HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 1:13 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
If they could add some retail, it would be ideal, but the design is interesting and unique. Hopefully no value engineering at the very end
That’s why I don’t get overly excited about a project. First it has to be approved (a few years), then we have to wait for it to begin construction (another few years), then it has to be built (another few years), and then there’s the question of if the finished product will look anything like the renderings. And that’s assuming the design didn’t undergo any changes prior.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 4:48 PM

I wonder what's going on with the cambria hotel proj on Spring St across from the Citizen M hotel?

https://youtu.be/GAK2yTZNuCQ?t=100

Regardless, I like seeing Spring St today vs yrs ago when much of it was abandoned. Areas like that hurt dtla's reputation. But I recall workers of movie companies back then saying that dt was easier to work in because almost no one was around & most properties didn't have nimbys in them to complain about filming activity.

Spring St is also interesting because it's lined with trees, which isn't the case with lots of streets in cities like Paris, London, NYC. But a lack of greenery in certain major urban areas in europe somehow doesn't seem as noticeable because the architecture is so classic & the sidewalks have a lot of activity. So it's case of both giveth & taketh away.

As for the bonaventure hotel....or retail, commercial areas like that....I wonder if property owners can convert their vacant store space into residential or lease it out to creative types at a really low rate? Unless zoning or insurance rates wouldn't allow that, I'd think that would be better than a bldg owner creating the look of a ghost town.

https://youtu.be/jpaQuSGikf0?t=20

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 2:14 AM

If it were up to me, data centers would be banned downtown, even nice looking ones like this. I'd rather have a vacant lot that could be developed into active uses in the future. With this getting built, active use is not in the cards at this lot for many decades.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
If it were up to me, data centers would be banned downtown, even nice looking ones like this. I'd rather have a vacant lot that could be developed into active uses in the future. With this getting built, active use is not in the cards at this lot for many decades.
It's a good thing you're not in control then

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 3:06 AM

So, 8th and Fig’s parapet is finally lit up.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
So, 8th and Fig’s parapet is finally lit up.
Really??? I didn’t notice it last night. I’ll be on the lookout.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 8:14 PM

Aren’t there data centers and utility skyscrapers even in Manhattan?

The prominent ones off the top of my head are the Verizon building literally next to the Brooklyn Bridge, and the old AT&T Long building (the brown one with no windows).

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 8:55 PM

Downtown Chicago too.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 9:15 PM

Some people complain and don’t realize how much ignorance they show of themselves…I mean that in general sense.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 2:43 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like 1201 S. Grand Ave is dead?

https://planning.lacity.org/pdiscase...9f1ff43502/pdd

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like 1201 S. Grand Ave is dead?

https://planning.lacity.org/pdiscase...9f1ff43502/pdd
This was going to be developed by City Century (a Chinese company) who I believe is also behind Olympia (which, God knows if that's ever happening).

Anyway, I think most Chinese projects have gotten the kibosh (for a host of reasons).

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 7:05 PM

That's a shame, it was a nice design and would finish up that street crossing with some nice sidewalk details.

Still lots of "pending" things in the vicinity though, with the newer proposed mid-rise just east, plus high-er rise hotel + apartments along 11th (near Aven and then further out towards Broadway)

The now mid-rise hotel project at 1130 S Hope seems like it's slowly moving along, with permits continually being processed with most recent updates on LADBS showing March. Between Regional Connector and perhaps a change in lending environment over the next few years maybe we'll see some more groundbreaking... who knows.

The small projects (either hotel or apartments) along the south side of Pico between Flower & Hope have been slowly having work done. Nothing terribly exciting but glad they aren't totally dead sites. As far as the street-level goes, there's been a marked improvement in storefronts getting leased out, but still a long way to go.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 5:25 PM

Quote:

Moxy LA

Downtown Los Angeles has undergone a huge transformation over the past two-and-a-bit decades and that’s set to continue as the wider city gets ready for the 2028 Summer Olympics. Efforts for change were instigated in the early 2000s, but before that, the LA central business district was a place where people ensconced in office towers by day and avoided at night. Residential development and reclamation of once languishing historic buildings have created new 24-hour life – though visitors should not be misled into believing Downtown LA is without danger entirely; no-go zones remain throughout. (If in doubt, Google or ask concierge.)

The latest game-changer in the area is a dual-branded hotel development right across the road from the home of the LA Lakers and venue for the Los Angeles concerts of Madonna’s Celebration Tour later this year, Crypto.com Arena (formerly the Staples Center).

Moxy Downtown Los Angeles and AC Hotel Downtown Los Angeles inhabit a new 37-storey tower on the corner of South Figueroa and Pico streets designed by architecture firm Gensler. The bottom eight floors are like a podium on which two towers in an L-configuration sit and their exterior is covered by a 1400-square-metre electronic billboard, the biggest on the US West Coast.

But it’s the property’s Level 8, spanning both hotels, that’s likely to attract locals and other non-hotel guests. Developed by Mark and Jonnie Houston of Houston Hospitality, known for their hugely popular restaurants and bars across LA, the floor, with its own dedicated entrance, is home to eight distinct dining, drinking, and entertainment venues.

The 380-key Moxy features a playful aesthetic with small but smart rooms and plenty of intriguing public areas. The more business-minded AC Hotel, with its 347 guest rooms, offers “an elevated hotel experience at an accessible rate” with the Madrid-born brand’s signature AC lounge and AC kitchen joined by a 34th floor tapas bar with views of the Hollywood Hills.

“We always think hard about the sociology and strategy around design, how it affects people and how it makes them feel connected to something,” says Glenn Pushelberg, co-founder of Yabu Pushelberg along with George Yabu. “Moxy and AC are different brands, but both appeal to travellers who don’t want to stay in a conventional hotel… so the design can’t be generic.”

Moxy and AC’s own eateries and bars add to a total of 12 under the one roof and when Level 8 opens (very soon) it will include cocktail lounge Mr. Wanderlust, South American fire grill Que Barbaro, and French-Japanese teppanyaki diner Maison Kasai, as well as Sinners y Santos, a cathedral-inspired nightclub with a hidden speakeasy entrance

Moxy LA

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 5:31 AM

I was in LA for the weekend and got a glimpse of 520 S. Mateo's construction. It is looking great and I hope to return later this summer to see more LA construction!

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 2:34 PM

Quote:

thedelphihotel.com

https://www.thedelphihotel.com

May 31, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Crestline Hotels & Resorts, LLC (“Crestline”) expands its management portfolio of luxury boutique hotels with the addition of The Delphi in downtown Los Angeles, California (formerly The Standard Hotel) and the Waldorf Towers in Miami Beach, Florida. Both hotels have been completely reimagined to respect their history and glamor while creating contemporary, stylish, eclectic, and innovative ways to welcome guests.

The 207-guestroom Delphi Hotel is located near the LA Convention Center at 550 S. Flower Street in Downtown Los Angeles. It includes 10,000 square feet of event space and will be introducing five new restaurant and bar concepts over the next 12 months including fully renovating and reimagining the iconic rooftop pool and lounge. The 12-story marble clad building opened in 1955 as the headquarters for Standard Oil. Today it is recognized for its Art Deco architecture and is considered a City of Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument.

Redesigned by the creative team at Ellis Adams Group, The Delphi embodies the essence of LA, striving to serve as an epicenter of the arts, and as a player in the continuous revitalization of downtown. The interiors are a blend of Modern and Deco, with appointments of rich brass and velvet, and enveloped in greenery. Touches of the historic features remain dotted throughout the hotel for guest exploration.

The hotel’s lobby sets the tone for the guest experience, with The Delphi Lounge inviting guests to relax and enjoy the inviting décor and layered textures. Denae’s Diner, a retro all-day diner concept with modern appeal, will debut this summer featuring vibrant colors, a curated menu, and outdoor dining. Each of the guest rooms, suites, and two penthouses are oversized, understated, and packed with details and little extras.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 3:24 PM

Video Link

Quote:
In Downtown Los Angeles' recovery from the pandemic, the office core is being outpaced by DTLA's hospitality and residential sectors, which are both surpassing pre-pandemic metrics.

In the first quarter of 2023, downtown’s residential and hospitality markets have become the primary drivers of economic growth in the city, according to data from the Downtown Center BID (DCBID) 2023 Q1 Market Report. Across the residential, hospitality and retail sectors, average occupancy rates have climbed, with residential numbers surpassing those in the last quarter of 2019.

Downtown L.A.'s office market continues to fall behind pre-pandemic numbers. Office vacancy was up to 23% in Q1, an 11% increase year-over-year, according to the DCBID report. Some bright spots remain for the downtown office market with significant lease signings in Q1. Media company Conde Nast signed a 25,000-square-foot lease to relocate its offices to Row DTLA in the Arts District, and Silverstein Properties signed a 19,000-square-foot deal at U.S. Bank Tower for McKinsey and Co., a relocation from Century City.

While office occupancy has struggled, occupancy across Downtown L.A.'s hospitality market has grown nearly 9% year-over-year, the DCBID report found — boasting a 67% occupancy rate that neared pre-pandemic highs. The average daily revenue hit $225, 4% higher than in the fourth quarter of 2019.

The residential market downtown is operating above pre-pandemic levels, DCBID found, nearing record highs for both occupancy and lease rates. Despite apartment occupancy seeing a 1.4% decrease and 1.5% decrease in average rent for apartments year-over-year in Q1, DTLA’s residential market saw an 8.4% higher occupancy rate than in Q4 2019 and saw rents average 5.3% higher than Q4 2019 at $3.39 per square foot.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 6:14 PM
Ascension

Someone said how they would ban data centers downtown. Probably not knowing one of most important data centers on earth is right in the middle of DTLA. I knew that One Wilshire had a level of importance but had no idea how vital it is.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 7:00 PM

^ That vid is so fascinating to me that my tendency to want to fast forward through Youtube accounts didn't occur.

I've said I don't like doing posts that are brief comments or short opinions, but the story of one wilshire blows my mind. It's an interesting piece of the history of...& what's going on in....dtla.

By contrast, I've seen certain ssp users complain about the posting of vids or what I consider articles relevant to dt. As though everything inserted here should instead follow a very, very narrow theme. "One wilshire isn't about new devlpt...yadda, yadda". Then the thread becomes like an episode of the Jerry Springer show.

Maybe some forumers don't appreciate all the details of dtla, but I do. So the vid you've posted is very interesting to me.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Someone said how they would ban data centers downtown. Probably not knowing one of most important data centers on earth is right in the middle of DTLA. I knew that One Wilshire had a level of importance but had no idea how vital it is.

Video Link
Great vid!!! I know two people who work there…just like LADWP, they make great salaries. Though I know LADWP is on another level, especially being the highest paid in their industry. I do love companies that pay their employees extremely well. It’s good for the economy.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:54 AM
L O S A N G E L E S

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
This was going to be developed by City Century
(a Chinese company) who I believe is also behind Olympia.
Yeah, Olympia's not happening.
I don't know about 1201 S. Grand but Olympia is not like the Oceanwide
project, because that project is 90 something percent complete?
If L.A. was a competitor and had something to say to people around the world,
which it doesn't right now,
then Olympia would have seen reality sooner or later.

But Oceanwide is something a city like Los Angeles could take over and finish.
I mean, it is right across the street from the so-called Crypto Arena,
and it currently has FAIL written all over it. Not a good look to conventioners.
So why not finish it? (If I'm wrong about this let me know)

Large mouth Bass has no interest in it or this type of construction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations