HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 11:02 PM
Philly Pholly

I lived on Pittsburgh's Northside (and I sure had fun) and this flooding is not uncommon. For the most part it lies along the river. You'll notice the trains running across the river. Little of the infrastructure stops that I noticed. That one section of highway closed is called the "Bathtub" for good reason.
I saw the river so high when it was frozen gigantic chunks of ice, boats and docks were jamming on the underside of the bridges. It was stupendous.
I found Pittsburgh was one of the most photogenic, positive or not, cities in US.

Liberty Avenue 1936 (I believe all of these buildings are still in tact);
Liberty Avenue Flood 1936 by jackftl, on Flickr

Interesting that if you go down the backside of Mt Washington and the high dollar rooms with views, across the river from Pittsburgh's very dense Downtown is like a scene from Butcher Holler.
Where worlds collide.

Last edited by SEFTA; Apr 18, 2024 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 11:42 PM

What’s this about a pool in UC along the river?

https://www.instagram.com/p/C564___p...N5aXA0YWZid3Fo

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post

Reception has been pretty negative so far.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:24 AM

I don’t get why people are negative about this. Philly is one of the only cities in the world that barely even tries to utilize the riverfront of a river that goes directly through the city. You have to start somewhere.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Reception has been pretty negative so far.
Isn’t that the usual on any new project? All I see I comments sections on new projects are the same tired hate comments. I don’t pay them attention any more bc most those people either a) don’t live in Philly or b) they are the people who need to be empowered to relocate to another city bc they add no value to the city and what it’s becoming. 🤷♂️

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtphilly View Post
I don’t get why people are negative about this. Philly is one of the only cities in the world that barely even tries to utilize the riverfront of a river that goes directly through the city. You have to start somewhere.
Bc people in Philly complain about everything. Bottom line is many of the originals hate change bc they feel the city is evolving into an entity not meant for them anymore. So they resist everything…like Complain their neighborhoods don’t get investment, but when a proposal comes the same people flip their stance then scream gentrification for simple things like street improvements and bike lanes. They just love to resist and complain. That’s why I favor less civic involvement at this point. Most of these people aren’t the future of the city. City hall Needs to focus more on building for what’s next and who is next to live here.

Btw. I’d love to see more public spaces like this. A large beach-like area on the Delaware would be fire.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Isn’t that the usual on any new project? All I see I comments sections on new projects are the same tired hate comments. I don’t pay them attention any more bc most those people either a) don’t live in Philly or b) they are the people who need to be empowered to relocate to another city bc they add no value to the city and what it’s becoming. 🤷♂️
I like the concept of the riverwalk, but I understand people’s concerns especially with the sand and pool. If you live in Philly, it’s not hard to imagine what’s gonna wind up in there lol. Also, the idea of using state and city funds for a beach in a wealthy area of the city while there are mold infested schools in the most impoverished neighborhoods is an interesting move…

Again, I like the concept but I understand why people are calling it a boondoggle.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I like the concept of the riverwalk, but I understand people’s concerns especially with the sand and pool. If you live in Philly, it’s not hard to imagine what’s gonna wind up in there lol. Also, the idea of using state and city funds for a beach in a wealthy area of the city while there are mold infested schools in the most impoverished neighborhoods is an interesting move…

Again, I like the concept but I understand why people are calling it a boondoggle.
Eh. I’m over that argument that Philly can’t have vision or consider new projects until it eradicates poverty and fixes all the bad areas. If Philly came out with a proposal tomorrow to fix all schools, fix all the streets, get rid of crime, etc, I guarantee the comments section of the Inq would be screaming gentrification and complaining.

For this pool, Penn, Drexel, and West Rittenhouse pay more than their fair share of taxes and contribute to a huge chunk of the local economy. If they want a pool and to make UC better connected to the river, go ahead! Their tax money will far and above cover it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Btw. I’d love to see more public spaces like this. A large beach-like area on the Delaware would be fire.
I've been saying this for years. I know it's UC District who's behind this ... but we have so much open dockland along the Delaware River! It could accommodate a much more expansive beach bar and pool, for much less money.

One can dream...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:

It'll be a bath for the homeless.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
I had the reverse thought. A pool is required by law to have a gate to keep kids from drowning. It could be used as an indirect way of controlling who comes in and out of park. In any case, I don't love the pool idea and rather have seen a fountain or a different water feature.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:32 PM

Subaru Park

From the Inky, about the Union's stadium and the need for expansion and transit access.
One thing they bring up is the possibility of building a new stadium, possibly in the stadium complex. But the idea is kind of dismissed, as Comcast and the Phillies want to build a whole new development in what is now the Sea of Parking Lots. But they never bring up the idea of playing at The Linc. MLS has several teams that play in NFL stadiums, never understood why they don't use the Linc instead of letting it sit idle all summer, which is when the bulk of MLS' schedule is.
https://www.inquirer.com/soccer/phil...-20240419.html

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:35 PM
Chris

Quote:

It's hard to tell from the photo, but would that colorful wall blocking 76 be permanent? If so, that is my favorite feature. A permanent plant wall or art wall would provide nicer views from the East and actually a little bit of noise control.

And amen to your recent posts. People in Philly get their panties in a knot over every new project. Even the new tower proposal 1-block from Rittenhouse Square spawned the same tired online comments...

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Apr 19, 2024 at 12:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Eh. I’m over that argument that Philly can’t have vision or consider new projects until it eradicates poverty and fixes all the bad areas. If Philly came out with a proposal tomorrow to fix all schools, fix all the streets, get rid of crime, etc, I guarantee the comments section of the Inq would be screaming gentrification and complaining.
Agree 100%. It doesn't have to be an either-or proposition.

Philly can't continue to be held hostage by its "bitch-about-everything-under-the-sun" residents, or the shitheads in Harrisburg who refuse to fund urban schools properly.

The city is moving forward with or without everyone's bullshit, and that's how it should be.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 1:50 PM

I love the pool/park idea -- I think it's radical/non-Philly thinking. Reality being what it is in this town, I hope they have an ironclad security & trash removal plan in mind, so the park can be enjoyed in peace. When I see the state of Devil's Pool in the Wissahickon, I am astounded at how callous and disgusting Philadelphians can be with the wonderful resources at our fingertips.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:14 PM

Quote:
People keep saying this like there aren't already public pools all over the city?

At the same time, I'd rather this be more park and less pool

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
It's hard to tell from the photo, but would that colorful wall blocking 76 be permanent? If so, that is my favorite feature. A permanent plant wall or art wall would provide nicer views from the East and actually a little bit of noise control.

And amen to your recent posts. People in Philly get their panties in a knot over every new project. Even the new tower proposal 1-block from Rittenhouse Square spawned the same tired online comments...
I love that feature too; camouflaging 676 is key, and if they can do it with art, plants, and soundproofing it’s a win. In general, I’m excited to see creative ideas for bringing the west side of the river to life to better connect UC to CC.

Appreciate the support. I’m definitely over the constant negative trolling to every idea that are accompanied by endless what-aboutism excuses. If those people think there are better ways to spend funds, then I welcome to see their proposals, and if they don’t have viable ones then I’m tuning them out and focusing forward.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:50 PM

Quote:

I don’t think the existence of homelessness should prevent us from thinking about better public spaces that will raise morale in the city.

But let’s see how the Supreme Court rules on if homelessness is a right or not in June. If they say it’s not, then Philly can ban homeless from certain areas due to public safety concerns.

Not saying that to be insensitive to homeless people. The current system is a failure. It’d be a step in the right direction to create zones where homeless can and cannot legally be so that the city can better isolate those people without having to jail them or declare them mentally incompetent and then target services for them in that area, rather than having people scattered throughout the city without adequate controls to help them. Eitherway, tons of ways to navigate this situation within public spaces.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 3:28 PM

For the cost though (60 million) it would be more useful to just build a river walk/promenade that connects from MLK drive to south street bridge / Penn Park. The pool is cool but the Schuylkill River path is perpetually crowded and a parallel path would be great. Just copy Chicago haha no need to reinvent the wheel.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 3:54 PM

Quote:

For this pool, Penn, Drexel, and West Rittenhouse pay more than their fair share of taxes and contribute to a huge chunk of the local economy. If they want a pool and to make UC better connected to the river, go ahead! Their tax money will far and above cover it.
there is no comments section in the inquirer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development