HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 3:03 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Good to have a firm open on the Apple Store; I'll walk down there on the 23rd with my camera.

Last edited by wrab; Oct 17, 2010 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 3:07 AM
BANNED

LAME! we got a replica of the apple store in scottsdale:

new york city get's the 5th ave store, and then the new broadway store... and we get (while still a nice building) a recycled design?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 3:29 AM
Windy City Dan

Wow. That really kinda ticks me off. Even when it was going up I wasn't really that excited about how it was turning out, but now I just feel snubbed. I guess, North and Clybourn is just more flyover territory not worthy of an original design. Hell even Starbucks mixes it up from store to store and you can't walk 2 blocks without hitting one. Remember the old 1984 ad? Oh the irony...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 3:35 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

I understand - I was bummed too when the design previewed. The NY stores are awesome. But how is this any different from the city of Chicago using the same design for multiple schools or fire stations?

Last edited by wrab; Oct 17, 2010 at 7:06 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 3:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post

But how is this any different from the city of Chicago using the same design for multiple schools or fire stations?
is that a serious question? public service buildings vs high end retailer with few free standing stores?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 3:59 AM
TL;DR

The same design has also been used in Manhasset.

That's right, Apple thinks Lincoln Park is just like Long Island.

Honestly, I'm not too bummed. It's still a fairly unique design. Not to mention the fact that we get a cool plaza and a renovated subway station. I'm also curious to see whether the Lincoln Park location will include an underground level. They built a basement, but I don't know if it will be public or not. If it is public, then we'll probably get an Apple Spiral Stair.

Last edited by ardecila; Oct 16, 2010 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 4:17 AM
tilted & shifted

^Agreed. C'mon, let's not manifest the woebegone, cry-baby mentality. The design is fairly strong in my opinion. Consider for a moment that a gas station once stood at this site.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 5:47 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
is that a serious question? public service buildings vs high end retailer with few free standing stores?
Is that a serious question about my question? I'd like to see something stronger here, but the design doesn't tarnish the brand.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
LAME! we got a replica of the apple store in scottsdale
. . .
new york city get's the 5th ave store, and then the new broadway store... and we get (while still a nice building) a recycled design?
Totally agree. Lazy-ass waste.

This is a unique triangular site, which this cookie-cutter design completely ignores. Even a rectangular building could have somehow paid respect to Clybourn, the unique thoroughfare at this intersection.

I think I'll go to the new Jewel on Oct 23rd instead of here.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 1:46 PM
The City

^ You whiners clearly have forgotten that previous developers (and the acquiescing city that let it happen) bestowed this particular area with some of the most horrific, worthless suburban style strip center design one could get, and which Chicagoans will have to stomach for at least a generation.

If you wanted Apple to come in with their A-game you need to have a place that is worthy. North and Clybourn clearly isn't yet worthy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 2:14 PM
Show me the blueprints

Plenty of midcentury Miesian and Miesen protege towers are virtually identical. How is this different again?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 2:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Plenty of midcentury Miesian and Miesen protege towers are virtually identical. How is this different again?
because free standing apple stores have a history of being unique? and these are small retail shops, not massive buildings?

anyway, i wasn't trying to create a big ruckus...

i think it's a great building, and looks great on the site... it's just annoying to me that it's not an original or high profile design like the ny stores. oh well.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 3:00 PM
The City

Quote:
i think it's a great building, and looks great on the site... it's just annoying to me that it's not an original or high profile design like the ny stores. oh well.
^ Maybe we need to come back down to earth and realize that North and Clybourn isn't Fifth and 59th.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 7:49 PM

^ Make Little Plans ?

This is a company that has deep pockets (really deep; see WSJ recently) and is insanely image-conscious. Enough $$ and political capital were sloshing around to beautify a rail station and get all the roads repaved around this block.

I am not asking for a Louvre-inspired tiffany dome crystal palace. Just something that is contextual and recognizes that it's in the capital of architecture. Instead, we copy Arizona, which urbanism wise is one of the most banal places in the country.

And ignoring the Clybourn diagonal just grates on my eyes.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 9:32 PM

Plus, unless I'm mistaken there are no windows along Halsted st either. That's not very urban or attractive to have a blank wall along the whole block even if it's made out of solid gold.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Plus, unless I'm mistaken there are no windows along Halsted st either. That's not very urban or attractive to have a blank wall along the whole block even if it's made out of solid gold.
sure it is... an austere titanium wall is the type of aesthetic apple wants. plus it's not fully blank. there will be (if it's the same as the one in scottsdale) a glass display window.

as i said before, i really like the building, and i think it's an overall success both aesthetically and contextually (i like the juxtaposition of a cold metal box on the site).

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 10:16 PM

Uh....I thought that it was 100% established that this store would look exactly like the Scottsdale + other stores well before the first bulldozer showed up on site. Why are we all crying about this now or was at least half the Chicago forumers absent the day this was discussed?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 10:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Uh....I thought that it was 100% established that this store would look exactly like the Scottsdale + other stores well before the first bulldozer showed up on site. Why are we all crying about this now or was at least half the Chicago forumers absent the day this was discussed?
oh, my bad... i didn't know. this was news to me as of a few days ago. sorry y'all...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 2:04 AM

It's alright...just feel we've already been through this and didn't need another rehash.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 3:07 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I am not asking for a Louvre-inspired tiffany dome crystal palace. Just something that is contextual and recognizes that it's in the capital of architecture.
^ Uhhh, once again, are you talking about the same "capital of architecture" that once had a gas station at this site, and has massive strip malls all within a one block distance of the station?

So here I am, the guy from Apple, scoping the site, and across the street I see a strip center with a CB2 and street level parking. Down the street I see a forgettable Crate and barrel with massive parking lot. Further down, I see a scene that is pretty much anywhere USA--Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, etc etc with seas of parking. Having seen that, I'm supposed to say "ahhh, this is clearly the capital of architecture! Lets build a masterpiece here worthy of its distinguished pantheon of neighbors!". Nope, don't think so.

Chicago gets what it deserves with this one, sorry.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development