HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex17 View Post
Wolf Point and the Kennedys thank you.
I always dreamed that if I was a multi-billionaire, I would try to buy the Wolf Point land from the Kennedys, and also the Apparel Center, tear it down, and built a complex of four towers, with one supertall of 1,790 ft. (mixed use residential and hotel), a 770-foot office tower, and two other residential towers of around 590 feet. I would leave the tip of Wolf Point as a landscaped park.
Oh, and I'd live in the penthouse of Wolf Point Tower (the supertall one). The roofline would be about 1,450-1,500 though, with some structural element leading to a spire for the pinnacle height.
It's were, not was. Up with the past subjunctive! (Turnabout is fair play. )

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 9:46 PM

I love this recent pedantic streak we have gotten ourselves into. Also, Tex17, you have peculiarly specific plans for Wolf Point. Why 1,790 instead of 1,800 feet?
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex17 View Post
Wolf Point and the Kennedys thank you.
I always dreamed that if I was a multi-billionaire, I would try to buy the Wolf Point land from the Kennedys, and also the Apparel Center, tear it down, and built a complex of four towers, with one supertall of 1,790 ft. (mixed use residential and hotel), a 770-foot office tower, and two other residential towers of around 590 feet. I would leave the tip of Wolf Point as a landscaped park.
Oh, and I'd live in the penthouse of Wolf Point Tower (the supertall one). The roofline would be about 1,450-1,500 though, with some structural element leading to a spire for the pinnacle height.

I would try to buy Wolf Point from the Kennedys, along with the Apparel Center, then tear down the Apparel Center and build a complex of four towers.

If everyone on here decided to become the grammar police then this thread would never serve its true purpose. I witness grammical errors and other types of errors on here almost on a daily basis but this thread isn't about correcting people's grammar. Please, refrain from feeling you need to correct people's writing. Let people express themselves without having to worry about if they're using proper grammar or spelling words correctly because 1) it makes you look like a jerk and 2) no one on here is perfect when it comes to the proper use of grammar.

Btw, your vision is kind of bizzare.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 11:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post

If everyone on here decided to become the grammar police then this thread would never serve its true purpose. I witness grammical errors and other types of errors on here almost on a daily basis but this thread isn't about correcting people's grammar. Please, refrain from feeling you need to correct people's writing. Let people express themselves without having to worry about if they're using proper grammar or spelling words correctly because 1) it makes you look like a jerk and 2) no one on here is perfect when it comes to the proper use of grammar.

Thank you.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:17 PM
Content provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
I would try to buy Wolf Point from the Kennedys, along with the Apparel Center, then tear down the Apparel Center and build a complex of four towers.

Btw, your vision is kind of bizzare.

It's grammatical !!!

just kidding

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 5:58 PM

We should get some renders today. Is any one going to the meeting tonight for the Wolf Point Proposal ?

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 8:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i would love to go, but i have this little inconvenient thing called a job that always seems to get in the way.

but hopefully some other forumers will be able to make it. if anyone can go, bring a camera and take copious notes please.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
We should get some renders today. Is any one going to the meeting tonight for the Wolf Point Proposal ?
Unless I get stuck late at work, I'll be there....haven't been to an event like this in a while....Spire at Daley Bi? I'm looking forward to hearing crazy rants that cover the fact that people don't want their views blocked.

SSDD

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase View Post
Unless I get stuck late at work, I'll be there....haven't been to an event like this in a while....Spire at Daley Bi? I'm looking forward to hearing crazy rants that cover the fact that people don't want their views blocked.

SSDD
Take a camera!

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 10:57 PM

http://www.suntimes.com/12851981-761...anal-site.html

There are renderings in this article.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMendigo View Post
http://www.suntimes.com/12851981-761...anal-site.html

There are renderings in this article.
For the lazy:

My reaction: underwhelmed, though I suppose it could be worse.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:11 PM

More to come...they have a few more renderings here than the S-T article.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:12 PM

Edit:

Looks like this is what Chicago is getting. Not too crazy at first glance if I'm honest.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:25 PM

Perspective changes everything. The sun-times images looked a little underhwelming. This, I quiet like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh9 View Post

More to come...they have a few more renderings here than the S-T article.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:31 PM

Ok, people need to relax until they know what they are looking at, these are basically detailed massing models for a PD admendment. The plan sounds pretty solid, and seems to address the majority of the potential early complaints.

The meeting is still going on and I'll chime in when others post later. I'm sure interesting images will be posted later as I've spotted other formers.

SSDD

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:37 PM

It looks rather mediocre, but it certainly isn't horrible.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcase View Post
Ok, people need to relax until they know what they are looking at, these are basically detailed massing models for a PD admendment. The plan sounds pretty solid, and seems to address the majority of the potential early complaints.

The meeting is still going on and I'll chime in when others post later. I'm sure interesting images will be posted later as I've spotted other formers.

SSDD
Looking forward to your input. It's much appreciated.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:40 PM

I was really hoping for something more - a nod to the mixed use city in a city like Marina City, or bold form like 333 Wacker, even a super tall needle. But this is a non-cohesive mish mash of recycled ideas from 10 years ago with no context, no graceful forms nor bold presence. A site like this deserves an iconic piece, not bubble era torqued bling. I really hope this is not a final.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:40 PM

These are early designs, Cesar Pelli hasn't even designed much yet. Here is an excerpt from the Sun Times article -
Quote:
The Kennedys, who own the site, and the developers hired prominent architect Cesar Pelli of Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects, for overall design work, but the towers are by Thomas Kerwin, principal of BKL Architecture and a former partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP.
I expect the final design to be stunning, but even this, would be great. The front of the main tower reminds me of Devon tower on some level, mixed with that LA proposal. Also, look at this
Quote:
Its highest tower, whose prow-like edge would jut toward the river at Wolf Point’s south end, would rise to a height of 925 feet.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:53 PM

Well, I'm not totally blown away, but it's still very, very nice. Very tasteful, and the crown is exceptional. I love how it looks quite thin on it's south face. Anxiously awaiting views from other directions. I think this is one that, as it grow on you, you'll love it even more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive