HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #19461  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 2:42 PM
Mikieman Mikieman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 114
Drove down Delaware Ave today and it's looking nicer then I can ever remember. The Bike/Pedestrian lanes are complete from Washington to past Spring Garden and were busy with bikers/runners. Durst building and Festival Pier sites full speed ahead. If we could get the Spring Garden Greenway and if they wouldn't have messed up the Washington Ave. re-design, this would make a phenomenal bike beltway around the city incorporating the Schuylkill trail. Delaware Ave. is going to be such a different place 5 years from now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19462  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:26 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Powelton Village, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,103
Re: Hallahan, I don't think the east building is going to stay. The main building fronting 19th might.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19463  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:26 PM
jaysb jaysb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: S.Hill
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Sorry, totally unrelated. But has anyone heard anything about the Spring Garden Greenway and what's happening there? Is this still happening? Anytime soon?

The sight of this shitty median made me think of it.
Great questions, I was naive and hopeful when I first heard about this about 10 years ago living in NL. There used to be a website, I think they had some federal funding (as it was part of a East Coast long bikeway) but it's been quiet since.

While I can't complain about the amount of positive developments going on, seeing firsthand the drama surrounding Wash Ave I'm not too confident this will get moving anytime soon. Sadly because it needs help!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19464  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:43 PM
skyhigh07 skyhigh07 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Re: Hallahan, I don't think the east building is going to stay. The main building fronting 19th might.
It looks like the entire block is landmarked. So both would have to stay.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19465  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:55 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Powelton Village, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
It looks like the entire block is landmarked. So both would have to stay.
Has to be an overbuild then. Can't see the buildings being reused in their current state or height.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19466  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:12 PM
PHLtoNYC PHLtoNYC is offline
Chris
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: New York city
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
Great questions, I was naive and hopeful when I first heard about this about 10 years ago living in NL. There used to be a website, I think they had some federal funding (as it was part of a East Coast long bikeway) but it's been quiet since.

While I can't complain about the amount of positive developments going on, seeing firsthand the drama surrounding Wash Ave I'm not too confident this will get moving anytime soon. Sadly because it needs help!
Is the plan to completely redesign Spring Garden or just spruce up the median?

At the very least, I wish the city would just keep the median maintained until the greenway project starts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19467  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:23 PM
PHLtoNYC PHLtoNYC is offline
Chris
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: New York city
Posts: 1,018
Not to be a debbie downer, it's great to see infill development, but LVL North At 510 North Broad Street is atrocious, and Edgewater II is another JKRP special, too cheap looking for such a prime location.

The Vine on the other hand is a well-done project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19468  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:44 PM
TonyTone's Avatar
TonyTone TonyTone is offline
Low Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Philly Metro DE-PA-NJ
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Not to be a debbie downer, it's great to see infill development, but LVL North At 510 North Broad Street is atrocious, and Edgewater II is another JKRP special, too cheap looking for such a prime location.

The Vine on the other hand is a well-done project.
As much as we all wished that building was designed better and built taller at least we have one nice sized building across the street being built and then hopefully soon the Mural Tower which is a very nice height.

So all 4 corners of Broad and Spring Garden will be filled & the amount of density we will see come from it will be amazing.

If we keep this growth and population up we for sure will see the EL/BSL be expanded in the next 10 Years.

In fact I think if we our Population hits 2 Million+ we will have really start investing in trains again.
__________________
Promoting Cities since 1998!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19469  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:52 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Powelton Village, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,103
We should be investing in more subways now SO THAT we hit 2 million.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19470  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:55 PM
TonyTone's Avatar
TonyTone TonyTone is offline
Low Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Philly Metro DE-PA-NJ
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
We should be investing in more subways now SO THAT we hit 2 million.
Well McGrath you are the closest person to SEPTA now lol.

But I think they are waiting for indicators to happen before they will invest again, maybe it will be easier for us to get grands and fed help or push for it to really happen just like in the 1900's

However this is all my opinion not factual so it could be something completely different.

Also not to bring NYC in but when I visited last week and took the Sub to go somewhere it was extremely easy and you can definitely live in NYC your whole life without a car.
__________________
Promoting Cities since 1998!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19471  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:57 PM
mcgrath618's Avatar
mcgrath618 mcgrath618 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Powelton Village, Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Well McGrath you are the closest person to SEPTA now lol.

But I think they are waiting for indicators to happen before they will invest again, maybe it will be easier for us to get grands and fed help or push for it to really happen just like in the 1900's

However this is all my opinion not factual so it could be something completely different.
Literally the only reason that we aren't seeing more investment in Philadelphia's rapid transit (but instead are seeing KOP Rail) is politics. Most of it isn't even just pettiness, it's lack of wont, motivation, and creativity.
__________________
Philadelphia Transportation Thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19472  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:10 PM
skyhigh07 skyhigh07 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 428
Retail Update! It looks like State and Liberty is moving over to the old Barbour spot. Also, it looks like the “for lease” signage is down at the former Ulta. Hopefully, something will be going in there soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19473  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:10 PM
TempleGuy1000 TempleGuy1000 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 578
Given the fact we are nearly 1000 pages into this low-rise thread, and the last 200 pages have been dominated by TOD built off of the Market-Frankford Line in the riverwards, SEPTA, the city, the state, and every other stakeholder should be doing everything in their power to clean up the MFL. It's an absolute nightmare right now and a terrible experience that 100% discourages people from ever riding. The last concern should be some theoretical subway line.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19474  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:16 PM
TonyTone's Avatar
TonyTone TonyTone is offline
Low Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Philly Metro DE-PA-NJ
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Given the fact we are nearly 1000 pages into this low-rise thread, and the last 200 pages have been dominated by TOD built off of the Market-Frankford Line in the riverwards, SEPTA, the city, the state, and every other stakeholder should be doing everything in their power to clean up the MFL. It's an absolute nightmare right now and a terrible experience that 100% discourages people from ever riding. The last concern should be some theoretical subway line.
I aint gonna lie Id take the EL a lot and I mean probably everyday to get to CC if I didn't feel I had to watch for my gear in fear ill get mugged over my camera that the person probably doesn't even know how to use or someone asking me for change every stop, it's just mentally tasking.

The QOL issues are just annoying at this point, Septa pushes people to use cars at this point, I mean why can't Kenney just push down on Train safety and cleanliness just like Adams did in NYC, it's almost like they want SEPTA to shut down due to no riders.
__________________
Promoting Cities since 1998!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19475  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:21 PM
PHLtoNYC PHLtoNYC is offline
Chris
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: New York city
Posts: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
As much as we all wished that building was designed better and built taller at least we have one nice sized building across the street being built and then hopefully soon the Mural Tower which is a very nice height.

So all 4 corners of Broad and Spring Garden will be filled & the amount of density we will see come from it will be amazing.

If we keep this growth and population up we for sure will see the EL/BSL be expanded in the next 10 Years.

In fact I think if we our Population hits 2 Million+ we will have really start investing in trains again.
Yes, 545 North Broad is looking nice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19476  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:23 PM
TempleGuy1000 TempleGuy1000 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I aint gonna lie Id take the EL a lot and I mean probably everyday to get to CC if I didn't feel I had to watch for my gear in fear ill get mugged over my camera that the person probably doesn't even know how to use or someone asking me for change every stop, it's just mentally tasking.

The QOL issues are just annoying at this point, Septa pushes people to use cars at this point, I mean why can't Kenney just push down on Train safety and cleanliness just like Adams did in NYC, it's almost like they want SEPTA to shut down due to no riders.
IMO, Leslie Richard's needs to be immediately removed as head of the agency. Leadership comes from the top down. The fact that SEPTA has tried absolutely nothing in response to the problems (other than mopping the floors a couple more times a month) is beyond baffling. The excessive locking of the gates at random stations, the endless smoking on platforms, the panhandling, etc. etc., it's tough to not come to the same conclusion that whoever is in charge simply views themselves as a care taker of a system that is slowly dying off.

I had a friend visit this weekend. We had a great time in the city. 100% regretted taking them on SEPTA.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19477  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:39 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,651
Things were headed this direction before COVID. I rode Septa for decades and I would take my (now) older kids on Septa "joyrides." The last couple of trips in before COVID reminded me of what the subway and Suburban were like in my childhood. I haven't been back and am sad that the younger kids have yet to have the joy of riding a "real" train (vs. trips to Strasburg).
__________________
Paterfamilias
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19478  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:46 PM
TempleGuy1000 TempleGuy1000 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Things were headed this direction before COVID. I rode Septa for decades and I would take my (now) older kids on Septa "joyrides." The last couple of trips in before COVID reminded me of what the subway and Suburban were like in my childhood. I haven't been back and am sad that the younger kids have yet to have the joy of riding a "real" train (vs. trips to Strasburg).
Well, I think that's what annoys me the most about the response from 'leadership'. They all blame covid. Kenney about the tax base problems. Krasner with the crime. Carlton Williams with the trash and streets dept. Richard's with the subway. All blame COVID as if these weren't the most pressing quality of life issues prior to the pandemic too. The only thing the pandemic did was bring these problems to a head. They 100% existed before as you correctly point out. The broad street line is a much better experience, but city hall / 15th street station itself is a major problem. I understand not being able to control the problems on the ground around the Berks station and ones north of there, but the fact there has been no attempt to do anything about the biggest and busiest station is absolutely crazy. Beyond Allan Domb, Rebecca Rhynhart, and like Curtis Jones, I don't think a single person has earned a re-election or deserves to be reappointed for a longer term in any of their positions. I honestly 100% believe that Kenney quit on the city when people started to attack his daughter online. In the city's greatest time of need, he has completely vanished from view.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19479  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:48 PM
TonyTone's Avatar
TonyTone TonyTone is offline
Low Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Philly Metro DE-PA-NJ
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
IMO, Leslie Richard's needs to be immediately removed as head of the agency. Leadership comes from the top down. The fact that SEPTA has tried absolutely nothing in response to the problems (other than mopping the floors a couple more times a month) is beyond baffling. The excessive locking of the gates at random stations, the endless smoking on platforms, the panhandling, etc. etc., it's tough to not come to the same conclusion that whoever is in charge simply views themselves as a care taker of a system that is slowly dying off.

I had a friend visit this weekend. We had a great time in the city. 100% regretted taking them on SEPTA.
I thought Leslie was actually better then the last guy, why the hell can't we hire figures who actually want to make the change and push things to a new and better level.

It's sad to say but the only person who actually did a full top to bottom change was Krasner when he fired the whole office back a couple years ago, we can talk all we want how bad he's doing but he actually is making steps for change in a broken and corrupted system.
__________________
Promoting Cities since 1998!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19480  
Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:51 PM
jaysb jaysb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: S.Hill
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Is the plan to completely redesign Spring Garden or just spruce up the median?

At the very least, I wish the city would just keep the median maintained until the greenway project starts.
Agree, no reason they can't add some greenery to the concrete medians like they did on Delaware which always looks fantastic (kudos to PHS or whomever tends this).

When I saw the plans ~10 years ago, it called for protected walk and bike paths in the middle surrounded by vegetation. I don't recall this being the website but this looks pretty similar to what I saw:

http://interface-studio.com/projects...arden-greenway

Given what went down with Wash Ave, I think this is wishful thinking...BUT Spring Garden does not have the same large contractor stores and different council folks, so maybe they would be more open; I imagine the neighborhoods surrounding Spring Garden are less NIMBY
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:06 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.