HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
First off, thanks for all your updates!

This makes a bit more sense. However, there are some nice, apparently well maintained four story brownstones there. On the otherhand 17 stories is a new highrise. Any details on this. Seems like something higher end?
They are actually brick and not brownstone (unless you are from NY and call any attached home a brownstone??). I always thought Friends Select was in those buildings. You can see that they are all converted to office space since the windows are all single panes that don't open.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
New stuff:

614 N Front 9 floors 25 units

1701 Race 7 floors 28 units

4537 Wayne Ave 35 units

1924 E Hagert 147 units-- pictured here with another proposal, 1929 E York

New Construction permit has FINALLY been pulled for 4224 Baltimore which will be sure to anger some local nutbags. Six stories, 132 units.
New construction a short walk away from Wayne Junction in Germantown? Now that's awesome! I've heard that the area immediately surrounding Wayne Junction has been experiencing a lot of rehabs, so it's nice to see some ground-up construction in the pipeline.

1924 E. Hagert will also be a nice project to watch. I go directly to my gym from work, which means getting off the El at York-Dauphin and walking through East Kensington. There are a lot of interesting projects going up in the area, especially along Front Street and Kensington Avenue!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
They are actually brick and not brownstone (unless you are from NY and call any attached home a brownstone??). I always thought Friends Select was in those buildings. You can see that they are all converted to office space since the windows are all single panes that don't open.
I hope they try to maintain the facades. It's a handsome row.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 11:00 PM

That's a massive development on Boston and Hagert. Is there parking with that? It's quite substantial for the area. And I wonder if they'll do something with it's roof -- it looks like a prime opportunity for a green roof.

Last edited by ScreamShatter; May 10, 2019 at 12:40 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah from what I understand, the Philadelphia Code doesn't have any specific language about windows on party walls but the International Building Code does.

One of the old Philly cases was about a house that had a first floor kitchen window on its party wall facing someone's backyard. The neighbor didn't like it so he built a cinder block wall right in front of it on his own property. The builder of the wall won the case. I think about it because my neighbor at my house has a window on the party wall on the second floor facing my backyard. It's never really bothered me because its a small bathroom window that's 6 feet high inside that room but I always wondered about its legality.
Your question piqued my interest (I've always wondered about windows on lot dividing lines too) so I did a little research the other day. I think i found that case you were talking about - a 1947 PA Supreme Court case that said a property owner is well within his or her rights to build an otherwise legal wall to block the window. The Supreme Court said that it doesn't matter whatsoever what the motive is to build the wall - other jurisdictions have the concept of a 'spite fence' that might not be permitted if built just to block someone's view of the ocean, say. That concept doesn't seem to have caught on in PA. That 1947 case has not been overruled and I couldn't find anything more definitive in a 10 minute search so I would tentatively say it's still good law.

Incidentally, I also stumbled on a very recent case involving 631 N. Broad which wants to tear down a 30 foot tall party wall dividing it with the plot to the south that is owned by Congregation Rodelph Shalom. The party wall is basically free standing in parts and gives no support at all to anything on the plot to the south (which houses something associated with the synagogue but not the synagogue itself). The courts said fuck off to 631 N. Broad so the wall will stay up blocking the view of several apartments with windows a few feet away.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...en&as_sdt=6,39

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 3:15 AM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
Your question piqued my interest (I've always wondered about windows on lot dividing lines too) so I did a little research the other day. I think i found that case you were talking about - a 1947 PA Supreme Court case that said a property owner is well within his or her rights to build an otherwise legal wall to block the window. The Supreme Court said that it doesn't matter whatsoever what the motive is to build the wall - other jurisdictions have the concept of a 'spite fence' that might not be permitted if built just to block someone's view of the ocean, say. That concept doesn't seem to have caught on in PA. That 1947 case has not been overruled and I couldn't find anything more definitive in a 10 minute search so I would tentatively say it's still good law.

Incidentally, I also stumbled on a very recent case involving 631 N. Broad which wants to tear down a 30 foot tall party wall dividing it with the plot to the south that is owned by Congregation Rodelph Shalom. The party wall is basically free standing in parts and gives no support at all to anything on the plot to the south (which houses something associated with the synagogue but not the synagogue itself). The courts said fuck off to 631 N. Broad so the wall will stay up blocking the view of several apartments with windows a few feet away.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...en&as_sdt=6,39
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks about party wall windows-- I read about the 631 N Broad case awhile back-- ironically enough I met the developer of that project earlier today and I totally forgot to ask him about it!

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 6:24 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Re: 17th and Race

Sorry folks, got it all wrong. 1700-06 Race St, not 1701. It will be 17 stories, not 7. Still 28 units.
A brief PlanPhilly piece on this one today:

17-story condo tower to rise in Comcast Center’s backyard | PlanPhilly.com
The project, dubbed the “Residences on Race,” would clear three large 19th century buildings for 29 condo units housed in a glassy 190-foot edifice.

…though the development is in its early phases and the school’s lease has not yet expired.

“If we’re somewhere between step one and 100, we’re probably at step three,” Eizen said. “This is not going to happen tomorrow, but maybe in the next year or year-and-a-half.”

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post

“If we’re somewhere between step one and 100, we’re probably at step three,” Eizen said. “This is not going to happen tomorrow, but maybe in the next year or year-and-a-half.”[/I][/INDENT]
Well, I recommend they demo those historic properties at step 4 before they even figure out if they can even finance the project. (sarcasm)

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 7:20 PM

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
The site is going to be larger than people think. A demo permit got pulled by the same contractor for 1105 Walnut. I predict someone will call it "handsome" when its getting taken down.
But that portion seems earmarked for a parking lot. I assume for the adjoining building that will rise on the Wendy's parcel.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 2:42 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
But that portion seems earmarked for a parking lot. I assume for the adjoining building that will rise on the Wendy's parcel.
Sorry for sowing the seeds of confusion. It was in 1956 that the owner of 1105 wanted to tear it down for a parking lot. ;-)

Quote:
Funny thing, there was an application to demolish 1105 Walnut for a private parking lot in 1956 (apparently for use by the property at 1107, per the applicant's address). Somehow it dodged the bullet that time.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lni-zoning-pdfs/219-374392.pdf

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 3:23 PM
Fishtown & Country

From Thursday, 5/9
Delaware Ave., next to Penn Treaty Park

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Sorry for sowing the seeds of confusion. It was in 1956 that the owner of 1105 wanted to tear it down for a parking lot. ;-)
Got it. Thanks.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
A brief PlanPhilly piece on this one today:

17-story condo tower to rise in Comcast Center’s backyard | PlanPhilly.com
The project, dubbed the “Residences on Race,” would clear three large 19th century buildings for 29 condo units housed in a glassy 190-foot edifice.

…though the development is in its early phases and the school’s lease has not yet expired.

“If we’re somewhere between step one and 100, we’re probably at step three,” Eizen said. “This is not going to happen tomorrow, but maybe in the next year or year-and-a-half.”
Does this smell like a flip? Small time developer...school still in the middle of the lease, etc... I'm giving this a 20% chance of happening.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 4:59 PM

1700 Race St - Residences on Race
72,279 SF Office Building Offered For Sale in Philadelphia, PA

High end condominium development project. The 17 story development consists of 28 residences along with 28 deeded parking spaces. Ground floor commercial space and resident gym have also been implemented into the project

ABOUT 1700 RACE ST , PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103 Get Financing
Price Upon Request Rentable Building Area 72,279 SF
Property Type Office Sale Conditions Redevelopment Project
Building Class A No. Stories 17
Sale Type Investment Parking Ratio 0.39/1,000 SF
Lot Size 0.10 AC Zoning Description CMX 4
Construction Status Proposed APN / Parcel ID 883060600
Listing ID: 15941708 Date Created: 5/3/2019 Last Updated: 5/7/2019

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:27 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
1700 Race St - Residences on Race
72,279 SF Office Building Offered For Sale in Philadelphia, PA

High end condominium development project. The 17 story development consists of 28 residences along with 28 deeded parking spaces. Ground floor commercial space and resident gym have also been implemented into the project

ABOUT 1700 RACE ST , PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103 Get Financing
Price Upon Request Rentable Building Area 72,279 SF
Property Type Office Sale Conditions Redevelopment Project
Building Class A No. Stories 17
Sale Type Investment Parking Ratio 0.39/1,000 SF
Lot Size 0.10 AC Zoning Description CMX 4
Construction Status Proposed APN / Parcel ID 883060600
Listing ID: 15941708 Date Created: 5/3/2019 Last Updated: 5/7/2019
Please supply the link when you cite a web page, especially since the copy-pasta text formatting is somewhat scrambled above.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1700...a-PA/15941708/

Also, many further renderings and details in the product brochure linked from loopnet:

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/Lm0RR...g/document.pdf

Last edited by Jayfar; May 13, 2019 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 6:21 PM

We have a thread for this project:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...40#post8571640

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 6:39 PM

LOL. Apologies and mea culpas to everyone involved. Also, I looked for a thread for this and did not see it.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 4:12 PM

K-8 Schools and New Academic Building for College of Nursing
and Health Professions to rise on Drexel Campus

Dear Members of the Drexel Community:
A transformational development will rise on the Drexel campus over the next several years, providing a new home for two high-performing and innovative West Philadelphia public schools, and bringing the College of Nursing and Health Professions from Center City to University City.

I'm pleased to announce that Drexel has entered into an agreement with developer Wexford Science & Technology, LLC for the design and construction of two buildings on the former University City High School site, on the western end of the University City campus at 36th and Filbert streets, with financing provided by Ventas, Inc. These two projects will bring more dynamism to our campus and further connect us with our neighboring community.

Up first: the design and construction of a $38 million home for the Powel Elementary School and the Science Leadership Academy Middle School. The school project is nearly fully funded through a combination of private and public funding secured by Drexel, aided by generous contributions from the Lenfest Foundation and now, Wexford and Ventas. The final funds needed to start the project will be sought from other public sources.

Once all the funding is in hand, construction on the K-8 facility is expected to begin later this year and be completed in time for the 2020-2021 school year. The School District of Philadelphia will lease the building from Drexel and the facility will house both the Powel School, currently at 36th Street and Powelton Avenue, and the Science Leadership Academy Middle School, which opened in 2016 at Drexel's Dornsife Center for Neighborhood Partnerships and recently moved into space at 3600 Market Street.
The second project is an academic building to house Drexel's College of Nursing and Health Professions, which will relocate from Center City under a long-term lease agreement with Wexford. Under the terms, Wexford will finance, develop, and construct the building for occupancy in 2022.

The College of Nursing and Health Professions is currently located at Three Parkway and two other buildings in Center City. Its move to University City will enable the College to consolidate academic and research programs, and allow its students, faculty and professional staff to have easier access to the full resources of the University, including the libraries, fitness center, theaters, athletic fields, student organizations, dining facilities and more. In addition to providing state-of-the-art academic facilities, the new building also will facilitate greater collaboration between the College and Drexel's other colleges and schools.

The two projects will further our roots as an anchor institution in West Philadelphia that is focused on both innovation and inclusion. I hope you share my excitement in looking ahead to groundbreaking ceremonies for these two pivotal additions to our campus community.
Sincerely,
John Fry
President

This message was sent to Drexel Official Mail. See more information here.
This message to Drexel Official Mail was approved under the authority of
John Fry, President.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:46 PM

nice

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development