HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

Despite Detroit and Boston being roughly the same latitude, Detroit and Washington are actually much closer to each other than Detroit and Boston. In fact, Detroit and Washington are nearly as close to each other as are Boston and Washington.
That does surprise me. I just googled, and the drive time from Cincinnati to DC is barely shorter than the Detroit to DC drive. Even though Detroit is so much further north, and Cincy and DC are basically at the same latitude line, the difference is only like 20 minutes. Due to the mountains and lack of freeways in eastern OH and WV, you have to go north (almost to Pittsburgh) and then back south to get to Washington, whereas Detroit's a more straight shot.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 6:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Digging a hole to China? Besides being impossible, it is impractical given the antipodes, unless you happen to be in Argentina.

wikipedia

I once gave a speech in Perth (Australia) on green consumer behavior. I had flown there from Montreal, and I had stated at the beginning of my speech that the farthest possible point I could fly to (commercially, and of course with connecting flights) from Montreal was, in fact, Perth Australia. The topic of my speech was ironic given how much energy it had taken to transport me to the nearest antipodal big city).

Approximately 15% of land territory is antipodal to other land, representing approximately 4.4% of Earth's surface.

There are no non-stop scheduled flights between any two antipodal locations by commercial airline service. There is currently no commercial aircraft capable of travelling between antipodes at full load non-stop⁠—⁠the current world record holder Boeing 777-200LR's maximum range is rated at 17,395 km (10,809 mi), or roughly 87% of an average antipodal distance.

-wikipedia

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Digging a hole to China? Besides being impossible, it is impractical given the antipodes, unless you happen to be in Argentina.
A ~7 year old me was once inspired by Bugs Bunny to dig a hole in our backyard to China. How disappointing it would have been to dig all the way through the Earth only to drown in the Indian Ocean.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
Beaumont is actually a little closer to El Paso than it is to Los Angeles by about 80 miles. El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than it is to Texarkana. Texarkana is closer to Chicago than it is to El Paso.
Not driving distance. According to this website, Los Angeles is 28 miles closer by highway.

https://distancecalculator.globefeed...Calculator.asp

And this website https://www.distance-cities.com/dist...to-beaumont-tx says the distance, as the crow flies, between L.A. and El Paso is 699 miles while the distance, as the crow flies, between El Paso and Beaumont is 749.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
A ~7 year old me was once inspired by Bugs Bunny to dig a hole in our backyard to China. How disappointing it would have been to dig all the way through the Earth only to drown in the Indian Ocean.
You have to make a left turn at Albuquerque.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 8:42 PM

Tucson, AZ, in the Sonoran Desert, has a popular beach town not very far away (Puerto Peñasco, Mexico).

http://www.rockypointbeachcondo.com/...oint-maps.html

Modern hotel strip foreground, old town in background

https://castawaysrockypoint.com/dire...o-rocky-point/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 9:39 PM
i ain't no bubba

edit

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 9:59 PM

Los Angeles California is about the same distance from Naukan Russia (3,035 miles) as it is from Panama City, Panama (2,995 miles).

San Juan Puerto Rico is significantly closer to NYC (1,605 miles) than it is to Mexico City (2,157 miles).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 10:44 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I swear, the Mercator projection is probably more responsible for more confusion than practically anything else in this university.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 11:01 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
There’s two sections of Erie Township, Michigan that’s only accessible by land from Toledo, Ohio. They’re located at the end of two peninsulas in Lake Erie.

Yes! The lost peninsulas! That's the first one that came to mind for me too, for Michigan! These are all fascinating. I'll try a few -

1. The distance between Monroe (southeast portion of Michigan's lower peninsula) and Ironwood (western portion of Michigan's upper peninsula) is about 630 miles - more than the distance from Detroit to NYC. It's about a 10 hour drive either way. In the same amount of time it takes you to cross the state of Michigan diagonally by car, you could theoretically drive through a good chunk of Ohio, all of Pennsylvania, a good bit of New Jersey, and enter New York.

2. If traveling from Ironwood, MI to Niles, MI, it's about three hours quicker to drive through Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana (about an 8 hour trip), than it is to drive just through Michigan (about 11 hours) to get there.

3. The westernmost point in the US's eastern time zone is is in Michigan's UP. Ontonagon, MI has the longest lasting summer daylight in the EST (in the contiguous US). Of course, the tradeoff is it's dark by 4pm in the deep winter. A very thin slice of the western part of the UP is in the central time zone (I honestly just learned that right now).

4. Detroit is closer to Buffalo, NY than it is to Chicago, IL. Not sure if that is surprising to folks or not.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 11:30 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

In Antarctica, when people say North (or East, or West or South), they usually mean Grid North, based on the South Pole Stereographic Projection, since the normal directions aren't super useful.

The former Capital of Illinois, Kaskaskia, is now on the Missouri side of the Mississippi River.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

wikipedia
Just dig at an angle at x degrees from vertical, x being your latitude. You know what they say, never dig straight down

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:46 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
In Antarctica, when people say North (or East, or West or South), they usually mean Grid North, based on the South Pole Stereographic Projection, since the normal directions aren't super useful.

The former Capital of Illinois, Kaskaskia, is now on the Missouri side of the Mississippi River.
Kaskaskia is on the Illinois side of the Missouri River currently and historically.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:52 AM
Aimless Wanderer

North Bay, Ontario is closer to NYC than it is to Thunder Bay, Ontario.

People in Southern Ontario constantly confuse North Bay with Thunder Bay or think they are right beside each other.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 2:45 AM

Ketchikan (the southernmost city in the Alaska Panhandle) is closer to San Francisco than to Utqiagvik (the former Barrow) at the northern tip.

Ketchikan is also 400 miles closer to Tijuana than to Attu at the end of the Aleutians.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:49 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Ketchikan (the southernmost city in the Alaska Panhandle) is closer to San Francisco than to Utqiagvik (the former Barrow) at the northern tip.

Ketchikan is also 400 miles closer to Tijuana than to Attu at the end of the Aleutians.
Alaska is just massive. It's also the only state to have a longer coastline than Michigan (if considering salt water & fresh water coastal boundaries).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:58 AM

When crossing the Crescent City Connection in New Orleans, you drive due east to get to the west side of the Mississippi River and vice versa.

https://goo.gl/maps/ALwANtrQGa7qQhCr9

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 5:17 AM

Liberty Island (home to the Statue of Liberty) is located in New York state, however, the water surrounding it is in New Jersey. Thus, the symbol of New York City cannot be accessed without going through New Jersey.

Same with Ellis Island, except only part of the island is in New York. Most of it is in New Jersey (as well as all the water surrounding it).

The northern border of North Kansas City, MO is roughly 13 miles south of the northern border of Kansas City, MO.

The City of San Diego is in two pieces. The San Ysidro and Otay Mesa neighborhoods (regions??) of San Diego are four miles south of main part of the city. So despite numerous north-south routes, for those living in this part of the city to visit their city hall, they must first leave the city.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:49 AM

The Northernmost settlement in Quebec; Ivujivik, is roughly the same distance as the crow flies from Montreal as Atlanta, Georgia. It's also a lot more expensive to get to.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:36 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Cumberland Gap, Virginia, is closer to 9 other state capitals than to Richmond:

Looking at Texas, two things come to mind. One, wow, is Austin ever isolated from the rest of the state capitals even while being in the lower 48. And two, West Texas covers a lot of area before there's a state capital closeby.

Florida's capital is also way away from the rest of the state. West Virginia's is also, which is surprising considering it isn't exactly a big state.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Mar 5, 2021 at 9:36 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions