HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: The trend of the future ?
Melting Pot 18 32.73%
Pan-Enclavism 24 43.64%
Other 13 23.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
No, it's not.

America right now isn't entirely the country that was founded in 1776, it's an evolution.

The American society we live in now is the one that the railroads, radio and moving pictures, compulsory education up to high school, interstate commerce, consumerism and coke and pizza, a trend of increasing social liberalism, the collective experience of WW2, all built. The extent to which our government is legitimate and not an imposter rests on top of that foundation.

The fact that about 25% of Americans reject this and instead identify with a pre-industrial oligarchy run by corrupt thugs that was frequently bankrupt and ran on resource extraction though forced labor and ethnic cleansing says a lot. You know what other country is like that? Brazil. America before the 20th century was just a colder Brazil. And what have Brazilians done for humanity? They didn't put a man on the moon or invent the internet. I'm willing to bet if the Confederacy succeeded North America would be as backwards and poor as South America.

The US is also not special. We are a country in a larger world that we are no longer uniquely superior to, and we have to be competitive and we have to live up to the endlessly escalating standards of what being a "developed nation" means if we want to keep our way of life and exert geopolitical influence of any kind. Smart people need to keep this place straight and disciplined and reject the periodic bouts of bullshit. This sounds unpatriotic because we are conditioned to believe in American exceptionalism, but if you think about it, great civilizations and great leaders didn't slack off.

If it does this it will fall, because it will be a fragmented economic market of smaller states that businesses won't want to mess with. Some states won't all pull their weight either fiscally or in terms of good governnance, do we let them decline and have weird zones of poverty, outmigration, failing infrastructure, illiberal government, etc to infect neighbors? This will probably lead to more inequality between rich states and poor states. It will lead to a race to the bottom in regulations and laws and taxes. It will lead to conflict amongst states that will become increasingly impossible to deal with. It also gives some states the ability to go rogue, how will those states be held accountable? I'm not sure what problem this is meant to solve.

The EU in only a generation has managed to lose one of its main powers(Brexit), it let its most vulnerable countries rot during the recession, it's letting wannabe tyrants like Orban get what they want, its playing games shuffling migrants around causing chaos, etc. It's a highly fragile entity that wouldn't survive if there is another decade like the last. It's a paper tiger, if it wasn't for the US and NATO it would be Putin's bitch.

I don't want the US to be like that. I want Californians and New Yorkers to pay for colleges and highway improvements in Mississippi and I want Mississippians to get with the fucking program on social issues. We'll all be better off that way.
I have no idea what you are talking about. What does railroads and highways have to do with abortion or tax rates?

Your second paragraph is basically you saying "we need smart Democrats to make sure you dumb rednecks don't pull us down" lol

Your third paragraph shows that you don't understand Federalism. You see "conflict" I see competition.

The EU is not the US.

All of this is just your opinion, so yeah.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
The fact that about 25% of Americans reject this and instead identify with a pre-industrial oligarchy run by corrupt thugs that was frequently bankrupt and ran on resource extraction though forced labor and ethnic cleansing says a lot. You know what other country is like that? Brazil. America before the 20th century was just a colder Brazil. And what have Brazilians done for humanity? They didn't put a man on the moon or invent the internet. I'm willing to bet if the Confederacy succeeded North America would be as backwards and poor as South America.

The US is also not special. We are a country in a larger world that we are no longer uniquely superior to, and we have to be competitive and we have to live up to the endlessly escalating standards of what being a "developed nation" means if we want to keep our way of life and exert geopolitical influence of any kind. Smart people need to keep this place straight and disciplined and reject the periodic bouts of bullshit. This sounds unpatriotic because we are conditioned to believe in American exceptionalism, but if you think about it, great civilizations and great leaders didn't slack off.

If it does this it will fall, because it will be a fragmented economic market of smaller states that businesses won't want to mess with. Some states won't all pull their weight either fiscally or in terms of good governnance, do we let them decline and have weird zones of poverty, outmigration, failing infrastructure, illiberal government, etc to infect neighbors? This will probably lead to more inequality between rich states and poor states. It will lead to a race to the bottom in regulations and laws and taxes. It will lead to conflict amongst states that will become increasingly impossible to deal with. It also gives some states the ability to go rogue, how will those states be held accountable? I'm not sure what problem this is meant to solve.

I don't want the US to be like that. I want Californians and New Yorkers to pay for colleges and highway improvements in Mississippi and I want Mississippians to get with the fucking program on social issues. We'll all be better off that way.

We've made this scenario inevitable though by allowing foxes into the hen-house---the GOP global corporate power and the Pentagon, the Democrats the radical and divisive left-wing agitator. The views of Segun and the MAGA movement came about as a reaction to their disastrous social, domestic/foreign policies.

Republicans have begun to recognize their mistakes in blindly accepting the neoconservative agenda in the past (the true origin of Trump, not white supremacy) but the Democrats have no check on these excesses with a mainstream media acting as their propaganda shield. Their racial messaging and policy has been an unmitigated disaster and probably will be the cause of any break in this country.

The last ten years has been nothing but the media dividing people on racial lines. Everything is black vs white. This has served to demoralize the most ardent defenders of the Union, while radicalizing and growing the far-right, far-left, and black/white nationalists. Contrary to popular belief, you rarely saw mainstream Republicans espousing demographic fears until the media began "spiking the football", gleefully reporting the demise of the white race. You also didn't see black nationalism to such a degree until this post-Trayvon race-cult that further alienated blacks from the rest of the population. No kidding Segun lost his connection with the rest of us, they've only been telling him for a decade that the rest of America hates him and the black race!

The fact is these groups have more passion and purpose than you do, with your space men, progress, and ethnic restaurants. They don't care about any of it anymore. The left won't be happy until they get what you can't provide them. Black people don't get anything from open borders and globalization that is seeing them get knocked down to fourth largest racial/ethnic group by the end of the century. Working class whites have been vilified to such a degree by the media/intelligentsia that they see no benefit to this world you speak of, the one they built and died for but now can't even take credit for because that would be "racist". All that is left are people like you talking about economic growth and platitudes in ever shrinking echo chambers in universities and along the Ivory towers of the coastline.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 6:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

A note to all political axe-grinders:

TAKE IT TO THE TOILET!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 5, 2021 at 6:13 PM.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions