HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
If what I'm seeing is accurate (credit @sixtysixwards) Dems currently lead by literally two votes.

https://electionreturns.pa.gov/Gener...tive=undefined

Too soon to float Shapiro for 2024?
I think he is eyeing 2028, of course that assumes that either Biden or a Republican wins in 2024. If Biden were to not run and another dem wins that complicates things.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 7:22 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I don't know why some are so fearful of people RUNNING in a primary- the field is packed and the fact someone like Gym (or whomever people are so opposed to) may run means nothing in a field of 5+ legit candidates. Anyone who does not have a strong message or track record on crime and QOL issues stands no chance of winning in my view.
Quote:
I think he is eyeing 2028, of course that assumes that either Biden or a Republican wins in 2024. If Biden were to not run and another dem wins that complicates things.
I 100% agree with you, and its mind blowing to me that I haven't seen a bigger push for QOL, and crime issues, even in Florida Desantis was running on the "woke free Florida" thing which is hilarious by the way however he is a more tame republican then Trump.

I could see Shapiro running in 2028 and I think he would do good, he kind of has that glow like Obama did in 2008, and that's what people like, Biden only won because majority of the country was done with the B/S and he was the lesser evil, however just like Jim Kennel and DA Krasner, if there was a better choice it would have been picked.

All in all it will be interesting how the next 4 years go.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Our government would be able to get much more shit done without the "Squad" and folks like MJG, Boebert, Cruz, and others of their ilk.
What a ridiculous comparison lol. It's a good thing we normally don't allow politics on here.

Also ranked choice voting really isn't complicated at all. As a voter you literally just have to rank the candidates in the order that you prefer them. The votes get counted in rounds and the person receiving the least votes each round is eliminated and anyone who voted for them has their vote changed to their next preferred candidate. Not sure why we're acting like its some convoluted process

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I 100% agree with you, and its mind blowing to me that I haven't seen a bigger push for QOL, and crime issues
The results from Tuesday pretty clearly showed that "tough on crime" positions are losing ones for Democrats. House Democrats in NY made distancing themselves from "defund the police" a central part of their campaigns and got destroyed for it. I don't think your position is as popular with voters as you think it is.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_account12 View Post
What a ridiculous comparison lol. It's a good thing we normally don't allow politics on here.

Also ranked choice voting really isn't complicated at all. As a voter you literally just have to rank the candidates in the order that you prefer them. The votes get counted in rounds and the person receiving the least votes each round is eliminated and anyone who voted for them has their vote changed to their next preferred candidate. Not sure why we're acting like its some convoluted process
Yes we understand the process. The question is if it’s fair representation of voters choices and what kind of candidate ends up winning. There’s also a fair amount of nuances that you’re ignoring (candidates directing voters how to rank, voter disenfranchisement, ballot exhaustion, voters dropping out etc).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I don't know why some are so fearful of people RUNNING in a primary- the field is packed and the fact someone like Gym (or whomever people are so opposed to) may run means nothing in a field of 5+ legit candidates. Anyone who does not have a strong message or track record on crime and QOL issues stands no chance of winning in my view.
Here’s my take on a possible Gym win - I could be wrong and am open to different opinions…

The election signified people aren’t happy with the current direction the country is going in but don’t necessarily want R’s in charge. Abortion was the key issue for PA and I suspect it’ll be an animating issue going forward in future elections. While moderate Dems did rather well, there was no resounding rejection of progressivism. The very tight LA race is evidence of that. Gym has established herself as the leading progressive pro-choice candidate in the city. I think the scenario is becoming much more likely where she rides the current wave into next year, amasses the progressive vote while the other left-of-center candidates end splitting everything else with smaller fractions. I think she has a much clearer path now than before.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Here’s my take on a possible Gym win - I could be wrong and am open to different opinions…

The election signified people aren’t happy with the current direction the country is going in but don’t necessarily want R’s in charge. Abortion was the key issue for PA and I suspect it’ll be an animating issue going forward in future elections. While moderate Dems did rather well, there was no resounding rejection of progressivism. The very tight LA race is evidence of that. Gym has established herself as the leading progressive pro-choice candidate in the city. I think the scenario is becoming much more likely where she rides the current wave into next year, amasses the progressive vote while the other left-of-center candidates end splitting everything else with smaller fractions. I think she has a much clearer path now than before.
whut? what does abortion have to do with Philadelphia's mayoral race?

among all the announced candidates, gym has one of the lowest likelihoods of succeeding.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 12:00 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_account12 View Post
The results from Tuesday pretty clearly showed that "tough on crime" positions are losing ones for Democrats. House Democrats in NY made distancing themselves from "defund the police" a central part of their campaigns and got destroyed for it. I don't think your position is as popular with voters as you think it is.
Sure, lets compare a low crime area with a high crime area.

Of course the "Tough on crime" thing didn't work in upstate NY, crime levels aren't anything as drastic as Philadelphia's crime level. A tough on crime stance will net a politician votes in this area because crime is what we are dealing with.

Defund the police was a shitty take and it always will be, what they should have pushed was "Help the police" initiative which provides police tools to help with corruption, mental illness cases, community outreach and etc. You don't fix one thing by taking from another, for example if your water heater is broken, you don't take your stove and put it as a replacement.

Everything has to work together in order for the best results.

But places with low crime shouldn't have a tough on crime stance, they should keep doing whatever they're doing that's working and helping the community be the best it can.

Philadelphia is an excellent city, it just needs all the moving parts to work together to best serve the citizens.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

among all the announced candidates, gym has one of the lowest likelihoods of succeeding.
Lol it doesn’t. Politicians do it all the time. It’s an animating issue - that’s all that matters. It could be “protecting women access to healthcare in Philadelphia”.

Why does does she have the lowest chances of succeeding?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 12:23 AM

Quote:

The election signified people aren’t happy with the current direction the country is going in but don’t necessarily want R’s in charge.

This was the second best midterm for democrats since JFK, the idea that it was somehow bad for democrats is not well founded.

But that also means with such a historic midterm, Biden will be the nominee in 2024 if he wants to be, and Shapiro leaving us for DC would be pushed back to least 2028

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

A few years ago I would have given Gym really good odds, but the environment has shifted since then and I don't see a viable path forward for her.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 5:26 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Bark Social Philadelphia breaking ground next week on 15,000 SF, 30-tap outpost

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

Quote:
The social club for dogs and people will occupy more than 15,000 square feet of cafe, bar, retail and dog park space at 3720 Main St.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 5:34 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Reading Terminal Market opens new 'curbless' public space on Filbert Street

https://www.phillyvoice.com/reading-...e-center-city/

Reading Terminal Market's long-awaited expansion onto Filbert Street has finally been completed, creating a new public space in Center City for dining, shopping and cultural events.

The $1.5 million project, first announced in 2019, brings 15,000 square feet of multi-purpose space to the 1100 block of Filbert St., on the southeast side of the market. The widened, "curbless" space puts sidewalks and car lanes at equal height to the rest of the block.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 12:37 PM
Chris

^ I walked thru that stretch on Filbert street when I was in town earlier this week. What an upgrade!

And the Bark Social thing in Manayunk is an interesting idea, looks like it will be built on part of the huge parking lot by the Wine & Spirits, always good to see less parking lots.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 12:40 PM
Chris

Random question about Council people running for Mayor...

If someone resigns from Council (Domb, Green), and they lose Mayor race, can they run for a seat on Council again next election?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Bark Social Philadelphia breaking ground next week on 15,000 SF, 30-tap outpost

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s
They will be very successful in Manayunk, as there are dogs all over the place here in the Northwest. I can't wait to walk here with my puppy and grab a cold one while he plays!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 2:57 PM

Cool projects.

I agree Manayunk is a great location for Bark. And I am really excited about the RTM space. I'd love for them to add heaters to make it a more usable during the winter months.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 3:39 PM

Hey all! Check out my new Philadelphia Photo Thread below:

Philadelphia 2022 - Charm around every corner (Part 1)
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...20#post9786120

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Hey all! Check out my new Philadelphia Photo Thread below:

Philadelphia 2022 - Charm around every corner (Part 1)
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...20#post9786120
Awesome work Summers.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Lol it doesn’t. Politicians do it all the time. It’s an animating issue - that’s all that matters. It could be “protecting women access to healthcare in Philadelphia”.

Why does does she have the lowest chances of succeeding?
It's only an animating issue if it differentiates you from your opponent.

Every politician in Philadelphia is pro-choice. My brain hurts having this conversation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development