HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 10:43 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Unless I missed something, they didn't explain the 'mixed-use' breakdown--commercial and hotel? Residential?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 11:32 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

This appears to be in the surface parking lot bounded by Francisco Street to the east, Olympic the south, and Cottage Place on the east, immediately behind the Figueroa Hotel pool (and the car wash). I count ~36 stories. It's very unclear as to how serious this project really is, as AXIS/GFA's largest completed project is only 13 stories (in SF). Anyone care to see if any entitlements have been pulled for this lot to see if this is real or just a vision?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 11:35 PM

Oh man what a project I counted 37 stories, it would fill that nagging skyline gap as well. Let's pray it gets approved.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2021, 10:59 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

36 Story Tower Planned For Arts District, At 2143 East Violet Street

Stefany Hedman
LA YIMBY
August 5, 2021

A new mixed-use development, including a 36 story tower, is planned for the Arts District, at 2143 East Violet Street. Canadian-based Onni Group is the developer. The 2.2-acre site will retain a couple of existing buildings while bringing denser commercial and residential space to the area.

Arno Matis Architecture is behind the design, which draws inspiration from the industrial tone of the neighborhood, as well as local graffiti art. The facade pattern mimics stacked palettes, in bold and repetitive geometries. An art walk will be included in the paseo that winds through the separate structures. It will include wall art and sculpture.

The residential tower will be 425 feet tall, at 36 stories, and the attached commercial section will be 131 feet, at eight stories. The Project’s total floor area will be 569,448 square feet. 347 live-work units will be inside. Five percent (about 18 units) will be set aside for extremely low-income households, and 11 percent (about 39) for very low-income households. Some of the units may be sold, in which case 11 percent will still be set aside for low-income families. Units will include a mix of one, two, and three-bedroom layouts.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 12:02 AM

^Very different design for Onni. They have a good track record of getting projects done, but they also have some ambitious projects like Times Square (LA Times building) and that South Park tower with the cool balconies that's name escapes me, that seem to be bogged down. I feel like this project could be more of the latter rather than the former, unfortunately.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 1:08 AM

Nice article from LA Yimby, but it’s old news. They have a habit of publishing articles with old info. Nothing wrong with that but I prefer how Urbanize publishes the latest info and not random stuff.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 2:22 AM

That would be so cool when the Arts District starts throwing up more highrises.
Now along with Chinatown, and Civic Center expansion. Good times

What's the latest on the Mateo project? It was a hole in the ground last I heard. It's a 35 story high rise.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2021, 6:00 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Nice article from LA Yimby, but it’s old news. They have a habit of publishing articles with old info. Nothing wrong with that but I prefer how Urbanize publishes the latest info and not random stuff.
I just moved back here, so the proposals are all new to me--there is so much that really is going on that it's hard to figure out.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2021, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^Very different design for Onni. They have a good track record of getting projects done, but they also have some ambitious projects like Times Square (LA Times building) and that South Park tower with the cool balconies that's name escapes me, that seem to be bogged down. I feel like this project could be more of the latter rather than the former, unfortunately.
Agreed. Renderings look much better than the real thing. They are very cheap and bland looking in person. Shame!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I just moved back here, so the proposals are all new to me--there is so much that really is going on that it's hard to figure out.
No worries. I didn't mean that you did anything wrong at all. From what I've seen, LA Yimby randomly publishes content that was known months ago without clarifying that it's old info. No real way for anyone to know.

It could be some sort of turf thing since Urbanize started branching out to other cities and LA Yimby is playing catch up.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 8:36 PM

Word on the streets is that Onni will be breaking ground for its 1000 hill street project next month.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 9:18 PM

^Good news! This is definitely one of the best designs we've seen from Onni, and should help continue the momentum for construction in South Park.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 10:16 PM

Where did you hear that?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 10:21 PM
DENNAB

Excellent news (if true). Another 60 story building for LA.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 10:40 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

From a skyline expansion perspective this is potentially great news. From an aesthtetic one, I'm much more apprehensive. Based on the quality of the glass - and particularly the spandrel glass - on Hope + Flower and the renderings of this new tower, I'm particularly worried that this will be VE'd to shit on the outside, but amazing on the inside, just like Hope + Flower. Not even it's mother loves the glass on Hope + Flower.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 10:40 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Does anyone have more details on 1000 Hill Street, like the proposed height?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
just like Hope + Flower. Not even it's mother loves the glass on Hope + Flower.
Ouch, he's dead Jim. But everyone agrees, the rendering on Hope + Flower made the glass look amazing and it turned out to be Miami Vice glass.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
Word on the streets is that Onni will be breaking ground for its 1000 hill street project next month.

I heard the same from a leasing agent at another Onni property

This building would rise to 760 feet making it (for now) the tallest residential building in Los Angeles.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Excellent news (if true). Another 60 story building for LA.
Amazing news

Old Posted Aug 15, 2021, 3:01 PM

How's that front page update coming?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations