HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
My prediction is Regina either doesn't accept the changes needed to get the $35M, or we get it but they have to pay it back because we didn't meet our end of the bargain.

Based on the absolute riot from trying to build a nice four story condo on 13th avenue years ago, or the new proposed building close to Douglas Ave. I can't see City Council being tough enough to allow for higher density. I hope I am wrong but, I just can't see it happening.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...fund-1.7169933
Even if the City of Regina does all that it is required to do to secure the $35M from the infrastructure funding for housing, the province may end up wiping it out.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ding-1.7162445

Alberta is already looking at preventing the federal government from dealing directly with municipal governments. It would be nice to see some cooperation for the benefit of the cities/municipalities.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...ing-agreements

Scott Moe and Danielle Smith would rather scuttle the deal than be seen to be cooperating with Justin Trudeau who is essentially poking the bear in two provinces where his popularity isn't too high. It's all political b/s.

Last edited by RobD; Apr 12, 2024 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 9:10 PM

Road base is started to get stockpiled just south of the rail crossing on Pinkie Road for the road rebuild.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 2:11 PM

I had assumed that temporary storm water bypass in Wascana Park would have been gone by spring. Turns out they haven't even designed a permanent fix yet, and construction won't be until next year.
https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...hroughout-2024

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:31 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...erts-1.7170739
Saskatoon gets bigger musical acts than Regina. Would a new arena for YQR move the needle?

Population and venue size are only part of the issue, says one production company owner

The real idiots are the ones that operate Real They took out $8 million from the federal government for Covid and they weren’t entitled to it now they have to pay it back the dummies of the dummies that just never ends Get rid of that organization and bury it

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...erts-1.7170739
Saskatoon gets bigger musical acts than Regina. Would a new arena for YQR move the needle?

Population and venue size are only part of the issue, says one production company owner

The real idiots are the ones that operate Real They took out $8 million from the federal government for Covid and they weren’t entitled to it now they have to pay it back the dummies of the dummies that just never ends Get rid of that organization and bury it
The worst part is that they have a unionized workforce and could have laid people off who could then have collected CERB. Now they are stuck with having received no CERB and no CEWS.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:00 PM

This Avana project on Windsor Park Rd. immediately east of Canadian Tire has flown under the radar. 234 townhouses in 24 buildings!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 5:37 PM

Thank you Stummer for posting ,That’s pretty amazing. I’m sure there’s a lot of projects like this. Go under the radar. That is a lot of housing.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 8:39 PM

More Avana projects this one’s pretty massive
220 Suite Townhome Project
Regina, Saskatchewan

This 220-suite project is estimated to be completed in Early 2025. These townhomes will be located in Regina’s newly desirable Aurora neighbourhood in east Regina. This new project consists of 21 buildings, The community is in close proximity to Costco, Landmark Cinemas, Staples, and PetSmart, Aurora is the newest regional retail site servicing Regina and surrounding communities as the dominant urban shopping centre offering entertainment, dining, as well as large and small format stores, all in one convenient location.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 8:41 PM

158 Suite Townhome Project
Regina, Saskatchewan

Welcome to Westerra, a fantastic 490-acre community in Regina, Saskatchewan, that’s changing the way we live.With esetimated completed in Late 2024, this 158-suite townhome development is Avana’s first venture in West Regina. This project comprises 16 thoughtfully designed buildings, each housing between four and six stacked suites. This development is close to downtown Regina, where you get the best of both worlds – city life and the peacefulness of a community that’s all about taking care of you.
More Avana

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
This Avana project on Windsor Park Rd. immediately east of Canadian Tire has flown under the radar. 234 townhouses in 24 buildings![/img][/url]
Last time I was past there it was nothing but a road. Multi-story projects have been popping up like weeds over the past few years.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 9:34 PM

That one intersection to enter/leave the Costco area (on Vic) is going to be absolutely clogged once you move in thousands of people.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
That one intersection to enter/leave the Costco area (on Vic) is going to be absolutely clogged once you move in thousands of people.
Eventually Chuka will extend north and there will be another intersection west of that one. There will also be another road going south from Aurora as well, in addition to Chuka.

However, I don't get out that way too much, is it quite busy already?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Eventually Chuka will extend north and there will be another intersection west of that one. There will also be another road going south from Aurora as well, in addition to Chuka.

However, I don't get out that way too much, is it quite busy already?
The roads are quite overbuilt for current traffic volumes so I would not be too worried at this point. Also Aurora Blvd is not not a through road at Vic so that makes left turns easier.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 8:52 PM

Quote:
The roads are quite overbuilt for current traffic volumes so I would not be too worried at this point. Also Aurora Blvd is not not a through road at Vic so that makes left turns easier.
Have you been to Costco on the weekend there? That light can be a 2-3 cycle light just with costco traffic alone...

The original concept plans had no residential as part of it. The zoning was changed last year to allow residential as part of it. Another wonderful...NOT land use planning process to serve as a stop gap to the growing land crisis and subsequent affordability crisis. These are NOT affordable townhomes as professed either if the current stock is any indication.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CattyCommittee View Post
Have you been to Costco on the weekend there? That light can be a 2-3 cycle light just with costco traffic alone...

The original concept plans had no residential as part of it. The zoning was changed last year to allow residential as part of it. Another wonderful...NOT land use planning process to serve as a stop gap to the growing land crisis and subsequent affordability crisis. These are NOT affordable townhomes as professed either if the current stock is any indication.
I tend to avoid Costco on busy days so I guess I missed the traffic. There are twin left turns both turning both on and off Vic so I am surprised, but knowing how bad Regina drivers are at getting lots of cars through intersections on left turns, I am not surprised. One often see a multi-car gap between turning vehicles even where there are dozens waiting to turn.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 11:55 PM

I was looking at Google Earth / Maps and noticed the imagery for most of the city is from last October. The Towns is mostly filled in, so they'll need to add more roads this year. There was a lot of construction in East Brook the last time I was past there (the imagery for there is from 2022). With the Arens intersection upgraded last year, it should get extended to Chuka this season.

https://i.imgur.com/QcOrX8e.jpeg

Also the bases for the new water reservoirs off Fleet: https://i.imgur.com/zOD3Usi.jpeg

Story on the General Parkade: https://www.cjme.com/2024/04/22/regi...to-take-shape/

And Pinkie Road closes on April 30th for the rebuild.

Last edited by gecho111; Apr 23, 2024 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 4:22 PM

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Looks great!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 7:03 PM

Quote:
“We called it The Big Dig. I want to bring that Big Dig energy to Dewdney Avenue and into the Warehouse District,” said Gibbons.

Big dig energy will have them showing you their Regina.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 7:46 PM

The renders look very nice, but the controversial piece will be the elimination of all street parking. This is usual MO of the urbanists and part of their war against the automobile. I can't imagine the businesses supporting this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan