HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Is this a serious post?

Great art museums are great because they have great art. Not because they offer random people painting classes
Yes, do you know they run a school?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:31 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Yes, do you know they run a school?
Yes, one of the top fine art schools in America.

If you want to take painting classes you have lots of options. Enrolling in the School of the Art Institute of Chicago is not something every Joe Schmoe is entitled to.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:33 PM
The City

The West Loop has now joined an elite group of Chicago area neighborhoods:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...lion-home-club

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
The West Loop has now joined an elite group of Chicago area neighborhoods:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...lion-home-club
It's the developer...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:

If you want to take painting classes you have lots of options. Enrolling in the School of the Art Institute of Chicago is not something every Joe Schmoe is entitled to.
So your saying only the rich elite or people that take out massive loans should be allowed to learn art there?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:49 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
So your saying only the rich elite or people that take out massive loans should be allowed to learn art there?
I'm not sure where you're going with this. This is not a SAIC thing, you are asking a much larger question about the cost of a University degree at the most prestigious private institutions.

Here is a list of top Art Schools in the nation and their tuitions from 2017:

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-...-united-states

Take up your beef with all 15 of them..

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:54 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
It's the developer...
Do you actually know this or are you speculating?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 8:24 PM

edit: dont want this to go OT

Last edited by Via Chicago; Sep 11, 2019 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 12:47 AM

60-Unit Affordable Housing Building Planned Near California Pink Line Station In Little Village
https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/09...ittle-village/

Looks like an adaptive reuse, cool.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:17 AM

Quote:

The one person I know with a degree from AIC cleared over a million dollars last year as an editor for a fashion magazine in NYC. This ain't Columbia College...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
60-Unit Affordable Housing Building Planned Near California Pink Line Station In Little Village
https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/09...ittle-village/

Looks like an adaptive reuse, cool.
This is a really cool building. I own a property across the alley and have toured this one several times. I wanted to buy it, but the current owner is a bit of a loony. Will be interesting to see if this actually gets done or if the owner blows up the deal somehow. I'm frankly shocked they agreed to a deal where the buyer has a zoning contingency.

It's funny, I also picked up buildings a block away that ressurection project had under contract and then caught fire causing them to walk. If they can pull it off, this is wayyy better than the current situation which is a building that's been vacant for 40 years.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 12:52 PM

40 years?? That's nuts. I hope that neighborhood sees some real action soon. 16 minutes on the pink line to the west loop! It should be booming.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:53 PM

it is booming, walk down 26th on a weekend. its the highest second grossing commercial corridor behind michigan ave. a very active and engaged community is already there and has been for a long time.

that said im thrilled an old warehouse is getting reused and going to affordable housing, that seems like the best possible outcome.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Do you actually know this or are you speculating?
A source, who's working on the project.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
it is booming, walk down 26th on a weekend. its the highest second grossing commercial corridor behind michigan ave. a very active and engaged community is already there and has been for a long time.

that said im thrilled an old warehouse is getting reused and going to affordable housing, that seems like the best possible outcome.
It's fair to retort that LV is booming, but there is also a ton of vacancy and abandonment if you know where to look, particularly on the fringes of the neighborhood. I'd say that every block in LV has at least one or two abandoned or partially abandoned properties. The area can and will be so much more particularly as the Mexican American immigrant community continues to mature into the next generation of the American Middle Class. The goal needs to be creating outlets for that demographic transition. We need to offer housing and amenities in Little Village that keep the next generation there for the long term.

Too many immigrant communities evaporate in Chicago because the children don't want to come back to the communities they were born and raised in because they don't want to deal with the things their parents put up with to give them a better life. The goal in LV should be not to change the nature of the community, but to keep the community dynamic enough that the 22 year old first person in their family to graduate college always wants to come back.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:30 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It's fair to retort that LV is booming, but there is also a ton of vacancy and abandonment if you know where to look, particularly on the fringes of the neighborhood. I'd say that every block in LV has at least one or two abandoned or partially abandoned properties. The area can and will be so much more particularly as the Mexican American immigrant community continues to mature into the next generation of the American Middle Class. The goal needs to be creating outlets for that demographic transition. We need to offer housing and amenities in Little Village that keep the next generation there for the long term.

Too many immigrant communities evaporate in Chicago because the children don't want to come back to the communities they were born and raised in because they don't want to deal with the things their parents put up with to give them a better life. The goal in LV should be not to change the nature of the community, but to keep the community dynamic enough that the 22 year old first person in their family to graduate college always wants to come back.
What's happening in Pilsen is a bit of a window into what the future of LV could hold.

Yes, a lot of white college grads are renting there, but at least a decent and regular proportion of my tenants are Latino youngsters who grew up in the area, got an education, and want to get an apartment there.

I'm not saying for sure that that is the future for LV, but as the rents keep rising in Pilsen and as the Pink Line becomes a more valuable train route towards a large number of jobs, it's probably the closest thing we have for a crystal ball of what LV's future might hold.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:03 PM

Fulton Market food processor puts big property on the market

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...roperty-market

Quote:
One of the few food processing companies that have stuck around the Fulton Market District in recent years is finally looking to cash out. But it wants to hang onto its land there, too.

Hoping to capitalize on soaring property values and developers' appetite to build in the gritty-turned-trendy neighborhood, jerky and sausage product maker Bridgford Foods aims to lease its food processing plant at 170 N. Green St. to a buyer who could redevelop it, according to a statement from brokerage CBRE, which is marketing the property.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:10 PM

One of the last pieces of the puzzle. I'd wager this turns into another office tower like its neighbors or a luxury apartment building named "The Bridgeford."

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:42 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

Completely agree. I hope the neighborhood will evolve in that sort of balanced and dynamic fashion.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:45 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
A source, who's working on the project.

Well, that's a bit of sneaky positive press for a project that seems to me to be a surprisingly very slow seller.

Building completed (not sure exactly how long ago, but it must be quite recent). Units for sale at least as far back as early-mid 2017, from article. As of now just 6 of 22 total units are sold, per article.

Hmmm. With this prime residential location, I wonder why this one is so slow? Poorly priced? Something else?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
One of the last pieces of the puzzle. I'd wager this turns into another office tower like its neighbors or a luxury apartment building named "The Bridgeford."
I would expect this to move fast if not for the deal that they keep ownership of the land. I expect that will turn off a lot of the big developers? Or am I wrong...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development