HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | 350 Park Avenue | 1,350 FT | 51 FLOORS

Looks like 350 Park Avenue could be next in line for a major overhaul or demolition...

https://commercialobserver.com/2018/...-plaza-towers/

Quote:
Vornado Realty Trust Chairman Steven Roth just revealed that his firm has reached a tentative deal to sell its 49.5 percent stake in 666 Fifth Avenue....

...Finally, he dropped a hint that Vornado’s 350 Park Avenue could be dramatically expanded or torn down. The 58-year-old, Emery Roth & Sons-designed tower between East 51st and 52nd Streets is well-positioned to take advantage of the new floor area and zoning incentives created by the Midtown East rezoning...

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/350-P...rk-NY/6539238/

Reading Tom

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:59 PM

Hopefully this will be the next Park Ave. supertall office tower.

This site deserves a much better tower than the current mediocre bore.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:01 PM
New Yorker for life

I don't know how big that footprint is. But I could see something more modern, like 425 Park.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Excellent. I was hoping this tower would bite the dust. Kinda a blight on the area. LA TOWER REVOLUCION!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 8:01 PM

these wedding cake esque modernist buildings are the ones I'd like to see replaced rather than the towering International style skyscrapers.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 10:06 PM
New Yorker for life

I'm no fan of this building. But the wedding-style towers are more uniquely NY than the others.

The tower just south of this one(320 Park) was redeveloped years ago.

http://bestmanhattanoffices.com/prop...0-park-avenue/

Quote:
320 Park Avenue was originally designed by Emery Roth & Sons in 1960. In 1995, a Swanke Hayden Connell-led redesign expanded the 35-story tower’s square footage to 730,000 square feet.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/14/r...ld-zoning.html

Building's New Look Shaped by Old Zoning

By DAVID W. DUNLAP

Quote:
Since 320 Park Avenue was constructed just months ahead of the 1961 Zoning Resolution, it has about one and a half times as much floor space as would be allowed in a new building on the same site, making it well worth an owner's while to rebuild it rather than replace it. Mutual plans to occupy 10 floors and lease the rest when the building reopens in the spring of 1995.

In the redesign by Swanke Hayden Connell Architects, the most obvious change to the flat-topped tower between 50th and 51st Streets will be the addition of a 52-foot-high gabled peak, which is to cover the rooftop mechanical equipment.

...Ungainly though it may be, 320 Park Avenue has 626,000 square feet of space. Under current zoning, a new building on the same lot could have about 441,000 square feet. In other words, Mutual effectively gets 185,000 square feet more than it would were it to start from scratch.

Thanks to the rezoning, it makes more sense to start from scratch if you can. Hopefully Vornado will just build a new tower on the site.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 10:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

In the above shot, you'd almost think that from a super tall tower perspective, the base itself is fine, and that possibly a partial demo of everything past the base would occur. Using that existing base, modify it, and use it as the springboard for a much taller tower.

Quote:
...Ungainly though it may be, 320 Park Avenue has 626,000 square feet of space. Under current zoning, a new building on the same lot could have about 441,000 square feet. In other words, Mutual effectively gets 185,000 square feet more than it would were it to start from scratch.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 10:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote from Steven Roth...

Looking forward to what they come up with.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 11:27 PM
Meh

Isn't this the building Elaine worked in on Seinfeld?

I don't know. I think I'd rather see the dull international boxes replaced than these uniquely New Yorkers. You can see international boxes in almost every city, but these wedding cake towers are almost exclusive to New York.

Also, if one of these older designs is going to be expanded and have its design altered so that it's unrecognizable from its original style, then you might as well just demo it and build something new.

By the way, I am not a fan of 425 Park. That one looks like a 400 foot design waiting to be redeveloped. It's such a mediocre building. The only thing it has going for it is the height, and that's not exactly a good thing.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 11:29 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I agree about the wedding-style boxes. Not sure about Elaine though.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 1:12 AM
Show me the blueprints

For the record Pendant Publishing was supposed to be at 600 Madison Ave.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 9:15 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Isn't this the building Elaine worked in on Seinfeld?

I don't know. I think I'd rather see the dull international boxes replaced than these uniquely New Yorkers. You can see international boxes in almost every city, but these wedding cake towers are almost exclusive to New York.

Also, if one of these older designs is going to be expanded and have its design altered so that it's unrecognizable from its original style, then you might as well just demo it and build something new.

By the way, I am not a fan of 425 Park. That one looks like a 400 foot design waiting to be redeveloped. It's such a mediocre building. The only thing it has going for it is the height, and that's not exactly a good thing.
I would also +1 regarding wedding cakes. Large slabs get my first personal axe before cool setbacks.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 9:23 PM

Exciting news. A 1000+ footer with a large, airy base would be great.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 9:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Exciting news. A 1000+ footer with a large, airy base would be great.
Or even a remake of the actual original tower, only taller, with a more modern face and an emphasis on a stellar crow. The design potential for 350 Park was never realized. In theory, it could be a stellar tower, just needs some work on it IMO.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 10:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
For the record Pendant Publishing was supposed to be at 600 Madison Ave.
Here's that one.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/11...rk-city-ny-usa

350 Park for comparison...

https://www.vno.com/office/property/...311665/landing

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 1:11 AM

Imagine if they bought the BlackRock building behind it and made a massive land assembly.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 8:44 PM
New Yorker for life

I think with the size of the footprint, maybe we are pushing 900 ft, maybe just even a supertall, but I wouldn't expect a supertall at this site. I wouldn't be shocked, but wouldn't expect a tower to be as high as that.

Ryan Budhu

Gary Burke

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 9:19 AM

Now this one I wouldn’t mind seeing go.

The loss of 270 Park continues to be a travesty.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Imagine if they bought the BlackRock building behind it and made a massive land assembly.
BlackRock has been on a hiring binge the last few years and must be bursting out of their HQ. They're now the world's largest asset manager.

I could see them anchoring one of these new Midtown East towers.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 5:47 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I'm noticing with 270P two things:

1. New scaffolding and

2. A very slight protrusion on the avenue-facing side.

Are we witnessing the beginning of the end??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals