HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
one more question, Who should we interview next? Or would you like me to choose someone for you since you dont post here much?
I believe Witty Nickname is on the clock, seeing that the continuation had branched off on the previous page.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 3:49 AM
So very tired...

Yes, I picked witty. Seems this has split in two after SFOH...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 5:41 PM
3rd Coast King

yeah, something like that. SFOH said he wanted to hear from a couple people. So i just ran with it. Witty Nickname is still on the block if he wants to contribute. The way I see it, "the more the merrier."

My Book

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 6:48 PM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

What are you shooting with and what would you like to shoot with?
Nikon D800, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8,
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8, Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro, Nikkor 70-300mm VR
Nikon SB-700 Speedlight.

If you could sum up your style in one photograph what photo would it be?

Upon further review, one photo is too damn hard...

Twilight Tree by Witty nickname, on Flickr

Standing Tall by Witty nickname, on Flickr

Light Trails on Bow Trail by Witty nickname, on Flickr

The Bow in Selenium by Witty nickname, on Flickr

Atrium: Take Two by Witty nickname, on Flickr

Custom Wine Cellar by Witty nickname, on Flickr

Another World by Witty nickname, on Flickr

Say Cheese by Witty nickname, on Flickr

Talk about your inspirations and influences.
My inspiration is typically whatever catches my eye. Living in Calgary that has an amazing skyline and natural beauty just beyond the city limits, it's easy to find inspiration in any direction. My influence from childhood was my Father, who was always taking photos and allowing me to use his Nikon gear on a regular basis.
Getting me hooked at an early age. Plus my loyal dog Morley is always an inspiration...
I'd always have a camera in my hand at family functions and it just kind of stuck.

Where have you not been that you want to photograph?
As a skyscraper enthusiast, I really want to photograph New York City and Chicago.

Talk about your most popular (in your opinion) photothreads.
My most popular photo thread would probably be the Calgary Skyline & Panorama thread.
It's a thread for everyone to contribute and has hundreds of amazing Calgary Skyline Panoramas.

Talk about your photothreads that didn't get the response you wanted.
I typically don't start photo threads, I usually just contribute to existing ones.

Any tips or personal wisdom you'd like to pass on to others?
Never be afraid to try new techniques with photography. Practice makes perfect. Learn the basics, composition, lighting, framing, etc...

Spending thousands of dollars on gear won't make you a better photographer, build your collection of glass slowly and understand your camera inside and out.

On your next photoshoot, only bring one prime lens and see what can be accomplished by using your legs as your zoom.

Who should we ask these questions of next?
Surrealplaces

Last edited by Witty Nickname; Apr 4, 2013 at 3:58 AM. Reason: Too hard to choose one photo...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 10:53 PM
Editor

^Great photos Witty!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 1:18 PM
3rd Coast King

Response from:

Surrealplaces

I used a Canon S2IS for a few years, and as a point and shoot camera it served me well, but last year I decided it was time to improve my photos and get a DSLR. I now shoot with a Nikon D5000, and I’m really enjoying it. I mainly use three lenses; 18-105mm VR, 35mm, 55-200VR, 70-300mm sigma. I’d love to have a wide angle fish eye lens, and it would be nice to have a macro lens. I’d like to do some super close-up shots.

My style tends to be alot of landscape or cityscape shots, often stitching multiple shots into panos. Another description of my style could be one of post-processed photos. Coming from a background in programs such as Bryce, and 3D Studio max, I can’t help but play around and tweak photos….sometimes making them into something quite different from the original.

My influences have come from two areas. 1) digital media such as 3D art is something I’ve been involved in for a while. 2) Other photographers on Flickr or here at SSP. Forum member, Witty Nickname has influenced my work, and has helped my improve at taking photos. The post processing side of my photos would definitely be influenced by past work in digital art.

I’d love to photograph India, or parts of South America. I’ve been to New York before, but would love to take another crack at photographing it.

My most popular photothreads are often ones from Calgary, as we have a lot of Calgarian and Canadian forum members. My European city ones have been popular also.

I think most of my threads got the response I expected. I had a photothread of Santorini that didn’t get as much response as others, even though those pics are by far my most popular photos on Flickr. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised though, Santorini, is beautiful, but has no skyscrapers ;-)

If I could offer any advice, it would be these tips. Don’t be afraid to take lots of photos. If you take a dozen shots of the same subject…each one slightly different, you will often produce one that stands out from the rest. Don’t be afraid to shoot anything. Some of my favorite photos are ones I didn’t expect to be very good. Last, but not least, always have your camera. I need to follow that rule more often.

Bulliver would be a good photographer to question. If not try Jimby.

Cheers, Kevin

My Book

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 3:22 PM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
Response from:
Surrealplaces

Other photographers on Flickr or here at SSP. Forum member, Witty Nickname has influenced my work, and has helped my improve at taking photos.
Thanks buddy!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 7:10 PM
not a NIMBY

NIKON D300S with a Nikkor AF-S 10-24 mm, 18-200 mm, + 80-400 mm;
and a Canon G10. No plans for anything else at the moment.

G10:

tea picker showing us the freshly plucked tea leaves by LUMIN8, on Flickr

10-24 mm:

Coca Cola isn't popular by LUMIN8, on Flickr

18-200 mm:

A Star! by LUMIN8, on Flickr

80-400 mm:

cub on the move by LUMIN8, on Flickr

sliding into place by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Out of focus, hit and miss lol!

looking down 6 Avenue by LUMIN8, on Flickr

everything! I'm always curious about everything we see in our visual world; especially architecture and construction, wildlife, and landscapes.

San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. For some reason, I feel drawn to go there, but I have no idea if or when that will happen.

My most viewed thread with over 7,000 views got locked because I chose the word "dynamic" in the title about boomtime Calgary, as in:"Calgary, Canada's Most Dynamic City" which people in more dynamic cities in Canada vehemently objected to. I must say that as someone who grew up in small town Quebec, Montreal, and Ontario, it has been really amazing to witness and photograph the transformation of Calgary from prairie town to Little Chicago and that has been the subject of most of my threads. I like to contribute to the Bow and Eighth Avenue Place threads as those 2 towers have progressed towards completion.

My last and best thread was on Vancouver and it sunk to the bottom of the photothread ocean in record time. Maybe I should have used the 'D' word in the title, but that wouldn't be true!
I was apprehensive about how my threads on Israel would be received and most comments were positive. I tried not to be provocative, and I didn't say Israel is dynamic, but I think it is! I would love to go back to see more.

I think the photographer should ask themselves what's the story they are telling the viewer with their image?

entheosfog

Last edited by Jimby; Jun 27, 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 8:45 PM
3rd Coast King

I see how it is.....

All you Canadians are forming a syndicate here

My Book

Last edited by diskojoe; Jun 29, 2011 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 6:50 AM

First off, thanks for the request Jimby. My first reaction was to turn it down as I don't really feel my photos compare with much in this thread. Buuuuuut then again, it is 'Getting to Know Your SSP Photographers', and not 'Getting to Know Certain SSP Photographers'. Also, I realize self-deprecation is highly annoying
And I was asked, so let's do this...

Not much. I'd like to say I keep it simple by choice, but it's mostly due to financial constraints as to why my gear is extremely basic. I'm just rockin' a Canon Rebel, sometimes with a telephoto. I've taken around 13,000 pictures in 2 years with it so it's a good work horse:

216/365 - Pink Sun Delight by entheos_fog, on Flickr
My previous camera was just a Fuji S7000 and that crapped out after nearly 20,000 photos so I'm moving up the food chain slowly.
I also have one of those Holgas that I use on occasion but processing is pretty expensive. I like the results though, so random. Plus, when I post the photos I have to assure people these were NOT taken with some Hipstamatic app for an iPhone, it's shot on real film:

Dog in Park by entheos_fog, on Flickr
I also have an old Pentax SLR that I toy around with on occasion.

Inukshuk at English Bay by entheos_fog, on Flickr

I carry around a little point and shoot everywhere I go as my DSLR is too big to lug with me to work every day.
As for what I would like, I'd really love to have a wide-angle lens and a better all-purpose lens and one day upgrade to a better DSLR. But for what I use mine for, it's good for now. It's not the equipment that matters, but the user, right?!

Jack of most trades perhaps? I started out doing a lot heritage building documentary-type photos in Calgary, capturing the disappearing and changing face of Calgary as it was going through a major boom.

Apartment Demolition - 325 12th Ave SE by entheos_fog, on Flickr

I still do that to some extent in Vancouver:

89/365 - Impending Doom by entheos_fog, on Flickr

but I have become very interested in street photography in the past few years. I love the idea of capturing every day people of the city, going about their daily business as well as capturing the mundane, the random or the strange. Anyone who's seen my threads knows this

94/365 - Man with Giant Painting by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Construction Workers by entheos_fog, on Flickr

112/365 - Old Man Selling Religion on the Street While Standing Next to a Giant Mural of the Incredible Hulk by entheos_fog, on Flickr

3/365 - Muffin Stump by entheos_fog, on Flickr

I'd like to do more portraits in the future perhaps:

135/365 - "We're half awake..." by entheos_fog, on Flickr

but I really do like candid scenes better:

177/365 - Untitled by entheos_fog, on Flickr

I do some photojournalism-type photography as well:

117/365 - Something to Say by entheos_fog, on Flickr

and architectural stuff:

Holy Rosary Cathedral by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Of course, once in a while I do like to bust out some more visually engaging photos:

Typical Scene by entheos_fog, on Flickr

176/365 - Rocks in the Water by entheos_fog, on Flickr

184/365 - Strawberry Fields Forever by entheos_fog, on Flickr

30/365 - Granville Street at Night by entheos_fog, on Flickr

One of my huge projects I've undertaken in the past few years has been my then and now series. I have now over 1000 such comparisons of Vancouver scenes. I love local history and I love capturing the city as we see it today because even in 10 years it will not be the same:

Hastings at Cambie - 1911/2007 by entheos_fog, on Flickr

I'm a huge fan of Bernice Abbott and her mentor, the great Eugene Atget. I love the juxtaposition, social commentary and contrasts of their work. There's soo many other street photographers I could name, too.
Also, Fred Herzog, a legendary Vancouver photographer, mostly from the 50s and 60s, is a huge inspiration for me:
http://fredherzog.com/
I should mention, many SSPers who post photothreads and my flickr friends are a big source of influence and inspiration, especially those that take similar photos to me.

EVERYWHERE. I travelled extensively throughout the US and Canada when I was younger and but unfortunately I was not into photography and there's many cities in the US I'd love to visit and take photos, not to mention much of the world. This fall, me and my girlfriend have tentatively planned to visit Mexico City so I'm quite looking forward to that. In the future, when money permits, I will travel much more, camera in hand.

They all seem to be around the same mark, which is fine. I really take to heart the comments and compliments when I post a thread as a lot of work goes into posting them, as you all know. My second to newest photothread, Vancouver: Takin' It to the Streets, racked up a large number of views in short order due to me posting the thread days before the Vancouver riots. So people likely went fishing for riot photos judging by the title, and there were none to be had.

Like I said earlier, most of the threads do about the same. I don't put much stock into views although I think the title has a lot to do with the view count!
I do find it interesting which photos people like compared to different mediums I post in, whether it be here, flickr, or the ones on Facebook. Different people react to different photos in different ways

It's been said many times, but shoot shoot SHOOT! Get out there and walk around and take lots of pictures. Explore your city. Once you have the camera, it's free! SO there's no excuses.
Also, stay true to what you like. Different pics for different folks. Photography should be enjoyable as possible and I'm in my happy place when I'm shooting stuff I like to shoot best.
Carry around a camera EVERYWHERE you go. Even if it's a little point and shoot. You just never know...

134/365 - Man with Purple Cape by entheos_fog, on Flickr

gotta keep it going with the Canadian content, so 1ajs... [/QUOTE]

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 5:20 PM
3rd Coast King

1ajs

curently shooting with a nikon D70 and a pentax 6x7. i would love to have a d700 but then i am not realy up to date on the latest and greats gizmoes in photography these days so their could be something better

i like to work with lines and textures within the world of black and white when i can

but i also love colour absolutly love it..........

espeacialy when you have the ability to play with your own light sources in the night

as i move along the path of this hobby i continue to branch out into areas of curiosity and lighting is one i have been toying with for the last while just using flashlights

but to sum up my work in one photo is hard like i said as i jump all over

watching my parents over the yrs has influenced me along with the new york times building thread and then theres the various other photographers i have had the plesure of watching over the yrs growing up......

an abandond coal power station in new plymouth new zealand

prolly the bike ride threads of utter spelling errors

i don't post many so i don't really remember

it does not matter how good you are theres allways room for improvement as we evolve as shooters and the trade becomes swamped one has to find their spot

wpg_guy

My Book

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 2:26 PM
arf

-ax-

-AX-

Thanks for ColDayMan for selecting me! I appreciate it! And very sorry for not giving any news for a long time. I think I have a good enough reason though : I was busy traveling through Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam for 5 months! BTW in due time I will post some threads of those truly exotic places!

Most of the threads I post show photos taken with my SLR, a canon 40D with 18-200 and ultra wide 10-20 lenses. I like this camera cause it takes great photos, and the wide lens is just awesome! Apart from that I have a small panasonic compact that I usually leave in my car for job photos or various point-and-shoot purposes. Recently I got a Nikon P7000 for the trip to Asia, and although it sometimes was a pain to shoot with it while used to a SLR, it was very handy and took great photos too. For me it was a good compromise between not having to carry a heavy camera with a couple of lenses and good quality.

As almost everybody who took this questionnaire, I can't sum up my style in one single photo. I can just say that I usually take photos of everyday scenes but I try to take my time for every photo, make it nice, well composed and well framed, I try to find little things that most people won't see as they walk around. I always say that most of my photos (most of which are not good enough to be posted on SSP anyway) are very ordinary now, but in 50 years they will be very enjoyable to watch as they will show everyday scenes from the past. I also do sometimes take photos that are very good IMO. Most of my photos are natural looking with very little editing (mostly brightness/contrast, or straightening or slight color adjustment) What i love the most is to take photos of places that few people go to. I like to travel but I don't like to see all those tourists with a guidebook in one hand and the camera in the other taking photos of the very touristy spots, before hopping in their big tour buses bound to the next tourist trap. It pisses me off and I feel like I lack originality, so I prefer to go to untouristy places (those can be just one block from the big cathedral that everybody talks about) and show how the place really looks like, as a local would see it. Obviously I love remote places the most, places so far that you feel proud of yourself for getting there. It's a rather careerist way of thinking, but I swear i'm not a careerist person

Some more random and some better photos that that sum up what I do :

My fascination for skyscrapers, bridges and various structures come from my childhood, I don't know where! I've been on here on and off for many years and Serge was my first inspiration for city photos with his sharp skyscraper photos. Later I got more and more interested in neighbourhoods, thanks to Kilgore Trout. I don't know where my traveling ambitions come from but seeing different places and cultures always inspire me.

High on my list are Russia, India, China, Indonesia, and so on... Actually there are not many countries that I don't have any desire to visit!

My James Bay roadtrip thread got an amazing response, which I somehow expected, but it's always very flattering! My NYC threads (especially the 2007 one but also the 2010 one) and my Cairo Egypt thread got a big, and rather unexpected, response too!

Some of my Montreal or Quebec City threads didn't get the response I expected, but generally speaking i'm quite happy with the response my threads have got!

Travel the world, go and see other places, there's so much more to see than the western world! And if you feel uncomfortable with traveling to such different countries, even your city is full of unexpected things to see. You just have to take this side street you'd never thought of taking!

I like Olga's photos very much, and it covers little seen places outside the mainstream North America. I'd like to hear from her! I don't know if she's still around here though!

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 6:56 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow dude, love that photos of the taxi in the rain and the long exposure stars. Great work man.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2011, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I like Olga's photos very much, and it covers little seen places outside the mainstream North America. I'd like to hear from her! I don't know if she's still around here though!
Wow, thanks! I'm glad and flattered to be remembered around here! It made me finally post more photos from last summer's journey in Caucasus.

I'll answer the questions tomorrow or later this week!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 10:59 AM
arf

olga

Nikon D40. It's getting old, but it's OK for now. I guess I'll get something similar when it's time for a new camera. I'm not very interested in the equipment, as long as it works. I never change lenses, I never use a tripod. For me, it's all about the subject and the composition.

A photo from an exotic place, a city. A facade. Grit. Some detail that catches the eye.

None, for the moment! I'm totally uninspired. But normally I get inspiration when I travel. I love big cities with a mix of cultures. I got lots of inspiration from SSP years ago when I started to hang out here, specially from photographers like Sasso, Kilgore Trout and Giallo. Lately I've been more active on Flickr, and it has inspired me to take photos of other things than cities. Among famous photographers I have some Swedish favorites, Georg Oddner and Sune Jonsson. I admire them, but it would be too much to say that they influence me as a photographer.

After last summer's trip to the Caucaus, I feel that the next step is Central Asia, and specially Kyrgyzstan. But I have no idea when that will happen. I haven't been to New York (or the rest of the US) and it's been on the top of my list for years. Not so much for taking photos though, we all know what that city looks like... When I go there, it will be a challenge not to take the ordinary cliché pics.

I guess that would be the Photo Tennis-thread! I'm glad that turned out so well. Talking about my own photo threads, I'm happy to see the great (well, relatively) interest in photos from ”strange” places like Cairo and Baku. (I have lots of photos from Toronto were I spent some time i May, and it will be interesting to see the response when I post that thread. I guess it can generate comments from people here who normally don't pay any attention to my threads.)

Can't think of any. It's been so long since I posted here regularly.

No.

Is Chelsea Spy still around?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 11:00 AM
arf

Although I think the photo above really summarizes what olga sees, this photo has always been a favourite of mine.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:34 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
-AX-
uhh.. Axel, hope that's not u with the fly down.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:35 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Olga always has a unique eye for photos. I particularly like her set with her shoes / boots and ground / floor patterns.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 3:03 PM
arf

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 3:35 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Nice one.

My Book

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography