HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Monarchy - Keep or Ditch?
Keep 149 52.28%
Ditch 136 47.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 12:31 AM

vid, our system is completely corrupt but it's corrupt in that nice Canadian way that doesn't rock the boat. But it's similarly obvious.

Patronage and provinces pitted against each other for the sake of votes and the enrichment of various contributors isn't much different than corruption we perceive in the U.S. (the difference being it's not as obvious in Canada that corporations are actually running everything -they still are).

In the end, anytime we elect a majority, we elect a 4-5 year dictatorship and we really have no remedy to that.

I think the Royal family are twits, but there are more pressing issues involving electoral reform (and the Senate) that need to be addressed before we dump the Crown.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 12:47 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
In the end, anytime we elect a majority, we elect a 4-5 year dictatorship and we really have no remedy to that.
We do, but no one takes an effort to understand how it works and so they keep voting against it in referendums.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 1:29 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
We do, but no one takes an effort to understand how it works and so they keep voting against it in referendums.
Are you talking about PR? That certainly doesn't ensure stability.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 1:45 AM
I am a typical

Well it would remove the dictatorship aspect.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 1:57 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Well it would remove the dictatorship aspect.
It isn't really a dictatorship though. There comes a point at which the Crown would have to step in, and there also would come a point where court challenges would hamper anything radical and unconstitutional. There is also only so much that even the governing party would stand for from the PM and Cabinet.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 8:08 PM

Navy and air force to be royally renamed

CBC News
Posted: Aug 15, 2011 3:59 PM ET
Last Updated: Aug 15, 2011 3:59 PM ET

A royal name change for Canada's navy and air force will be announced Tuesday, and the army is also set to be renamed.

The Maritime Command and Air Command will soon be known instead as the Royal Canadian Navy and Royal Canadian Air Force, while the Land Force Command will be renamed the Canadian Army.

The name changes will be officially announced Tuesday by Defence Minister Peter MacKay, and events marking the transition are scheduled to take place simultaneously across the country.

According to a Canadian Forces document obtained by CBC News on Monday, the move restores the historic names of the three branches of the Forces, and the initiative is being billed as "an important and recognizable part of Canada's military heritage."

"These were the services that fought and emerged victorious from the Second World War and Korea and contributed to the defence of Europe and North America from the early days of the Cold War. These were also the services that paved the way in terms of international peacekeeping missions," says a note that appears to have been sent to Canadian Forces members.

The old names haven't been used since 1968 when the Royal Canadian Navy, the Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Air Force were unified under one central command named the Canadian Armed Forces.

What the units should be called has raised some debate in recent years. A group of veterans has been pushing the federal government to go back to the pre-1968 designations for the navy and air force and launched a petition calling on it to "restore the royal honour."

But not everyone supports the renaming. The NDP's defence critic Jack Harris says the move is "unnecessary" and "divisive." He told CBC News in an interview Monday that Canadians have pride in their military institutions because they are Canadian, not because of their attachment to the monarchy.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 10:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The Bloc Québécois today unsuccessfully tried to pass a motion in the House of Commons congratulating Barbados for ditching the monarchy.

As the debate was taking place, numerous other MPs tried to drown out the Bloquistes by singing God Save the Queen. There was no register taken of who was singing, but apparently they were mostly Conservatives.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 10:08 PM

I don't really care all that much one way or the other, but I suspect support for the monarchy within the Commonwealth outside of the UK will plummet after HM dies. This is especially so if Prince Charles takes over.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 10:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't really care all that much one way or the other, but I suspect support for the monarchy within the Commonwealth outside of the UK will plummet after HM dies. This is especially so if Prince Charles takes over.
You may be right but part of me sort of expects more people than we think will warm up to Charles once he becomes king. Though sure, he's unlikely to ever be as popular as his mother.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 10:33 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Is this the first time a thread has been resurrected after being dormant for over a decade?

There's a monarchy thread that's been active as recently as this year!

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=199905

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 12:02 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Bloc Québécois today unsuccessfully tried to pass a motion in the House of Commons congratulating Barbados for ditching the monarchy.

As the debate was taking place, numerous other MPs tried to drown out the Bloquistes by singing God Save the Queen. There was no register taken of who was singing, but apparently they were mostly Conservatives.
Jeebus. I guess all things are great in Canada for politics to waste time on this.

One thing. Were they pronouncing the words or mumbling? I can't help but give back a little respect if they pronouncing the words as ridiculous as it is to break out singing in response to the ludicrous motion

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Jeebus. I guess all things are great in Canada for politics to waste time on this.

One thing. Were they pronouncing the words or mumbling? I can't help but give back a little respect if they pronouncing the words as ridiculous as it is to break out singing in response to the ludicrous motion
Theatre in politics? I'm shocked.

Mostly, I'm actually shocked that they knew the lyrics to God Save the Queen. Or that anyone under the age of 50 does in Canada.

I'd always imagined the last of the 'old British Loyalist' wing of the Conservative Party finally died out when the second Joe Clark era ended, replaced by the American version. It's like finding out the dodo still actually exists on some weird untouched island.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 1:21 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Mostly, I'm actually shocked that they knew the lyrics to God Save the Queen. Or that anyone under the age of 50 does in Canada.
I learned GSTQ in elementary school and i'm younger than 99% of Parliament. Not a difficult song to sing or remember.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 2:54 AM

I was born in England and I voted to ditch. Keep our ties to the commonwealth but that's it. We should work on creating a new economic union as shown in this video.

Also, lets keep it the way it is until after The Queen is gone. Once Charles is King that will be our cue to exit.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You may be right but part of me sort of expects more people than we think will warm up to Charles once he becomes king. Though sure, he's unlikely to ever be as popular as his mother.
He is also not likely to reign very long.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:38 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Theatre in politics? I'm shocked.

I'd always imagined the last of the 'old British Loyalist' wing of the Conservative Party finally died out when the second Joe Clark era ended, replaced by the American version. It's like finding out the dodo still actually exists on some weird untouched island.
That's a very good point. I guess its both witty and dull by comparison to the theatrics south of the border.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 5:49 AM

Time to ditch. The monarchy, even though it’s just a figurehead, does not provide any benefit to Canada. Also, why are we supporting a family of people who were responsible for one of the most evil empires to ever exist? I have a bit of a different viewpoint because I’m Indian but in 2021 what monarchies stand for is incompatible with the social progressiveness of Canada.

I agree with the CANZUK cooperation too. Canada needs other locations where people can travel and live freely. Imagine how life would be to one day visit a world class city like London, and then head out to the Australian outback without having to even bring a passport. Or maybe one day I feel like moving to Wellington and it would be as easy as moving to another province. Not to mention the economic benefits of free trade between these markets and strengthening of alliances between 4 countries very similar culturally and of course linguistically.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:01 AM
I am the law!

Beam me up Scottie. IMO, The passport is a menial obstacle by comparisons to current travel times between Canada and Oceania. Language is not much of a barrier in 2021 either. With that said, I think its great sharing intelligence. I also think the US Military has found a patsy in Australia

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I agree with the CANZUK cooperation too. Canada needs other locations where people can travel and live freely. Imagine how life would be to one day visit a world class city like London, and then head out to the Australian outback without having to even bring a passport. Or maybe one day I feel like moving to Wellington and it would be as easy as moving to another province.
There is no way Australia or NZ would ever agree to that, and the UK probably wouldn't either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Not to mention the economic benefits of free trade between these markets and strengthening of alliances between 4 countries very similar culturally and of course linguistically.
We already have free trade with all of these countries. (TPP with AUS and NZ, Canada-UK TCA with the UK, plus the UK is trying to join the TPP)

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 8:04 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Ditch.
Should have done it a long time ago.
Absolutely mind boggling that Canada is still tied to the British monarchy.

And lets get rid of the Senate while we’re at it - useless.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada