers to pay them more than they are worth.

I just don't see how someone driving a bus can expect to earn more than $20 per hour. It's not brain surgery. Anyone can do it. If they want a high paying job they should go back to school and learn a real career.

I think it's time we tell these unions where to go.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:21 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWatusi View Post
I can't believe the union walked away from an 11% raise.
I can. They are greedy.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
I can. They are greedy.
I think it's time the public demands an end to unions.

If you don't like the terms of your employment, go find a better job (if you can).

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 3:35 PM
Resident Jackass

Anybody see the story about the R5 fire yesterday?

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...-69269327.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation