HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 1:20 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Well hopefully the renderings will be better because the mass model or schematic makes this look like a 1,067 ft bird house.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 3:23 PM

A nice tubular glass elevator in that neck area would be great.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 3:42 PM
BANNED

This is not only worse than the worst Kaufman, but GKA's are generally hidden on side streets. This will be front and center on 8th Ave., and sadly, it will be tall and in full view. This tower is going to be ATROCIOUS.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 5:43 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:

I still feel like this guy nails it.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 5:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
A nice tubular glass elevator in that neck area would be great.
From reading the updated description, they’re going to have indoor and outdoor space on all levels of the deck. There will also be a restaurant up there.

Meanwhile, Barnet’s competition for views is always evolving. 30 Rock’s updated platform - the wedding cake.

https://www.6sqft.com/30-rocks-new-s...-by-landmarks/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 6:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Hopefully nobody jumps off the wedding cake platform.

If that rendering is accurate, looks like someone can easily fall off of it (jumping over the glass). Kind of like those folks that caused a ruckus at The Vessel by leaping to their demise.

All it takes is one or two mentally ill or depressed folks (NY is full of them) to jump off of it before ugly fencing/nets and all that rubbish is pushed to be installed.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
That number was left in in error. It was revealed that this will be a hotel.

The Schedule A also reveals the breakdown of the floors below the obsevarory, though it now seems incomplete.

Rooms begin on the sixth floor:

6-20 (55 rooms per)

There is a roof bar on 34.
Then, this is even worse news. I can't recall seeing a nice new hotel building in NY in ages...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 7:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yeah actual hotels tend to be rubbish. A lot of your Kaufmans and Sam Changs rising or recently completed tend to congregate within Midtown West and the surrounding Korea Town and Garment District areas.

We are talking pure hospitality function, although your likely to find better designs within the mixed-use developments that have hospitality in them.

The crappy hotels seem to rise like weeds.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 7:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
Then, this is even worse news. I can't recall seeing a nice new hotel building in NY in ages...
How is it even worse news? You don’t get that many hotels this large built that often in the city. It’ll be a hotel/tourist attraction tower. It won’t be the new Grand Hyatt, but as far as the hotel goes, we just don’t know how good or bad.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
How is it even worse news? You don’t get that many hotels this large built that often in the city. It’ll be a hotel/tourist attraction tower. It won’t be the new Grand Hyatt, but as far as the hotel goes, we just don’t know how good or bad.
Worse news is that the ugly design will probably not change. Recent hotels are not known for their architectural quality. The current design will mar the NYC skyline.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 8:34 PM

I honestly don't get the hate for this thing. Sure it's weird, and it will probably be "ugly" to many, but what do people want instead? More wedding cakes? More crappy 600ft filler? This design is at least distinct, if nothing else.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 9:18 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesinmybackyard View Post
I honestly don't get the hate for this thing. Sure it's weird, and it will probably be "ugly" to many, but what do people want instead? More wedding cakes? More crappy 600ft filler? This design is at least distinct, if nothing else.
The massing is simply beyond awkward (and kind of ugly), to the point where the best facade on the planet couldn't make up for it.

But yea, I guess we'll see actual renderings in the future, I'll wait until then to judge too harshly.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 10:59 PM
BANNED

I'd take a short, fat, black glass, Solow-style box over this nutty design.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:22 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Curious about the official renderings. The mass models are disappointing IMO but maybe there's a reason behind all of this madness. This is Extell after all and they typically don't mess around. Maybe it could turn out to be something worthwhile.

One thing for sure is that anything that caters to tourism will be a big success, especially if its something that folks around the world will flock too.

That's why we've seen other developments go the tourism route with respect to their designs. An element of drawing tourists has been incorporated into their design and something that was essential from the very beginning. 30 Hudson comes to mind. The most defining attribute to that tower from a design point one could say is the actual Edge deck.

It could be that in the end, this might be one of the coolest things in town.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 12:31 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

who gives a hoot? it's times square. you don't go there anyway. it will make the tourists happy. so fine build it. let them have fun views of ts and the city without having to pay the highway robbery prices of these other new observatories. would you prefer another margaritaville hotel instead?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 12:37 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hell if they offer amazing views at dollar tree prices, I'd be there all the time.

I think most are just concerned with the impact on the aesthetics of the skyline. I know... I know... its Midtown... but depending on the design... until say the surroundings mask it (assuming bulk and height to mask it from really being prominent), it will be of concern for the aesthetic lovers.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 12:51 AM

I'm surprised it won't be covered up anyway. Why isn't Times Square far taller and denser than it is?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
who gives a hoot? it's times square. you don't go there anyway. it will make the tourists happy. so fine build it. let them have fun views of ts and the city without having to pay the highway robbery prices of these other new observatories. would you prefer another margaritaville hotel instead?
Why wouldn’t they charge highway robbery prices? Isn’t that what tourist traps are for?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:29 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

People will pay it too.

For us locals or people that have been to the city so many times, it doesn't phase us but for many, NYC is like the 2nd coming of Christ when they first go there. So Times Square, Central Park South and the Sabrett Hot Dog street vendors are all new and exciting things. Even the crazy guy with the broken headphones on 6th Avenue is considered exciting, even if he is yelling at 7 am during Tuesday rush hour.

If they are spending their vacation in NYC... they will pay. Its part of the "experience".

And they know this too. That's why they get away with the prices.

Although a little pricy, The Edge is worth every penny. They have a nice bar up there too... but the Edge is great. Spent hours up there last time I went. Worth the price.

1 WTC, even for its views, IMO, not worth it. Top of the Rock...yes! ESB... eh... crowded and overpriced. Best to go to Top of the Rock, Vandy and the Edge.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 2:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ true, but i would bet this one will be the err, most affordable, of the major new observatory experiences.

its tacky and its conveniently right in tacky ts -- so that will be the draw.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction