HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 3:30 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
We walked from Old City to 11th yesterday at around 6pm. It was easily the busiest I've seen it in years. Foot traffic and activity are completely back and then some. Of course, we learned that about 30 minutes after we passed through, there was a shooting on 8TH AND MARKET and they were looking for 3 perps who apparently got away (like every other criminal with a gun). Then a robbery on 3rd and Market @ 7:30 followed by an assault by a group of teens (2nd and Market)to round out the trip.

It is such a shame. You feel like you're literally dodging bullets out there at the moment. For last night and most of the violent crime in Old City lately, it's the same description - black masks, black hoodies black pants. It's the new uniform for criminals. At what point are we allowed to consider a group that fits that description as probable cause? (skirting, unsuccessfully, a very touchy subject). The city is under a terroist attack by groups of teens with black masks and black clothes. We can't do anything about that?

I know I sound like a pearl clutcher, but I am getting close to fearing trips outside in DAYLIGHT. It's gotten so bad.
Nope you arent wrong at all. In fact its crazy you mention the fact of the all black
Clothing & ski masks, because I also wear all black clothing even in the summer, and now I will have to watch what I wear so I will not be mistaken as a youngster that wants to cause some trouble.

And as we spoke about crowds of teens acting up in center city. About a hour or so ago there was a crowd of 200 teens in CC, doing it again.

I just really hope the new mayor can bring some change & a better Philadelphia for everyone we are really in a bad spot right now for the city & its not a good look at all.

If the city doesn’t figure out how to get the city under control its gonna be a very ruthless summer.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 3:41 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
When I left work yesterday I saw quite a few groups of teens out and about on Market Street but I saw no bike cops on patrol which seemed odd considering its spring break and there is no school. I dont understand the deployment patterns and there is no consistent presence in busy areas as far as I can tell.

To some degree the citizens have to be prepared to handle some of this and defend themselves. It seems to be some folks in this city (especially if they live in the supposedly nicer areas) are still in denial and do not observe their surroundings and do not have any means to protect themselves. Its more or less irresponsible for anyone to be out and about downtown and not be vigilant. And everyone walking around should have mace or pepper spray on them at the bare minimum. People cannot allow themselves to be attacked by teens and there be no consequences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
Stop and frisk wont help with the types of issues outlined in his post- i.e. roving teens causing trouble downtown or elsewhere. For that you need patrols and manpower. When there were numerous incidents of teens out of control when Nutter was mayor they talked about the parents being held accountable if their kids were arrested in one of the incidents. There may have been a fine or something associated with it- whatever it was changed behaviors- apparently no parents wanted to face financial consequences for their wild teens.
Its insane. The PPD must be lacking the manpower, because what the hell is going on? At least this year ive seen more police presence around the whole city, but are they against walking & riding bikes? We need police presence & we need the city to work together to keep it in order.

I also do think we need stop & frisk back. Thats what prevents people from carrying guns illegally, & even prevents people from acting a fool in the first place.

I do agree with you though, you need some type of protection out here no matter where you are, pepper spray or something people!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Its insane. The PPD must be lacking the manpower, because what the hell is going on? At least this year ive seen more police presence around the whole city, but are they against walking & riding bikes? We need police presence & we need the city to work together to keep it in order.

I also do think we need stop & frisk back. Thats what prevents people from carrying guns illegally, & even prevents people from acting a fool in the first place.

I do agree with you though, you need some type of protection out here no matter where you are, pepper spray or something people!
I talked with a cop a few days ago. There’s a huge recruiting crisis that is being downplayed. A lot of them have left or are leaving. He said there were only 4 cops on patrol for all of CC this past weekend lol

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 1:13 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Nope you arent wrong at all. In fact its crazy you mention the fact of the all black
Clothing & ski masks, because I also wear all black clothing even in the summer, and now I will have to watch what I wear so I will not be mistaken as a youngster that wants to cause some trouble.

And as we spoke about crowds of teens acting up in center city. About a hour or so ago there was a crowd of 200 teens in CC, doing it again.

I just really hope the new mayor can bring some change & a better Philadelphia for everyone we are really in a bad spot right now for the city & its not a good look at all.

If the city doesn’t figure out how to get the city under control its gonna be a very ruthless summer.
Yea, not a good look... status quo needs to change.

Several hundred juveniles cause chaos in Center City
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...e-say/3540879/

Several hundred juveniles caused chaos in Center City around the area of the Fashion District mall Wednesday night, with some reportedly throwing rocks at police before they were finally dispersed, police said.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Apr 6, 2023 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 2:25 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I talked with a cop a few days ago. There’s a huge recruiting crisis that is being downplayed. A lot of them have left or are leaving. He said there were only 4 cops on patrol for all of CC this past weekend lol
I do not want to derail this thread but I can speak to this if anyone is interested. The short version is yes, there is a major recruiting/retention crisis across the country with Philly being one of the hardest hit for a few reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Yea, not a good look... status quo needs to change.

Several hundred juveniles cause chaos in Center City
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...e-say/3540879/

Several hundred juveniles caused chaos in Center City around the area of the Fashion District mall Wednesday night, with some reportedly throwing rocks at police before they were finally dispersed, police said.
There were injuries from this too. This is an awful look (again) and can't be tolerated.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
I do not want to derail this thread but I can speak to this if anyone is interested. The short version is yes, there is a major recruiting/retention crisis across the country with Philly being one of the hardest hit for a few reasons.

There were injuries from this too. This is an awful look (again) and can't be tolerated.
And probably not a single arrest.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 3:40 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
And probably not a single arrest.
There were arrests. EDIT: …or at least citations issued. And no rocks were thrown after all.

More here: 4 teenagers are cited in the Fashion District mall incident involving several hundred youth | Inquirer.com
Excerpt:
Four teenagers were issued citations as a result of the Wednesday night incident involving several hundred youths at the Fashion District mall in Center City, police said Thursday.

A police officer suffered an ankle injury chasing after a suspect, police said, but no other injuries or property damage was reported. Contrary to earlier reports, no rocks were thrown at officers, police said.

A 13-year-old boy was cited for carrying what turned out to be an airsoft gun, and three other teenagers were cited for disorderly conduct.

Philadelphia police and Center City District officers had dispersed small groups of young people earlier in the evening, said police spokesperson Cpl. Jasmine Reilly, but as time went on, the crowds swelled.

Last edited by Jayfar; Apr 6, 2023 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 3:41 PM

Who would want to be a cop in this environment? People want to be safe but not over-policed and that's literally an impossible needle to thread.

Cities are trying to recruit anyone but that's problematic, too. I understand the most recent shooting (Memphis?) was tied to rookie officers who were recruited under lowered standards. It's a vicious cycle.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 4:03 PM

Back to buildings now…

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 1:59 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Value engineering. All the cool kids are doing it.
Speaking of value engineering... I guess the only cool feature of this project is now gone... (curved windows).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqqn9FKJHHe/?hl=en

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Speaking of value engineering... I guess the only cool feature of this project is now gone... (curved windows).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqqn9FKJHHe/?hl=en
I’m not sure yet. They possibly might add in the oblong cuts later.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 2:54 AM

And if they were VE'ing this, why would the first image in the IG post be the rendering with the curved windows?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I’m not sure yet. They possibly might add in the oblong cuts later.
Yeah, rough openings in framing for rounded windows usually do not reflect the ultimate shape of the windows. The rounded framing and sheathing will typically be "backfilled" around the rounded edges of the windows once they're installed. So there's still a chance here that the rounded windows will be used.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 1:17 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Yeah, rough openings in framing for rounded windows usually do not reflect the ultimate shape of the windows. The rounded framing and sheathing will typically be "backfilled" around the rounded edges of the windows once they're installed. So there's still a chance here that the rounded windows will be used.
Hopefully that is the case. Gritbuilt posts a lot of updates on their projects, will be easy to follow the final product.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 6:11 PM
Chris

Temple University acquires key North Broad Street property for future expansion

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

The corner property at 2034 N. Broad St., situated along the northern boundary of Temple's campus, was purchased by the university for $4.3 million, according to public records. The site is currently home to a 7-Eleven store.

The transaction is a long-term play for Temple, as the 7-Eleven has an active lease that expires in 2024 with three five-year options to extend.

The university is currently about four months into formulating a new campus master plan that will likely include development on the recently acquired parcel...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 7:27 PM

Hopefully that master plan has something planned for Broad and Norris. Remember when Temple destroyed 20+ handsome rowhomes for a stadium that never came...

I feel like the best solution to Temple's problems would be getting more kids to live on campus east of Broad and closing 13th and 12th, Norris to Montgomery as university vehicles / pedestrian only. I'm sure that would not go over well with the community though.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 12:17 PM

Temple made a series of missteps regarding its sports. When they cut all those smaller sports teams, they promised the reallocated funds would be used to make other teams more competitive. Years after, few to no results are to be seen. Basketball and football are n the gutter with Temples conference falling apart from conference realignments.

It would have been great to see a thriving football program with on campus stadium that had a dorm and classes built in. But the Administration and Board blew their chances.

It’ll be interesting to see who Temple selects as their next President. Personally, I’d love to see Mayor Nutter seriously considered.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 5:16 PM
Chris

Apartments, Grocery Store Moving Forward in Mantua After Long Journey

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...r-long-journey

Old Posted Apr 8, 2023, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Apartments, Grocery Store Moving Forward in Mantua After Long Journey

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...r-long-journey
Ugly crap. Needs more brick.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
I feel like the best solution to Temple's problems would be getting more kids to live on campus east of Broad and closing 13th and 12th, Norris to Montgomery as university vehicles / pedestrian only. I'm sure that would not go over well with the community though.
I agree with this. There's still plenty of fallow space between Temple and South/West Kensington. Just build a residential campus to close the gap between the two tbh.

I've always thought it odd that students tended to live more west of campus than east. East feels a lot safer to me, though that student from Prospect Park was killed east of Broad from what I remember.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development