6. Bogota (122)
  7. Toronto (118)
  8. Miami (105)
  9. Palermo (121)
  10. Monterrey (116)
source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ngested-cities

Quote:
Research Methodology

The 2022 Scorecard builds upon the methodology adopted three years ago by identifying multiple commute areas within cities, capturing each city’s own unique mobility profile. Furthermore, the 2022 Scorecard analyses travel times, miles-travelled, trip characteristics and the impact of incidents on congestion within a city. From this multifaceted approach, a holistic understanding is achievable in an increasingly complex landscape.

The INRIX 2022 Global Traffic Scorecard calculates time lost in congestion by employing traffic data across multiple commute sub areas within a city. Commute sub areas are identified based upon the concentration of trips concluding within a defined area. An economic analysis was performed to estimate the total cost to the average driver in a city, and a total cost to the city population. Worst corridors are limited to those that have the highest traffic volume and are ranked by the average hours of delay per driver in 2022. Additional metrics are available online and in the full report.

https://inrix.com/press-releases/202...-scorecard-uk/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 5:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Lists missing Delhi, Jakarata, Lagos, and Dhaka are suspect.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Yeah, that was my first thought. I've heard Dhaka routinely has half-day-long traffic jams from the airport to business-class hotels. How can that be worse than London?

Even in Mexico, a simple rainfall can collapse the entire regionwide mobility. I've been stuck in an hours-long jam in Guadalajara for no other reason than rain.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I added the methodology. This probably explains why those places are missing:

Quote:
Data Sources

INRIX fuses anonymous data from diverse datasets – such as phones, cars, trucks, and cities – that leads to robust and accurate insights. The data used in the 2022 Global Traffic Scorecard is the congested or uncongested status of every segment of road for every minute of the day, as used by millions of drivers around the world that rely on INRIX-based traffic services.
TLDR - They likely don't have reliable data from those cities.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 6:07 PM

Palermo?! That’s a surprise.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 6:09 PM
Pay it Forward

London is a breeze compared to several cities off the top of my head, including those already mentioned in this thread, Bangkok and Manila also come to mind.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 7:48 PM

I'm surprised LA or San Francisco didn't make the cut.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 8:28 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Also, Los Angeles and The Bay area

can personally vouch for the traffic madness of Chicago and Toronto. ugh

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 8:37 PM
if I sang out of tune

London btw is actively trying to discourage car usage, almost every main street has had lanes taken out and pavements widened, and the remainder has bus lanes put in too, central reservations and bike lanes.

This one is Piccadilly, once a 5 lane stroad, now 2 lanes - the one on far left is a bus/ taxi lane, the last on the right has recently been resurfaced as pavement:

Likewise Regent Street

Oxford St - look at the far right and the difference in paving slabs. That's how narrow the pavement used to be back in the day (despite hosting half a million visitors a day)

Even planted blimming trees

It's not congested because car usage is high but because the council is making it as hellish as possible to drive.

The ULEZ (Ultra Low Emissions Zone) charges $15.20 daily for any car entering that is above a certain limit, on top of the $18.20 for congestion charging. Parking is $8.75 per hr, $6 for electric vehicles and impossible to find:

I wouldn't be surprised if next on the horizon for the indentured driver is they have to drive everywhere in reverse, or wear red clothing, or be naked.

Last edited by muppet; Jan 12, 2023 at 7:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
London btw is actively trying to discourage car usage, almost every main street has had lanes taken out and pavements widened...
I still sometimes have to think about it for a few seconds when "pavement" is used in British English.

For us Americans, "pavement" means any paved surface. Like "He fell of the motorcycle and his ass hit the pavement."

So, what do you guys call wooden sidewalks?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 9:02 PM
if I sang out of tune

hmm boardwalks? I'd no idea pavement meant that abroad.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 9:19 PM

Quote:
hmm boardwalks? I'd no idea pavement meant that abroad.
Pavement in the U.S. means any concrete or asphalt surface, not just the sidewalk. I think British use of pavement is what Americans call sidewalks.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 9:26 PM
if I sang out of tune

Interesting, in Britain we don't use concrete for roads, and not so much for pavement either, due to the damp wearing it away and making it black with mould/ stains within weeks. That's good for the er, sidewalk which tends to be stone or that yellowish gravel mix, or brick. But bad for the asphalt as everywhere is just black tarmac which looks horrible in our weather, as yeah light barely reaches ground. Kinda depressing:

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 4:54 PM

Seems to me that this is a list of cities making the correct decisions and investing in public transportation and not adding endless highway capacity. I'll take that second place as a badge of honor.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 5:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
The researchers who did the studies on congestion are probally still stuck in traffic to the airport, so they couldn't make it back to their offices to write the list, hence, these places are missing.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Interesting, in Britain we don't use concrete for roads, and not so much for pavement either, due to the damp wearing it away and making it black with mould/ stains within weeks. That's good for the er, sidewalk which tends to be stone or that yellowish gravel mix, or brick. But bad for the asphalt as everywhere is just black tarmac which looks horrible in our weather, as yeah light barely reaches ground. Kinda depressing:
Pavements in London are amazing. Down here, it's a disaster.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 6:28 PM
No grabbing my banana!

We use concrete pavement here in the U.S. for areas that have higher weight requirements. Concrete has a much higher compressive strength compared with asphalt, which is technically a liquid even when it "solidifies" after it is poured. This includes certain highways & freeways. In NYC, it includes the bus pads at many bus stops.

Asphalt has much less strength and lower durability. But we use it more than concrete for a few different reasons:

1. Costs. Asphalt is typically much cheaper to produce and lay down vs concrete. There is also no reinforcement required (well, there could be, but it makes no strategic sense because Asphalt will just wear down after 5-10 years, so having reinforcement inhibits quick resurfacing projects).
2. Time. Asphalt is a lot faster to lay down and solidify vs concrete.
3. Noise. Since Asphalt is softer than concrete, it tends to absorb tire & engine noise. Whereas harder concrete tends to reverberate it back to the surroundings.
4. Markings. Street markings like lane lines, crosswalks, and bike lanes will stick much longer to Asphalt before they wear away. These same markings will basically stick to concrete for a month before they wear away because it's a much slicker surface.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 1:46 AM

The congestion in Manila and Jakarta is a whole magnitude above anything in North America or Europe.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 3:29 AM

This thread should be renamed Western World's Most Congested Cities. Cities like Bangkok, Mumbai, and Dhaka are utterly ridiculous in terms of traffic.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 1:53 PM

Bogotá over Sao Paulo is also suspicious. I'm guessing it's selection of cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions