HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
2nd source (RE industry source) CONFIRMED Micron has property under contract in Caldwell Co. I trust this source completely.

This doesn't mean they will "close" on the property, but it is a HUGE step forward in their selection process.

I would say this is 75-90% going to happen S of Lockhart. Given the acute need for microchips worldwide, I can see this moving forward quickly, tax abatements or not. Lockhart has plenty of power, water and wastewater....per their Mayor.

Did some digging around the Micron website, and their jobs list "Austin" as one of the locations certain jobs will be expected to work among others.

"Senior Engineer, Gas Engineer, Global Construction
Boise, Idaho, United States of America • Austin, Texas, United States of America + 1 more

ID: JR10149 "

https://micron.eightfold.ai/careers/...ca&pid=9992574

Can anyone confirm if Micron has a location in the area at present? I can't seem to find one.
Good info scooped on SSP once again.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
Teams Behind Hotel Vegas and Kinda Tropical to Rebrand Spider House Cafe

Many Austinites learned of Spider House Cafe's quiet pandemic closure last week via an Austin American-Statesman headline, though it had been shuttered for nearly a year.

Brian Tweedy says people come by every day thinking the campus-area hangout, which debuted in 1995, is still open. Tweedy joins fellow Hotel Vegas owner Jason McNeely, Yellow Jacket Social Club's Amy Mullins and Shannon LeBoeuf, and the 13th Floor's Johnny Yaklin in launching a new concept in the space. The five are all owners of Kinda Tropical, which boasts one of Austin's best patios, alongside Spider House's former art-filled outdoor space.
Awesome! I haven't made it to Kinda Tropical but Hotel Vegas is one of the best vibes in Austin. Great ownership for Spider House IMO.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
Awesome! I haven't made it to Kinda Tropical but Hotel Vegas is one of the best vibes in Austin. Great ownership for Spider House IMO.
Yeah this is great news. A cocktail program like KT would be pretty significant for that neighborhood. I'm just hoping they maintain the coffeehouse vibes during the day and don't upscale it too much for college students. My favorite thing about spiderhouse, aside from the patio, was the mix of demographics.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 1:24 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Yeah this is great news. A cocktail program like KT would be pretty significant for that neighborhood. I'm just hoping they maintain the coffeehouse vibes during the day and don't upscale it too much for college students. My favorite thing about spiderhouse, aside from the patio, was the mix of demographics.
Austin has a number of spots that manage to swing coffee shop by day, bar by night vibes. I think the secret is turning off the wifi at 5:00.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 4:23 PM

Just putting it out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Forbes says we have 8 billionaires in Austin. Only one less than Toronto, which was a surprise.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=244849
With 8 billionaires in Austin...where is our world class art museum?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
With 8 billionaires in Austin...where is our world class art museum?
I always wonder this. Why are the Moody family the only local people that want to put some money back into the community?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
I always wonder this. Why are the Moody family the only local people that want to put some money back into the community?
I agree...it'd be nice to see more of their names in lights

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 6:19 PM

Michael Dell has donated quite a bit. A couple examples are Dell Children's Hospital and the Jewish Community Center.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 7:42 PM
Resident Moron

One of our richos is actually going to turn his house into a Frick style art museum at some point after his death. It looks *stunning* and the collection is absolutely world-class. Somewhere of 2222 but I don't know how far west.

https://stories.usatodaynetwork.com/...llection/home/

It will be dope. He just needs to be dead first.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 8:13 PM

That property is right by 2222 and 360. At the confluence of Lake Austin and Bull Creek across from Austin Country Club.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYIMBY View Post
That property is right by 2222 and 360. At the confluence of Lake Austin and Bull Creek across from Austin Country Club.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3481...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
One of our richos is actually going to turn his house into a Frick style art museum at some point after his death. It looks *stunning* and the collection is absolutely world-class. Somewhere of 2222 but I don't know how far west.

https://stories.usatodaynetwork.com/...llection/home/

It will be dope. He just needs to be dead first.
David Booth! Yeah, I can't wait til the public can access that; it'll be a really special place.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 5:08 PM

Infineon Technologies planning expansion in Austin, filings show

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...in-austin.html

Paul Thompson – Assistant Managing Editor, Austin Business Journal

Another semiconductor company plans to expand its operations in Central Texas, according to a site plan filed with the city of Austin.

Germany-based Infineon Technologies AG filed Jan. 19 the paperwork proposing “the expansion of existing semiconductor FAB-25 with associated improvements.”

...."Details remain scarce, but the expansion is proposed for 67 acres at 5204 E. Ben White Blvd. in Southeast Austin. The site is the former home of Cypress Semiconductor Corp., which was acquired by Infineon in April 2020."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 5:27 PM
Resident Moron

I continue to be happy I bought a house when I did.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 6:58 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I continue to be happy I bought a house when I did.
Ditto.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 7:06 PM

Silicon Valley’s tech monopoly is over. Is the future in Austin, Texas?

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...nopoly-is-over

DON LEE STAFF WRITER

Found this interesting.

"Over the next 18 to 24 months, Ives said, Tesla is likely to move the R&D and design operations now in Palo Alto to Austin."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreditch View Post
David Booth! Yeah, I can't wait til the public can access that; it'll be a really special place.
I'm not sure if you and Stooge are trying to say this, but this comes off as 'yay, can't wait til this rich guy is dead!'

In one breath this board asks rich people for charity and then in the next wishes they were dead. That's very disturbing thoughts to have and and I'm sure it doesn't make that rich guy feel any better about giving charity. Honestly just a very dark thought to see typed out by skyscraperpage users. Extremely callous.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 12:17 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
...."Details remain scarce, but the expansion is proposed for 67 acres at 5204 E. Ben White Blvd. in Southeast Austin. The site is the former home of Cypress Semiconductor Corp., which was acquired by Infineon in April 2020."
Crazy this is down the street on Oltorf from where I lived when I was there from 2014-'16. That was before Oracle was even in place on Lakeshore...I can't imagine how much more growth is coming in East Riverside in particular.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
I'm not sure if you and Stooge are trying to say this, but this comes off as 'yay, can't wait til this rich guy is dead!'

In one breath this board asks rich people for charity and then in the next wishes they were dead. That's very disturbing thoughts to have and and I'm sure it doesn't make that rich guy feel any better about giving charity. Honestly just a very dark thought to see typed out by skyscraperpage users. Extremely callous.
The terms of how and what Mr. Booth plans to leave behind to the city and public clearly stipulate that this will not happen until his death. So in this instance, yes the charity does not happen until he dies. That could be another 10 to 20+ years.

Want to go see the art on his property right now? You can't... until he's dead.
*He* is setting it up that way. Get over it and stop being so overly sensitive.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
The terms of how and what Mr. Booth plans to leave behind to the city and public clearly stipulate that this will not happen until his death. So in this instance, yes the charity does not happen until he dies. That could be another 10 to 20+ years.

Want to go see the art on his property right now? You can't... until he's dead.
*He* is setting it up that way. Get over it and stop being so overly sensitive.
^ and here we have openly callous

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin