HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I was wondering when we'd hear about this again. New art museum coming to Fishtown.

The West Collection in Fishtown Moving Forward with an Updated Plan
Superb project! This is going to look great.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 7:23 PM

Facade Rises At Ovation Aka Broad Street Flats At 701 South Broad Street In Hawthorne

Project rendering:

Current progress:

Quote:
A recent site visit by Philly YIMBY has discovered notable construction visit at Broad Street Flats, a seven-story mixed-use development rising at 701 South Broad Street in Hawthorne, South Philadelphia, since our last visit in April. Furthermore, a recent zoning submission indicates that the project’s name has been updated to Ovation, though the Broad Street Flats moniker also appears retained, at least for the time being. Designed by PZS Architects, the building will span 50,462 square feet (or 49,950 according to zoning blueprints) and feature commercial space and 50 residential units. Permits list Ferraro Construction Group as the contractor and a construction cost of $8 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/08/faca...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 7:25 PM

Permits Issued For 34 North 40th Street In West Powelton

Project massing:

Current site:

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a four-story, 16-unit condominium building at 34 North 40th Street in West Powelton, West Philadelphia. Designed by Harman Deutsch Ohler Architecture, the new building will span 4,222 square feet and feature a cellar and a roof deck. Construction costs are listed at $2.12 million.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/08/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 7:32 PM

YIMBY Shares Interior Renderings For UPenn’s Amy Gutmann Hall In University City

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/08/yimb...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 7:44 PM

Permits Issued For 748 North 40th Street In Belmont, West Philadelphia

Building massing:

Current site:

Quote:
Permits have been issued for the construction of a three-story, 12-unit residential building at 717 North 35th Street in Belmont, West Philadelphia. The development will replace a vacant lot on the west side of the block between Aspen and Brown streets. Designed by Haverford Square Designs, the building will feature parking for four bicycles, a basement, and a large roof deck reserved for the penthouse unit. Permits list Eugene Naydovich of Fitler Development as the contractor and a construction cost of $500,000.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/08/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
The amount of half-block/block size projects going up past York-Dauphin station and even around Huntingdon is insane. They are all really visible from the EL too which is great to see. I imagine the junkies and dealers in Kensington will soon be pushed out as new residents move in/ property value increases.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
The amount of half-block/block size projects going up past York-Dauphin station and even around Huntingdon is insane. They are all really visible from the EL too which is great to see. I imagine the junkies and dealers in Kensington will soon be pushed out as new residents move in/ property value increases.
In all seriousness, though. Where will they go?

I doubt they'll be pushed anywhere. Maybe just more prominently west of the El.

TBH, this has been bothering me a lot lately. It's time for the city to do something drastic about this. Like, round these junkies up and give them one way tickets to momma's house.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

TBH, this has been bothering me a lot lately. It's time for the city to do something drastic about this. Like, round these junkies up and give them one way tickets to momma's house.
It really can't be overstated how terrible of a job Maria Quiñones-Sánchez has done as a council member. No plan, no goals, no hope - should be her, Kendra Brooks, Jamie Gauthier, and Helen Gym's slogan.

Their political philosophy boils down to "hope and prayers", no different than how the GOP governs on gun violence. It's a philosophy that has been born out extreme entitlement and privilege.

Philadelphia has a lot of, what I like to call, 'circular' problems. Where one problem leads to another which leads to another which leads back to causing the initial problem and the cycle repeats.

This is the type of thing that pisses me off:

She has done NOTHING for 14 years on council. In most regards the northern portion of her district has descended further into hell. The southern portion has improved DESPITE of her not doing a single thing. She's aware that there are break downs in the chains of command and wants to do something about it now because she wants to run for mayor? She should be banned from ever holding public office ever again.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 1:24 PM

Quote:

Although I can only speculate, I imagine a lot of them will be pushed to the margins along the EL both east and west for some time and up towards Frankford and then eventually dispersed back out to the exurbs and down to Baltimore/Wilmington. I can only imagine the problem of the last 5 years will be an afterthought in 10-15yrs just as the LES in NYC has become today.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 2:07 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
It really can't be overstated how terrible of a job Maria Quiñones-Sánchez has done as a council member. No plan, no goals, no hope - should be her, Kendra Brooks, Jamie Gauthier, and Helen Gym's slogan.

Their political philosophy boils down to "hope and prayers", no different than how the GOP governs on gun violence. It's a philosophy that has been born out extreme entitlement and privilege.

Philadelphia has a lot of, what I like to call, 'circular' problems. Where one problem leads to another which leads to another which leads back to causing the initial problem and the cycle repeats.

This is the type of thing that pisses me off:

She has done NOTHING for 14 years on council. In most regards the northern portion of her district has descended further into hell. The southern portion has improved DESPITE of her not doing a single thing. She's aware that there are break downs in the chains of command and wants to do something about it now because she wants to run for mayor? She should be banned from ever holding public office ever again.
You are correct and there's many issues that follow this pattern:

Leaders: "This is awful and something needs to be done!"
Citizens: "Yes we have been saying this, do something!"
Leaders: "Who, us? Oh no we can't do anything, sorry. And you need to take responsibility and just try to avoid [insert issue here]."

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 4:38 PM

Bart Blatstein buys Piers 38 and 40 along the Delaware River

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...are-river.html

Quote:
Bart Blatstein’s Tower Investments has acquired Piers 38 and 40 along the Delaware River along with the land in between the two structures for $18 million.

The properties at 775 S. Christopher Columbus Ave. include two buildings on Piers 38 and 40 that each total 180,200 square feet and a 120,000-square-foot surface lot on Pier 39. The properties combined total more than 12 acres to the pierhead line.

“I don’t know 100% what I am going to do with it,” Blatstein said. “I’m kicking ideas around.”
Looking forward to a nice gas station.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 4:40 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:

Sadly as areas of Kensington are redone, people will just keep pushing up the EL and out towards other neighborhoods, until those neighborhoods are just like how under the EL is now. And this process will Rinse, and Repeat which every old section getting redone.

As we see due to the process of gentrification, more people are moving to the older North East homes which are now cheaper then before.

We are seeing a classic cycle where in another 10-20 years it will finally be NE Philly time to gentrify, especially if we get the Roosevelt Blvd Subway we will no doubt see new construction lining the Blvd they may even build some new towers bringing the city element further north.

So like you said this willl be a circular thing until leadership outs their foot on the gas and stops playing around.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 4:41 PM

Blatstein has such a hard-on for building strip malls on the river. I wish he'd get therapy already.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 4:59 PM

Best case scenario is Blatstein partnering with Post Bros again to build something worthwhile. Post Bros haven't had any waterfront projects yet. I think they would do a great job here, definitely better than whatever nonsense Blatstein dreams up.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Looking forward to a nice gas station.
After about a decade....

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 5:06 PM

Can we please have more towers along the river and maybe a couple of restaurants? I will become a nimby if they actually turn it into a parking lot

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Blatstein has such a hard-on for building strip malls on the river. I wish he'd get therapy already.
If he knocked down the historic piers for a strip mall

Thankfully I don't think there's much of a chance for that.

I have long contemplated what should go there and I'm still of the opinion that Philly should go all in on a pair of tourist piers. A mix of a bit of Navy Pier in Chicago with a bit of Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. Especially with the impending Penn's Landing remodel that in theory will displace the 'carnival' section of the current Penn's Landing setup. The Delaware riverfront has so so so much untapped potential. Spruce Harbor, Cherry St., and Race St. piers are a fantastic start.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
If he knocked down the historic piers for a strip mall
I wonder if those structures are historically protected.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 5:37 PM

I feel like the gas station thing has come and gone. He tried and failed fantastically.

The ball's rolling on the development of the waterfront and I feel like the times call for something grand. He does scare me though.

Don't hate me, but I low-key love that Giant on Columbus Ave, tho.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I wonder if those structures are historically protected.
The full article says they tried and failed for historical designation. I can't imagine why it failed. They were built in 1914-1915.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development