HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 9:52 PM

re; Plumber Garage, at least its vertical, has some retail and a mixed media facade, as long as its not VE'd. Dont expect the greenery to materialize. The unions use these facilities as member launching points for sporting games and other weekend attractions. The area will need a few more vertical garages if we ever expect the United Center lots to be developed. Not a popular thought on this thread, but reality is suburbanites will drive to these events, Lakefront, Museum & campus exceptions.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 10:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I found this interesting, as is being played out in Pilsen (this trend towards having "spot" fees and "spot" policies in various places in the city troubles me, though):

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...-fees-attached
Oxford generally defines Gentrification as “the process of making someone or something more refined, polite, or respectable”.

That there’s an “anti-gentrification” regulation is a testament to how far those in power here have fallen within our society.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 11:27 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Not to get too off-topic, but here's a recently completed parking garage by two old professors of mine that looks pretty cool...and is a relatively easy concept to build and install:

https://www.archpaper.com/2021/03/iw...garage-facade/

Point being, even parking garage exteriors can be well-thought out/interesting-looking, and inexpensively executed.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Oxford generally defines Gentrification as “the process of making someone or something more refined, polite, or respectable”.

That there’s an “anti-gentrification” regulation is a testament to how far those in power here have fallen within our society.
You're being wilfully obtuse in terms of what gentrification means in the well understood context of modern US cities/corresponding class& racial/segregation implications, and I think you know that

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
^^ Noticeably absent, McKinley, Little Village, Brighton Park, Pilsen. Are those near SW communities represented in another district above? I dont think Bridgeport covers them.

Most encouraging is Auburn Gresham, Ashburn, Wash Hts, Roseland and Chatham.
Little Village isn't going to see many over ask probably because asking prices have gotten absurd there in the last few months. Have seen multiple 3-4 flats sell or go under contract for $650-800k which is just absurd IMO. Teo Scorte, a mid sized developer, has begun liquidating much of his large portfolio of small MF properties and has been blowing up the old comps.

Quote:
I found this interesting, as is being played out in Pilsen (this trend towards having "spot" fees and "spot" policies in various places in the city troubles me, though):

Lol, such a success! Replacing 17 units with 9! Byron you should be so proud! Good thing that $45k will buy us 1/10th of an affordable unit at the price that your buddy Carlos just paid to build the Prisonview Arms at Logan Square!

This city is run by literal idiots...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:54 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
chicago yimby posted this rendering of a new development on irving just west of the irving/damen/lincoln 6 corners.

full article: https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/05/ren...th-center.html

say what you will about the retro design, but at least it's replacing this awfulness: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9540...7i16384!8i8192

This rendering reminds me of the final version of the “Logan’s Crossing” development. I just saw this post about it today comparing the initial renderings and the finished construction.

https://www.twitter.com/ASchneider20...30518950420480

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:57 AM
1st Ward

Quote:

The 45k that the developer has to pay for the demo will simply manifest itself in higher condo prices/apartment rents. This, combined with less housing supply since the 15k demo fees will create a drag on new development will simply serve to increase the cost of housing and thus hasten gentrification.

I'm all for not driving out existing residents, but this might not be the best approach. If wealthy buyers want to move to Pilsen, give them a place to go by building very densely in vacant lots/parking lots. This soaks up demand while keeping price/eviction pressure off Pilsen residents.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 3:14 AM
BANNED

Left of Center? Might as well change your name to Right of Center!

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
It IS a spruced up parking garage lol

I think it looks fine. For a parking garage.
Haha lol. Oops!

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 3:19 AM

First of all, if they really wanted to make a greater mark, they'd probably do something like a percentage and charge that, not some flat fee. With that being said, I suspect some of these aldermen and community leaders deal in dollar amounts that they think are large, but really aren't. As if $45,000 is going to deter a developer building 9 condos that are probably on average $400K or $500K+. As others have said, it'll just be absorbed into the cost of a unit, but it won't increase the price of each unit that much. Maybe $15K each increase? Hey maybe that would even make some developers go for something denser in these sites? Who knows.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Not to get too off-topic, but here's a recently completed parking garage by two old professors of mine that looks pretty cool...and is a relatively easy concept to build and install:

https://www.archpaper.com/2021/03/iw...garage-facade/

Point being, even parking garage exteriors can be well-thought out/interesting-looking, and inexpensively executed.
Not sure if it was inexpensive - also not sure how it will age - but the kinetic wall on Gr333n is kick ass.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:17 PM

New construction building permit was issued for 4600 N Kenmore (Kenmore and Wilson), the surface parking lot next to the future home of Double Door. On the other side of that building was the City Sports which has been demolished for another residential project.

This one permitted for a new 5 story building with 62 units and ground floor retail. Original plans were for an 8 story building. Height cut sucks but good to see another surface lot bite the dust..

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:27 PM

Community Meeting: Zoning Change M1-2 to B3-3 (Planned Development) 1320 W Fullerton

From Alderman Hopkins yesterday evening:

Quote:
Dear Neighbor,

Lakeshore Sport & Fitness will be presenting a plan to the community on Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 6:00 PM via Zoom for a zoning change request at 1320 W Fullerton Avenue. The proposal includes a zoning change from M1-2 to B3-3 as part of a Planned Development.

The new project would redevelop the property along Fullerton Avenue into a 14-story building featuring residential apartments, rooftop amenities and expanded facilities for Lakeshore Sport & Fitness.

Zoom meeting details will be sent out on the morning of Tuesday, May 25, 2021. https://forms.gle/98e6XCQoFBs8wT5z6

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:16 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
The 45k that the developer has to pay for the demo will simply manifest itself in higher condo prices/apartment rents. This, combined with less housing supply since the 15k demo fees will create a drag on new development will simply serve to increase the cost of housing and thus hasten gentrification.

I'm all for not driving out existing residents, but this might not be the best approach. If wealthy buyers want to move to Pilsen, give them a place to go by building very densely in vacant lots/parking lots. This soaks up demand while keeping price/eviction pressure off Pilsen residents.

Common sense prevails over political leanings

I think we all understand basic economics, and come to the conclusion that some of the bone-headed ideas that these Aldermen come up with just.....make no sense when you think about it

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post

This data was discussed before, but the official paper just dropped. In eleven cities over five years, new, large, market-rate apartments constructed in low-income areas *reduced* the rent in nearby existing units.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:48 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
a zoning change request at 1320 W Fullerton Avenue. The proposal includes a zoning change from M1-2 to B3-3 as part of a Planned Development.

The new project would redevelop the property along Fullerton Avenue into a 14-story building featuring residential apartments, rooftop amenities and expanded facilities for Lakeshore Sport & Fitness.
This is a fugly ham-handed attempt at traditional design. Looks like it might be precast. Ugh, but what can you expect from Lincoln Park?

No way this gets approved without a big chop.

It seems a little out of place there, too... plenty of places I would encourage density on the North Side but this just seems a bit too far from frequent transit or walkable commercial corridors. But it's probably convenient for DePaul students, I assume that's the target market. And if Lincoln Yards develops as an employment hub, it will be convenient to that.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 2:58 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Lol, such a success! Replacing 17 units with 9! Byron you should be so proud! Good thing that $45k will buy us 1/10th of an affordable unit at the price that your buddy Carlos just paid to build the Prisonview Arms at Logan Square!

This city is run by literal idiots...
This is bad reporting from Crains. The fee is $5000 per unit demolished, but no less than $15,000. So if there are truly 17 legal units, the fee would be $85000. Or, if the fee amount is correct, that means the existing buildings contain no more than 9 units. It's also possible that the developer is lying about the number of units demolished, but that would hopefully warrant some follow-up from the reporter.

Also, I hate to give Sigcho and Rosa any credit but they both argued for the fee to be much higher. This is the compromise that was able to pass, and it will sunset in April 2022 unless Council extends it.

9 new units is very disappointing, though they can't build any more than that on a triple lot in B3-2 without getting a zoning change past the alderman and doing affordable units. Sigcho basically won't back zoning changes anywhere, unless it's for a nonprofit, and he even puts them through the wringer.

Last edited by ardecila; May 11, 2021 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This is a fugly ham-handed attempt at traditional design. Looks like it might be precast. Ugh, but what can you expect from Lincoln Park?

No way this gets approved without a big chop.

It seems a little out of place there, too... plenty of places I would encourage density on the North Side but this just seems a bit too far from frequent transit or walkable commercial corridors. But it's probably convenient for DePaul students, I assume that's the target market. And if Lincoln Yards develops as an employment hub, it will be convenient to that.
Eh it's just under 0.5 miles from the Fullerton Red Line Station- interesting to see if they actually take advantage of TOD

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 3:33 PM

Say what you will about that Fullerton building design but it still beats the shit out of what's there currently.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:02 PM
you know where I'll be

1320 W. Fullerton

Dear.
Lord.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development