HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Murder rates were higher in 2020 than in 2019 from the very start, and the spike in murders began months before the George Floyd killing, correlating almost perfectly with the onset of the pandemic and attendant restrictions. That said, murders definitely increased even more after the police killing of Floyd.
Yeah... I'm not sure why people would tie murder rates to police protests lol. Most murders are not random acts. The victim and perpetrator likely know each other. Since people are spending much more time at home due to the pandemic, it means we're spending more time around the people most likely to murder us.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 7:28 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah... I'm not sure why people would tie murder rates to police protests lol. Most murders are not random acts. The victim and perpetrator likely know each other.
This is 100% true. +1

Cities with higher murder rates probably have rates closer to parity with other cities if they only counted 'innocent' murders--that sounds rude I guess, but Oakland PD reported that approximately 90% of murders in the city are persons getting killed while in the act of illegal activity, usually at the hands of someone they know. It was the focus of a ridiculous 100-page thread in the SF-Oak forum on CD years ago regarding crime in Oakland. I remember because Im the one who found the report in anarticle and posted it.

Anyhow, I bet similar proportions are the same in many high murder rate cities.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yeah... I'm not sure why people would tie murder rates to police protests
Because there wasn't a corresponding murder rise in Canadian cities. Why would it be the case that the murder rate went way up in Portland and Seattle, but not their peer city of Vancouver? Why a huge increase in Chicago, but not its Great Lakes peer Toronto? The flu was 'invariant;' it was present in both nations. We have to look at variable factors instead.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
What counts as a battle/riot??

Detroit didn't even have a single storefront window broken during this time, there was zero rioting. So there shouldn't be any speck of orange there.

Yeah, because there was an inverse relationship between the demographics of a particular place and how much "protesting" took place in the name of BLM.

The irony, of course, is that those young white people who claimed such conspicuous allegiance to that cause also conspicuously chose not to live in majority-black cities.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Jan 17, 2023 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
SoCal experienced the most widespread rioting and looting in 2020.
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Because there wasn't a corresponding murder rise in Canadian cities. Why would it be the case that the murder rate went way up in Portland and Seattle, but not their peer city of Vancouver? Why a huge increase in Chicago, but not its Great Lakes peer Toronto? The flu was 'invariant;' it was present in both nations. We have to look at variable factors instead.
Perhaps the disparity between Canadian and US murder rates has a lot to do with the disparity in the two countries' gun control laws?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the disparity between Canadian and US murder rates has a lot to do with the disparity in the two countries' gun control laws?
It wouldn't explain much in terms of the US itself, since gun laws did not change dramatically between 2019 and 2020. It's not much of a variable. A bigger variable would be something like enforcement of gun laws and laws in general.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 12:36 AM

Quote:
It wouldn't explain much in terms of the US itself, since gun laws did not change dramatically between 2019 and 2020. It's not much of a variable. A bigger variable would be something like enforcement of gun laws and laws in general.
I was responding to your post contrasting US and Canadian cities' murder rates--the disparity in gun laws almost certainly is responsible for the disparities.

As for this post here concerning the increase in murder rates within the US between 2019 and 2020, I think COVID and related health orders played a huge role. Murder rates started spiking in March of 2020, which is also when the shutdowns started.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 1:24 AM

Concerning any metric of well being whose statistics are recorded, its safe to say they were all in the shitter in 2020. Murder is no exception.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Concerning any metric of well being whose statistics are recorded, its safe to say they were all in the shitter in 2020. Murder is no exception.
It’ll probably go down as one of the worst years in modern US history, along with 1968.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 3:47 PM

Quote:
There was an increase in the homicide rate in Canada.

Quote:
A report from Statistics Canada shows the national homicide rate has increased for a third consecutive year and nearly one-quarter of killings in 2021 were connected to gangs.

There were 788 homicides in the country last year -- up three per cent from 2020. It marked the highest rate of homicides in Canada since 2005.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/last-y...nada-1.6162529
There were also George Floyd protests in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 6:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Source?

That and a better social safety net, even though it's increasingly full of holes.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Source?
You don't remember all the looting that took place in the Spring/Summer of 2020? It was pretty shocking watching all the looting on Melrose, Fairfax...I think even the Grove experienced some looting. It was pretty bad. Or are you just challenging the claim that looting in LA was the most widespread? That seems hard to quantify, but Chicago and New York both had a fair amount of looting, too, from what I remember. LA had mandatory citywide curfews for a few days. It was a really creepy time to be here.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 8:50 PM
Frequent Lurker

What's the source on the image in the original post? The website link shows protest locations, but nothing more.

I'm wondering what constitutes riot vs. battles and what were the instances of violence against civilians (perhaps that constitutes police brutality towards peaceful protests?). Also what is a "strategic development"?

It's hard to discuss the scope of events if the post's main map doesn't give much detail

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 9:43 PM

I'd love to read corporate memos from the plate glass industry. That must have been a banner year for sales. There are so many boarded up windows and completely vacant blocks in downtown Portland. Portland had some pretty extensive looting too. People broke into tons of fancy stores right in the middle of the CBD. Nordstrom now has armed security guards that look like wrestlers. The most egregious looting I saw video was downtown Santa Monica. It looked like a complete free for all.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 9:45 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
What's the source on the image in the original post? The website link shows protest locations, but nothing more.

I'm wondering what constitutes riot vs. battles and what were the instances of violence against civilians (perhaps that constitutes police brutality towards peaceful protests?). Also what is a "strategic development"?

It's hard to discuss the scope of events if the post's main map doesn't give much detail
Riot = property damage.
battle = both sides engaging like they do in Europe with the fireworks battles, after soccer games.
Looting? That could be considered with rioting I guess, but rioting is a different sort of thing than looting.
Quote:
I'd love to read corporate memos from the plate glass industry. That must have been a banner year for sales. There are so many boarded up windows and completely vacant blocks in downtown Portland. Portland had some pretty extensive looting too. People broke into tons of fancy stores right in the middle of the CBD. Nordstrom now has armed security guards that look like wrestlers. The most egregious looting I saw video was downtown Santa Monica. It looked like a complete free for all.
I was there recently and Portland had a bunch of construction going on, so it didn't seem that bad at least to me. I think there was about to be a marathon downtown so they might have spruced up the area?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2023, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
Riot = property damage.
battle = both sides engaging like they do in Europe with the fireworks battles, after soccer games.
Looting? That could be considered with rioting I guess, but rioting is a different sort of thing than looting.

I was there recently and Portland had a bunch of construction going on, so it didn't seem that bad at least to me. I think there was about to be a marathon downtown so they might have spruced up the area?
Its definitely stabilized. "Downtown" has effectively shifted north to the pearl district. That area is fine. Everything south of Burnside and north of the college is kind of a hodge podge right now. Its weird. We have luxury retailers like little islands surrounded by vacant store fronts. Neighborhood retail is 100 percent fine however.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
You don't remember all the looting that took place in the Spring/Summer of 2020? It was pretty shocking watching all the looting on Melrose, Fairfax...I think even the Grove experienced some looting. It was pretty bad. Or are you just challenging the claim that looting in LA was the most widespread? That seems hard to quantify, but Chicago and New York both had a fair amount of looting, too, from what I remember. LA had mandatory citywide curfews for a few days. It was a really creepy time to be here.
I didn't live here then, and yes I'm asking for a source proving badrunner's assertion that "SoCal experienced the most widespread rioting and looting in 2020." That's not obviously true.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 5:00 PM

Quote:
I didn't live here then, and yes I'm asking for a source proving badrunner's assertion that "SoCal experienced the most widespread rioting and looting in 2020." That's not obviously true.
Having followed the events very closely that's just what I observed. I guess you had to be there. There's extensive news reports and hours-long videos online documenting the whole thing, if you care to relive all that. It may not have been as violent or destructive as it was in other cities, but it was seemingly everywhere (much more widespread than the 1992 riots). We're talking from San Bernardino to Santa Monica to Long Beach and many places in between. Here's a partial list of protest/riot locations in LA county (and if you follow the links you can see a rundown of protests/violence in other cities as well): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...ty,_California

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 7:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

clearly with the longview and hindsight it was just another flare up of the long running civil rights protests that have regularly occurred since the end of the civil war.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 9:19 PM

what a time this was. watching all those streams from different cities that showed you 99% of what the news media WAS NOT showing. Minny started as the most interesting but NYC, Portland, Seattle (solely because of CHAZ), and DC were the "star cities" of the rioting (and had the best cams). Chicago with an honorable mention.

agree with those saying the rioting was so widespread in Socal. it was like everyday a new section was getting hit. melrose, hollywood, then long beach, then the valley, etc. crazy. many of the old timers still in their homes from the 92 riots strongly discouraged the rioting in their own neighborhood which could be one reason it became widespread in socal. a lot of people drove across town to participate (which happened in 92 also). social media really spread around the next spots that would get hit too.

Quote:
Portland should be its own case study simply for the duration and breadth of events. Id estimate events in earnest lasted all the way to Halloween of that year. All I will say is in this city, when you shut down society and schools, especially with summer approaching, expect terrible results. The apple store downtown still has a 20 ft high security perimeter surrounding it. The covid riots of 2020 is a more apt name as there were multiple topics being protested. People traveled here from across the country to protest and fight the cops.
Portland police really didn't play though. they cleared out blocks pretty effectively when they wanted to. and I was in Portland a few months ago and saw that Apple store. surprised it still needs to be guarded like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I'd put them a very close 2nd and 3rd. But not worse. Unless PNW riots had worse violence/deaths I'm unaware of. In terms of physical destruction, Minneapolis was definitely the king.
those first nights in Minny were hard to top destruction wise but Minny fell off after that as other cities ramped up. still surreal watching this though. truly apocalyptic. I remember watching this Minny stream live and was better than any movie. you see so much arson including a book store getting burned down, a kidnapping, a couple shootings, etc. It's 7 hours long (intense stuff starts roughly 4 hours in with the car fire explosion): https://youtu.be/cHcELsLF7cg?t=4069

Video Link

Last edited by Trae; Jan 18, 2023 at 9:43 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions