HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 7:15 AM

I understand Glendale wanting a longer term deal. But their logic of paying an “expert” Saying that concerts bring in more money is utterly ridiculous. 41 Coyotes home games, preseason and possible playoffs of 15000 or so fans is very beneficial to the businesses around the arena. Good luck trying to get 20 concerts a year of 10,000 or more people when you have The Footprint Center to compete with, with all the new renovations as well as many other concert venues. Not to mention they are already having some concerts so they better find about 30 concerts total per year. And I bet even though a business might experience more business on a concert night, I’m pretty sure any business likes the consistency of 41 Coyote games, not to mention the employees to have those consistent tips as opposed to a real big night here or there. Hopefully if we get the Tempe arena, Glendale will give them another year or two, otherwise The Mad House! That would be great for business around Encanto, and really the whole Central Phoenix area.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 2:58 PM

I've never run an arena but I'd be interested in seeing their p&l. Coyotes might not be the money maker you think.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 5:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Hopefully if we get the Tempe arena, Glendale will give them another year or two, otherwise The Mad House! That would be great for business around Encanto, and really the whole Central Phoenix area.
If they play at the Mad House for a couple of seasons, that would be awesome because I work on Encanto and 19th Ave. I'll definitely get my hockey fix!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
If they play at the Mad House for a couple of seasons, that would be awesome because I work on Encanto and 19th Ave. I'll definitely get my hockey fix!
The Coliseum is in terrible shape and has no luxury suites/boxes. I don't think the NHL will allow the Coyotes to play there temporarily and any $$$ to upgrade it for a few seasons is a waste.

Glendale has really put the Coyotes in a very difficult position. They need a suitable facility ready in about 12 months for the '22-'23 season. A new building won't be ready until maybe the '24-'25 season...maybe. I think these are the likely short term options provided that current information seems to indicate that Footprint can't accommodate hockey.

1) The NHL moves the Coyotes to another market until the Tempe Arena is completed (and if the Tempe deal fails, they don't return)
2) Meruelo and Bettman return to the City of Glendale on their hands & knees groveling for a short-term extension and a true up on unpaid $$$ to Glendale.

I for once enjoy seeing a professional sports franchise get pushed around by a local government for a change. People like Meruelo must be fuming angry that Glendale has this kind of leverage.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 5:46 PM

Houston would be the only city for relocation because they are moving to the Central division

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 7:37 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide View Post
The Coliseum is in terrible shape and has no luxury suites/boxes. I don't think the NHL will allow the Coyotes to play there temporarily and any $$$ to upgrade it for a few seasons is a waste.
I was half-heartedly joking. I'm well aware of it's condition

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 7:42 PM

Could they go next door to State Farm Stadium temporarily? Cover the upper level seating and still have luxury suites and a cool environment to sell.

Seems like the new ASU Hockey Arena could be a last resort now that they're back on good terms with Tempe/ASU.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 8:55 PM

There was a guy who used to post on this site a lot who seemed to know a lot of sports figures. I forget his name but hoping he might chime in with an answer. I believe the Coyotes will play a season in another city because there aren't any buildings in Phoenix that can easily accommodate them to my knowledge.

Tucson has a 13K capacity arena attached to their convention center. I'm not saying I think that will happen, just throwing it out there.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
There was a guy who used to post on this site a lot who seemed to know a lot of sports figures. I forget his name but hoping he might chime in with an answer. I believe the Coyotes will play a season in another city because there aren't any buildings in Phoenix that can easily accommodate them to my knowledge.

Tucson has a 13K capacity arena attached to their convention center. I'm not saying I think that will happen, just throwing it out there.
Tucson's arena only seats 7,500 with total capacity of 9k to 10k for concerts. It's tiny. McKale is near 15k but they don't let anyone use it for anything anymore it seems.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 9:27 PM

Sounds like I got bad information, thanks for the correction. Will Wells Fargo fit a rink?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Sounds like I got bad information, thanks for the correction. Will Wells Fargo fit a rink?
That a good question I believe it can but the scheduling would be something else.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2021, 11:02 PM

'Footprint Center' aka the Suns' arena seems like it would theoretically be a good option as Yotes used to play there, but Sarver/Suns don't seem to have any interest in that.

Last edited by muertecaza; Aug 21, 2021 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2021, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
'Footprint Center' aka the Suns' arena seems like it would theoretically be a good option as Yotes used to play there, but Sarver/Suns don't seem to have any interest in that.
Can it still accommodate an nhl ice rink? It looked to me like the temporary seats that used to slide out for the hockey rink to fit were removed during the renovation. I could be wrong on that, just judging by what it looked like from a distance.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 11:31 PM
E pluribus unum

Also, would that infamous restricted view seating be a thing if AWA could still accommodate hockey? Sat in those a few times, it was terrible.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Could they go next door to State Farm Stadium temporarily? Cover the upper level seating and still have luxury suites and a cool environment to sell.

Seems like the new ASU Hockey Arena could be a last resort now that they're back on good terms with Tempe/ASU.
Good point, the Pistons played in the silver dome in the 80s for like 10 years. And the Spurs played in the Alamo Dome for like 10 years in the 90s and early 2000s. Thinking even more, the Toronto Raptors played for quite a few years in The Blue Jay’s Stadium.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 12:18 AM

Quote:

I looked that up just now cause I never new that. That place looks very small, is says 8,900 seats. They’ll go to The Madhouse or shoot, Grand Canyon Universities arena before they would go there.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Also, would that infamous restricted view seating be a thing if AWA could still accommodate hockey? Sat in those a few times, it was terrible.
That’s why it would just be a temporary solution. But like the other guy was saying, Idk if the renovations might not make that solution work. Idk, can anyone find out if they are stilling doing Disney on Ice there?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
That’s why it would just be a temporary solution. But like the other guy was saying, Idk if the renovations might not make that solution work. Idk, can anyone find out if they are stilling doing Disney on Ice there?
Disney on Ice's show "Let's Celebrate" will be at Footprint Center from September 30th - October 3rd.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 1:54 AM

Hey maybe Chase field for an alternative spot for the Coyotes. Baseball is over when the season starts.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Hey maybe Chase field for an alternative spot for the Coyotes. Baseball is over when the season starts.
It was planned once before. I don’t recall if it ever happened though…

https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/12...outdoor-hockey

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest