HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
also, might wanna look closer at the residential permits. i don’t think there is err, room, much less desire, for 77 subdvisions in many major cities like there is in houston for example, per the real estate link below. and these are just the ones about to open, can you imagine planned and u/c?

Currently, home builders in Houston are about to open 77 new communities here. NewHomeSource makes it easy to find all the new neighborhoods in Houston. Our listings are updated daily directly from the home builders, giving home shoppers the most accurate and freshest listings. It's time to find your dream home in the perfect new community today.

https://beta.newhomesource.com/commu...omingsoon=true

of course, to be fair, there is more creative and urban styled development as well, but holy cow do they got room to build.
The area I've been interested in is Cypress, which has master planned communities, as do other areas. Cypress' population has exploded to something like 250,000. The neighborhood I've been looking at has craftsman style homes with walking and bike paths all over the neighborhood. I like the area. The north part of Cypress is in the pine forest, while the south part is not. I like Sugar Land the most because of its diverse population, largely southeast and south Asian, but it's too far from family. I have my house ready to sell in Austin now, but need to get some health issues resolved before I can pack up and move.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 7:00 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Geography plays a huge factor in how far TX's metros can sprawl compared to NY/LA/SF or Chicago which have water, mountains or both. All the TX cities have no such constraints and can sprawl halfway to China.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 9:25 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Greater Houston is sort of limited to the north/northeast and to a lesser extent the south/southwest with the forest preserves and wetlands. The metro though is much better planned than DFW. You could build a nice high-rise district in East Downtown and there are radial ROWs such as Hempstead, Almeda, and Galveston that could be used for commuter rail.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 1:38 AM
Never Dell

Sprawl constraints do play a huge role in making cities good vs. not so good. In Miami, the West Coast 5, etc., there's always topography + policy that restricts sprawl. That makes sprawl harder and more expensive. Infill competes much more easily. A little infill momentum turns into a lot more infill momentum, or it does where it's allowed -- the Miami and Seattle areas most of all. But making sprawl expensive also means making big house sites expensive, and the same for leapfrogging strip centers and warehouses. That stuff goes to the cheaper, freer-sprawling cities like in Texas.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Geography plays a huge factor in how far TX's metros can sprawl compared to NY/LA/SF or Chicago which have water, mountains or both. All the TX cities have no such constraints and can sprawl halfway to China.
I recently came across a prediction from the late 60s recently that said, at the rate it was going then, Metro Detroit wouldn't stop sprawling until it ran into Chicago. We all know how that turned out lol.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Greater Houston is sort of limited to the north/northeast and to a lesser extent the south/southwest with the forest preserves and wetlands. The metro though is much better planned than DFW. You could build a nice high-rise district in East Downtown and there are radial ROWs such as Hempstead, Almeda, and Galveston that could be used for commuter rail.
As far as the suburban style is concerned, I disagree. DFW is much better planned than the Houston metro. Even the urban style developments seem better planned in DFW, with so many suburbs with "historic" downtowns that have been built up the last 10-15 years. DFW is one of the better planned metros in the US from top to bottom. It is like a mini southern california without the scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Looking at the Census numbers, Houston and Dallas are #1 and #2 for building permits for this year, so far. And generally in the top three almost every year. But that's about it. Austin is a ways down, and SA is nowhere near the top 5.

Dallas is growing much faster than Houston, but Houston is permitting much faster. That's kind of interesting.
Nah Houston and DFW are growing at about the same rate and by raw numbers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions