HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
You're correct, I think some are jumping the gun not realizing that the building exterior hasn't been completed yet, the fins haven't been installed yet.
that's what i did at first, but taking another look at the rendering proved that the building is not completly finished.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:47 PM

The facade system is just like that on the El Centro building, no fins are put on until the glass is fully in place.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:06 PM

Hmmm... maybe I'm jumping the gun on 701 N Western too?

EDIT: I knew I saw this somewhere.. and it was on MLS (under 707 N Western).

I think this one is an ole bait and switch....

EDIT2: Maybe the bait and switch is still on... http://www.prodanrealty.com/707western-1 I have to imagine the current listings on MLS would be most accurate (rather than developer's website).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 6:45 PM
Plenary pleasures.

No, I think you're right on this one ^^, sadly.

Although the realistic version looks decent, it would have been nice to see that pretty unique, zig-zag exterior configuration. Oh well..

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 7:09 PM

^^^Whaaat? That sux if we are not getting the zig-zag building. How can a developer do that and get away with it? Dont they have to build what is approved to be built?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
^^^Whaaat? That sux if we are not getting the zig-zag building. How can a developer do that and get away with it? Dont they have to build what is approved to be built?
First, the renderings we saw of the spiderweb building were not construction documents. Nothing was approved by anybody. They were just some renderings off a web page that Curbed picked up on. Probably just pie in the sky and more likely put up to attract investors than owners. Remember, Curbed also pointed out that these same people also had a couple of designs for Grand and Western that were gleebed from other buildings.

But, the answer to your question is no. Unless some other contractual obligation limits him, like a type 1 zoning, planned development or a restrictive covenant, a developer can build anything he can get a permit for. Even then, exterior treatments are only really restricted in landmark districts and covenants.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 6:57 PM

For some weekend fun, I'm going to put together a map for Curbed of downtown's worst surface parking lots that need to get developed asap. Feel free to nominate your own.

Fortunately, most of the ones I can think of off the top of my head already have plans for development, but there are a few stragglers. I'm also going to include surface lots that are part of businesses, like Ed Debevics and Rock & Roll McDonalds.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 7:26 PM
The City

^ the Holy Name Cathedral lot. I hate that one with so much passion!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ the Holy Name Cathedral lot. I hate that one with so much passion!
Yep - both of them actually (like the one adjacent to Dearborn). Those lots are so incredibly prime it's not even funny. The Archdiocese could probably get at least $200M for those I'm betting. That lot of land at Walton & State just a few blocks north, which is much smaller, fetched $70M by itself

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 10:37 PM
TL;DR

The Catholic Church has been in cities for 2000 years, I'm not sure they feel the pressure to sell regardless of land values. They will hang onto that lot until they no longer have a need for parking at the city's chief cathedral... and that might take awhile.

What I would love to see is the Archdiocese undertake a building campaign for a replacement for Holy Name, on that lot. Rafael Moneo's Cathedral of our Lady of the Angels in LA is truly lofty and inspirational, a fitting spiritual center for a modern megalopolis. The plaza alongside it is a great civic space.

Holy Name isn't even the grandest church in Chicago... It feels like a second-rate neighborhood church in Bridgeport. Its most dignified neighbors are a McDonalds and a Dunkin Donuts. Surely we can do better.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
For some weekend fun, I'm going to put together a map for Curbed of downtown's worst surface parking lots that need to get developed asap. Feel free to nominate your own.

Fortunately, most of the ones I can think of off the top of my head already have plans for development, but there are a few stragglers. I'm also going to include surface lots that are part of businesses, like Ed Debevics and Rock & Roll McDonalds.
Just march South down Wabash from Jackson. There might be curse on the damn street or something.

Wabash/Van Buren - 3 corner surface lots
Wabash/Harrison - 2 corner surface lots
Wabash/8th - 2 corner surface lots, 1 corner parking garage
Wabash/9th - 2 corner surface lots
Wabash/Roosevelt - Jewel parking lot and BP station on 2 corners

Also, 1000 South Michigan Ave.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The Catholic Church has been in cities for 2000 years, I'm not sure they feel the pressure to sell regardless of land values. They will hang onto that lot until they no longer have a need for parking at the city's chief cathedral... and that might take awhile.

What I would love to see is the Archdiocese undertake a building campaign for a replacement for Holy Name, on that lot. Rafael Moneo's Cathedral of our Lady of the Angels in LA is truly lofty and inspirational, a fitting spiritual center for a modern megalopolis. The plaza alongside it is a great civic space.

Holy Name isn't even the grandest church in Chicago... It feels like a second-rate neighborhood church in Bridgeport. Its most dignified neighbors are a McDonalds and a Dunkin Donuts. Surely we can do better.

Agreed 100%. The only credible reason to call it a "cathedral" is that it is the seat of an archbishopric. The design is based on a very dowdy country church.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 1:24 AM
THAT Guy

Division and Clybourn

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 2:34 AM
The City

^. Hell yes! The design in this area of town keeps getting better

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 2:46 AM

maybe im missing whats so great about it outside of the basics? if nothing else, i wish it would take a true flatiron form at that intersection instead of a sure to be perpetually underutilized "plaza"

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

I agree that they probably don't care about land values. In any case, no it's not the best cathedral in town from the outside, but the inside is pretty good for something in the US. A lot better than many churches in Chicago.

The best looking church I've been to is still Our Lady of Sorrows in East Garfield Park.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 2:50 AM

The Clybourn/Division one isn't bad - not perfect but not bad. It's next to this new, small building too so at least it has a little bit of context

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9037...Q4urKXIu3A!2e0

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 2:52 AM

i dont know what you guys are talking about, HNC is swanky by just about any measure. and quite honestly, for an institution that is supposed to stand up for the poor and underprivileged, it still feels incongrous with that mission IMO. One of my many issues with the Catholic church...

but architecturally speaking, a lot of the foofy interior ornament (not just HNC, but all roman catholic churches) was stripped out post Second Vatican Council. the remodeling left it somewhat sterile.

for example, all the murals were replaced with marble

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/Hat...20int.jpg.html

http://www.angeleyesphotographyblog....n-avenue-3.jpg

the original stained glass windows were removed as well

Last edited by Via Chicago; Mar 15, 2015 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:09 AM

I always liked the cathedrals door. I always thought the fix for the lot would be for the church to tear down all its other buildings on the block of the church...turn it into green space. Build a new school and offices on the parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:11 AM

Basecamp River North update:

All photos courtesy of Basecamp RN FB page from the past 5 weeks.

Also of particular interest:

Quote:
Basecamp River North is sold out but register now for a sneak preview of Ranquist Development Group's latest single family homes, Basecamp Old Irving Park!
Does anyone have a guess where this is going? Im having a hard time spotting an area of OIP where you could stick a few dozen high end townhomes

Edit - Ranquist's website has a single image as a 'sneak peak' for Basecamp OIP, and it is going to be 48 Detached SFH... still no clue on the whereabouts

Last edited by untitledreality; Mar 15, 2015 at 3:24 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development