HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCHenry View Post
Sugar House, Yalecrest, and The Avenues. (SLC)
I'll have to look at those. Im still trying to sell myself on SLC. I work at PacifiCorp so I could probably transfer to Rocky Mountain pretty easily. They're building a brand new office and shopping district I hear.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
I'll have to look at those. Im still trying to sell myself on SLC. I work at PacifiCorp so I could probably transfer to Rocky Mountain pretty easily. They're building a brand new office and shopping district I hear.

I’d rather you stay put.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 1:11 AM

The guy from Quebec would rather the guy from Oregon not go to Utah? Oh I get it. Probably because I'd definitely have to change my handle to something dumb like SLcMcGee or Stormin' Mormon.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 4:18 AM

What I have experienced or what I know.

Urban neighborhood - Lakeview, Chicago

Edge City - Brookline MA, just outside Boston

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 6:30 AM

Neighborhood: Georgetown

Edge City: Princeton

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
The guy from Quebec would rather the guy from Oregon not go to Utah? Oh I get it. Probably because I'd definitely have to change my handle to something dumb like SLcMcGee or Stormin' Mormon.
You got it!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 11:32 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Palo Alto
Do you have a pin of where you are talking? Granted it was more of a quick drive through the city when I went a few years ago, and my expectations were high, but I did not see anything that warranted any strong kudos in terms of character or urbanity.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
You got it!
I'll take it into consideration. To Salt Lake's credit, they are really stepping up development. Its starting to give me Y2k Portland vibes.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 5:56 PM

I love So. Cal. and will always live here at least part-time. There are too many areas to just name one or two in L.A. Metro that are my favorites. I take early morning 60 to 80-minute power walks thru all areas from Pasadena to Venice Beach four times a week.

If you're thinking of moving to the Salt Lake City area consider this more than anything else. Even more than the fact that its immediate surroundings are drop-dead gorgeous, you must ask yourself this question. Do you long to be or are you already a four-season over-the-top outdoor enthusiast? If you are then sunny Salt Lake City is Mecca to accessible phenomenal outdoor activity.

Oh, and don't listen to the occasional uninformed bigot. There's a reason why its CSA has been among the fastest-growing areas for a couple of decades now. Anyone who is chill and knows Salt Lake understands that those of your probable friends who are active or not so active Mormon will probably be among the easiest going friendliest people you'll ever associate with. And the other 50% who are whatever will most likely have the same vibe. With Salt Lake City it's pretty easy to receive an overflow of the good karma you put out. At least that's been my own personal experience.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 5:58 PM

Quote:
I'll take it into consideration. To Salt Lake's credit, they are really stepping up development. Its starting to give me Y2k Portland vibes.

A lot of hiking/sport opportunities, much like Portland's vicinity, I suppose. Just look out for yourself in the bigamy stakes. It's a major outlay… lol

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
A lot of hiking/sport opportunities, much like Portland's vicinity, I suppose. Just look out for yourself in the bigamy stakes. It's a major outlay… lol
Yeah, like Portland but much more like the Rockies...much sunnier. If you like a lot of rain then great. I prefer a higher or sunnier climate myself. Oh, and if you're into the polyamorous lifestyle then I can refer you to a lot of people here in L.A. It's a lot more prevalent here than Salt Lake...LOL

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 6:33 PM

Id personally be fine in Salt Lake. Mormons are the least annoying Christians I've met. Its no worse than politically performance households you find all over Portland. I do like the Utah wild west look but I might miss the Portland grit. I've got a 2.8 percent mortgage right now too.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Id personally be fine in Salt Lake. Mormons are the least annoying Christians I've met. Its no worse than politically performance households you find all over Portland. I do like the Utah wild west look but I might miss the Portland grit. I've got a 2.8 percent mortgage right now too.
So don't sell your place in Portland. Keep it as an investment property. Anyone with a mortgage locked in from the past 3 years who sells is a moron. We won't see interest rates that low again for a generation.

It's free money.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2023, 11:18 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
same here. and we got it by the skin of our teeth. we had to pay to hold it a few months until we closed as rates skyrocketed.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2023, 5:41 AM

Pasadena, California for me. Its just great. Would love to end up there.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 1:05 AM

[QUOTE=LAisthePlace;9896012]Pasadena, California for me. Its just great. Would love to end up there.

Pasadena is really a remarkable success story. Back in the '70s, for all its history as an elite LA suburb, it was seriously struggling: the worst smog in the county, stagnating population, civic strife over school busing. Even in the mid-1980s Old Pasadena was still fairly sleepy with little of the commercial and restaurant activity that you see today. If I recall correctly, in the 1980 census Pasadena's median household income was lower that in LA County as a whole. There were always very wealthy neighborhoods in Pasadena (and of course in neighboring San Marino), but people with money back then were more likely to want to be on the Westside, or in Orange County, or in newer suburbs further out.

Now Pasadena is considered a very desirable area. Why the big change in fortune? The improving air quality situation certainly helped. The city made some adroit moves in revitalizing Old Pasadena, even if some might complain that the result is a bit generic and cliche. And though it may seem odd to say this in a Skyscraper Page forum, but the completion of the Foothill Freeway through Pasadena may have helped too. At a time when LA hadn't yet begun opening its modern rail lines, Pasadena getting fully integrated into the LA freeway system helped spur the city's commercial development. Yes, I know the Pasadena Freeway opened in 1940, but it only just makes it to the southern edge of Pasadena.

Probably the most important reason for Pasadena's turnaround was that the city never lost its strong local institutions. Those institutions were there for the city for the long haul, and Pasadena was able to capitalize on its long standing advantages once its fortunes began to turn.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2023, 5:15 AM

It's overlooked but I think Tempe, AZ, bordering Phoenix, and first growing up as a college town and now transitioning to a modal urban center is pretty interesting. I unfortunately don't have pictures on my laptop, but it is the largest low/high rise hub outside of the city of Phoenix. Scottsdale has some, but not on the level of Tempe.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 12:39 PM

It's not at all remarkable from a walkability standpoint, but I've always been a fan of Southfield, Michigan:

Royal Oak, Birmingham and Pontiac are also really interesting satellites of Detroit.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 1:03 PM

I don’t mean to sound pretentious, but I wish everyone here gets to check out Brookline. It’s the best suburb in the country, or among the absolute top set. You get everything from 40,000+ pp sq mile, rail-serviced urban squares to pristine New England rural estates, dotted by Olmsted parks throughout, and all in under 7 sq miles. I wouldn’t call Brookline an edge city though. It’s a classic street car suburb. And I’m pretty sure Coolidge Corner and Chestnut Hill (Brookline) are closer to downtown than parts of Dorchester and Hyde Park (Boston).

Lowell is an edge city by function but not by intention. More through absorption or osmosis I guess. Either way, it’s an awesome place now. It’s also at an all-time population high.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
It's overlooked but I think Tempe, AZ, bordering Phoenix, and first growing up as a college town and now transitioning to a modal urban center is pretty interesting. I unfortunately don't have pictures on my laptop, but it is the largest low/high rise hub outside of the city of Phoenix. Scottsdale has some, but not on the level of Tempe.
I’ve been under the impression that Tempe has the best urbanity in Arizona for a while now. At least at any scale. Am I wrong here?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions