HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 6:45 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Well the adjacent parcels have always been informally promised to Wanda Koop for a non profit artistic cooperative. Our 5000ft site on George was acquired to remove a gang house from the area as no one seemed to care about Wanda’s safety. It too is slated for her grand vision along with their three adjacent parcels. CV has only recently engaged the adjacent 75 year owner with visions of sugar plums. So ya, I guess that’s the other side of the story...

Perhaps CV should focus on their three huge multimillion dollar holes in the ground and leave this little out of the way site for Wanda ...

I’m sure she can get it dealt with and built before St Regis or Market Lands break ground...
There’s an actual other side, but I thought it was Lawson who was being victimized. Wanda’s project sounds awesome! I’m looking forward to hearing more. Is there a timeline for it? Would be great for the area.

Great that you bought a property that was a gang house. Nice work. We need more community leaders like that.

Last edited by trueviking; Feb 11, 2021 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
There’s an actual other side, but I thought it was Lawson who was being victimized. Wanda’s project sounds awesome! I’m looking forward to hearing more. Is there a timeline for it? Would be great for the area.

Great that you bought a property that was a gang house. Nice work. We need more community leaders like that.
Everyone in the community was being victimized by the gang problem and the lack of government response to the vagrant encampment. Lawson was forced out of his own properties due to the encampment and CV standing in the way of his attempt to acquire a sliver of adjacent land where the problem was located.

Wanda was being terrorized by the violent activities next door to her home!

We acquired the gang house and demolished it in an attempt to bring some peace to the neighbourhood and release the tortured souls within its walls.

CV has a whole neglected downtown to deal with. Perhaps the areas that are attempting to organically better themselves be left alone or at least engage in a quiet conversation before stepping on the flowers.

Deal with the grand gestures if you must but the nuanced actions are what create meaningful community change. We think on that note, we know what we are doing ...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 6:20 PM

[QUOTE=trueviking;9187635]They deserve credit for letting a building they owned rot into the ground until the city had to step in and pay them cash to develop it before it fell into the street? I guess so. Would have been better without the prominent neglected derelict building part though.

An interesting comment and leads into a number of discussions ....

A little background and perspective.

1) I believe the parcels on the block were acquired over many years with the practically derelict Grey’s Auction the last. As a boy I remember going there with my father. He used to laugh 50 years ago for us not to stay long as it might fall at any time!. When the owner died / retired I think the parcel was finally sold. My point being not all of the buildings can be saved all the time. In this case the condition of the building can’t be blamed on Reiss. With designations in place it could not be torn down either...

When the parkade proposal was negotiated the facade was a pre condition. A large surface parking lot everyone complains about was substantially upgraded. Some CRU’s were included for street life and a somewhat old facade was included into the structure and corner to soften the street edge. (The facade of MC was included on portage project as well) A program to deal with urban improvement was offered and accepted no different than the other parkade funded.

2) Your second comment that the parkade would be better without the heritage facade is interesting as well. For many years this idea of historic façadism did not sit well with me. I viewed it like a stuffed deer on the wall. I always felt sorry for the deer and the building. It was a technique often used to justify a building’s demolition. Would not the facade of the old post office on Portage even with the parkade behind it have been a better solution? That could be discussed and argued over Japanese whisky well into the night...

Perhaps both solutions while justified, need to be always thoughtfully considered.

I think I can live with it as I get old and nostalgic for the desks bought at auction with my dad...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 10:47 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Everyone in the community was being victimized by the gang problem and the lack of government response to the vagrant encampment. Lawson was forced out of his own properties due to the encampment and CV standing in the way of his attempt to acquire a sliver of adjacent land where the problem was located.

Wanda was being terrorized by the violent activities next door to her home!

We acquired the gang house and demolished it in an attempt to bring some peace to the neighbourhood and release the tortured souls within its walls.

CV has a whole neglected downtown to deal with. Perhaps the areas that are attempting to organically better themselves be left alone or at least engage in a quiet conversation before stepping on the flowers.

Deal with the grand gestures if you must but the nuanced actions are what create meaningful community change. We think on that note, we know what we are doing ...
One person's organic improvement is another person's surface parking lot I guess. Hopefully the parcel of land you are referring to will become a nice development that will improve the area for all residents and adjacent property owners...maybe even spur more development in the area. That's my hope for all city owned properties that are available. Highest and best use. I'm sure CV will give that land to whoever has a good plan for it....Wanda's plan sounds awesome.

Last edited by trueviking; Feb 11, 2021 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 10:51 PM
surely you agree with me

[QUOTE=Labroco;9188087]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
They deserve credit for letting a building they owned rot into the ground until the city had to step in and pay them cash to develop it before it fell into the street? I guess so. Would have been better without the prominent neglected derelict building part though.

An interesting comment and leads into a number of discussions ....

A little background and perspective.

1) I believe the parcels on the block were acquired over many years with the practically derelict Grey’s Auction the last. As a boy I remember going there with my father. He used to laugh 50 years ago for us not to stay long as it might fall at any time!. When the owner died / retired I think the parcel was finally sold. My point being not all of the buildings can be saved all the time. In this case the condition of the building can’t be blamed on Reiss. With designations in place it could not be torn down either...

When the parkade proposal was negotiated the facade was a pre condition. A large surface parking lot everyone complains about was substantially upgraded. Some CRU’s were included for street life and a somewhat old facade was included into the structure and corner to soften the street edge. (The facade of MC was included on portage project as well) A program to deal with urban improvement was offered and accepted no different than the other parkade funded.

2) Your second comment that the parkade would be better without the heritage facade is interesting as well. For many years this idea of historic façadism did not sit well with me. I viewed it like a stuffed deer on the wall. I always felt sorry for the deer and the building. It was a technique often used to justify a building’s demolition. Would not the facade of the old post office on Portage even with the parkade behind it have been a better solution? That could be discussed and argued over Japanese whisky well into the night...

Perhaps both solutions while justified, need to be always thoughtfully considered.

I think I can live with it as I get old and nostalgic for the desks bought at auction with my dad...
You misunderstand. I love the rebuilt façade and the CRU's that were forced on the developer to get free money. What I could have done without was the bit about the building owner neglecting his building for years...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 11:16 PM

I made a rare trip through the Exchange District today and noticed that construction is now under way on the project at SE Logan and Princess. You can also see construction moving along nicely at the replacement for the Scott Memorial Hall.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:49 AM

I think the one at Logan has been ongoing for a while. They had some piles in IIRC.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 12:55 PM

The speed of how fast the replacement of Scott Memorial Hall is designed, approved and being built make me think that this demolition was planned ahead and either there was no reason to demolish it or it was intentional neglectance of their owners. I believe the city should have stricter regulations for Exchange district to prevent such things from happening. For example force owners to rebuild the structure in its existing look and with the same materials if the structure is beyond repairing.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I think the one at Logan has been ongoing for a while. They had some piles in IIRC.
Thanks... when I went by I could not for the life of me remember if I had heard anything about construction there before, or what is ultimately getting built there. I recall that project had to jump through some variance hoops a while back, seems like it's been in the works for quite a while now. Have we seen any renderings for what's planned there?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 2:44 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-kz View Post
The speed of how fast the replacement of Scott Memorial Hall is designed, approved and being built make me think that this demolition was planned ahead and either there was no reason to demolish it or it was intentional neglectance of their owners. I believe the city should have stricter regulations for Exchange district to prevent such things from happening. For example force owners to rebuild the structure in its existing look and with the same materials if the structure is beyond repairing.
Cool story.

Let's get back to reality.

The truth of the matter is that this development is designed and funded on a certain amount of commercial and residential units. Three separate buildings that are becoming interconnected, with shared services, stairwells, elevators etc. FYI, the elevator for this development was to be located in the Scott Block (and is still located in the new building).

When the Scott Block was damaged beyond repair, the developer needed to act quickly in order to preserve funding and the original intent of the development, i.e. three interconnected buildings.

The consultants worked hard to get a replacement building going as quickly as possible. However, no corners were cut. The permits were approved, and the design reviewed approved by Heritage.

The replacement building is constructed with a superior structure and foundation.

You can mourn the loss of the front façade and the blank north masonry wall, but that's it. There is no tin foil hat plot at work here.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 6:02 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
You can mourn the loss of the front façade and the blank north masonry wall, but that's it. There is no tin foil hat plot at work here.
Someone got a little sloppy with a redevelopment in my neighbourhood in Toronto a few years back and was ordered to rebuild the ruined structure. And it was just a house -- nothing nearly as old or historically important as the Scott Memorial Hall.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 6:25 PM

Quote:
FYI, the elevator for this development was to be located in the Scott Block (and is still located in the new building).
Given that the Scott Block is located at Main & Graham, that's a pretty far walk for the elevator.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:09 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Someone got a little sloppy with a redevelopment in my neighbourhood in Toronto a few years back and was ordered to rebuild the ruined structure. And it was just a house -- nothing nearly as old or historically important as the Scott Memorial Hall.
That building was never getting rebuilt. Period.

If the City ordered the owner to do that, or even something approaching that, the owner walks, and this block never gets redeveloped.

Shit happens.

It's getting replaced.

And Riel was way cooler anyway.

Last edited by drew; Mar 4, 2021 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
That building was never getting rebuilt. Period.

If the City ordered the owner to do that, or even something approaching that, the owner walks, and this block never gets redeveloped.

Shit happens.

It's getting rebuilt.

And Riel was way cooler anyway.
Riel WAS way cooler.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thanks... when I went by I could not for the life of me remember if I had heard anything about construction there before, or what is ultimately getting built there. I recall that project had to jump through some variance hoops a while back, seems like it's been in the works for quite a while now. Have we seen any renderings for what's planned there?
I think it is 6/7 floors residential designed by Verne Reimer. It’s a good addition to the area.

Last edited by Labroco; Mar 5, 2021 at 4:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:42 AM

This one.

https://www.vernereimer.com/our-work...-apartments/#1

Theres a large number of proposals on his site. hard to know what's active and what is left over. Some very intriguing and in line with recent rumours on here.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:53 AM

Such as this one. Lux Condos, design complete.
https://www.vernereimer.com/our-work...se/lux-condos/

Is this the Duncan proposal, IIRC on hold.
https://www.vernereimer.com/our-work...ment-proposal/

Any legs on this one?
https://www.vernereimer.com/our-work.../cloud-condos/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Such as this one. Lux Condos, design complete.
https://www.vernereimer.com/our-work...se/lux-condos/

Is this the Duncan proposal, IIRC on hold.
https://www.vernereimer.com/our-work...ment-proposal/

Any legs on this one?
https://www.vernereimer.com/our-work.../cloud-condos/
The 3rd one, last u mentioned would be my wish. I see it would be mid 30's for floor count....There is also a 50 floor residential tower being worked on by a design firm as we speak. If these 2 got built Plus with 300 Main, what a skyline change we would witness not to mention so many more residents downtown.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 6:05 AM

Quote:
This one.

https://www.vernereimer.com/our-work...-apartments/#1

Theres a large number of proposals on his site. hard to know what's active and what is left over. Some very intriguing and in line with recent rumours on here.
Decent looking. It backs onto Chinatown but does not incorporate it whatsoever.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:17 PM

I have the plans for 127 Bannatyne, however, will have to figure out a way to post....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan