HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 6:27 PM

6609 Stanley Avenue | 254m | 72s | Hariri Pontarini
Not in Toronto (across the lake) but I grew up near Niagara Falls so indulge me (and I have posted my a$$ off in this thread ;-)  Thanks to COVID (and a decimated tourist industry), this will likely move from “approved” to “never-built” very quickly.

But the good news is it’s designed by Hariri Pontarini (think SkyTower) who have designed half of the 328,517 new projects in Toronto.  I’ve started a GoFundMe website to help move the project to The Six, and maybe Drake will chip in (he could probably under-write this on his own). 

The podium will obviously be re-designed as a much smaller cascading/tiered masterpiece (residents will overlook a much smaller ‘veil’ waterfall that bisects the podium, a nod to the genesis of the project).

UT

UT

UT

P.S. ^^ I know you scrolled through the eye-candy renders without reading my witty introduction.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 9:14 PM

Canary Block Condos - 42m - 12s - designed by KPMB - nearing completion

UT
Great shots from Benito:

Benito

^^ Note that the 4 people (2 dogs) in Benito's photo above, look exactly like "render people". Even the dogs.

Benito

Benito

Last edited by Maldive; Sep 27, 2020 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 11:11 AM

The One - angled steel for the APPLE Temple.

skycandy

Retail entrance
(mock-up with cladding for angled steel above)

me

Decking The Rail Corridor - ORCA versus the City - updated
Original ssp page link (posted near bottom of the page) >: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...80485&page=149

I completely forgot that ORCA (Kingsway Group) resubmitted new rail corridor concept plans for OPA in June 2020. This concept was designed by world-renowned Safdie Architects
and features 10 towers (6 are skybridge connected) ranging from 36 to 46 storeys, with park land to the south.

UT

UT

Block 8 West Don Lands - 90m, 57m, 57m

jfuji

UT

UT

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 11:53 AM

So tell me more about these rail deck proposals...is this some kind of competition?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
So tell me more about these rail deck proposals...is this some kind of competition?
Basically the city wants to expropriate the air rights above the track and build a park, while the existing owners of the air rights want to develop a mega-project.

The reality is that the owners have never built anything more than strip plazas on the edge of the metro, have been sitting on the lands for decades, and are looking to make the air rights look super valuable so that the city has to pay a pretty penny to expropriate it. Any development proposal on the lands is never going to be built and is purely for speculation purposes.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 2:51 PM

Not a rendering ;-)
AquaVista (on the right) nearing completion. The glorious colours of the maples beg the question… how have they turned when it was +30 degrees when this was shot on Saturday (and my building management turned of the A/C days ago)?

globalexpress

So many Aquas - site overview: AquaLina (left centre), AquaVista, AquaBella, and the best of the crop under site-prep, AquaLuna (site is lower right). They are all near the water ;-)

UT

AquaLuna

UT

225 Jarvis Street - 154m - 45s - (residential/hotel) - site demolition

UT

Demolition of the brutalist tower on-site

brianyyz

Garden District condos - 100m - 32s - u/c

UT

brianyyz

334 Bloor West -118m - 35s -pre-construction

UT

293 The Kingsway - 8 storeys - designed by Quadrangle

UT

UT
Entire site

UT

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:52 PM

The Great (truncated) Pyramids of U of T: Schwartz Reisman Innovation Centre- 20 + 12s - designed by Weiss/Manfredi and Teeple Architects - under construction

UT

Getting their cranes soon.

AlbertC

UT

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 11:41 PM

I hope I am not the only one who finds it hard to remember which “Aqua” name goes with which project. I suspect I am also not the only one who appreciates seeing both the renders and the photos, especially viewed from the lake. FWIW I think each more recent project is an improvement on its predecessors as you move forward in time and east along the lake. I am eager to see project number four, Aqua whatever, go up.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macallan View Post
I hope I am not the only one who finds it hard to remember which “Aqua” name goes with which project. I suspect I am also not the only one who appreciates seeing both the renders and the photos, especially viewed from the lake. FWIW I think each more recent project is an improvement on its predecessors as you move forward in time and east along the lake. I am eager to see project number four, Aqua whatever, go up.
Lol, number 4 (Aqua whatever)is AquaLuna. And you're right.. with each successive phase they have gotten better: Phase 1 (AquaLina) was a bit of a fail for me, Phase 2 and 3 were much better (Vista & Bella) and the Phase 4 design (AquaLuna) is simply spectacular imo.

AquaLuna in the foreground (and other Aquas behind)

UT

UT

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post

AquaLuna in the foreground (and other Aquas behind)

UT
What is slated to go in between the Aquas and the Gardiner? Something taller I hope?

Last edited by H2O; Sep 29, 2020 at 1:55 PM. Reason: No need for second image

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
What is slated to go in between the Aquas and the Gardiner? Something taller I hope?
T3 Bayside 42m (10s X 2) - u/c
Two ten-storey mass timber office buildings, each containing approximately 250,000 square feet of rentable space.

UT

UT

UT

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 6:18 PM

Social at Church + Dundas - 165m - 52s - Pemberton - RAW Design - u/c
Construction - bottom left of pic

AlbertC

UT

Peter and Adelaide - 152m - 47s - u/c

Red Mars

UT

UT

SCALA - 62m - 18s- designed by Wallman - under construction

UT

UT

UT

Scotiabank North Tower at Bay Adelaide Centre - 140m - 32s - KPMB - u/c
Easily the best of three Scotia-branded towers. Note the daring square floor plates.

Render (the exotic middle tower in the pic, Scotia Plaza behind)

UT

Benito

UT

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 11:38 PM

That church is cute. All these wonderful projects in Toronto. I'd be delighted to have a 10th of them in Minneapolis.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:12 PM

For anyone interested in a bit more about the huge Portlands/Lower Don Lands 880 acre Redevelopment (SSP page link), CityTV just did a nice video progress overview including aerials of construction, time-lapse and more.
https://toronto.citynews.ca/video/20...-taking-shape/

55 Mercer - 155.5m - 47s - residential (really like the podium’s warehouse vernacular given its location)

UT

UT
Sad days for friends and staff of Wayne Gretzky’s after 27 years, closing in October.

CBC

125 George Street -149m - 39s - Diamond Corp - designed by Sweeney & Co. - pre-construction

UT
West elevation

UT

379-391 Adelaide West & 96 Spadina - 77m -16s - Allied - designed by Sweeny &Co - pre-construction
The 16-storey office development features a unique mast design that allows the new office volume to hover above the warehouse-style heritage buildings.

UT
Mast

UT

UT

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 5:37 PM

That last one with the mast looks spectacular from an engineering point of view. And the new mast design is beautiful!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
That last one with the mast looks spectacular from an engineering point of view. And the new mast design is beautiful!
Guess you missed my posts re: the Portlands bridges being assembled in Dartmouth ;-)

Originally Posted by Jonovision 
The bridge is in Halifax? Now I want to go find it!

Off to the paint shop?

Link

Never heard back whether you 'infiltrated' the bridge fabricator in Dartmouth. I even posted the fabricator's contact info lol.

Cherubini Metal Works Limited
Regional Office & Burnside Fabrication Facility:
570 Wilkinson Avenue 
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Canada 
B3B 0J4

Blair Nakatsu – General Manager 
bnakatsu@cherubinigroup.com
Pleasant Street Fabrication Facility:
760 Pleasant Street 
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Canada 
B2W 1A7
Telephone: (902) 468-5630 Fax: (902) 468-5742

Woodside Coating Facility (painting??) - no address found

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:39 AM

Stunning captures of CIBC Square before a storm (by Razz).

Razz

Razz

Razz

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:17 AM

The One - A lot of steel in just a few days.

AdamS

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 3:29 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I must learn more about this mast building. That's amazing.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:07 PM

^ yeah this is a tres cool approach to actual heritage preservation, especially given the tsunami of facadism the city is experiencing.

101 Spadina Avenue - 47s - Diamond Schmitt for Great Gulf - pre-construction

UT

UT

UT

Yonge & Rich Condominiums - 156m - 46s - Great Gulf - architectsAlliance - u/c
(centre of pic in background, St. Lawrence Market North u/c in foreground)

AlbertC

Central Condos - 139m - 46s - Concord Adex - DIALOG

Red Mars

UT

357 King West - 148m - 42s - Great Gulf - Quadrangle

Red Mars

UT

UT

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations