HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 12:12 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
GM will introduce EV Chevy Equinox priced at $30,000 for the masses for 2024 model . GM also announced 175,000 unit EV fleet sale to Hertz rental cars.
Will Hertz demand you bring back your rental EV with a "topped up" battery then?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 9:45 PM

Thieves cut, steal cables from B.C. Tesla charger station

The criminals were likely looking to trade the copper inside the cables for cash at a metal scrappers

Author of the article:Coleman Molnar
Publishing date:Sep 23, 2022

https://driving.ca/auto-news/local-c...harger-station

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 9:47 PM

some people just have a hate on for EVs?

Tesla Supercharger in Quebec blocked by idling pickup truck and Lamborghini [Video]
September 12, 2022 Darryn John

https://driveteslacanada.ca/supercha...orghini-video/

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 11:41 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

Here in Vancouver I think the tow trucks could be there before the driver got back.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 2:22 PM
Cap the Cut!

I don't know why people buy expensive vehicles. So often the windows are so distorted that the drivers can't see the no parking or restricted parking signs, the speedometres don't seem to work right and the signal lights are completely inoperable.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
I don't know why people buy expensive vehicles. So often the windows are so distorted that the drivers can't see the no parking or restricted parking signs, the speedometres don't seem to work right and the signal lights are completely inoperable.
LMAO what?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
These people should have spent their money on penis enlargement surgery instead of those vehicles.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
LMAO what?
I believe he was being sarcastic.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 7:49 PM

This is interesting. :

Canada Infrastructure Bank puts up $500-million to triple EV charging stations
ANDREW WILLIS
PUBLISHED 8 HOURS AGO

The Canada Infrastructure Bank has launched a $500-million program to triple the number of electric vehicle charger stations in Canada, the latest in a string of investments that has seen the Crown corporation invest $7.6-billion in 40 projects.

There are currently 22,000 charging stations across the country. CIB chief executive Ehren Cory unveiled details on Wednesday of a two- to three-year strategy to finance an additional 50,000 public chargers during a speech to the Canadian Club in Toronto.

Mr. Cory said in an interview that the CIB will lend to private-sector companies installing charging stations, refrain from charging interest until units are operational, then receive extra interest payments if utilization exceeds preset thresholds. He said the Toronto-based bank can serve a “public good” by speeding expansion of charging networks into spaces such as shopping malls and grocery stores, which will drive demand for electric cars and in turn lower greenhouse gas emissions...

... The CIB is also looking for opportunities to invest in hydrogen charging stations, which have the potential to power industrial vehicles such as trucks, buses and equipment on mining sites. There are currently just six hydrogen refuelling stations installed in Canada...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...tructure-bank/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 7:59 PM

I've been arguing forever that charging networks should be built at grocery stores. It's the one place where virtually everybody goes and spends about a half hour every week. They also usually have decent power supply to the premises. Europe has already gone in that direction. It's so strange, it didn't take off in North America.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Sep 28, 2022 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I've been arguing forever that charging networks should be built at grocery stores. It's the one place where virtually everybody grows and spends about a half hour every week. They also usually have decent power supply to the premises. Europe has already gone in that direction. It's so strange, it didn't take off in North America.
Electrify America stations are built at Walmarts and Targets for the most part aren't they? Same idea.

Canadian Tire was going to built out a network of them too... I'm not sure where that's at.

Tesla used to deploy Superchargers "wherever they could" but I think they are in better proximity to amenities now, in malls and plazas.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 8:08 PM

Quote:
I've been arguing forever that charging networks should be built at grocery stores. It's the one place where virtually everybody grows and spends about a half hour every week. They also usually have decent power supply to the premises. Europe has already gone in that direction. It's so strange, it didn't take off in North America.
Agree with this. The gas station/convenience store model doesn't make sense for electric charging. Put the chargers where people are typically spending 20+ minutes parked anyway. And there are lots of those places.

Surprised more large retail hasn't gotten into this yet. They can make easy money just selling electricity..

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Agree with this. The gas station/convenience store model doesn't make sense for electric charging. Put the chargers where people are typically spending 20+ minutes parked anyway. And there are lots of those places.

Surprised more large retail hasn't gotten into this yet. They can make easy money just selling electricity..
Yeah this is a no-brainer. Tesla has many of their chargers at malls already, as well as big commercial plazas. It would be nice to see this continue on a bigger scale. I remember driving from Barrie to Montreal with my Tesla and my car stopped me in Belleville. The stations there are in the mall parking lot. It allowed everyone in the car to stop for lunch at the food court, use the bathroom, walk around. Car went from 12% to 95% in 28 minutes.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:15 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
I've been arguing forever that charging networks should be built at grocery stores. It's the one place where virtually everybody goes and spends about a half hour every week. They also usually have decent power supply to the premises. Europe has already gone in that direction. It's so strange, it didn't take off in North America.
That's a great idea.
Every giant grocery store, big box (Walmart, Home Depot etc) has a huge parking lot where they could put a big row of a couple dozen charging stations.

Hell in Europe, if I recall correctly, the French O&G giant Total was putting in charging stations at existing gas stations throughout the country. An oil and gas company lol

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:17 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Yeah this is a no-brainer. Tesla has many of their chargers at malls already, as well as big commercial plazas. It would be nice to see this continue on a bigger scale. I remember driving from Barrie to Montreal with my Tesla and my car stopped me in Belleville. The stations there are in the mall parking lot. It allowed everyone in the car to stop for lunch at the food court, use the bathroom, walk around. Car went from 12% to 95% in 28 minutes.
Wow. Charging speeds are advancing quite quickly. Travis, How many km range do you average? Model 3 right?

Last edited by Wigs; Sep 29, 2022 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Electrify America stations are built at Walmarts and Targets for the most part aren't they? Same idea.

Canadian Tire was going to built out a network of them too... I'm not sure where that's at.

Tesla used to deploy Superchargers "wherever they could" but I think they are in better proximity to amenities now, in malls and plazas.
Our Canadian Tire has Superchargers.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:07 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Our Canadian Tire has Superchargers.

Every Canadian Tire should do the same. Those parking lots are massive. you could fit many in every store parking lot
And let's face it, the newest stores are so massive most people end up spending 25-30 minutes in there anyway heheh

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:18 AM

Chargers at Canadian Tire are not super useful. How often do you go to Canadian Tire?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Chargers at Canadian Tire are not super useful. How often do you go to Canadian Tire?
You should hang out on RedFlagDeals; there's almost always a reason to visit CT for all those things you never knew you absolutley needed...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:28 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

If I may provide a slightly different take...

I would say that it's most important to have charging infrastructure in places where out-of-town travellers tend to pass or stop: highway interchanges, hotels, tourist attractions, etc.

Stuff that is primarily used by locals like grocery stores or Canadian Tire? Not so much.

Here's why:

I've had an electric car since earlier this summer.

I've never charged a single time anywhere other than my home when travelling around in the Ottawa-Gatineau metro area.

I always have a couple hundred km of range on my vehicle and even bopping around the more distant reaches of the region it never really goes down enough that I can't easily make it home and charge here.

Charging at a public charge is still less expensive than gas, but charging at home is *almost* free.

If I am on a road trip I am typically going to stop to charge somewhere near a highway interchange or junction. I am not going to get off the highway and drive into town to charge at an IGA or a Canadian Tire. Though I might stop there if they happen to be very close to the highway.

So yes there should be more chargers everywhere but most people will:

a) charge at home all the time in the region where they live

b) seek out chargers along specific corridors and in specific locations when travelling outside their home region

(Yes, I realize that not every electric vehicle owner has a home charger. But my guess is that the vast majority do, but that apartment dwellers may be less likely to have electric cars, unless their building has chargers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada