HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
including having the capital district of the "the planet's dominant country" named after him despite never setting foot on the mainland of the continent he "discovered".
Video Link
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Including having the capital district of the "the planet's dominant country" named after him despite never setting foot on the mainland of the continent he "discovered".
Amerigo Vespucci didn't voyage to North America, either.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Amerigo Vespucci didn't voyage to North America, either.
But he was aware that the Americas were not Asia and were instead a previously unknown landmass. He also did go to South America.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Sure, just from the perspective of people in North America (namely Canada and the US), the locations of Great Bear and Slave lakes and most of the Hudson is considered incredibly remote. I would venture that 90+% of Canadians have never been to Great Bear Lake.
This site claims that 1.8 million out-of-state visitors visited Alaska in 2016:
https://www.travelagentcentral.com/d...ed-alaska-2016

The article claims that 55% of "out-of-state" visitors reached Alaska on cruise ships, meaning roughly one million people took an Alaskan cruise in 2016. That would mean three cruise ships, each with 1,000 passengers, cruised to Alaska every single day. IDK, seems like a lot.

You can't cruise to the Yukon or Northwest Territory, which partly explains the lack of visitors.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 10:45 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Oh yeah, there's definitely awareness of Hudson Bay, especially among Canadians. But still, not too many people are actual going up there or even really know anything about it beyond its historical/exploration context.
I guess my point is that even though the vast majority of Canadians will never lay eyes on Hudson Bay, it still forms a relevant (but still abstract) part of the national consciousness.

In the States, people might be aware of Hudson Bay, but it doubt people consider it to be relevant.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 10:50 PM

I mean, Hudson's Bay Company is one of the most iconic Canadian companies. It's part of the national narrative, I think. Of course it's abstract and most Canadians aren't visiting the polar tundra.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 12:37 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

being a geography phreak ive mapped out driving to hudsons bay before - difficult to reach its shore.

i've driven to Red Lake, Ontario, maybe a bit further but thats as far north as I’ve driven (I think). Ive driven up into BC too and havent compared latitudes but I didnt drive to BC from my house.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 12:57 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
being a geography phreak ive mapped out driving to hudsons bay before - difficult to reach its shore.

i've driven to Red Lake, Ontario, maybe a bit further but thats as far north as I’ve driven (I think). Ive driven up into BC too and havent compared latitudes but I didnt drive to BC from my house.
Some of our provinces are ginormous. Red Lake to Hudson Bay if you could drive there would be a similar distance as Saint Louis to New Orleans.

Montreal is about the same distance from the northern tip of Québec as it from the Florida-Georgia border.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal is about the same distance from the northern tip of Québec as it from the Florida-Georgia border.
One of my uncles unexpectedly passed while I was in Florida one year. The drive to his funeral (Gaspé), about one third of the (~30 hour) drive from Florida was within Quebec.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 8:51 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ that pretty much what happens when anyone in ohio from north of the turnpike by accident ventures to cincinnati.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ that pretty much what happens when anyone in ohio from north of the turnpike by accident ventures to cincinnati.
No that's what happens if they visit Portsmouth or Ironton.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
No that's what happens if they visit Portsmouth or Ironton.
I've been through both... they both seemed pretty nice

Old Posted Apr 14, 2023, 8:12 PM

Quote:
I've been through both... they both seemed pretty nice
Portsmouth....nice?! Maybe there's some decent urban form, but it's pretty run down and depressed. I worked on a public health project years ago, and Portsmouth is where I learned about the phenomenon of 'Mountain Dew Mouth'. It's when people have their teeth rotted out due to meth and Mt. Dew consumption. Apparently meth makes people crave Mt. Dew, and it creates a terrible cycle for oral health. The public health officials there said it was a huge problem in the Portsmouth area. That's my lasting memory of Portsmouth. That, and the people there talk like they're deep in the hollers of West Virginia. It's a very strange part of Ohio.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 9:54 PM

Came across this interesting comparison. If Chicagoland were part of Wisconsin you'd have something resembling an "Ontario." Both would contain:

- A Great Lakes global city (Chicago/Toronto)
- Another rust belt city on the same lake as the biggest city (Milwaukee/Hamilton)
- Largest non-Great Lakes city is highly educated and public sector-dominated (Madison/Ottawa)
- Rural areas shift from corn and dairy to cottage country to forestry and mining

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 11:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ and Green Bay = Thunder Bay?

although by UA, Green Bay is actuallty closer to Windsor's size.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 1:11 AM

Door Peninsula = Bruce Peninsula?

https://doorcountypulse.com/tale-of-two-peninsulas-2/

And Owen Sound a mini-Green Bay?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 12:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post

And Owen Sound a mini-Green Bay?
With emphasis on the "mini".

Not that green bay is some huge bustling major metropolis or anything, but it does have an urban area population of nearly 250K.

Owen Sound's urban population is only 21K according to Wikipedia. In a Wisconsin frame of reference, that'd be much more like Manitowoc than Green Bay.

As an aside, I love that there is a place on the great lakes with "Sound" in the name. I normally only associate them with the ocean, and I can't think of any place on the US side of the lakes with "sound" in the name.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 12:44 PM

Owen Sound is a small, economically depressed town which hasn't grown in decades despite being in basically one of the fastest growing provinces / states on the continent - making it relatively unique in Southern Ontario. It also has an absolutely awful climate - think Buffalo like snow squalls but with -20 degree weather all winter so it never melts and just keeps accumulating. I have some extended family up there and it seems like I'm fighting a blizzard literally every time I drive up there.

Green Bay isn't really comparable, maybe Traverse City or something, but even then Traverse City is far more tourism focused.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 5:47 PM

Meanwhile, Collingwood - an hour's drive east of Owen Sound along Highway 26 - is part of a wealthy vacation area and in the Toronto orbit.

Owen Sound has stayed constant in population over the last 40 years, while Collingwood's population has doubled (from 12,000 to 25,000).

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ and Green Bay = Thunder Bay?

although by UA, Green Bay is actuallty closer to Windsor's size.
Windsor UA (307K) Green Bay UA (224K) Thunder Bay UA (95K)

I’m actually surprised that GB is that large, I thought it was a fair amount smaller.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions