HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 8:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

more grand central madison opening day news:

Grand Central Madison brings LIRR service to the East Side, realizing decades-old dream

A train arriving at Grand Central Madison.

By Stephen Nessen
Published Jan 25, 2023 at 1:21 p.m.
Modified Jan 25, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.

New York’s long-delayed plan to bring Long Island Rail Road trains to Grand Central Terminal was finally realized on Wednesday, capping a project that’s as old as the MTA itself.

Just after 11 a.m., Gov. Kathy Hochul and hundreds of riders arrived aboard the first passenger train into Grand Central Madison, a terminal located 150 feet beneath the rail hub.

more:
https://gothamist.com/news/grand-cen...ades-old-dream

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 8:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

renders of the new jfk terminal 1 -

The project broke ground in September 2022 and the first phase is slated to be finished in 2026.

more:
https://untappedcities.com/2023/01/1...rt-terminal-2/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 8:50 PM
Show me the blueprints

I was watching some of the live streams this morning. Good to see a lot of enthusiastic people show up. Nothing much to reveal since we've seen pretty much the whole joint on the MTA flickr page and in other previews. It does look quite nice but the videos do a good job at really showing the bit of slog it takes to actually get down there. LOL at the temporary set of doors they had the install to "fix" their ventilation boner. That's so MTA.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 9:03 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ i’m going over tomorrow. i mite ride the shuttle to jamaica, but really i just want to look around and see the yayoi kusama and kiki smith artwork:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darrynk...h=1aca934751b6

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I was watching some of the live streams this morning. Good to see a lot of enthusiastic people show up. Nothing much to reveal since we've seen pretty much the whole joint on the MTA flickr page and in other previews. It does look quite nice but the videos do a good job at really showing the bit of slog it takes to actually get down there. LOL at the temporary set of doors they had the install to "fix" their ventilation boner. That's so MTA.
Are those doors confirmed temporary? Really hope so, they look so out of place, laughably so.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 6:44 AM
Show me the blueprints

The engineers are going to have to figure out how to balance the air pull of the ventilation. It's dragging air from the dining concourse down into the Madison concourse when it's not suppose to be. I have no idea whether or not the computer modeling they must have used when they engineered it was faulty. Janno Lieber made it crystal clear they're not paying a dime to fix the contractors screw up, so we'll see. Worst case scenario there's a handsome glass wall at the bottom of that escalator with some revolving doors. Hopefully it wont come to that.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ i’m going over tomorrow. i mite ride the shuttle to jamaica, but really i just want to look around and see the yayoi kusama and kiki smith artwork:
I remember that Kiki Smith was scheduled to speak at my college 20~ years ago but she didn't make it because of...flash flooding.

The beach mosaic was the only one that was "aggressive" in its concept, but I didn't sense that it really worked when I saw it.

Visits from famous artists at colleges were always hilarious. The person was usually 50+ and a bit burnt-out and/or a complete asshole. I remember going to one where the guy (can't remember his name) played whale noises over the PA for the entire length of his talk.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2023, 3:30 PM

The cavern well escalators have already begun to fail lol.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 1:56 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I remember that Kiki Smith was scheduled to speak at my college 20~ years ago but she didn't make it because of...flash flooding.

The beach mosaic was the only one that was "aggressive" in its concept, but I didn't sense that it really worked when I saw it.

Visits from famous artists at colleges were always hilarious. The person was usually 50+ and a bit burnt-out and/or a complete asshole. I remember going to one where the guy (can't remember his name) played whale noises over the PA for the entire length of his talk.
you were an art student in college? i should have guessed.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 2:01 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
The cavern well escalators have already begun to fail lol.
No they aren't. Some obnoxious teenage foamers were effing around and damaged something. They had it running a few hours later.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 2:10 AM
Show me the blueprints

Since I'm posting I just wanted to make a quick prediction about the name Grand Central Madison...

It will have a short life. Nobody likes saying it. It makes little sense to anyone other than a tourist who doesn't know anything, and even then actually lends confusion. No one is going to think of the LIRR tracks at GCT as anything other than Grand Central. And it makes even less sense referring to the service itself as Grand Central Madison as a replacement for ESA. The logo headboard they made for the first run will be one of the few things people remember of the name. I think MTA actually already know this. The destination boards say Grand Central. The destination LED on the train itself says Grand Central. Even the City ticket has Grand Central printed on it. I predict MTA will quietly scuttle the name and when it does need to refer to the deep LIRR area of GCT as a physical location it will just be called the Madison Concourse or the LIRR platforms.

They need to be told to stop trying to make Grand Central Madison happen.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 2:14 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

i only did a very quick walk through, missed some stuff and couldn't ride the jamaica shuttle, but anyway i did try to snap away ...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 3:16 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Looks good! Very bright... and very colourful.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 3:48 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

cuomo’s folly:

Train in vain: The MTA’s East Side Access boondoogle will make things worse for some

By Post Editorial Board
January 28, 2023

After 15 years of work and $11.6 billion spent, the much-vaunted East Side Access project linking the Long Island Railroad to east Midtown is finally fully operational, bringing a new era of convenience and speed to commuters in the greater metropolitan area.

Just kidding!

more:
https://nypost.com/2023/01/28/train-...orse-for-some/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 3:52 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

finally some action here —

Biden to visit NYC next week to discuss infrastructure investments in Hudson River rail tunnel

By Ben Brachfeld
Posted on January 23, 2023

President Joe Biden will visit New York City next week with plans to discuss investments by the administration in the Gateway rail tunnel project under the Hudson River.

A White House spokesperson confirmed that the president plans to visit the Big Apple on Tuesday, Jan. 31, noting the commander-in-chief will “discuss how Bipartisan Infrastructure Law funding for the Hudson River Tunnel project will improve reliability for the 200,000 passenger trips per weekday on Amtrak and New Jersey Transit.”

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/biden-w...r-rail-tunnel/

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 5:44 AM

AliExpress is having a sale on tunnel boring machines. With how long the Gateway project is taking, we could probably finish it ourselves

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 2:57 PM

New Metro-North Rail Service to Penn Station Postponed by Seven Months

By Michelle Kaske
January 30, 2023
Bloomberg

"A $2.9 billion project to extend Metro-North Railroad service into New York City’s Penn Station has been delayed by about seven months, Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials said Monday.

The hold up is because the MTA relies on the owner of the existing tracks, Amtrak, to allow access to those lines during construction. While the MTA has a deal with Amtrak to open up the tracks and provide staffing, it has yet to fully deliver on that commitment, Jamie Torres-Springer, president of the MTA’s Construction & Development, said Monday during a monthly committee meeting..."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...y-seven-months

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 2:59 PM
Show me the blueprints

So it's a repeat of whats happened at Harold interlocking because MTA/LIRR and Amtrak cant work together. Pathetic.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 3:28 PM

Who wants to take bets on the final cost/time overrun here? I'll go with 50% and three years.

The piles of cash that are getting poured down the drain just so each entity can rule of their own little kingdom with impunity are amazing.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 3:50 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I predict MTA will quietly scuttle the name and when it does need to refer to the deep LIRR area of GCT as a physical location it will just be called the Madison Concourse or the LIRR platforms.
Are the LIRR tracks numbered in the same scheme as the rest of the GCT tracks?

Honestly I don't love GCT - it's a rabbit warren just like Penn, just with a Beaux Arts veneer. The core of the station is beautiful obviously and it extends the city into the building, but the concourses are confusing / no spatial hierarchy. Signage is awful, it complements the architecture I guess but terrible to actually use. I spent 20 minutes trying to find a Metro-North train last year because the track it was on was not even mentioned in any of the directional signage.

Very clearly this was set up for commuters who use the station daily and can afford to memorize the layout, not much thought given to any other users. The "genius" of the station's designers is vastly overrated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation