HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 6:15 PM
DENNAB

Not my favorite building this cycle but it's grown on me.

I think it tries too hard to be art deco

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

I feel like it’s a bit hit or miss depending on the view. If you’re looking at it from a western perspective it’s dull except for its height. But the eastern side is much more complex, layered and more interesting. I like the stone facade though, it’s refrehing from the glass only exteriors we see so much. But the height never hurts enjoying it! Haha

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 3:27 PM

Love that blank wall at street level.... mmmmm...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Love that blank wall at street level.... mmmmm...
I really like the blank wall facing the park. I also like the odd banding effect of the "bronze" details. Makes it look like some kind of beige bee.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 4:52 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTx2Chi View Post
I feel like it’s a bit hit or miss depending on the view. If you’re looking at it from a western perspective it’s dull except for its height. But the eastern side is much more complex, layered and more interesting. I like the stone facade though, it’s refrehing from the glass only exteriors we see so much. But the height never hurts enjoying it! Haha
In my amateur opinion, the more “deco” east facade is more “honest” to the style, isn’t it?

The stepping back of the building to the east reflects that it faces a public street, so as not to overwhelm. The west faces a park, hence that wouldn’t be necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 4:55 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I really like the blank wall facing the park. I also like the odd banding effect of the "bronze" details. Makes it look like some kind of beige bee.
I don't think the park side will be too visible once they add trees and landscaping, but yes it would have been preferable to maybe have some active spaces like a cafe. But since I believe this building has no retail, the street side also suffers and ends up looking like a bunker for the rich. I guess this is the edge of Streeterville so who cares....

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 12:29 AM
TL;DR

^Yeah style aside, the urbanity of this building kinda sucks. Two separate lobbies for condos and rentals, plus two separate porte-cochere/dropoff zones. No room for retail after that.

At least the building benefits from underground parking, so the 2nd/3rd floors are pure amenity zones with real windows.

On the other hand, look at the old-school 1920s towers in the Gold Coast or along Lake Shore Drive. No retail in those buildings, either. It's very rare.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 12:33 AM
Development Shill

I'd imagine they'd put some shrubbery and ivy on the blank wall anyway. Shouldn't be an issue upon completion this spring

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 10:14 AM

I believe that DTx2Chi was referring to the entirety of the western facade, not just the lower park portion. That side is boring with only a single setback nearly all the way to the top.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 4:02 PM

The oddly placed "brown/bronze" framing on the windows really throws me off, especially since it doesn't go to the top.

I can't hate this building, but I can't love it either..

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 8:30 PM

It's clearly unfinished. Better to judge it when all the pieces are in place.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
The oddly placed "brown/bronze" framing on the windows really throws me off, especially since it doesn't go to the top.
yea cant say i understand the point or logic of this other than the apparent fad of trying to make facades appear "random"

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 12:29 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

My thoughts exactly.

It unfortunately looks pretty atrocious from the pedestrian level, especially by Illinois/Peshtigo intersection. Blank walls that are broken up only by the garage exit/entrance ramps. How are we supposed to give Streeterville a better pedestrian experience if we keep giving developers a pass on street level design?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 1:04 AM
The City

You guys are just way too critical of this project. Seriously...

This is about the best way to visually break up dead street level space—far better than anything a modernist structure can do. Not every ground level space needs retail, and I don’t think it makes a lot of sense in this location.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 1:07 AM

Nov 26

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
You guys are just way too critical of this project. Seriously...

This is about the best way to visually break up dead street level space—far better than anything a modernist structure can do. Not every ground level space needs retail, and I don’t think it makes a lot of sense in this location.
I agree on all points TUP. It can get bothersome reading people regurgitate the same talking points over and over, like the retail space comments... Does having a 7/11 make something have better street presence? Not in my book

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 1:56 AM
All-American City Boy

I hope Stern comes back and does more like this in Chicago. There's a few minor adjustments that could be made to improve it visually, but nothing that significantly hurts the project.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 2:37 AM

actively wanting another one of these is like actively wanting another LaGrange. i simply dont see what there is to get excited about. of course this wouldnt be as bad if it used limestone all the way up etc., but that requires denial of reality and and blindness to how these projects always turn out which is half assed VE-d approximations of good buildings that never deliver on their initial promise.

its not good, its not bad, its just "whatever". from a stret level POV i coudnt imagine having a strong opinion about this building one way or the other. it fills space, im never going to live in it, it vaguely resembles a better building that would have been built 60 years ago, the base largely consists of garage doors and curb cuts, the cheap use of concrete all the way up is readily apparent and will become even moreso with age...what else am i supposed to feel here?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 3:02 AM

At this point i just hope the crown is lit so at least it can add something of value to our skyline!

Chicago is going to feel different once the new inept mayor is sworn in and god i hope its not Chief Wiggum!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
In my amateur opinion, the more “deco” east facade is more “honest” to the style, isn’t it?

The stepping back of the building to the east reflects that it faces a public street, so as not to overwhelm. The west faces a park, hence that wouldn’t be necessary.

It might be from it facing a park. I feel like if they were to make it symmetrical and more closely follow the art deco movement if may have too closely resembled it and made it look kitschy. But it's definitely better than the NBC tower, that is for sure. The whole neo art deco movement in Chicago right now is interesting though, especially with OSC and Wolf Point since those are covered in glass and a bit more conservative as a result

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive