HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 3:54 AM

Cool CHICAGO | 1200 W Fulton | 600 - 700 FT | ~50 FLOORS

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ces-apartments

This would be Fulton Market's biggest project yet

A massive, $600 million development calls for office and lab space, apartments, a hotel and a big fitness center in the red-hot Fulton Market District.

January 12, 2022 01:07 PM UPDATED 18 MINUTES AGO
ALBY GALLUN

Quote:
A Chicago developer is getting ready to unveil plans for a $600 million mixed-use project in the Fulton Market District, the biggest real estate development to date in the fast-growing neighborhood.

Fulton Street Cos. wants to build office and lab space, apartments, a hotel and a big fitness center on a site at 1200 W. Fulton St., said Alex Najem, the firm’s founder and CEO. The 1.5-million-square-foot project underscores Najem’s unbridled exuberance for Fulton Market, a neighborhood that shook off the pandemic last year and is booming once again, with developers starting new apartment towers and businesses gobbling up office space. Fulton Street itself is getting ready to break ground on a 34-story apartment tower across the street and is close to lining up an anchor tenant for a 530,000-square-foot office building it plans about five blocks east, Najem said.

Quote:
Najem has cleared one big hurdle: buying the development site. A Fulton Street venture recently paid $42 million for the 2-acre property at the northwest corner of Fulton Street and Racine Avenue, he said. Next up: Fulton Street plans to present its proposal for the site next month to the Chicago Department of Planning & Development’s Committee on Design, he said.
Quote:
But he’s is teaming up on the project with some well-established, deep-pocketed partners: Chris Merrill, the co-founder and CEO of Chicago-based real estate investment firm Harrison Street Real Estate Capital; and Shanna Khan, the daughter of Shahid Kahn, the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars and Flex-N-Gate, a big auto supplier based in Urbana.
Quote:
The development will include 500 apartments and 200 hotel rooms in a roughly 50-story tower; a 25-story, 500,000-square-foot office building; and a 10-story, 200,000-square-foot building catering to life sciences companies, Najem said. The fitness center would encompass 200,000 square feet.
Quote:
“We feel comfortable that the community as well as the city is amenable to height as long as there is significant green space on the ground level,” he said.
Chicago-based Hartshorne Plunkard Architecture is designing the project, with Morris Adjmi Architects of New York playing a consulting role, Najem said.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 13, 2022 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 7:20 PM

Cool CHICAGO | 1200 W Fulton | 600 FT | 50 FLOORS

ASKFJDHKS, 600 FOOTER PROPOSED FOR FULTON MARKET!

This would be Fulton Market's biggest project yet

Quote:
Fulton Street Cos. wants to build office and lab space, apartments, a hotel and a big fitness center on a site at 1200 W. Fulton St., said Alex Najem, the firm’s founder and CEO.
The development will include 500 apartments and 200 hotel rooms in a roughly 50-story tower; a 25-story, 500,000-square-foot office building; and a 10-story, 200,000-square-foot building catering to life sciences companies, Najem said. The fitness center would encompass 200,000 square feet. Najem declined to disclose the tenant’s name, saying only that “it’s a national group that’s expanding.”

It’s unclear whether Fulton Market residents or city officials will go for a 50-story tower, which would be taller than any building completed or under construction in the neighborhood. At about 600 feet, it would be more than 100 feet higher than an apartment high-rise that Related Midwest is constructing at 900 W. Randolph St. Related Midwest had originally planned a 51-story, 570-foot tower on the site, but shrunk it to 43 stories after neighborhood groups criticized it as too tall.

Najem thinks neighbors will support Fulton Street’s plan because the project will include a lot of green space open to the public.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ces-apartments

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 7:28 PM

build it!!!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 12, 2022 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 7:42 PM

I think this location will allow for it to build it at its full height. I looked up the address and it's closer to Odgen and further away from the west loop core where there are probably nimbys.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 12, 2022 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
I think this location will allow for it to build it at its full height. I looked up the address and it's closer to Odgen and further away from the west loop core where there are probably nimbys.
There are a few of us who live near-ish by on Hubbard and Kinzie, as well as a May. Its just far enough away for people to be apathetic potentially, especially have the L the NIMBYs took on 400 n Elizabeth. Burnett likes small height chops to show he listens, and I could see that happen here. I'm interested to hear how much parking it'd have now that it would qualify for TOD. If its zero, build it tomorrow.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 8:20 PM

^ Fulton St was recently designated a Pedestrian Street, so TOD boundaries should now be extended to this project

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 8:56 PM

Jesus.....

I was already blown away by what's happening in the West Loop, and am excited to watch 900 West Randolph rise, but this is something else....

If this were to actually break ground, between something like that, Lincoln Yards, and other projects south of the Loop would completely begin redefining what the traditional boundaries of the skyline are.

The big question is of course financing and NIMBYism.....

But, this immediate neighborhood has less residents compared to where 900 Randolph is.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

A 600 footer all the way out by Racine?

That sure would be something!

But as someone else said, it could just be a ploy to allow Burnett to extract a height reduction as a bone-throw to the head-in-their-ass west loop NIMBYs.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:13 PM
BANNED

Oh wow this is really going to spread the skyline west. How much longer till the west loop gets a 700 footer?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

But as someone else said, it could just be a ploy to allow Burnett to extract a height reduction as a bone-throw to the head-in-their-ass west loop NIMBYs.
It's a possibility for sure. But I assumed the same thing was taking place when Fulton Street proposed the project across the street (1201 W. Fulton) and that tower actually grew from 381 to 414 feet. Maybe they're feeling lucky?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Oh wow this is really going to spread the skyline west. How much longer till the west loop gets a 700 footer?
You're thinking too small.... Let's go for a supertall! Go big or go home I say. If the neighborhood is already on fire, might as well take advantage of it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:57 PM

Oh wow! This is pretty awesome!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 11:04 PM

Current site conditions.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 1:47 AM
1st Ward

Wow, this came out of left field! Build it!

Apparently nothing of note being lost in demolition for this project, which is a plus.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Wow, this came out of left field! Build it!

Apparently nothing of note being lost in demolition for this project, which is a plus.
Not really.

Quoting myself from Dec 17, 2021 in the Boom Rundown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Things to keep an eye out for in early 2022…

We should be hearing and seeing something in the near future regarding Bridgford Foods. I don’t have much info other than things have been redesigned and it’ll be taller…. It won’t be as tall as 900 W. Randolph, but it’ll be taller than the previous 17-story iteration.

I’ve heard from a second person that we should see something decent for Racine & Fulton (roughly). I’ve not seen anything, but I’ve heard it could be about 500’.
That’s all I have at the moment.

Thank goodness I was wrong on the height.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:51 AM

Excited to see renderings. Till then here it is in my model.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:56 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post

What city is this?

Peoria finally building itself a real deal skyline?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:03 AM
The City

I like this proposal

I really like that A frame roofish building thing. Looks like something they would build in Denmark or one of those Nordic cities

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
What city is this?

Peoria finally building itself a real deal skyline?
Lol... It's amazing what's being built and proposed in this area in such a short amount of time.

The skyline just in FM will be denser and taller than most midwest cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Excited to see renderings. Till then here it is in my model.

The Crain's article said the project would be going before the Committee On Design next month, so we should see renderings soon.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:32 AM
BANNED

Looking more and more like Toronto

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals