HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 11:05 PM
Paradise Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
People don't realize how fragile civil society is. All it takes is a period of time and hardship for the deck of cards to fall. If TikTok is down for a few days, GenZ will not survive.

When it happens, I am going to form a cult in the Nevada desert and you are all cordially invited.
Two weeks of empty grocery stores and we are in Mad Max world.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
...and the Founding Fathers were smart as hell. This country's establishment was a one-in-a-million circumstance.
Nah... they were just privileged and educated dudes, at a time when both were quite rare, who found themselves in a relatively untouched land blessed with natural resources unparalleled on the planet, and protected from outside influence by thousands of miles of vast ocean on both sides. That's why it has succeeded as the longest form of democratic govt in history, not because of their supposed "genius".

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It's not a fantasy, lol. This is supported by things that happened. You don't need to be a cunning genius to destabilize a country. A powerful idiot has brought down more societies than we can count.
As long as we understand “collapse” to mean irreconcilable political dysfunction ala breakup of the Soviet Union… and not Mad Max end of civilized life as we know it,

I think the first is a plausible danger in the far off future, the second is not even worth thinking about outside of fiction.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 11:47 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

st. louis city and county already pretty much function like inner and outer rings of a city-state. last i checked we funded our own transit and a bunch of other stuff.

probably more traffic and international commerce via the river (again).

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Utah becomes the Mormon kingdom and is its own thing entirely
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Mormons would likely move en masse to Deseret/
Haha. Utah War 2.0! Polygamy is back on the menu! To be honest though I might even join them. Between having large families, a religious injunction to store food and prepare for cataclysm, and being a large somewhat insular religious community with an established leadership hierarchy, they'd probably do better than most.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 1:57 AM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Haha. Utah War 2.0! Polygamy is back on the menu! To be honest though I might even join them. Between having large families, a religious injunction to store food and prepare for cataclysm, and being a large somewhat insular religious community with an established leadership hierarchy, they'd probably do better than most.
Yes, my people would thrive as far as sustaining their daily needs and being organized and orderly. It's what they do best.

However, despite the fact that I love them, I could **never** live around so many of them-just not my thing. No, I think I'll just stay here and take my chances in the rough and tumble climes of California.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 2:13 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

If the US collapsed, Texas would become a deeply authoritarian one-party state. I would not want to live here anymore.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 2:34 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
If the US collapsed, Texas would become a deeply authoritarian one-party state. I would not want to live here anymore.
I don’t disagree with this, and I also think that we’d run the risk of Balkanizing ourselves and splitting into competing states each centered around one of the major cities and Mexico picking off the RGV and El Paso and much of the borderlands. It’d be a sad reality.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 3:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
People don't realize how fragile civil society is.....
Things have been said only 9 missed meals and anarchy could take place

The problem is

is that the more densely populated areas would suffer first from the shortage of food and fuel.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
st. louis city and county already pretty much function like inner and outer rings of a city-state. last i checked we funded our own transit and a bunch of other stuff.

probably more traffic and international commerce via the river (again).
No doubt, St. Louis would be a much more robust metro if even half of the money we send to the state of Missouri was reinvested into the region. I honestly think St. Louis would do pretty well as an independent city-state too. It would be great if American metro areas had the same sort of autonomy that many countries give urban zones. The state system is a somewhat antiquated way of administrating urban areas in the 21st century, but I highly doubt the rural dominated state legislatures would agree to such an arrangement.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 4:50 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
If the US collapsed, Texas would as well. This wouldn't be like the Soviet Union where only the Soviet government fell with the republics still left standing relatively intact.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 7:16 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
If the US collapsed, Texas would as well. This wouldn't be like the Soviet Union where only the Soviet government fell with the republics still left standing relatively intact.
Pretty sure a deeply authoritarian state would be a collapse, no?

And I somewhat disagree on your premise, anyway. There are likely a number of states that would come out relatively intact, even if economically harmed tremendously in the short and medium term. Of course, who knows what happens long term in such a scenario. California and Texas are the two most obvious candidates, even more so than New York (which would have to go about bargaining with Jersey, Connecticut, and others to ensure the continuation of the metro within a single national entity). I’d also nominate Louisiana to that list.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Nah... they were just privileged and educated dudes,
...who risked their lives by defying the King of England.

No little Twitter advocate has willingly signed their own death warrant by their fashionable pursuit "justice". It's not even possible - thanks to those hum-drum privileged and educated dudes.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Dec 14, 2022 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 3:50 PM

It would just become the US again.
The great lakes would form an alliance with the northeast for economic prosperity. The west coast would form another entity. Plains states would have to form economic agreements with both entities to get their product out to markets. Eventually they might be folded in. I can see texas and the deep south holding out. The great lakes/northeast alliance might eventually invade the south for control of the Mississippi, in the meantime the great lakes/east coast alliance could use east coast ports to get product in and out. The great plains states would also also need access to imports and while they would have access via an alliance with texas/south its probably more economically feasible to unite with the west coast or greatlakes/northeast. Ideology is important but the business owners of the great plains would most likely guide the direction of those states and in the end money talks. Alaska and Hawaii would most likely unite with the west coast union.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
As long as we understand “collapse” to mean irreconcilable political dysfunction ala breakup of the Soviet Union… and not Mad Max end of civilized life as we know it,

I think the first is a plausible danger in the far off future, the second is not even worth thinking about outside of fiction.
Yeah, I'm talking about a government collapse a la Soviet Union, not necessarily a societal collapse. The Civil War was a government collapse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_collapse

These have happened with regularity throughout the history of civilization, and are usually violent. The post WW2 era is unique in that there have been many amicable collapses, such as the Soviet Union and the end of the British empire.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 7:42 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah, I'm talking about a government collapse a la Soviet Union, not necessarily a societal collapse. The Civil War was a government collapse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_collapse

These have happened with regularity throughout the history of civilization, and are usually violent. The post WW2 era is unique in that there have been many amicable collapses, such as the Soviet Union and the end of the British empire.
IMHO, the US is 'collapsing' due to political extremism choking the life out of public discourse and an outright denial of and/or flat out refusal to accept facts by millions of people. They are ready to die on a hill of mush and lies.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Nah... they were just privileged and educated dudes, at a time when both were quite rare, who found themselves in a relatively untouched land blessed with natural resources unparalleled on the planet, and protected from outside influence by thousands of miles of vast ocean on both sides. That's why it has succeeded as the longest form of democratic govt in history, not because of their supposed "genius".
Thats selling them a bit short come on.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
IMHO, the US is 'collapsing' due to political extremism choking the life out of public discourse and an outright denial of and/or flat out refusal to accept facts by millions of people. They are ready to die on a hill of mush and lies.
Actually I would say the internet has skewed the feeling of Political "energy"

100 years ago a bunch of dudes would load up their rifles and go citizens arrest on situations they disagreed with. Today a bunch of people bitch to their twitter and Facebook friends about policies they don't like.

Very few people have the type of political motivation to actually do anything. Case in point, January 6th being treated like anything more than a rambunctious protest or when the antifa protests in Portland were international news.

Go review the Labor and race riots from the 1930's, 20's teens, 1800's and see the vast difference of our rather pathetic politics today.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 7:50 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
I think Texas and CA could survive.

NCR stickers

Last edited by TWAK; Dec 14, 2022 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2022, 1:32 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

wikipedia.com.com

bring it (missouri territory) back (but without slavery this time…)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions