HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9281  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 12:54 AM
Investing In Chicago Investing In Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,240
I work for Amazon, and they sent me like 75 tests a couple weeks ago. I need to upload a negative test in order to check in for my flights, if/when I travel. These at home tests are notorious for false negatives. I've have Covid 3 times so I think I have super powers at this point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9282  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 1:53 AM
Trae's Avatar
Trae Trae is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles and Houston
Posts: 4,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
All the recent papers coming out saying that covid in the last month is associated with a ~fourfold increase in fullterm stillbirth / neonatal death really scared her (though in their samples all the fetal/neonate deaths are in unvaccinated women, these studies are also pre omicron when vaccinated women were less likely to get sick). Probably more dangerous than listeriosis and you can bet she ate absolutely nothing that could be considered risky for that.
COVID or the vaccines? That's where we're at right now. It's interesting how this didn't come out last year before mass vaccinations, and this was when folks were saying this could be a long-term affect, but now conveniently it's blamed on covid. Never has a vaccine been pushed as 100% safe for pregnant women so quickly like this one has. Very scary in fact. Now all of a sudden they want to recognize other issues like the menstrual problems women have had since being vaxxed, whereas a year ago it was called a conspiracy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9283  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:33 AM
dave8721 dave8721 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Miami
Posts: 3,752
I tested positive this morning (as did my 9-year old). I had a fever last night but after about noon today it has just been a runny nose. Its funny because I am the one person in my house that stays home every day. My wife works in a hospital every day (tested negative again today to be sure), my kids go to school every day. I work from home. I probably got in on Saturday when we went down to the Keys for one of those swim with the dolphins things for my daughters birthday. It was all outdoors, but that's the only time me and my 9-year old did anything out together in the last week. 2 days from exposure seems pretty quick to get symptoms though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9284  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 6:30 AM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Carnegie
Posts: 14,720
^
Have you been purposefully this whole time not doing much outside the house with your daughter to avoid getting mildly sick for a day for two years? Hope not.
__________________
Neoliberal Fascists are destroying the Left.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9285  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 6:34 AM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is offline
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Carnegie
Posts: 14,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
COVID or the vaccines? That's where we're at right now. It's interesting how this didn't come out last year before mass vaccinations, and this was when folks were saying this could be a long-term affect, but now conveniently it's blamed on covid. Never has a vaccine been pushed as 100% safe for pregnant women so quickly like this one has. Very scary in fact. Now all of a sudden they want to recognize other issues like the menstrual problems women have had since being vaxxed, whereas a year ago it was called a conspiracy.
Nearly all conspiracy theories for the past two years when it comes to Covid have come true. The story usually goes, omg you believe that, you’re an alt right Trump supporting maniac, then a year or so passes and the media just nonchalantly reports that the “conspiracy” theories were true the whole time and everyone just forgets about it.
__________________
Neoliberal Fascists are destroying the Left.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9286  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 2:13 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
I tested positive this morning (as did my 9-year old). I had a fever last night but after about noon today it has just been a runny nose. Its funny because I am the one person in my house that stays home every day. My wife works in a hospital every day (tested negative again today to be sure), my kids go to school every day. I work from home. I probably got in on Saturday when we went down to the Keys for one of those swim with the dolphins things for my daughters birthday. It was all outdoors, but that's the only time me and my 9-year old did anything out together in the last week. 2 days from exposure seems pretty quick to get symptoms though.
What a non-event, eh?

But it's ok, because our leaders are doubling down even further on COVID fears. Now the mask-making lobby is getting a Government contract for hundreds of millions of masks that nobody asked for.

Way to "win" the war against COVID!
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9287  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 2:15 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
^
Have you been purposefully this whole time not doing much outside the house with your daughter to avoid getting mildly sick for a day for two years? Hope not.
I don't know about him, but I bet you there are many people who are.

Sad, really. We have only one life to live. There is no afterlife, no heaven, no hell (sorry, religious folks, but it's true), and people are choosing to whittle away their lives like this....
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9288  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:37 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,780
Now every American can get 8 tests a month! Wow amazing! Now more asymptomatic and mild cases for people to record in the numbers and continue the hysteria.

Omicron is so non-dangerous you should really only bother testing if you find yourself very sick.

If its a mild case, then just stay home like a cold no test needed. If you have no symptoms WHY THE F*** ARE YOU TESTING?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9289  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:53 PM
10023 10023 is offline
SUSPENDED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 21,146
^ Great business for diagnostic testing companies though.
__________________
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9290  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:58 PM
UrbanImpact's Avatar
UrbanImpact UrbanImpact is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Now every American can get 8 tests a month! Wow amazing! Now more asymptomatic and mild cases for people to record in the numbers and continue the hysteria.

Omicron is so non-dangerous you should really only bother testing if you find yourself very sick.

If its a mild case, then just stay home like a cold no test needed. If you have no symptoms WHY THE F*** ARE YOU TESTING?
I work in a small architectural office with older/vulnerable co-workers. We test ( I was positive two weeks ago) when we feel sick for that reason.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9291  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:23 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
I work in a small architectural office with older/vulnerable co-workers. We test ( I was positive two weeks ago) when we feel sick for that reason.
Must I again link the CDC data again?

Omicron is not a serious health threat to anyone of any group.

And in an architecture frim Im willing to bet your all vaxxed .

You are acting out health safety theater and not actually helping anyone or protecting your "vulnerable" co workers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9292  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:59 PM
SAN Man SAN Man is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Now every American can get 8 tests a month! Wow amazing! Now more asymptomatic and mild cases for people to record in the numbers and continue the hysteria.

Omicron is so non-dangerous you should really only bother testing if you find yourself very sick.

If its a mild case, then just stay home like a cold no test needed. If you have no symptoms WHY THE F*** ARE YOU TESTING?
I don't think anybody should voluntarily test themselves if they don't have symptoms or if they have very mild symptoms. The problem is, a lot of people are forced to take tests on a routine basis whether they have symptoms or not. My sister is going to Aruba, she is fully vaccinated with a booster, doesn't have any symptoms, hasn't been exposed to anybody that has Covid and still had to take a Covid test this morning.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9293  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 5:01 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 30,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ Great business for diagnostic testing companies though.
What's interesting to me is there was a lot of opposition to rapid testing earlier on in the pandemic when it would have been more useful. Regulators were slow to allow them and a lot of people were convinced they would be harmful, often due to dubious reasoning about sensitivity relative to PCR and total ignorance of costs and other trade-offs, as usual ("we can't allow a 95% accurate test when we could do a 99% test, and let's not worry if people can or will actually do the 99% test that costs 50x more and has 200x the turnaround time"). Doctors and regulators have a not-so-great history in this area, fighting against people being allowed to do their own pregnancy or rapid HIV tests.

What has changed? Are these tests better than before in some way? Or is this another case of the herd suddenly switching direction without any clear underlying reason?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9294  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 5:13 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 7,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
What's interesting to me is there was a lot of opposition to rapid testing earlier on in the pandemic when it would have been more useful. Regulators were slow to allow them and a lot of people were convinced they would be harmful, often due to dubious reasoning about sensitivity relative to PCR and total ignorance of costs and other trade-offs, as usual ("we can't allow a 95% accurate test when we could do a 99% test, and let's not worry if people can or will actually do the 99% test that costs 50x more and has 200x the turnaround time"). Doctors and regulators have a not-so-great history in this area, fighting against people being allowed to do their own pregnancy or rapid HIV tests.

What has changed? Are these tests better than before in some way? Or is this another case of the herd suddenly switching direction without any clear underlying reason?
What's funny is that the antigen tests give more false negatives with omicron than previous variants. The reason is apparently because people become symptomatic more quickly after infection than with other variants, but the tests aren't great at detecting early infections.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9295  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 5:17 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
What's interesting to me is there was a lot of opposition to rapid testing earlier on in the pandemic when it would have been more useful. Regulators were slow to allow them and a lot of people were convinced they would be harmful, often due to dubious reasoning about sensitivity relative to PCR and total ignorance of costs and other trade-offs, as usual ("we can't allow a 95% accurate test when we could do a 99% test, and let's not worry if people can or will actually do the 99% test that costs 50x more and has 200x the turnaround time"). Doctors and regulators have a not-so-great history in this area, fighting against people being allowed to do their own pregnancy or rapid HIV tests.
A big issue the modern western democracies face is they conflate expertise to leadership.

Virologists might have a good idea on how to quash a virus, but they are singularly focused on quashing a virus at the exclusion of ALL OTHER CONCERNS. And we see that same dynamic play out across most issues. Congress/parliament has no interest in coming down with decisions because actually voting on a law has political consequences. Executives are then tasked with the duty act dictatorially but still face all of the opposition to act in such a way so they are blocked by courts and their do-nothing congresses/parliaments and public oppinon into permeant gridlock, only able to make executive approvals and minor proclamations.

So now we are stuck with the auto-pilot beaurocracy rolling from crisis to crisis slapping their highly specific and highly specialized "solution" on a problem with absolutely no consideration for adverse affects, unintended consequences or at odds interests/actions.

what results is a political system at war with iself unable to actually do anything about serious problems and so in most cases the machinery of government grinds on in the background while the politics that are supposed to be the people who take all these factors into account and .... ya know legislate about it.... focus on cultural and social issues and sound bite grandstanding for the next election while nothing gets done and the machine rampages with no oversight.

Its the worst of all worlds; legislatures incentivized not to legislate, authoritarian while simultaneously ineffectual executives, and a massive unaccountable bureaucracy that does whatever it wants and commonly works at cross purposes or in highly damaging ways with no oversight or direction.

With the incentives of the modern world I dont know how this can be fixed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9296  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 5:37 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN Man View Post
I don't think anybody should voluntarily test themselves if they don't have symptoms or if they have very mild symptoms. The problem is, a lot of people are forced to take tests on a routine basis whether they have symptoms or not. My sister is going to Aruba, she is fully vaccinated with a booster, doesn't have any symptoms, hasn't been exposed to anybody that has Covid and still had to take a Covid test this morning.
Exactly. This is the reason I ordered my 4 tests.

Not because I have any desire to support the COVID-Industrial-Complex that we seem to be living under, but in the event that I or my family are FORCED to get a test done.
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9297  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 5:39 PM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is offline
video et taceo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,875
England ending all masking and vaccine-pass restrictions as of next Thursday.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9298  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 5:39 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

With the incentives of the modern world I dont know how this can be fixed.
^ The fix is easy.

Move to Texas and Florida
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9299  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 5:40 PM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is offline
video et taceo
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
What's funny is that the antigen tests give more false negatives with omicron than previous variants. The reason is apparently because people become symptomatic more quickly after infection than with other variants, but the tests aren't great at detecting early infections.
Yeah I had two negative antigens before a positive PCR.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9300  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 5:41 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
England ending all masking and vaccine-pass restrictions as of next Thursday.


YES!!! YES!!!

YES!!!

YES!!!


No skyscraper start has made me more happy than to hear that a major western democracy is finally waking up from this insanity. (I just hope that I'm not celebrating too prematurely)

Lets hope it spreads, because America's current leadership has its head in its own ass and is actually doing the opposite. Doubling down by shipping out masks in masse to a public that never asked for them and is getting tired of wearing them.
__________________
The only thing better than a V10 is a V12
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:35 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.